Does Jesus give people a 2nd chance after death?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BobRyan

Jul 27, 2018
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For Sure he gives… He, the father of all, loves his children. Doesn't matter if he/she has sinned or not, he loves his children in the same way. Though, as a good parent he awards us or punishes us for our good or bad deeds.

He teaches us to follow a good path, be righteous and just. He wants to walk on his told path and that who abides by him gets his blessings.

It doesn’t mean, he forgets his kids who accidently went on to the wrong path. He gives them time to get back on the right track. Whatever path a person has taken, no matter what jobs, bad or good they have done in their life, they have to ultimately face him after death.

I am a believer and thus I am sure he gives a 2nd chance to everyone. On the judgment day, everyone has to answer him for his/her doings. According to the person’s good & bad deeds, he gives his decision.

The good ones are allowed to stay with him in heaven, while others are sent back on earth to rectify their mistakes.

There is more creative writing there than I would be comfortable with - since believe the Bible is the Word of God.

Genesis 7 - the "many" (an entire planet-load of them) are destroyed by the flood and only eight survive.

Matthew 7 - the "many" on the wide road to hell.... the few on the narrow road to heaven.

God is not preaching fake news. He is deadly serious - and the death of His Son proves how seriously He take the sin-penalty problem.

A good Father loves all of his children - but when some children contract a deadly contagious lethal Ebola-like virus (Sin in this case) a loving Father does not just "let them mix freely with the healthy ones". The good surgeon cuts out the cancer to save the patient.

Some folks choose to be the cancer. All have free will.

Reactions: GodsGrace

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you saying Jesus descended into hell??

Psalm 63:9
[9] But those that seek my soul, to destroy it , shall go into the lower parts of the earth.

Ephesians 4:9-10
[9] (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth? [10] He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)

Can’t explain what or where “the lower parts of the earth” or “the heart of the earth” is, but it is there He descended. The deep. Matthew 12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Job 12:22
[22] He discovereth deep things out of darkness, and bringeth out to light the shadow of death.

Reactions: faithfulness

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
There is more creative writing there than I would be comfortable with - since believe the Bible is the Word of God.

Genesis 7 - the "many" (an entire planet-load of them) are destroyed by the flood and only eight survive.

Matthew 7 - the "many" on the wide road to hell.... the few on the narrow road to heaven.

God is not preaching fake news. He is deadly serious - and the death of His Son proves how seriously He take the sin-penalty problem.

A good Father loves all of his children - but when some children contract a deadly contagious lethal Ebola-like virus (Sin in this case) a loving Father does not just "let them mix freely with the healthy ones". The good surgeon cuts out the cancer to save the patient.

Some folks choose to be the cancer. All have free will.
I had asked @Charlie Foster for some scripture regarding a person returning to earth after death for a second chance,,,,but he never replied.

I wish he would.

Reactions: BobRyan

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I had asked @Charlie Foster for some scripture regarding a person returning to earth after death for a second chance,,,,but he never replied.

I wish he would.
maybe better to just Quote the vv that make that apparently impossible
27And just as it is appointed for people to die once — andafter this, judgment
and should be a Witness somewhere i guess. Also i would challenge this inferred leaving of earth, where is that, some parable being misinterpreted prolly

Reactions: GodsGrace

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Certainly the flesh profits, right, the v is just set-up in such a way that a dialectic statement about acting "from the flesh" is also made true.

You asked does the flesh profit nothing. Maybe your answer is in those of His flesh and household that were blinded.
Romans 11:9-12 [9] And David saith, Let their table be made a snare, and a trap, and a stumblingblock, and a recompence unto them: [10] Let their eyes be darkened, that they may not see, and bow down their back alway. [11] I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy. [12] Now if the fall of them be the riches of the world, and the diminishing of them the riches of the Gentiles; how much more their fulness?

Matthew 6:33
[33] But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Ac28

May 18, 2016
Arkansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I wish he would.
That's because there is no scripture for a second chance. Just a lot of wishful thinking. When the unsaved die, they suffer the ultimate punishment - permanent death. I can't believe this topic about a second chance, which has no scriptural basis at all, has 167 posts. When the Bible is silent, we must also be silent.

Sort of like people thinking they immediately go to Heaven when they die, even though in Jn 3:13, it says no one, except Christ, has ever gone to Heaven.

Reactions: charity and BobRyan

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I feel this is a much debated subject.
People like to read more into Scripture than what is there.
I've read of pastors who believe Jesus gives everyone a 2nd chance after death because he doesn't want anyone to go to hell.
some believe that when Jesus went to hell, he preached the Gospel and gave everyone from old a 2nd chance.
But the Bible doesn't say that.
Or does it.
Anyone have anything to say about this?
'For Christ also hath once suffered for sins,
the Just for the unjust,
that He might bring us to God,
being put to death in the flesh,
but quickened by the Spirit:
By which also He went
and preached unto the spirits in prison;
Which sometime were disobedient,
when once the longsuffering of God
waited in the days of Noah,
while the ark was a preparing,
wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.'

(1Pe 3:18-20)

Hello @Rollo Tamasi,

The 'spirits' that were imprisoned in Tartaroo, were the angels that fell in the days of Noah, contaminating the race by taking wives of the daughters of men, and bringing the judgment of God upon the world in the form of the flood (Gen.6). They were not the spirits of dead men, because the spirit (or breath of life) of man goes back to God Who gave it at death, Who is the father of spirits (Gen. 2:7; Eccl.12:7; Heb.12:9, ). The Lord 'preached' or 'heralded' the news of His victory over death and the grave to them, He did not preach the gospel to them (Jude 1:6; Col.2:15), He triumphed over them.

* Those who have not heard the gospel will come before Christ on the day that He will judge the secrets of men's hearts, and will be judged righteously, as Romans chapter two tells us, and some will be granted life on the basis of works, the day of grace having passed.

'To them who by patient continuance in well doing
seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:
But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth,
but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath,
Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil,
of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;
But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good,
to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile:
For there is no respect of persons with God.
For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law:
and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law;

(For not the hearers of the law are just before God,
but the doers of the law shall be justified.
For when the Gentiles, which have not the law,
do by nature the things contained in the law,
these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts,
their conscience also bearing witness,
and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another )
In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men
by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.'

(Rom 2:11-16)

Praise God!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: Rollo Tamasi

BobRyan

Jul 27, 2018
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the Just for the unjust,
By which also He went

(1Pe 3:18-20)

Hello @Rollo Tamasi,

The 'spirits' that were imprisoned in Tartaroo,

1. Don't see any mention of "Tartaroo" in 1 Peter 3.

2. Either the text is saying
A. that at the cross - and then the grave, ==> Jesus went to rescue "just those" who were alive at the time of Noah
OR
B. That the Spirit of Christ (The Holy Spirit) was convicting and enduring with much patience those wicked people in the days of Noah that were in rebellion against God.

It appears to me that "B" is the right answer in 1 Peter 3, given that in 1 Peter 1 we have this -1 Peter 1 "10 As to this salvation, the prophets who prophesied of the grace that would come to you made careful searches and inquiries, 11 seeking to know what person or time the Spirit of Christ within them was indicating as He predicted the sufferings of Christ and the glories to follow. "

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
1. Don't see any mention of "Tartaroo" in 1 Peter 3.

2. Either the text is saying
A. that at the cross - and then the grave, ==> Jesus went to rescue "just those" who were alive at the time of Noah
OR
B. That the Spirit of Christ (The Holy Spirit) was convicting and enduring with much patience those wicked people in the days of Noah that were in rebellion against God.

It appears to me that "B" is the right answer in 1 Peter 3, given that in 1 Peter 1 we have this -1 Peter 1 "10 As to this salvation, the prophets who prophesied of the grace that would come to you made careful searches and inquiries, 11 seeking to know what person or time the Spirit of Christ within them was indicating as He predicted the sufferings of Christ and the glories to follow. "

‘For if God spared not the angels that sinned,
but cast them down to hell
, (tartaroo)
and delivered them into chains of darkness,
to be reserved unto judgment;
And spared not the old world,
but saved Noah the eighth person,
a preacher of righteousness,
bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly;’

(2 Pet. 2:4)-5

Hello @BobRyan

Tartaroo is found in 2 Peter 2:4, it is translated 'hell' (Strongs No: G5020). This is where the 'spirits' or fallen angels are imprisoned.

the Just for the unjust,
By which also He went

(1 Pet. 3:18-20)

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: Ac28

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
‘For if God spared not the angels that sinned,
but cast them down to hell
, (tartaroo)
and delivered them into chains of darkness,
to be reserved unto judgment;
And spared not the old world,
but saved Noah the eighth person,
a preacher of righteousness,
bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly;’

(2 Pet. 2:4)-5

Hello @BobRyan

Tartaroo is found in 2 Peter 2:4, it is translated 'hell' (Strongs No: G5020). This is where the 'spirits' or fallen angels are imprisoned.

the Just for the unjust,
By which also He went

(1 Pet. 3:18-20)

In Christ Jesus
Chris
The word is Tartarus.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Psalm 63:9
[9] But those that seek my soul, to destroy it , shall go into the lower parts of the earth.

Ephesians 4:9-10
[9] (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth? [10] He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)

Can’t explain what or where “the lower parts of the earth” or “the heart of the earth” is, but it is there He descended. The deep. Matthew 12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Job 12:22
[22] He discovereth deep things out of darkness, and bringeth out to light the shadow of death.
I've already said that to my knowledge the lower parts of the earth was Paradise,
or Hades, or Abraham's Bossom where the saved from the O.T. times were awaiting the resurrection.

I was taught this and do agree with it, but who can know for sure?
I do believe that Jesus never entered into hell.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
That's because there is no scripture for a second chance. Just a lot of wishful thinking. When the unsaved die, they suffer the ultimate punishment - permanent death. I can't believe this topic about a second chance, which has no scriptural basis at all, has 167 posts. When the Bible is silent, we must also be silent.

Sort of like people thinking they immediately go to Heaven when they die, even though in Jn 3:13, it says no one, except Christ, has ever gone to Heaven.
It's a valid point however for a thread.
There's a church near me that teaches we CAN be saved after death.
I mean, could you envision the scene? I've described it and won't bore readers by doing this again...but we could write a script on this.

I would like to address your statement on John 3:13.
What does it mean exactly?
Don't people go to heaven, or wherever it is they belong, when they die?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've already said that to my knowledge the lower parts of the earth was Paradise,
or Hades, or Abraham's Bossom where the saved from the O.T. times were awaiting the resurrection.

I was taught this and do agree with it, but who can know for sure?
I do believe that Jesus never entered into hell.

I must have missed that post then. Sometimes I have noticed you speak of something you were taught but now see differently. I was told about endtimes and hell and all sorts of things. But as you have admitted one can change their view. Problem is, if I might not believe all I’ve been told all my life, then there is nothing to replace what was taken out. I’m not sure about endtimes or what comes yet. I’m not sure about Him descending into hell.

Reactions: Nancy

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I must have missed that post then. Sometimes I have noticed you speak of something you were taught but now see differently. I was told about endtimes and hell and all sorts of things. But as you have admitted one can change their view. Problem is, if I might not believe all I’ve been told all my life, then there is nothing to replace what was taken out. I’m not sure about endtimes or what comes yet. I’m not sure about Him descending into hell.
Oh my. I was raised Catholic. I was taught many things I don't agree with anymore.
When I say "I was taught" I don't really mean that.
I mean that I don't come to conclusions on my own...
I learn from churches, from theologians, from those that know more than me.
I might agree or disagree (I do use my brain!) but I don't come up with my own theories --- I feel like some on these forums do just that.

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
everyone's a Greek and Jewish scholar.
Reading the Bible and being taught by the Holy Spirit is taboo these days.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
everyone's a Greek and Jewish scholar.
Reading the Bible and being taught by the Holy Spirit is taboo these days.
There's a problem with this concept RT.
If the Holy Spirit teaches, why don't we all know the same concepts?

I can accept any concept, even OSAS, if it's taught by some churches...but some persons (not you - you're perfect) come up with their very own private theology.
This I don't care for. Jesus didn't teach for years for us to make up our own theories.