Does a Father Reward Bad Behavior?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lately I have noticed us giving parenting advice to our grown children: to never reward bad behavior. It has become clear that enabling is rewarding bad behavior. While encouragement is the complete opposite: rewarding good behavior.

I notice threads discussing keeping the law and are we expected to, but if we are in Christ: God is no longer our Judge. He is our Father. There is still so much about my life that I see needs to be corrected. Bad behavior. I know He loves me and won't leave me but...Does a good Father Reward Bad Behavior?

OR does the Father only see Christ when He looks at me?

Proverbs 3:11-12 KJV
[11] My son, despise not the chastening of the Lord ; neither be weary of his correction: [12] For whom the Lord loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth.

Reactions: Truth

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
It has become clear that enabling is rewarding bad behavior. While encouragement is the complete opposite: rewarding good behavior.
this is pretty easy to agree with i guess huh. But "who told you that you were naked?" and making coats of skins for A&E kind of comes off as enabling almost, huh?

iow a judgement must be made for "enabling," even though it seems like a righteous judgement to me, but i dunno if it is

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lately I have noticed us giving parenting advice to our grown children: to never reward bad behavior. It has become clear that enabling is rewarding bad behavior. While encouragement is the complete opposite: rewarding good behavior.

I notice threads discussing keeping the law and are we expected to, but if we are in Christ: God is no longer our Judge. He is our Father. There is still so much about my life that I see needs to be corrected. Bad behavior. I know He loves me and won't leave me but...Does a good Father Reward Bad Behavior?

[11] My son, despise not the chastening of the Lord ; neither be weary of his correction: [12] For whom the Lord loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth.

well you are correct about the Father sees Christ when He looks at you because you've received the same Life, but what pleases the Father is the fulfillment of the Son's Life in you.

the sin isn't rewarded the repentance is accepted. that what ever is repented from is replaced with that which is of the Life of Christ which is of the Father. so yes correction is the action of the Father's Love for the child that He be according to the Life given the child by the Father in the son ship the relationship given us by Jesus His Beloved Son.

but without repentance, there is no means of correction, just strips, to put it in scriptural terms. but as Paul says what is of the Lord survives the Fire the rest is a goner.

remember the ministry of Jesus Christ is Mercy, Healing, acceptance of repentance, and the disregard for the accuser of God's People.
and that ministry of Grace continues through out the Life lived by the born again.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Bad behavior is sinful behavior. I don't believe God hands out rewards to those who sin.

The wages of is death.

o

Goodness you are a hard man....what about mercy, what about correction?
Can you yourself live the 'perfect life' without any bad behaviour ???
If you believe what you said...what image do you hold about God?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Goodness you are a hard man....what about mercy, what about correction?
Can you yourself live the 'perfect life' without any bad behaviour ???
If you believe what you said...what image do you hold about God?
Ah yes, and... in spite of the evil ways of men:

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16

Reactions: pia

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Bad behavior is sinful behavior. I don't believe God hands out rewards to those who sin.

The wages of is death.

o
And the wages of sin was paid for IN FULL by Jesus "ONCE FOR ALL"..........why can't people get that. SIN is no longer an issue with God, it is US who keep putting it into focus, and doing it, because of fear and doubt...We keep our distance from Him because of it, and how can we become useful if w can't even understand that we can now stand in His presence IN CHRIST.....Paul also writes somewhere that no more sacrifice is necessary.....

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And the wages of sin was paid for IN FULL by Jesus "ONCE FOR ALL"..........why can't people get that. SIN is no longer an issue with God, it is US who keep putting it into focus, and doing it, because of fear and doubt...We keep our distance from Him because of it, and how can we become useful if w can't even understand that we can now stand in His presence IN CHRIST.....Paul also writes somewhere that no more sacrifice is necessary.....

If that were true, there would be no mention of it in His Word. Paul never would have included that verse in his letter to the Romans.

Show me from the Word that states sin is no longer an issue for God or us.

o

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
OK
If that were true, there would be no mention of it in His Word. Paul never would have included that verse in his letter to the Romans.

Show me from the Word that states sin is no longer an issue for God or us.

o
It will take me a little while, as I will look up what I can recall from the Bible, since almost no one will take His word for anything.....Actually I'm sure I have seen many a post from 'mjrhealth' which covers all of this....I'll get back to you ( remind me if I forget please )..........Blessings Pia

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can't find the verse, but I know somewhere in His word it says that: a parent that does not discipline their child, doesn't love their child. The reason I asked the question of whether or not a father rewards bad behavior? One) it gets us away from the works of the Law, because He is now our Father whom we should long to please; not out of work but out of love and gratitude. Two) What about action? A Father can claim to love their child but if they are absent and uninvolved in the rearing of that child...is that love or empty words. I don't believe that is how our Father(God) parents His. I think He is very active in parenting His children. When I think of love; love is not a bunch of declarations of words, but action. I know God loves me because He sent His only begotten Son to die in my place on a tree. I know Christ loves me because love held Him to that cross, not nails. The Lord's action being His arms spread wide, nails driven through the palms (or wrist: not sure which) for us. That is action. My bad behavior is that I am all words and speech, with no action. I say I love the Father, but what action demonstrates those declarations of deep affection and love? It is not about earning the love of the Father. If I am being honest: I am a complainer. I lay in bed at night and look at my action(the disobedience) aside from the words, and ask: why would I expect a good Father to reward my behavior? Shouldn't action always follow words? He loves us; therefore He does not reward bad behavior that would harm us.

We are learners. Disciples.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen and bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
nice. where we suffer indicates where we are separated from God, and ya you are going to suffer any separation, especially after you have pledged to follow Christ. Even belief is enough seed imo to make the rest of your life hell if you resist

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

There was but One perfect Being, Our Lord and Savior, Should we sin that Grace might Abound! God Forbid! we will all at some point and time fall flat on our Face, the thing that will bring us up on our Feet is TRUE Repentance, For God knows the Heart of the Repenter ! we can not slip a false plea passed the God of creation, this is the Key. I work were I have to deal with the Public daily, and there are times that I could choke some of them, this is within myself, so I just keep showing a respectful Attitude towards them and push on and try to consider what they might be going through, and ask for my savior to overlook my inner thoughts.

KBCid

Dec 22, 2011
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I notice threads discussing keeping the law and are we expected to, but if we are in Christ: God is no longer our Judge. He is our Father.

You should gain the correct answer Christ's words;
John 5:13 And he that was healed wist not who it was: for Jesus had conveyed himself away, a multitude being in that place. 14 Afterward Jesus findeth him in the temple, and said unto him, Behold, thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee.

Now here is small question for you.... was the healed man above considered a son by the Father? Keep in mind he did not know Christ so could not have been "in Christ"

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You should gain the correct answer Christ's words;
John 5:13 And he that was healed wist not who it was: for Jesus had conveyed himself away, a multitude being in that place. 14 Afterward Jesus findeth him in the temple, and said unto him, Behold, thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee.

Now here is small question for you.... was the healed man above considered a son by the Father? Keep in mind he did not know Christ so could not have been "in Christ"

It is no small question. You will find the answer here:

1 Samuel 19:8-24 KJV
[8] And there was war again: and David went out, and fought with the Philistines, and slew them with a great slaughter; and they fled from him. [9] And the evil spirit from the Lord was upon Saul, as he sat in his house with his javelin in his hand: and David played with his hand. [10] And Saul sought to smite David even to the wall with the javelin; but he slipped away out of Saul's presence, and he smote the javelin into the wall: and David fled, and escaped that night. [11] Saul also sent messengers unto David's house, to watch him, and to slay him in the morning: and Michal David's wife told him, saying, If thou save not thy life to night, to morrow thou shalt be slain. [12] So Michal let David down through a window: and he went, and fled, and escaped. [13] And Michal took an image, and laid it in the bed, and put a pillow of goats' hair for his bolster, and covered it with a cloth. [14] And when Saul sent messengers to take David, she said, He is sick. [15] And Saul sent the messengers again to see David, saying, Bring him up to me in the bed, that I may slay him. [16] And when the messengers were come in, behold, there was an image in the bed, with a pillow of goats' hair for his bolster. [17] And Saul said unto Michal, Why hast thou deceived me so, and sent away mine enemy, that he is escaped? And Michal answered Saul, He said unto me, Let me go; why should I kill thee? [18] So David fled, and escaped, and came to Samuel to Ramah, and told him all that Saul had done to him. And he and Samuel went and dwelt in Naioth. [19] And it was told Saul, saying, Behold, David is at Naioth in Ramah. [20] And Saul sent messengers to take David: and when they saw the company of the prophets prophesying, and Samuel standing as appointed over them, the Spirit of God was upon the messengers of Saul, and they also prophesied. [21] And when it was told Saul, he sent other messengers, and they prophesied likewise. And Saul sent messengers again the third time, and they prophesied also. [22] Then went he also to Ramah, and came to a great well that is in Sechu: and he asked and said, Where are Samuel and David? And one said, Behold, they be at Naioth in Ramah. [23] And he went thither to Naioth in Ramah: and the Spirit of God was upon him also, and he went on, and prophesied, until he came to Naioth in Ramah. [24] And he stripped off his clothes also, and prophesied before Samuel in like manner, and lay down naked all that day and all that night. Wherefore they say, Is Saul also among the prophets?

How can a man "sin no more"? how can a man escape? An scapegoat? How was David sinless before God? How about Noah? Jacob? Enoch? How about Samson? The problem is we idolize these men, when the men are not what OR WHO is to be seen. Christ tore off the gate and carried it up the hill upon His shoulders. Christ is the ark one is hidden and safe within when destruction comes. Christ slayed the enemy. HE became the sheep in goat skin, receiving the Fathers blessing. Was God the Father of Jacob? Noah? ...

How can the man pick up his filthy, unclean sick bed...and walk. There is only ONE way. If the man did indeed "sin no more" then yes, God is his father. Because there is only one way to be sinless. Why this miracle?

Matthew 12:11-12 KJV
[11] And he said unto them, What man shall there be among you, that shall have one sheep, and if it fall into a pit on the sabbath day, will he not lay hold on it, and lift it out? [12] How much then is a man better than a sheep? Wherefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pisteuo