Do you pray in the spirit?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you pray in the spirit?

• Yes I do

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • No I dont.

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
In my opinion Christians that have not received the baptism in the Holy Spirit with accompanying sign of tongues
But the have not recived the baptism of the Holy Ghost and clearly not with tounges.
fwiw i suggest that we are exposed to a ritual form of this baptism, when the real form is in real life.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Praying in the Spirit and walking in the Spirit are exactly what it says: in the Spirit instead of the flesh. Praying in the Spirit is always, always: "thy will be done". What is God's will?

John 12:24-25 KJV
[24] Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit. [25] He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal.

The Lord's will is that you: lose your life so that you might gain life eternal. Praying in the Spirit is praying for whatever is needed to accomplish this death. Nothing in this temporal world will ever satisfy. It is a harsh truth. I used to pray for my children's and grand children's success in this world. I wanted to watch them grow and achieve their hearts desire. Now I know it is all false and will never give them what they really need: a new heart. A relationship and nearness to GOd. So I pray for God to anchor those I love here until they have an opportunity to see him. That is all that matters. That they see Him. If it takes discomfort. Loss. Struggle. whatever it takes I know He promised (as a daughter) I can ask anything in His name and HE will give it. I don't look forward to the future. I know heartache is ahead for my family but the spirit is willing.

Hebrews 10:31-32 KJV
[31] It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God. [32] But call to remembrance the former days, in which, after ye were illuminated, ye endured a great fight of afflictions;

The light comes in and you finally see this world for what it is. We have been deceived by the enemy with his claim that he can give us what only God can give.
profound, up there around "success," especially imo, very nice

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's no competition for last place. The servant's place. The place Jesus chose for Himself and for us. ALL I really have to offer is love. The love of God. The gifts that God offers are offered in love. Not in some kind of superior "I know more than you about spiritual things" sort of spirit.

Freely we have received freely we must give. I have nothing to offer except the things God has given to me. He offers to all the same gifts. He is no respecter of persons. He looks at us as we look at our own children. We don't see one as smart or pretty or gifted. We just love them because they are ours.

If God's gifts are refused then those refusing are only depriving themselves. We cannot but speak the things that we've seen and heard. What saith the word? Always a good question.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I dont pray in teh spirit, I have a Father who I can talk to, so I do, He is not deaf, and His arms are not so short that He cannot reach me. SO ill leave teh praying in tongues to teh religious, and just enjoy my Fathers company.

Reactions: bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
There's no competition for last place. The servant's place.
ha, nice. Hard to compare with "run the race," but there it is. it is characterized as a contrast, when it is the same concept.
Obviously it is very hard for someone who imagines themselves an Emperor to assume the place of a servant; it therefore becomes a sort of "race." This is Scripture as Dialecticism.

Reactions: Pisteuo

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I dont pray in teh spirit, I have a Father who I can talk to, so I do, He is not deaf, and His arms are not so short that He cannot reach me. SO ill leave teh praying in tongues to teh religious, and just enjoy my Fathers company.
i see a very practical application of "tongues," but most ppl are not too interested in removing tongues from a church setting yet, i guess

Reactions: Ally.s.j

Ally.s.j

Nov 12, 2017
Manchester
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Better keep it to yourself then. Because if it is for your edification and is not to edify the church as Paul says, then it is between you and God. And since you have no witness to it..... it is like when Muhammad said something happened to him and a visitor of the Lord came to him, yet he had NO witnesses. So the issue is not if I believe in tongues but is if I believe you speak in tongues privately. You have no witnesses, you say it is for your personal edification then what were you edified in? And did you understand what was said? As Paul has said it is necessary to understand with the mind or it is unfruitful.
No I will not keep it to my self as that is stright of of the gospell according to you.
Do you not read in English either. I told you already I dont understand it or need to. I dont care that that is the case. I take God at His word. He tells us to build our selves up and I do that. If you have a problem with that. I cant do nothing with that or have any desire to have anything to do with that. I told you already I am nopt here to debate this with you or anyone else. You dont belive me. fine move on. What you think in a detrimental way affects me in no way what so ever. If you have something that edifies me or anyone please say so. If all you have is argument and trying to call me a liar. Keep it to your self. I aint interested. You as afar as I can see dont have a clue what your talking about. See Frank knows and you dont. That much is clear. I could go listen to Frank. But you have nothing but condemnation. And there is none of that in Christ.
So unless you have something good to say keep it to your self.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I dont pray in teh spirit, I have a Father who I can talk to, so I do, He is not deaf, and His arms are not so short that He cannot reach me. SO i'll leave the praying in tongues to the religious, and just enjoy my Fathers company.

Watch it mate...I may just reach over there and smack your little pointy head for you!! :D

Ally.s.j

Nov 12, 2017
Manchester
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So I am going up stairs to babbal for about one hour to grow and strengthen my ability to pray for extended periods of time. Its really a bending of the knee putting the flesh and self to death. Putting God and man ( The sick the needy the hungry) first. Its to kill off the desire to put me first. There are many things I could do or would like to do. But I concider all of them dung as Paul said. I want to die to self. and I want Gods heart for men and women. I want to live for God and man first and foremost.

SO to all how have said yes to tounges. Have you ever combined it with fasting. And did you see a bigger difference when combined? I belive this is very important. This is what really puts the flesh to death for good.

Reactions: Miss Hepburn

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know of someone who says he had a similar experience to yours. He said he was just sitting on his couch watching a movie, and suddenly, this intense feeling came over him that kind of made him double over and weep like a little wimp, as if he was grieving. With it came this inner peace, which is to say a far cry from what I see from many who was presumably "touched by the spirit" who role around on the floor foaming at the mouth screaming at the top of their lungs like a bunch of lunatics.
default_rofl.gif
default_rofl.gif
default_rofl.gif
default_rofl.gif

I have never seen them foam, but I have seen some pretty wild displays, that caused me some concern! Truth or Tradition ?

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have never seen them foam, but I have seen some pretty wild displays, that caused me some concern! Truth or Tradition ?

Well, I may have exaggerated the foaming at the mouth part a bit, but yep, according to what I have seen, the holy spirit will drive you practically insane, flopping around on the ground like some hardcore demon possessed schizophrenic off his medicine. It is circus acts like this that just makes a joke out of the faith as I see it. I don't know if I'd call it tradition, but it sure as hell ain't the truth.
default_dry.png

Last edited:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
SO to all how have said yes to tongues. Have you ever combined it with fasting. And did you see a bigger difference when combined? I believe this is very important. This is what really puts the flesh to death for good.

No never have.
I did have a year back in the 80's when God would wake me up at 4am on the dot. Every singe day for a whole year.
I would get out of bed knowing I was meting with the Lord.
I went into the other room and prayed in tongues for three hours until 7am ..when my hubby would be getting up...
That year was wonderful...and I did find that my mind was tuned sharply to God's voice all day. I could also discern sharply the things of the Spirit and the things of the flesh.
But, as we know, all things in God are " times and seasons"...nothing yet, is forever . After a year...the Lord no longer woke me up at 4am.

I wanted it...so I set my alarm for 4am. Notice the "I" set "my".....it was me not God. I got sleepily out of bed for two days and went into the other room...when I walked in I knew God Presence was not there.
( there is a difference between God being always with us, and God's felt Presence being with us) His heavy glorious Presence was not there.
For two days I prayed for those three hours 'til 7am.
But again..."I" prayed , it was not the Spirit's anointing praying through me.
I then gave up...it was only for that year...God's time.

Bless you...Helen

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I may have exaggerated the foaming at the mouth part a bit, but yep, according to what I have seen, the holy spirit will drive you practically insane, flopping around on the ground like some hardcore demon possessed schizophrenic off his medicine. It is circus acts like this that just makes a joke out of the faith as I see it. I don't know I'd call it tradition, but it sure as hell ain't the truth.
default_dry.png

Yes, I understand where you are coming from, there was a woman in our church that would start speaking in tongues, right in the middle of a Sermon, it would get me by surprise every time and totality disrupt the service, and rob me of any understanding I was receiving from the service. and there was never any Interpretation to edify the assembly!

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I understand where you are coming from, there was a woman in our church that would start speaking in tongues, right in the middle of a Sermon, it would get me by surprise every time and totality disrupt the service, and rob me of any understanding I was receiving from the service. and there was never any Interpretation to edify the assembly!

You are technically supposed to have an interpreter present, so for all the church knew, she could have been cursing God.

Ally.s.j

Nov 12, 2017
Manchester
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I seen them foaming at the mouth. Did it ever accure to any of the nay sayers that the Holy Ghost was purging then of demonic activity.
Why you all got so many opinions on something you clearly do not understand. You are ridiculing something that is of God.