Does God expect us to obey the hundreds of NT commands on day one of our service to be saved?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Holy Spirit also testifies to us about this. First he says:

16 “This is the covenant I will make with them
after that time, says the Lord.
I will put my laws in their hearts,
and I will write them on their minds
.”b]">[b]

17 Then he adds:

“Their sins and lawless acts
I will remember no more.” Heb10:15-17

You show that you are a letter from Christ, the result of our ministry, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts. 2Cor3:3

So, my brothers and sisters, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God. 5 For when we were in the realm of the flesh,a]">[a] the sinful passions aroused by the law were at work in us, so that we bore fruit for death. 6 But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code. Rom7:4-6

Also, it needs to be worth noting that Romans 7:14-24 is Paul speaking from his past experience of when he was a Pharisee while he was under the 613 Laws of Moses. So when we read the word “flesh” in Romans 8, this is in reference to not only justifying sin, but it would be in reference to those who are seeking to be justified by the Old Law. Paul makes it clear that if we seek to be justified by the Law (i.e. the Old Law as a whole), we have fallen from grace (Galatians 5:4). This again is the Law of Moses because it was tied to the problem of Circumcision Salvationism (Galatians 5:2) (Acts 15:1) (Acts 15:5) (Acts 15:24).

Romans 8:4 says,
“That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.”

What is the righteousness of the Law?

Well, I see the righteous aspect or part of the Old Law as being the Moral Law.

In Romans 13:8-10, we keep the moral laws in the Old Testament by the new way of loving our neighbor. For love fulfills the Law (i.e. the Old Law). Meaning, if you love your neighbor, you will automatically fulfill all the requirements of the Old Law (even though the Old Law is technically no more as a whole or package deal).

Romans 8:13 (NIV) says:
“For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live.”

In other words, Romans 8:13 makes it clear that if we live after the flesh (sin or being under the whole of the Old Law), we will die (die spiritually), but if we put to death the misdeeds of the body by the Spirit, we will live (i.e. live eternally).

The Old Law has nothing to do with the Law of Christ.
Paul himself says he is not under the Law in Romans 6:14.
This would be the Old Law.
Yet, in 1 Corinthians 9:21, he says is under the Law of Christ.
In Romans 8:2, we see that keeping the one law (i.e. the Law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus) makes us free from the other law (i.e. the law of sin and death - which is the 613 Laws of Moses).

Last edited:
Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, you need to believe in the blood for salvation (Romans 3:25), but you also have to believe 1 John 1:7, too.

1 John 1:7 says if you walk in the light as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another and the blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin.

What is walking in the light?

1 John 2:9-11 by the indirect wording lets us know that loving your brother = walking in the light.

So you have to love your brother in order for the blood of Jesus to continue to cleanse you from all sin.

If you decide to not walk in the light, you are no longer saved.

The word IF is conditional.

So according to your philosophy believers can get born again- then have a bad day and get unborn again. Teh get born again -again- have a bad day then get unborn again -again. then get born again-again-again, have a bad day and get unborn again-again-again. etcv.etc.etc AD nauseum.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Also, it needs to be worth noting that Romans 7:14-24 is Paul speaking from his past experience of when he was a Pharisee while he was under the 613 Laws of Moses. So when we read the word “flesh” in Romans 8, this is in reference to not only justifying sin, but it would be in reference to those who are seeking to be justified by the Old Law. Paul makes it clear that if we seek to be justified by the Law (i.e. the Old Law as a whole), we have fallen from grace (Galatians 5:4). This again is the Law of Moses because it was tied to the problem of Circumcision Salvationism (Galatians 5:2) (Acts 15:1) (Acts 15:5) (Acts 15:24).

Romans 8:4 says,
“That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.”

What is the righteousness of the Law?

Well, I see the righteous aspect or part of the Old Law as being the Moral Law.

In Romans 13:8-10, we keep the moral laws in the Old Testament by the new way of loving our neighbor. For love fulfills the Law (i.e. the Old Law). Meaning, if you love your neighbor, you will automatically fulfill all the requirements of the Old Law (even though the Old Law is technically no more as a whole or package deal).

Romans 8:13 (NIV) says:
“For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live.”

In other words, Romans 8:13 makes it clear that if we live after the flesh (sin or being under the whole of the Old Law), we will die (die spiritually), but if we put to death the misdeeds of the body by the Spirit, we will live (i.e. live eternally).

So to you Jesus did not forgive all your sins, His blood is not enough to save you to the uttermost.

It seems you believe something like, Jesus death and resurrection gave you a ticket to be saved, but you have to maintain a level of works or you are tossed out!

Reactions: mailmandan

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So according to your philosophy believers can get born again- then have a bad day and get unborn again. Teh get born again -again- have a bad day then get unborn again -again. then get born again-again-again, have a bad day and get unborn again-again-again. etcv.etc.etc AD nauseum.

It's not I that teaches this, but the Bible itself.

Demonstration:

In Luke 15, we learn in the parable of the prodigal son that when the prodigal son came home and sought forgiveness with his father from living it up with prostitutes, his father said he was “dead” and he is “alive AGAIN.” Obviously the prodigal son did not die physically, so this must be speaking in spiritual terms. The prodigal son was dead spiritually while he was living it up with prostitutes and he became alive again spiritually when he came back home to his father seeking forgiveness with Him. In fact, this same truth is taught in James 5:19-20. So you would have to change that passage, too (in order to make your sin and still be saved type belief work).

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So to you Jesus did not forgive all your sins, His blood is not enough to save you to the uttermost.

It seems you believe something like, Jesus death and resurrection gave you a ticket to be saved, but you have to maintain a level of works or you are tossed out!

This sounds like you have chosen to believe in fiction over what the Bible says on the blood in regards to salvation.
In other words, do you just ignore 1 John 1:7?
Do you seek to change it because you don't like what it says?

Daydreamer

Oct 2, 2022
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
This would be the 613 laws of Moses as a whole or package deal.
New Covenant believers are not under the whole of the 613 laws of Moses.
It does not mean we are not under moral laws as a part of eternal life (After we are saved by God's grace).
The following relates to the 613 laws given at Sanai?:

.”b]">[b]

17 Then he adds:

You show that you are a letter from Christ, the result of our ministry, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts. 2Cor3:3

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The following relates to the 613 laws given at Sanai?:

.”b]">[b]

17 Then he adds:

Many believers today misinterpret 2 Corinthians 3:3, and 2 Corinthians 3:6.

1 Corinthians 3:6 says,

“Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.” (2 Corinthians 3:6).

Now, this verse is not saying that we are to interpret Scripture in a literal way over some overly spiritualistic interpretation (i.e. read the Bible as metaphor when it does not align with what you like to hear). The letter that kills is in reference to the Torah or the Old Testament Law of Moses (the 613 Laws of Moses given to Israel). The context is referring to the two different ways each of these covenants began and it's not talking about the letter in general like the literal commands of Jesus or His followers.

The Old Covenant Law of Moses BEGAN with the letter with the two tablets of stone, and the written Torah.

The New Covenant BEGAN with the audible words of Jesus Christ, and His apostles, and the guidance of the Holy Spirit, and not by the letter like with the Law of Moses. That is the point Paul was making. We are now under a New Covenant (Which means we are to serve in newness of spirit and not in the oldness of the letter - Romans 7:6). The oldness of the letter is the Torah or the Old Testament Law of Moses. We are not to serve by looking to the Law of Moses. Yes, all believers (who are truly faithful) are guided by the Holy Spirit, but the Spirit is not going to guide us into any wrongdoing, but the Spirit is going to guide us to obey what the New Testament says. The Spirit is not going to guide us into obeying the whole of the Law of Moses. The Law of Moses as a whole or package deal is no more.

The context of 2 Corinthians 3:6 shows the differences of the two covenants.

2 Corinthians 3:3, 2 Corinthians 3:7, 2 Corinthians 3:12-17 says,

[3] “Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart. [7] But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away: [12] Seeing then that we have such hope, we use great plainness of speech: [13] And not as Moses, which put a vail over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished: [14] But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ. [15] But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart. [16] Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away. [17] Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.”

The context is not saying for us to look at Scripture in a non-literal way (because we are guided by the Spirit), and if you do it will bring death. The point Paul was making is that the Old Law is no more. For in the Old Law it did bring death because if somebody disobeyed God's commands in the Old Testament, you could be stoned and or killed physically by God's people (the Israelites). This does not mean we can turn God's grace into a license for immorality by saying that Jesus paid for all future sin or by just believing in Jesus alone for salvation. This is not to oversimplify God's commands in loving God and others in a way that we want when God has given us more than just the two greatest commands. In fact, obeying the 400 approximate commands in the New Testament is a partial fulfillment of the 1st greatest commandment. For to love God with all your heart is to keep His commandments. For Jesus says if you love me, keep my commandments (John 14:15). Just painting a broad brush stroke of loving God and your neighbor without truly seeking to obey all of what God says in His Word is to simply follow our own way of thinking vs. simply following what God's Word says.

It's hypocritical to use Scripture in what you believe is a literal reading of Scripture to condemn that very idea or concept (if that is what you are proposing). For if we are not to regard the ink (New Testament Scripture) and we are just to be guided by the Spirit only, then you cannot use the ink (NT Scripture) to make your case on that point. Also, 2 Timothy 3:16-17 shows that all Scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine and instruction in righteousness so that the man of God may be perfect unto all good works.

Daydreamer

Oct 2, 2022
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Many believers today misinterpret 2 Corinthians 3:3, and 2 Corinthians 3:6.

1 Corinthians 3:6 says,

“Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.” (2 Corinthians 3:6).

Now, this verse is not saying that we are to interpret Scripture in a literal way over some overly spiritualistic interpretation (i.e. read the Bible as metaphor when it does not align with what you like to hear). The letter that kills is in reference to the Torah or the Old Testament Law of Moses (the 613 Laws of Moses given to Israel). The context is referring to the two different ways each of these covenants began and it's not talking about the letter in general like the literal commands of Jesus or His followers.

The Old Covenant Law of Moses BEGAN with the letter with the two tablets of stone, and the written Torah.

The New Covenant BEGAN with the audible words of Jesus Christ, and His apostles, and the guidance of the Holy Spirit, and not by the letter like with the Law of Moses. That is the point Paul was making. We are now under a New Covenant (Which means we are to serve in newness of spirit and not in the oldness of the letter - Romans 7:6). The oldness of the letter is the Torah or the Old Testament Law of Moses. We are not to serve by looking to the Law of Moses. Yes, all believers (who are truly faithful) are guided by the Holy Spirit, but the Spirit is not going to guide us into any wrongdoing, but the Spirit is going to guide us to obey what the New Testament says. The Spirit is not going to guide us into obeying the whole of the Law of Moses. The Law of Moses as a whole or package deal is no more.

The context of 2 Corinthians 3:6 shows the differences of the two covenants.

2 Corinthians 3:3, 2 Corinthians 3:7, 2 Corinthians 3:12-17 says,

[3] “Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart. [7] But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away: [12] Seeing then that we have such hope, we use great plainness of speech: [13] And not as Moses, which put a vail over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished: [14] But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ. [15] But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart. [16] Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away. [17] Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.”

The context is not saying for us to look at Scripture in a non-literal way (because we are guided by the Spirit), and if you do it will bring death. The point Paul was making is that the Old Law is no more. For in the Old Law it did bring death because if somebody disobeyed God's commands in the Old Testament, you could be stoned and or killed physically by God's people (the Israelites). This does not mean we can turn God's grace into a license for immorality by saying that Jesus paid for all future sin or by just believing in Jesus alone for salvation. This is not to oversimplify God's commands in loving God and others in a way that we want when God has given us more than just the two greatest commands. In fact, obeying the 400 approximate commands in the New Testament is a partial fulfillment of the 1st greatest commandment. For to love God with all your heart is to keep His commandments. For Jesus says if you love me, keep my commandments (John 14:15). Just painting a broad brush stroke of loving God and your neighbor without truly seeking to obey all of what God says in His Word is to simply follow our own way of thinking vs. simply following what God's Word says.

It's hypocritical to use Scripture in what you believe is a literal reading of Scripture to condemn that very idea or concept (if that is what you are proposing). For if we are not to regard the ink (New Testament Scripture) and we are just to be guided by the Spirit only, then you cannot use the ink (NT Scripture) to make your case on that point. Also, 2 Timothy 3:16-17 shows that all Scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine and instruction in righteousness so that the man of God may be perfect unto all good works.
Could you answer the question please. Does The following relate to the 613 laws given at Sanai?:

.”b]">[b]

17 Then he adds:

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Could you answer the question please. Does The following relate to the 613 laws given at Sanai?:

.”b]">[b]

17 Then he adds:

Thank you for your patience on my reply back.
I will answer your question here in just a moment.
I first wanted to say…

The first shall be last and the last shall be first
(Matthew 20:16).

1. The order of the Bodily Resurrections: Those who are Raptured (or Caught Up) either before the Tribulation of the 1st three and a half years of the Tribulation will be resurrected on the New Earth (after the Millennium). Those who are beheaded for Jesus in the Tribulation (after the Rapture) will go through the Millennium (See: Revelation 20:4-5). So the first shall be last and the last shall be first.

2. The Jews as a nation rejected their Messiah (even though they were chosen first). When they rejected their Messiah, salvation then had fallen to the Gentiles (last). Gentiles are now living out the New Covenant promise first as a whole. However, it will not be until the Millennium until the Jews as a whole (or as a nation) will be living out the New Covenant promised according to Jeremiah 31. So the first shall be last and the last shall be first.

This above point in Hebrews 10:16 shows that this New Covenant promise is for two different people groups living in two different periods in time. I say this because Jeremiah 31 sounds like it is talking about the time of the Millennium (if you were to reread it more closely). But the writer of Hebrews brings this promise for our current New Covenant now, too.

But which law in Hebrews 10:16 is to be written upon hearts and minds?

It is the laws or fruits of the Spirit. Love, joy, peace, etcetera (See: Galatians 5:22-23). Note: This does not mean this truth releases us from keeping the commands that come from Jesus and His followers because those things are simply a part of our faith. It merely shows the superiority and uniqueness of the New Covenant.

In the OT: Only kings and prophets had the Spirit (Numbers 11:29).

Note: This does not mean that OT saints were not guided by the Spirit to some capacity, but the Spirit came upon prophets and kings. Today, believers are prophets and kings (Revelation 1:6).

Anyways, while being born again or having a changed heart was something I believe the Israelite had to seek (i.e. to be circumcised in heart) (see my write up with Scripture here), the New Covenant is about automatically receiving a new heart when we accept Jesus Christ as our personal Lord and Savior. We no longer have to seek or work to be circumcised in heart with God or to seek a clean heart (Psalms 51:10). God just gives us a new heart as a part of the New Covenant promise. A changed heart by the Spirit for all is also a means by which a person will bring forth good fruit automatically. We see this with the woman who continually keep kissing Jesus’ feet and washed them with her tears (i.e. anointing them).

The problem with reading the Bible using absolutes is that it leads to error in my humble opinion. The Canaanite woman found a law of exception when Jesus said he did not come for the Gentiles. The more I study God’s Word more closely over the years, the more He has shown me these kinds of clauses of exceptions vs. looking at verses always as absolutes (with no exceptions).

In any event, love, peace, and blessings be unto you in name of the Lord Jesus (even if we may disagree).

Last edited:

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ad nauseam indeed. Now in regards to 1 John 1:7, in 1 John 1:6, we read - If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin. Walking in darkness is 'descriptive' of children of the devil. Walking in the light is 'descriptive' of children of God. Only those who are saved/believers are in the light.

Acts 26:18 - to open their eyes, in order to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and an inheritance among those who are sanctified by faith in Me.

2 Corinthians 6:14 - Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness?

Ephesians 5:8 - for you were formerly darkness, but now you are Light in the Lord; walk as children of Light. Children of the devil walk in darkness, not in the light. Children of God walk in the light, not in darkness. IF confirms these positions in verses 6 and 7. It's one or the other.

In 1 John 2:9, we read - He who says he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in darkness until now. Verse 10 - But he who hates his brother is in darkness and walks in darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.

*Compare with 1 John 3:10 - In this the children of God and the children of the devil are manifest: Whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, (compare with 1 John 1:6 - does not practice the truth) nor is he who does not love his brother. *Notice that "walks in darkness" and "hates his brother" is connected with "children of the devil."

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It's called "type 2 works salvation" and it's s false gospel. (Galatians 1:6-9) Christ saves us through faith based on the merits of His finished work of redemption alone and not based on the merits of our works. (Romans 3:24-28; 4:5-6; 5:1; Ephesians 2:8,9 etc..). Christ's finished work of redemption is sufficient and complete to save believers. No supplements needed.

Daydreamer

Oct 2, 2022
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for your patience on my reply back.
I will answer your question here in just a moment.
I first wanted to say…

The first shall be last and the last shall be first
(Matthew 20:16).

1. The order of the Bodily Resurrections: Those who are Raptured (or Caught Up) either before the Tribulation of the 1st three and a half years of the Tribulation will be resurrected on the New Earth (after the Millennium). Those who are beheaded for Jesus in the Tribulation (after the Rapture) will go through the Millennium (See: Revelation 20:4-5). So the first shall be last and the last shall be first.

2. The Jews as a nation rejected their Messiah (even though they were chosen first). When they rejected their Messiah, salvation then had fallen to the Gentiles (last). Gentiles are now living out the New Covenant promise first as a whole. However, it will not be until the Millennium until the Jews as a whole (or as a nation) will be living out the New Covenant promised according to Jeremiah 31. So the first shall be last and the last shall be first.

This above point in Hebrews 10:16 shows that this New Covenant promise is for two different people groups living in two different periods in time. I say this because Jeremiah 31 sounds like it is talking about the time of the Millennium (if you were to reread it more closely). But the writer of Hebrews brings this promise for our current New Covenant now, too.

But which law in Hebrews 10:16 is to be written upon hearts and minds?

It is the laws or fruits of the Spirit. Love, joy, peace, etcetera (See: Galatians 5:22-23). Note: This does not mean this truth releases us from keeping the commands that come from Jesus and His followers because those things are simply a part of our faith. It merely shows the superiority and uniqueness of the New Covenant.

In the OT: Only kings and prophets had the Spirit (Numbers 11:29).

Note: This does not mean that OT saints were not guided by the Spirit to some capacity, but the Spirit came upon prophets and kings. Today, believers are prophets and kings (Revelation 1:6).

Anyways, while being born again or having a changed heart was something I believe the Israelite had to seek (i.e. to be circumcised in heart) (see my write up with Scripture here), the New Covenant is about automatically receiving a new heart when we accept Jesus Christ as our personal Lord and Savior. We no longer have to seek or work to be circumcised in heart with God or to seek a clean heart (Psalms 51:10). God just gives us a new heart as a part of the New Covenant promise. A changed heart by the Spirit for all is also a means by which a person will bring forth good fruit automatically. We see this with the woman who continually keep kissing Jesus’ feet and washed them with her tears (i.e. anointing them).

The problem with reading the Bible using absolutes is that it leads to error in my humble opinion. The Canaanite woman found a law of exception when Jesus said he did not come for the Gentiles. The more I study God’s Word more closely over the years, the more He has shown me these kinds of clauses of exceptions vs. looking at verses always as absolutes (with no exceptions).

In any event, love, peace, and blessings be unto you in name of the Lord Jesus (even if we may disagree).
Paul is quite specific:
I can certainly testify that law was placed within me when I responded to an altar call. However, you mentioned the fruits of the Spirit. As Paul stated. ''Against such things there is no law.'' For the fruit of the Spirit is the embodiment of how God wants you to live your life.

Daydreamer

Oct 2, 2022
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Also, it needs to be worth noting that Romans 7:14-24 is Paul speaking from his past experience of when he was a Pharisee while he was under the 613 Laws of Moses.
On the above we do agree. Paul was speaking of his life when he tried to attain to a justification of obeying the law as a Pharisee. Let's back up a bit:
So, my brothers and sisters, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God. 5 For when we were in the realm of the flesh,a]">[a] the sinful passions aroused by the law were at work in us, so that we bore fruit for death. 6 But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code. Verses4-6

Paul tells us in the above we die to the law/righteousness of obeying the law in order to bear fruit for God

Sinfull passions are aroused in us by the law when we live under it without the Spirit.

Believers serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not the old way of the written code. Which law is Paul speaking about here? In the next five verses he gives a personal example from his own life as to why he had to die to the law. He had 613 laws to choose from, he chose one of the ten commandments:

What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.

8 But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.

9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.

10 And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.

11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me. 7-11

Verse 8 expounds on what he write in verse 5. Through Paul's knowledge of the commnmandment ''Thou shalt not covet'' all manner of concupiscence was aroused in him.

In verses 14-24 Paul is expanding on what he wrote in verses 7-11.

Some people think as long as they do not commit murder, steal, adultery etc they have obeyed the ten commandments. They trivialise what goes on, on the inside as not important. Paul knew differently. Under righteousness of obeying the law, he tells us Saul was condemned by the law relating to the inner man, the law no one but he and God need know he broke. So scripturally speaking, if you want to be righteous before God by obeying the law, you will have to obey that law also.

Pauls message is not for the rational mind to accept. Die to righteousness of obeying the law and sin shall not be your master(Rom6:14)

Rom ch7 is a great example of why that must happen

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On the above we do agree. Paul was speaking of his life when he tried to attain to a justification of obeying the law as a Pharisee. Let's back up a bit:
So, my brothers and sisters, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God. 5 For when we were in the realm of the flesh,a]">[a] the sinful passions aroused by the law were at work in us, so that we bore fruit for death. 6 But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code. Verses4-6

Paul tells us in the above we die to the law/righteousness of obeying the law in order to bear fruit for God

Sinfull passions are aroused in us by the law when we live under it without the Spirit.

Believers serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not the old way of the written code. Which law is Paul speaking about here? In the next five verses he gives a personal example from his own life as to why he had to die to the law. He had 613 laws to choose from, he chose one of the ten commandments:

What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.

8 But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.

9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.

11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me. 7-11

Verse 8 expounds on what he write in verse 5. Through Paul's knowledge of the commnmandment ''Thou shalt not covet'' all manner of concupiscence was aroused in him.

Some people think as long as they do not commit murder, steal, adultery etc they have obeyed the ten commandments. They trivialise what goes on, on the inside as not important. Paul knew differently. Under righteousness of obeying the law, he tells us Saul was condemned by the law relating to the inner man, the law no one but he and God need know he broke. So scripturally speaking, if you want to be righteous before God by obeying the law, you will have to obey that law also.

Pauls message is not for the rational mind to accept. Die to righteousness of obeying the law and sin shall not be your master(Rom6:14)

Peter says this about Paul's writings,
"As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction." (2 Peter 3:16).

In Romans 7:1-6, Paul is telling Messianic Christians (i.e. those brethren who know Old Testament Law, i.e. the 613 - Romans 7:1) that the Old Law is dead and that they should serve in newness of Spirit (i.e. the New Testament Scriptures that were still being formed) and not in oldness of the letter (i.e. the Torah, etc.). This makes sense because Hebrews 7:12 says the Law has changed. This lines up with the temple veil being torn from top to bottom when Christ died (Which started the New Covenant officially). The Old Testament Laws on animal sacrifices was no longer in effect anymore and Jesus Christ was now our passover Lamb or perfect sacrifice. Hence, why Romans 7:2 says, "if the husband [i.e. Jesus] be dead, she [i.e. the body of believers] is loosed from the law [i.e. the Old Law] of her husband."

In Romans 7:7-13, Paul is recounting Israelite history and speaking as a Jew throughout time with the coming in of the Law of Moses and what that was like. For before that time, the Israelites were following the faith like that of Abraham by faith and they did not have the Laws of Moses until they came out of Egypt and went to Mt. Sinai. For example: Paul says, in verse 9, “For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.” (Romans 7:9).

In Romans 7:14-24, it appears you agree with me that Paul is recounting his experience as a Pharisee before he became a Christian. Paul (Saul) is describing his experience of what it is like to struggle in keeping the Old Covenant Law that did not include Jesus Christ.

Some may disagree to justify sin under God’s grace. So this shows they are simply distorting the text for their own ends. For we know it is true that the use of first-person present verbs in the passage (“I am” “I practice” “I want” “I hate” “I do”) sounds like Paul is talking about his present experience. But Paul sometimes uses “I” in a rhetorical sense to describe generic experience rather than his own present experience (1 Corinthians 10:30; 1 Corinthians 13:2-3, 1 Corinthians 13:11). In at least one other place, Paul uses a first-person present verb to describe his opponents’ experience (Galatians 2:18).

Romans 7:25 is a verse that transitions back to the present day reality as Paul being a Christian. He is thankful that he now has victory in Jesus Christ His Lord who can deliver him from his body of death (Which was a problem before). Otherwise why is Paul thanking Jesus?

Paul asks the question in verse 24.

Who shall deliver me from this body of death?

I like how the Good News Translation answers this question. It says,

"Thanks be to God, who does this through our Lord Jesus Christ! This, then, is my condition: on my own I can serve God's law only with my mind, while my human nature serves the law of sin." (Romans 7:25 GNT).

The NTE says,

"...So then, left to my own self I am enslaved to God’s law with my mind, but to sin’s law with my human flesh." (Romans 7:25 NTE).

But Romans 13:14 says,
"But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof."

Reactions: Fool4Jesus

Daydreamer

Oct 2, 2022
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Peter says this about Paul's writings,
"As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction." (2 Peter 3:16).

In Romans 7:1-6, Paul is telling Messianic Christians (i.e. those brethren who know Old Testament Law, i.e. the 613 - Romans 7:1) that the Old Law is dead and that they should serve in newness of Spirit (i.e. the New Testament Scriptures that were still being formed) and not in oldness of the letter (i.e. the Torah, etc.). This makes sense because Hebrews 7:12 says the Law has changed. This lines up with the temple veil being torn from top to bottom when Christ died (Which started the New Covenant officially). The Old Testament Laws on animal sacrifices was no longer in effect anymore and Jesus Christ was now our passover Lamb or perfect sacrifice. Hence, why Romans 7:2 says, "if the husband [i.e. Jesus] be dead, she [i.e. the body of believers] is loosed from the law [i.e. the Old Law] of her husband."

In Romans 7:7-13, Paul is recounting Israelite history and speaking as a Jew throughout time with the coming in of the Law of Moses and what that was like. For before that time, the Israelites were following the faith like that of Abraham by faith and they did not have the Laws of Moses until they came out of Egypt and went to Mt. Sinai. For example: Paul says, in verse 9, “For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.” (Romans 7:9).

In Romans 7:14-24, it appears you agree with me that Paul is recounting his experience as a Pharisee before he became a Christian. Paul (Saul) is describing his experience of what it is like to struggle in keeping the Old Covenant Law that did not include Jesus Christ.

Some may disagree to justify sin under God’s grace. So this shows they are simply distorting the text for their own ends. For we know it is true that the use of first-person present verbs in the passage (“I am” “I practice” “I want” “I hate” “I do”) sounds like Paul is talking about his present experience. But Paul sometimes uses “I” in a rhetorical sense to describe generic experience rather than his own present experience (1 Corinthians 10:30; 1 Corinthians 13:2-3, 1 Corinthians 13:11). In at least one other place, Paul uses a first-person present verb to describe his opponents’ experience (Galatians 2:18).

Romans 7:25 is a verse that transitions back to the present day reality as Paul being a Christian. He is thankful that he now has victory in Jesus Christ His Lord who can deliver him from his body of death (Which was a problem before). Otherwise why is Paul thanking Jesus?

Paul asks the question in verse 24.

Who shall deliver me from this body of death?

I like how the Good News Translation answers this question. It says,

"Thanks be to God, who does this through our Lord Jesus Christ! This, then, is my condition: on my own I can serve God's law only with my mind, while my human nature serves the law of sin." (Romans 7:25 GNT).

The NTE says,

"...So then, left to my own self I am enslaved to God’s law with my mind, but to sin’s law with my human flesh." (Romans 7:25 NTE).

But Romans 13:14 says,
"But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof."
Im afraid Rom7:14-24 is carrying on from verses 7-11. It is all about being a slave to sin in regard to what goes on, on the inside of man. When he states we die to the law, he then goes on to give an example from the ten commandments as to why this must happen. And he makes it crystal clear, if you want to be righteous by obeying the law you must obey the law relating to the inner man, the law no one but you and God need know you break. So, scripturally speaking you cannot trivialise that law, it will condemn you under a righteousness of obeying the law.

Reactions: Fool4Jesus

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does God expect us to obey the hundreds of New Testament commands on day one of our service to be saved (after we are saved by God’s grace)?

The charge has been claimed by Belief Alone Salvationists that you must obey all of the New Testament commands (or that you must reach a state of Sinless Perfection whereby you can never sin again) in order for salvation by obedience to be valid after you are saved by God’s grace. This is why many believe that all you have to do is just believe in Jesus for salvation or the finished work of the cross and you are good to enter the Kingdom.

I believe the Bible teaches that Sanctification is a process of living holy by the Spirit. It’s why Romans 8:13 says but if you put to death the misdeeds of the body by the Spirit you will live (i.e. live eternally). 2 Corinthians 7:1 says let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit perfecting holiness in the fear of God. These verses would not make any sense if we were automatically perfectly obeying all of the Lord’s commands in the New Testament on day one and we could never slip up on rare occasion and break God’s commands ever again. Granted, I am not against a new believer being able to do that. I would be for the brethren doing that since day one if we had strong Christian leaders training new converts to obey in all things right away. But that’s not always the reality for everyone. The thief on the cross was saved without works. But for those who live out their faith: I believe God gives us grace and time to learn His Word and to study it so as to know His will and to learn how to obey God.

Abraham did not instantly grab a knife and try to kill Isaac the moment he heard the command from God. There was time that took place between Abraham hearing God’s command and in putting it forth into action at the right moment in time. Was Abraham not saved because he did not instantly grab a knife and seek to kill Isaac? No. God gave Abraham time. What mattered was Abraham’s willingness to obey and seeking to make that a reality in the proper way. In fact, Abraham did not even fulfill that command by God. Abraham did not sacrifice Isaac and yet God was telling him to do that. God was testing Abraham’s loyalty. So it’s a willingness of our heart to obey God (even when things may not even be possible to obey Him in the moment). For example: We are told to make disciples and baptize them in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost teaching them all things that Christ commanded. Can you do that on day one after you are saved? What if you are in the mountains and there is nobody but you and the other person who led you to Jesus? Again, can you know of all of what Christ commands on day one? I imagine in some circumstances you could (if you had the right teachers). But is one not saved while they are still learning of those commands and they are not obeying them yet? This is why I believe there is grace. This grace is not a license for immorality of us thinking we can willfully sin. No, no. Most certainly not. We must seek to obey God in everything. Why? Because it is a part of our faith. It is our willingness to obey that I believe God is looking at before we can learn of that command and put into action. I say this because how many of you here are obeying the great commission in baptizing others in the name of Jesus (i.e. the name (singular) that represents the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit)? That’s a command by Jesus. Are you doing it? Are you not saved because you have not done so yet? I don’t believe so. I believe God gives us grace and time to do those things He desires of us. We should pray and ask God for help to obey Him in all things.

This also does not mean that we do not have to obey God as a part of God’s plan of salvation, either. 2 Thessalonians 2:13-14 says God has chosen us to salvation through the Sanctification of the Spirit and a belief of the truth (Which is a call of the gospel). The gospel is 1 Corinthians 15:1-4. But the CALL of the gospel is our Sanctification (living holy by the Spirit and putting away sin and learning to know how to obey God), and continuing to believe the doctrines and or truths in the Bible.

Note: I believe that if a Christian sins (like say looking upon a woman in lust, or not forgiving someone), they must confess and forsake that sin. Believers need to strive to seek to obey all of God’s commands. This is a part of living by faith. If we are not seeking to obey God as a part of the Kingdom, we are simply seeking to be our own lords and masters. God calls us to obedience and to pick up our cross and to deny ourselves. We have to count the cost and we have to be willing to give up all for the Lord Jesus. Again, this takes time for many of us to learn. There are many tests of our faith along the way. Our faith is not always a walk in the park. Jesus said, strive to enter the straight gate (Luke 13:24). So yes. We should be striving to obey the commands that come from the Lord Jesus and His followers in the New Testament. But I believe God gives us grace to get there. For grace gives us the ability to do the work (1 Corinthians 15:10).
I think God expects us to follow the Holy Spirit which will guide us to do what's right. I know I fault along the way, sometimes I try to correct myself when I don't follow the spirit, sometimes I don't, but that should guide us to do what is right.

Reactions: Daydreamer

Daydreamer

Oct 2, 2022
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
In Romans 7:7-13, Paul is recounting Israelite history
What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I (I) had not known sin, but by the law: for I(1) had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.

8 But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in ME(ME) all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.

9 For I(I) was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I(I) died.

10 And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I(I) found to be unto death.

11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived ME(ME) and by it slew ME(ME).

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Just as Moses was God’s mediator to God’s people…
Jesus (Who is second person of the Godhead or Trinity) was God the Father’s mediator to God’s people.

So Moses gave teachings for God’s people (from God the Father).
And Jesus gave teachings for God’s people (from God the Father).

Hebrews 7:12 says the Law has changed. It’s a whole new New Covenant with it’s own unique respective laws and with some of them that are familiar (But achieved by loving your neighbor - See again: Romans 13:8-10). The 10 commandments were given to Israel and not the church or New Covenant saints. Only 9 out of the 10 commandments apply. The Saturday Sabbath command was not carried over into the New Testament teachings of Jesus Christ and His followers. Nowhere does Jesus and His followers command anyone to keep the Sabbath. There are no Sabbath day sins mentioned alongside other types of sins in the New Testament (like in Galatians 5:19-21, 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, Revelation 21:8, etcetera). Colossians 2:14 says that Christ nailed to the cross those ordinances that were against us. In Colossians 2:17 we are told not to let anyone judge us according to whether or not we keep Sabbath days, holy days, and dietary laws. In addition, the 10 commandments do not have the same meaning exactly by one keeping them because if one breaks certain commands out of the 10 (before Jesus’ ministry), they could be killed by being stoned to death. This is not the case with the New Covenant teachings of Jesus. So the 9 out of the 10 take on an entirely different dynamic seeing they are under an entirely different covenant whereby one is not to be stone if they break them (See the story of the adulterous woman not being stoned in when she should have been stoned according to the Law in John 8:1-11). So Jesus was making changes to the Old Law (and He was phasing that Covenant out). We see our Lord Jesus making changes on a great level at the Sermon on the Mount, as well (Matthew 5, Matthew 6, Matthew 7).

I will demonstrated this in my next post to you.

Daydreamer

Oct 2, 2022
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Just as Moses was God’s mediator to God’s people…
Jesus (Who is second person of the Godhead or Trinity) was God the Father’s mediator to God’s people.

So Moses gave teachings for God’s people (from God the Father).
And Jesus gave teachings for God’s people (from God the Father).

Hebrews 7:12 says the Law has changed. It’s a whole new New Covenant with it’s own unique respective laws and with some of them that are familiar (But achieved by loving your neighbor - See again: Romans 13:8-10). The 10 commandments were given to Israel and not the church or New Covenant saints. Only 9 out of the 10 commandments apply. The Saturday Sabbath command was not carried over into the New Testament teachings of Jesus Christ and His followers. Nowhere does Jesus and His followers command anyone to keep the Sabbath. There are no Sabbath day sins mentioned alongside other types of sins in the New Testament (like in Galatians 5:19-21, 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, Revelation 21:8, etcetera). Colossians 2:14 says that Christ nailed to the cross those ordinances that were against us. In Colossians 2:17 we are told not to let anyone judge us according to whether or not we keep Sabbath days, holy days, and dietary laws. In addition, the 10 commandments do not have the same meaning exactly by one keeping them because if one breaks certain commands out of the 10 (before Jesus’ ministry), they could be killed by being stoned to death. This is not the case with the New Covenant teachings of Jesus. So the 9 out of the 10 take on an entirely different dynamic seeing they are under an entirely different covenant whereby one is not to be stone if they break them (See the story of the adulterous woman not being stoned in when she should have been stoned according to the Law in John 8:1-11). So Jesus was making changes to the Old Law (and He was phasing that Covenant out). We see our Lord Jesus making changes on a great level at the Sermon on the Mount, as well (Matthew 5, Matthew 6, Matthew 7).

I will demonstrated this in my next post to you.
As you agree nine out of the ten commandments are still valid for today, I hope, in line with what Paul plainly wrote, you accept righteousness of obeying the law hinges on obeying the law relating to the inner man, the law no one but you and God need know you break. It cannot be trivialised, according to what Paul plainly wrote

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Daydreamer

Jesus was making changes to the Law (even before the New Covenant went officially into effect with His death). For Jesus was primarily teaching New Covenant teachings and not Old Covenant teachings during His earthly ministry.

How so?

Jesus clearly was making changes to the Law (even before the cross):
(Which means He was not teaching primarily Old Covenant, but New Covenant):

The Old Way says:

"Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth"
(Matthew 5:38 cf. Exodus 21:23-25).

The New Way (by Jesus) says:

"But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also." (Matthew 5:39).

The Old Way says:

"Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment" (Matthew 5:21 cf. Numbers 35:30-32).

"But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire." (Matthew 5:22).

The Old Way says:

"Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths:" (Matthew 5:34 cf. Numbers 30:1-2, Deuteronomy 23:21).

34 "But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne:
35 Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King.
36 Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black.
37 But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil." (Matthew 5:34-37).

The Old Way says:

"And of thy mercy cut off mine enemies, and destroy all them that afflict my soul: for I am thy servant." (Psalms 143:12).

"And the city shall be accursed, even it, and all that are therein, to the LORD: only Rahab the harlot shall live, she and all that are with her in the house, because she hid the messengers that we sent." (Joshua 6:17).

"And they utterly destroyed all that was in the city, both man and woman, young and old, and ox, and sheep, and ass, with the edge of the sword." (Joshua 6:21).

16 "But of the cities of these people, which the LORD thy God doth give thee for an inheritance, thou shalt save alive nothing that breatheth:
17 But thou shalt utterly destroy them; namely, the Hittites, and the Amorites, the Canaanites, and the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites; as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee" (Deuteronomy 20:16-17).

"They did not destroy the nations, concerning whom the LORD commanded them" (Psalms 106:34).

"But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;" (Matthew 5:44).

Note: Yes, I am aware that the Old Way (Old Testament) also teaches to love one's enemies (Exodus 23:4-5) (Proverbs 25:21), but this was in context to their own Israelite people, and not pagan nations. Pagan nations were to be destroyed when God commanded the Israelites to destroy them. But Jesus taught a radically different way. Love your enemies, and do good to them that hate you, and to pray for those who persecute you.

The Old Way says:

20 "But if this thing be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel:
21 Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die: because she hath wrought folly in Israel, to play the whore in her father's house: so shalt thou put evil away from among you.
22 If a man be found lying with a woman married to an husband, then they shall both of them die, both the man that lay with the woman, and the woman: so shalt thou put away evil from Israel." (Deuteronomy 22:20-22).

4 "They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.
5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?" (John 8:4-5).

"He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. " (John 8:7).

Even after the cross, there were changes being made:

The Old Covenant says this about circumcision:

"And the uncircumcised man child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people; he hath broken my covenant." (Genesis 17:14).

Yet, the New Covenant says this about circumcision:

"Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing."
(Galatians 5:2).

The Old Covenant says this about the Sabbath:

32 "And while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day.
33 And they that found him gathering sticks brought him unto Moses and Aaron, and unto all the congregation.
34 And they put him in ward, because it was not declared what should be done to him.
35 And the Lord said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp.
36 And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the Lord commanded Moses." (Numbers 15:32-36).

Yet, the New Covenant says this about the Sabbath:

"Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:" (Colossians 2:16).

So it appears things have changed.

This makes sense because again, Hebrews 7:12 says the Law has changed.

"For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law."
(Hebrews 7:12).

“For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.”
(John 1:17).

Jesus said,
"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil." (Matthew 5:17).

Jesus came not to abolish the Law (in the sense of destroying all forms of Law), but Jesus came to fulfill the Law (i.e. to nail to the cross those ordinances that were against us [like the Old Covenant ceremonial laws], and Jesus came to give us a more fulfilled and perfect way of obeying God via the commands that come directly from Him and His followers). For Jesus offered a more perfect way of loving God, and loving our neighbor (Which of course is only possible via if we are first saved by God's grace through faith).