Does Jesus give people a 2nd chance after death?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
St. Paul writes that we should pray for the dead. I don't know where it is, but he did say that in one of his letters. I don't know if that constitutes a second chance, but we believe souls go to purgatory and suffer great pains of purification and our prayers ease their suffering there. The Virgin Mary told the 3 seers at Fatima in 1917 that Jucinto would go to Purgatory until the end of the second coming. The other 2 were going straight to Heaven. That is proof enough for me.
Are you sure about the above? Do you have some support for it?
Why would two go straight to heaven and one go to purgatory?
Also, what does "till the second coming of Christ" mean?
There is time in the afterlife?

Also, are you aware that the Catholic Church is not sure about how purgatory is.
We could read about it in the CCC but most priests are coming to believe that it's different...that it may last only a few seconds or that it's like a glass window through which one could see heaven but cannot go there.

No one I know believes it's a place of torment...this seems to be an old idea.
One priest told me there is ongoing revelation and we should not cling to old ideas.

I'm Protestant now, BTW.

Reactions: bbyrd009

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The onus is on you to prove he did.

Ephesians 4:8-10
[8] Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men. [9] (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth? [10] He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Peter 3:18-29
[18] For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison; Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

The Christ I know did not descend to proclaim victory over death to the spirits in prison; which sometime were disobedient ...to shout what’s up guys I’m taking those over there on the other side of that gulf out...rich guy, you stay. The Christ I know stood in the gulf, He closed the breach between man and God, making it possible for sinners to pass over. Victory=good news to sinners. To proclaim victory to gloat in the face of the losers...that is fallen man’s take on victory, not God’s.

I wish I could prove it to you...but your mind is already set. It is a good thread though and you did present a good question.
I posted some Scripture that you did not address.
You could start there.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Ephesians 4:8-10
[8] Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men. [9] (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth? [10] He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)
Are you saying Jesus descended into hell??

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
St. Paul writes that we should pray for the dead. I don't know where it is, but he did say that in one of his letters. I don't know if that constitutes a second chance, but we believe souls go to purgatory and suffer great pains of purification and our prayers ease their suffering there. The Virgin Mary told the 3 seers at Fatima in 1917 that Jucinto would go to Purgatory until the end of the second coming. The other 2 were going straight to Heaven. That is proof enough for me.
Keep buying those Mass cards...

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you sure about the above? Do you have some support for it?
Why would two go straight to heaven and one go to purgatory?
Also, what does "till the second coming of Christ" mean?
There is time in the afterlife?

Also, are you aware that the Catholic Church is not sure about how purgatory is.
We could read about it in the CCC but most priests are coming to believe that it's different...that it may last only a few seconds or that it's like a glass window through which one could see heaven but cannot go there.

No one I know believes it's a place of torment...this seems to be an old idea.
One priest told me there is ongoing revelation and we should not cling to old ideas.

I'm Protestant now, BTW.
Someone told me I'm going to limbo because I'm bad to the bone.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
If you make your bed in heaven, he's there.
If you make you're bed in hell, he's there.
He's everywhere!
Help me somebody......
I have it on good authority that Jesus never went to hell to preach to those in hell.
That would be giving them a second change which is not possible.
Romans 1:19-20

No where in the bible does it say He went to hell.
But I know what you mean...

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
lol, yup

a pop literal interp, you never heard it?
although "literal" fails badly there too imo
there's a catholic prayer that says that Jesus descended into hell --- or is it a creed? I'd have to check.

But anyway, I'm told by those who know that this was a mistake...way back when it was written.

Where there is Jesus
There is heaven
And heaven is not in hell....

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
there's a catholic prayer that says that Jesus descended into hell --- or is it a creed? I'd have to check.

But anyway, I'm told by those who know that this was a mistake...way back when it was written.

Where there is Jesus
There is heaven
And heaven is not in hell....
Where there is Jesus, there is paradise, wherever he may be.

Reactions: GodsGrace

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you make your bed in heaven, he's there.
If you make you're bed in hell, he's there.
He's everywhere!
Help me somebody......

Psalm 139:7-10
[7] Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence? [8] If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there . [9] If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; [10] Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.

Isn’t this hell.

I give up. :)Blessings, Rollo. Going to go look up what “onus” means now.

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Psalm 139:7-10
[7] Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence? [8] If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there . [9] If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; [10] Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.

Isn’t this hell.

I give up. :)Blessings, Rollo. Going to go look up what “onus” means now.
what kind of language is that?
It's not English...

Reactions: GodsGrace