Does it concern you that gospels were written so many years after Jesus died?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grunt Hemlock

Feb 25, 2021
WACO
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does it concern you that modern scholars may be drastically mistaken about the dates of the gospels? That should be the question - not assuming that late-daters like Crossan are correct - not assuming that Revelation was written in Domitian's reign.
Everybody jumped on board discussing the OP without ever questioning its primary premise. I question its primary premise.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Personally I was seeing some 'good' in the questions put forth by @saintiaint as I did in the questions put forth at times by @bbyrd009. People do need to grow. Not every ignorant person is a devil. Not every educated person is wise. Sometimes they just need to grow and to be helped or taught and to receive mercy and love.

While I saw it the same way, there may have been some exchanges with the moderators that made his maturity level clearer - and insufficient for the intent of this forum.

Reactions: amadeus

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does it concern you that modern scholars may be drastically mistaken about the dates of the gospels? That should be the question - not assuming that late-daters like Crossan are correct - not assuming that Revelation was written in Domitian's reign.
Everybody jumped on board discussing the OP without ever questioning its primary premise. I question its primary premise.
The problem is the OPer veered away from the "primary premise," as well. Quite comfortably, it seemed, I might add. :)

BobVance

Jan 18, 2021
Vandalia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While I saw it the same way, there may have been some exchanges with the moderators that made his maturity level clearer - and insufficient for the intent of this forum.
I agree Wrangler, he did ask some thought provoking questions, however took a very antagonist approach, and avoided answering most direct questions. I told him his moniker was very telling. If he truly seeks Christ Jesus, he will indeed mature and have a more gentle spirit. I pray he does want to follow Christ.

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
How I see it....

While many scholars believe that the gospels were finished years after Jesus' death, it doesn't necessarily mean the authors didn't begin to write them while Jesus was still alive. At the end of John, it says, "It is this disciple who testifies to these things and has written them, and we know that his testimony is true" (John 21:24)

Writing back then was a pain staking process. It's not as if anyone who wanted to write could simply jump on their camel and gallop down to the nearest Office Max and buy a ream of paper and a few quills. :p

The gospels were written by hand on papyrus. First, you'd have to either find some papyrus at an affordable price or make it yourself. It wasn't always available, nor was it always affordable. And if you wanted to make it yourself (provided you knew how), the process took about a month or longer, AND, you couldn't harvest the plant throughout the year (it died in the winter and the roots rotted).

Add that to some other limitations, such as, having to feed yourself and tend to your 'goats', your family, and being forbidden to do ANY kind of work on the Sabbath...

See where I'm going?

Yes, many scholars agree that the gospels were probably written years after Jesus' death. But the key word is "probably", and there are some scholars who submit that the gospels were written partially during Jesus life, and shortly after his death.

The fact that those scholars agree that the books were probably written several decades after Jesus death does not have me convinced that they absolutely were.
It was the Holy Spirit who moved them to write...

Reactions: Truther

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lived and died.
I think Paul's letters were written before the gospels.
John was written about 70 years after Jesus death?
It bothers me. How can the events described in the gospel be totally accurate.
Are we all just too gullible?
Would'nt you expect that if an all powerful, all knowing and omnipresent God wanted to give man a message and through this message, man would come to know and love Him, that He would ensure that it was accurate, uncorrupted and passed down reliably through the ages?
If He is able to create the universe and life as complex as it is, and sustain it, you can be assured that His Word has been protected and is reliable.
Aside from that, the textual criticism of over 5000 Greek manuscripts tells us at least the New Testament is 99.99% accurately passed down. Other than 400 words in question, which do not effect any doctrines, we have God's word. Mistakes they've seen amount to misspelled words or flip-flop phrases.
Maybe pick up a book called "Evidence that Demands a Verdict" by Josh McDowell. Or "A Case For Christ" by Lee Strobel
There are other books that specifically discuss the reliability of the Bible.

Last edited:

JesusFan1

Jun 19, 2020
Macomb Mi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lived and died.
No problem if one holds to the Holy Spirit inspiration of the scriptures!

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lived and died.
Because of constant persecution of Christians in the first century, the eyewitnesses called tha apostles were always on the move, but they continually taught what they eventually wrote down during the times of persecution, so they wrote:

1.What there been telling orally for all those years about what they’d witnessed.

2. It’s a known fact that people remember extremely well, important events in their life, all their life.

Being eyewitness of Jesus and all that He said, taught, and did, especially dying on a cross and rising from the dead, qualifies as very important events.

Luk 1:2 Even as they delivered them unto us, which from the beginning were eyewitnesses, and ministers of the word;

2Pe 1:16 For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.

1Jn 1:1 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life;

1Jn 1:2 (For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us;)

1Jn 1:3 That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lived and died.
Not at all. The scripture is inspired by God through the Holy Spirit. No one but God "saw" the creation, yet we except Genesis as the truth, written through the inspiration of God.
The 66 books of the "canon" of scripture are trusted as inspired writings because they "agree" with one another in the revelation of God in His Son. If all the Apostles had been martyred before having the opportunity to teach disciples about the Lord and His works, God would still have been able to reveal His Son and the gospel of grace by His Spirit, but instead He gave us eye witnesses to His glory, and historical evidence to confirm the reality of His ministry, as well as His Spirit to be His witness within all who put their trust in Him and pray to receive Him.