Does God Love the Sinner and Hates the Sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sep 27, 2021
Norco
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You hear it all the time, people saying “God Loves You” to sinners and the cliché “God loves the sinner and hates the sin” but is it supported by the Bible?

Yes, WE are commanded to “love our enemies” (Matt 5:44 & others), so WE should be loving towards sinners, but we read in Psalms 5:5 that God “hatest all workers of iniquity(that’s the sinners, right?)

Romans 5:8 says that “while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.” Which implies he loves sinners, but regardless of how you believe salvation works, God knows who’s going to be saved. Jesus himself said “I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me.” (John 17:9) so it appears he loves those to be saved but not the unrepentant sinners.

John 3:16 says “For God so loved the world” but the “so” in not like you might see in “so much” magnifying the degree, but rather if you said “hold the brush so”, showing the way indicated. It is best translated in the Christian Standard Bible “For God loved the world in this way: He gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life”.

Romans 9:13 God says he loved Jacob (Saved?) but hated Esau (unsaved?).

So getting back to Psalms 5:5 God “hatest all workers of iniquity” – Are we lying to sinners when we say “God loves you?”

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah yes. For the power of paradox opens your eyes / and blinds those who say they can see.

I chose to take John 3:16, Romans 5:8, and, especially relevant to your subject, Matthew 5:43-48 at face value. The questions of conditional or unconditional election and God's foreknowledge and what metanoia really means notwithstanding, God really does love those who hate Him, and really did provide a means for their (and our!) salvation.

Because if I don't believe that, then there's nothing left to believe in, is there?

Last edited:

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You hear it all the time, people saying “God Loves You” to sinners and the cliché “God loves the sinner and hates the sin” but is it supported by the Bible?

Yes, WE are commanded to “love our enemies” (Matt 5:44 & others), so WE should be loving towards sinners, but we read in Psalms 5:5 that God “hatest all workers of iniquity(that’s the sinners, right?)

Romans 5:8 says that “while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.” Which implies he loves sinners, but regardless of how you believe salvation works, God knows who’s going to be saved. Jesus himself said “I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me.” (John 17:9) so it appears he loves those to be saved but not the unrepentant sinners.

John 3:16 says “For God so loved the world” but the “so” in not like you might see in “so much” magnifying the degree, but rather if you said “hold the brush so”, showing the way indicated. It is best translated in the Christian Standard Bible “For God loved the world in this way: He gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life”.

So getting back to Psalms 5:5 God “hatest all workers of iniquity” – Are we lying to sinners when we say “God loves you?”
Were you a sinner ?

Did God love you ?

Did God love the unsaved world in John 3:16 whom Christ died for ?

God pursues the sinner because God loves the sinner. That is the whole point of Redemption and Jesus Atonement.

God pursued adam when He sinned and it was adam that tried to hide from God. Jesus called sinners to repentance because He loves them. Peter failed Jesus many times and sinned against Him yet Jesus continued to pursue him expressing His love for him.

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is the love of my God, Deeper, Wider, Higher than any and with out respect to persons.

Reactions: shortangel

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Most people do not understand the Biblical definition of hate, which means loves less than. We humans consider hate as extremely repulsive. The Bible states we must hate our parents.
(Luke 14:26) . . .“If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple.
Taken literally how sick is that? The fact is, we must hold everything in it's proper place, if we love our parents more than God, we can miss out. A prime example:
(Matthew 8:18-22) . . .Jesus saw a crowd around him, he gave the command to depart for the other side. 19 And a scribe came up and said to him: “Teacher, I will follow you wherever you go.” 20 But Jesus said to him: “Foxes have dens and birds of heaven have nests, but the Son of man has nowhere to lay down his head.” 21 Then another of the disciples said to him: “Lord, permit me first to go and bury my father.” 22 Jesus said to him: “Keep following me, and let the dead bury their dead.”

The man’s father evidently had not yet died, for if he had, it would be unlikely that his son would be here listening to Jesus. The son apparently is asking for time to await his father’s death. He is not prepared to put the Kingdom of God first in his life.

Although the Bible does not state, at least I am unaware if it does, that the man got on the boat with Jesus, if he didn't look at what he missed out on. We must seek the Kingdom first Mat 6:33 and all that phrase means.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Well God so loved the world He gave Jesus.

But Scripture also says that we were enemies of God and peace was made through our acceptance of the cross.

And JOhn 3 is very powerful:

18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. (present tense)

Both are true!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Truth is God hates both the sin and the sinner. He does, however, love repentant sinners.

I heard it put this way. We are to love the sinner and hate our own sin.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well God so loved the world He gave Jesus.

But Scripture also says that we were enemies of God and peace was made through our acceptance of the cross.

And JOhn 3 is very powerful:

18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. (present tense)

Both are true!
Why if you believe those statements are true here, do you not believe it in other posts? Did God send His only begotten son or not Ron? I believe He did. Is it the desire not to think of Jesus as being created, cause this confusion within you sir? He is either begotten, or he is not for sure, but you need to stand with one of those opinions.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's more than one verb for "love" in the New Testament.

One is the practice of benevolence without particularly liking the folks to whom
it's extended. (e.g. Matt 5:43-48)

The other expresses the feelings of fondness and affection. (e.g. John 16:27)

John 3:16 is a good example of the first verb. In other words: God is aware
of mankind's lost condition and interested in helping them do something
about it; but that in no way indicates He likes mankind. In point of fact,
mankind, on the whole, quite disgusts God.
_

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why if you believe those statements are true here, do you not believe it in other posts? Did God send His only begotten son or not Ron? I believe He did. Is it the desire not to think of Jesus as being created, cause this confusion within you sir? He is either begotten, or he is not for sure, but you need to stand with one of those opinions.
No, I have real clarity in this.

But this simple statment is far more complex than the one verse. It takes the whole counsel of Gods INspired Word and not mens endless commentaries to know what God is saying.

Both statements which appear contradictory are true, if one knows the Word of God.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, I have real clarity in this.

But this simple statment is far more complex than the one verse. It takes the whole counsel of Gods INspired Word and not mens endless commentaries to know what God is saying.

Both statements which appear contradictory are true, if one knows the Word of God.
Well as I stated Ron, I do. So if you want to post some of those verses to show that God did not, go ahead, but it is very unlikely that you will sell me on that sir.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well as I stated Ron, I do. So if you want to post some of those verses to show that God did not, go ahead, but it is very unlikely that you will sell me on that sir.
Of course I wil not sell you, which is why I will not waste teh effort to post!

But still waiting for you to tell me who or what my watchtower is that you say I have.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course I wil not sell you, which is why I will not waste teh effort to post!

But still waiting for you to tell me who or what my watchtower is that you say I have.
Actually sir, I know you don't have a Watchtower, but you seem to be fixated with mine. Yes Jehovah provides protection for His people. He feeds us extremely well, as you perhaps have observed in conversations with His people. Of course we could expect nothing less could we?

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually sir, I know you don't have a Watchtower, but you seem to be fixated with mine. Yes Jehovah provides protection for His people. He feeds us extremely well, as you perhaps have observed in conversations with His people. Of course we could expect nothing less could we?

Well any food outside the bible is the empty husks of man made organizations. And the Watchtower has demonstrated they feed empty husks by the bushel

2 dates for Jesus invisible return.

multiple dates for armageddon

celebrating then condemning christmas.

Rejecting the physical resurrection.

Rejecting the deity of Jesus.

the 144,000

and these are just off the top of my head.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well any food outside the bible is the empty husks of man made organizations. And the Watchtower has demonstrated they feed empty husks by the bushel

the 144,000

I am sorry sir, you are not allowed to speak of the diety of Jesus on this site, if you would like to discuss that you will have to send me a personal message. Best to listen to who Jesus said God was however.

Jesus provided a faithful slave to feed his sheep sir, he wasn't feeding us new scripture, rather understanding.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

the 144,000

We believe the presence of Christ began in 1914 sir, we have no knowledge of when he will come back to fight the battle of Armageddon
To reiterate, we do not know when armageddon will come, but we believe it is very close Ron
We do not worship any other god that Jehovah sir, saturn is a pagan god to us. We did as you say celebrated it once, but as one finds out you are not walking the way you should, you are faced with two choices, stop, or ignore it and continue on. When we found out that it was a holy day for the god saturn, yes sir, we walked away from it. There are no excuses now sir, as we live in the age of information, if someone is ignorant of what christmas is, it is by their own choice.
No sir, in face we believe that most will be resurrected physically
the 144,000
Rev 14:1-3 the Bible speaks of a group of 144,000 sir, we did not invent that.

• Wow
Reactions: Keturah

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am sorry sir, you are not allowed to speak of the diety of Jesus on this site
Yes, you are. You are allowed to say Jesus is God. You aren’t allowed to start a conversation on Jesus is NOT God or on is Jesus really God.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, you are. You are allowed to say Jesus is God. You aren’t allowed to start a conversation on Jesus is NOT God or on is Jesus really God.
No maam, you are out of line, and I believe it is because of you. Who is God is the primary subject of the Bible, and knowing God is essential for salvation. Nancy stated this to me maam:
ANYTHING that speaks to the divinity of Christ and the Trinity, period.

If you want to speak to me about the identity of who God is, I am willing however it can not be done in the forum, rather through the personal messaging inbox.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No maam, you are out of line, and I believe it is because of you. Who is God is the primary subject of the Bible, and knowing God is essential for salvation. Nancy stated this to me maam:
ANYTHING that speaks to the divinity of Christ and the Trinity, period.

If you want to speak to me about the identity of who God is, I am willing however it can not be done in the forum, rather through the personal messaging inbox.
I have no idea what you are saying here…are you trying to say one is not allowed to say “Jesus is Lord”…? That one can’t say of Jesus, “You are my Lord and my God?“

No, Robert, I do not want to speak to you about who God is through pm’s.