Does forgiveness require atonement?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ian74

Apr 10, 2022
Wakefield
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
This question is on my mind as a new convert.

I have lived a bad life. Lied, cheated, stolen. Abused alcohol and drugs. Acted with cruelty and violence. Exploited others. Acted on lust. Blasphemed.

Is it enough to just turn my back on that life and move forward? Because truly, I have no desire to return to those ways.

Whilst I have suffered myself as a result of living that way, that suffering was a direct consequence of my own actions

My feeling is I should focus on now, not dwell on my past. But another part of me feels that forgiveness needs to be earned.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

I have lived a bad life. Lied, cheated, stolen. Abused alcohol and drugs. Acted with cruelty and violence. Exploited others. Acted on lust. Blasphemed.

Is it enough to just turn my back on that life and move forward? Because truly, I have no desire to return to those ways.

Whilst I have suffered myself as a result of living that way, that suffering was a direct consequence of my own actions

My feeling is I should focus on now, not dwell on my past. But another part of me feels that forgiveness needs to be earned.
Hi @Ian74.

If you get a Bible, read John's First Epistle, chapter 1. (At the end of the NT the books are 1 Peter, 2 Peter, 1 John, 2 John, 3 John, Jude, Revelation...) in 1 John 1 - a short chapter - you will read about cleansing and walking in the light and fellowship with the Father and with His Son Jesus Christ, and with others who walk in the light.

This all comes about because of trust by faith in the work of Christ at the Cross.

The chapter which I mentioned earlier also - Romans 8 - is tremendous, with much assurance for the believer.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

If you have courage to take your question and run with it......to be like a dog with a bone and not let go......an inextinguishable light will go on.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes repentance requires works.

Matthew 3:8-10

King James Version

8 Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:

9 And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.

10 And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Forgiveness is a free gift from God's grace. See Romans 5:15-16.

How you respond to God's free gift is up to you.

40 And Jesus responded and said to him, “Simon, I have something to say to you.” And he replied, “Say it, Teacher.” 41 “A moneylender had two debtors: the one owed five hundred denarii, and the other, fifty. 42 When they were unable to repay, he canceled the debts of both. So which of them will love him more?
(Luke 7:40-42)