Does it concern you that gospels were written so many years after Jesus died?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One of the reasons you can believe the Bible is because God will preserve His word.
The word of God exists because God will have it here, always.

And something about the Gospels that is very indicative of their honesty, is this...fact.

If you read all 4 Gospels, you'll note that there are specific differences that are clearly noted as these 4 Histories, pertaining to micro details.
Why is this a wonderful thing and a REVELATION?
Because, .......

= When 4 people, or when 6 people, are standing on a street corner and witness you crash your car into an oncoming truck....when all see this, happen...
The police then get their stories..
And all of the stories, will be slightly different, and all are TRUE Eyewitness Accounts.
So, the Gospels are exactly the same.
You have different Apostles who have witness the Son of God, ..walked with Him...touched him, loved him...... and .knew Him daily for a few years, and they are writing down what they know and saw, as eyewitnesses.
Each saw the same, yet, each describes it individually., and so, that is why the Gospels are the same, yet, specific micro details are based on INDIVIDUAL accounts, just like the people telling the Police about the wreck.

See, if the 4 gospels were exactly the same, all words all descriptions exactly the same then , how can that be EYES witnessing, as all eyes see what they know, yet, all will describe the same event, INDIVIDUALLY.....slightly different.
That's the "Gospel's".
You came to the party too late, B. He can't hear you.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it. (Isaiah 55:11)

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
You came to the party too late, B. He can't hear you.

Well, you know, as long as a person is breathing, hope is alive.
IF we are born again when we are 8, or 98, on our death bed, taking our last 4 breaths, its still the same Blood that redeems all who call.
God is just looking for Faith to receive, and will.

Mink57

Aug 4, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lived and died.
I think Paul's letters were written before the gospels.
John was written about 70 years after Jesus death?
It bothers me. How can the events described in the gospel be totally accurate.
Are we all just too gullible?
How I see it....

While many scholars believe that the gospels were finished years after Jesus' death, it doesn't necessarily mean the authors didn't begin to write them while Jesus was still alive. At the end of John, it says, "It is this disciple who testifies to these things and has written them, and we know that his testimony is true" (John 21:24)

Writing back then was a pain staking process. It's not as if anyone who wanted to write could simply jump on their camel and gallop down to the nearest Office Max and buy a ream of paper and a few quills. :p

The gospels were written by hand on papyrus. First, you'd have to either find some papyrus at an affordable price or make it yourself. It wasn't always available, nor was it always affordable. And if you wanted to make it yourself (provided you knew how), the process took about a month or longer, AND, you couldn't harvest the plant throughout the year (it died in the winter and the roots rotted).

Add that to some other limitations, such as, having to feed yourself and tend to your 'goats', your family, and being forbidden to do ANY kind of work on the Sabbath...

See where I'm going?

Yes, many scholars agree that the gospels were probably written years after Jesus' death. But the key word is "probably", and there are some scholars who submit that the gospels were written partially during Jesus life, and shortly after his death.

The fact that those scholars agree that the books were probably written several decades after Jesus death does not have me convinced that they absolutely were.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it. (Isaiah 55:11)
And if it comes out of any other mouth, what will it accomplish? Sometimes people ask questions because they really do not know God's answers and they are really seriously interested rather than purposely mocking or trying to put anyone down. They may just be a inexperienced and foolish young person looking for God. I believe that @saintiaint was a seriously interested one.

Was it because his questions probed into someone's pet doctrines that people often opposed to each other came together against him causing him to become even more defensive ... as most people do when someone comes against them?

I believe @saintiaint said he had not served God for very long... so as a newbie while he may have been a very smart fellow... perhaps he was not very wise, yet! Should we throw out every baby because he has not yet learned to walk and talk as well as all the rest of us before his first birthday?

Personally I was seeing some 'good' in the questions put forth by @saintiaint as I did in the questions put forth at times by @bbyrd009. People do need to grow. Not every ignorant person is a devil. Not every educated person is wise. Sometimes they just need to grow and to be helped or taught and to receive mercy and love.

Who should decide that a child should be aborted never to see the Light? Lots of people here speech out strongly against abortion... but is this really so different? How blind is an unborn child? How blind is newborn infant? How ignorant is a person who has only just recently come to God?

Reactions: Wrangler

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And if it comes out of any other mouth, what will it accomplish? Sometimes people ask questions because they really do not know God's answers and they are really seriously interested rather than purposely mocking or trying to put anyone down. They may just be a inexperienced and foolish young person looking for God. I believe that @saintiaint was a seriously interested one.

Was it because his questions probed into someone's pet doctrines that people often opposed to each other came together against him causing him to become even more defensive ... as most people do when someone comes against them?

I believe @saintiaint said he had not served God for very long... so as a newbie while he may have been a very smart fellow... perhaps he was not very wise, yet! Should we throw out every baby because he has not yet learned to walk and talk as well as all the rest of us before his first birthday?

Personally I was seeing some 'good' in the questions put forth by @saintiaint as I did in the questions put forth at times by @bbyrd009. People do need to grow. Not every ignorant person is a devil. Not every educated person is wise. Sometimes they just need to grow and to be helped or taught and to receive mercy and love.

Who should decide that a child should be aborted never to see the Light? Lots of people here speech out strongly against abortion... but is this really so different? How blind is an unborn child? How blind is newborn infant? How ignorant is a person who has only just recently come to God?
John, you're not suggesting that my reporting his post was akin to aborting a child, I hope. If this fellow was seeking, he sure was doing a good job masquerading as a skeptic. He was doing more than asking questions. I don't see his spirit as being comparable to Bbyrd's at all. But I love you enough to disagree in a friendly spirit. :D

If I did him wrong, I suppose the only thing I could do is seek God's forgiveness and pray for him. It's not likely we're going to be able to track him down now. I certainly didn't intend to get him banned or make him leave voluntarily. :(

Reactions: amadeus

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lived and died.
I think Paul's letters were written before the gospels.
John was written about 70 years after Jesus death?
It bothers me. How can the events described in the gospel be totally accurate.
Are we all just too gullible?

Hi Saintiaint,
I think this is why it's spoken of as a "personal relationship". We all have different situations, myriad! But, when we have true faith, pray with fervency...THAT is when we see Him work. At least, that is my own experience. We have a God of the "impossible". Just be sure to not pray for selfish ambition, His will be done and, His will is PERFECT!!! :)

" But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Hebrews 11:1
"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Pray bro, and just watch Him honor your faith.

Reactions: amadeus

Grunt Hemlock

Feb 25, 2021
WACO
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do we still want to address the OP even after the guy is gone?

I for one thought some were JUST BEGINNING to address the fact that there is DISAGREEMENT among scholars as to the dates of the gospels.

The OP seemed to take it as given that the modern liberal late-dater scholars were indeed correct, whereas I see just as much validity in Thiede and the other early date proposers. So IMO the OP is based on a false premise.