Does God demand Fealty?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is fealty to God the gospel? Did Jesus die to forgive our sins so that we could be in a serf/slave relationship with Him?

Seems to me that God doesn’t demand sacrifice, but a contrite and broken heart.....Jesus told us we were not longer slaves, but friends.....

Jesus did not preach fealty.....He preached love.

God wants a relationship with us - our groveling and false worship gets in the way of loving Him and our neighbor.

What do you think?

Reactions: Willie T

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well not being a trinitarian I would say that Jesus and any believer is a slave or servant and has fealty or allegiance (not in a bondage way) to God, in a loving way. Yes, even Jesus as an immortal today owes loyalty to God, without question.

Fealty to God is not the gospel. It is a byproduct of accepting the gospel, in a loving way.

And for me, Jesus is my brother in love, although entitled to adoration since his ascension to immortality the heaven. I am in service to Jesus and our Father, in love.

Fealty maybe a harsh or unnecessary word used in our relationship with Jesus and our Father. We are not slaves to a human King as the word is derived from...

Blessings,

APAK

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is fealty to God the gospel? Did Jesus die to forgive our sins so that we could be in a serf/slave relationship with Him?

Seems to me that God doesn’t demand sacrifice, but a contrite and broken heart.....Jesus told us we were not longer slaves, but friends.....

God wants a relationship with us - our groveling and false worship gets in the way of loving Him and our neighbor.

What do you think?

Aspen, it is late here so this answer will have to be quick. I think God wants reverence. The no longer servants but friends still confuses me. Since Paul gladly said: 2 Timothy 1:8
[8] Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God;

As far as reverence, and I have no problem calling Him Lord, this reverence seems to be in knowing He is what is good for us. There is nothing God withholds...not even the only begotten Son. It is respect and out of that love. No, I don’t think He wants groveling or robots but to bless us. I’m beginning to think the only free will we really have that matters, is the free will to return His love.

Might think of more later as I consider your topic. It is a good one and something to think on.

Reactions: aspen

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

What do you think?

aspen,

It's not what I think, it's what the Bible states.

The Greek word, doulos (singular) or douloi (plural) - these are nominative case forms - is used about 150 times in the NT in referring to Christian believers as a slave or slaves.

The Hebrew equivalent is used about 250 times in the OT to refer to believers.

The Bible speaks of human beings formerly as "slaves of sin" and now "slaves of righteousness". We have to deal with the fact that a doulos is a slave and not a servant. Some of the translations have gone soft on translating this word as servant.
I Corinthians 7:22 (NIV) should help to clarify the Christians relationship before and after conversion:

"For the one who was a slave when called to faith in the Lord is the Lord’s freed person; similarly, the one who was free when called is Christ’s slave".​

Oz

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What do you think?

default_hmm.gif
Well, considering the significance you put on 'love', would you agree that God at least demands fealty to that? I don't recall there being any other option given for the 'saint'.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What do you think?

I think we need to define some terms here first, Aspen. Fealty generally means allegiance, loyalty or faithfulness, which are hard things to argue against in the context of serving God.
https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/fealty

Sure you were wanting to use this particular word? Maybe you meant another one more specifically.

Last edited:
B

brakelite

According to 1Corinthians 15:28 even Jesus surrenders all rights and privileges becoming wholly subject to God, His Father. Ought we to do less?