Does one need to study the bible?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Johnlove said:
[SIZE=16pt]Good then he or she may be open to the truth. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]He or she may see that learning to know God from a book or man is impossible. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]He or she just may go and ask God to give him or her the Holy Spirit, and let the Holy Spirit to bring him or her to know God.[/SIZE]
And that's fair, John. I just don't want them to get caught up in one our debates and too confused. My hope is that they reach out to one of us directly and not get in the middle of these debates..... You know as well as I do, it will only confuse them and may set a bad example of Christ, regardless of who is right or wrong. Fair?

Johnlove

Jul 1, 2014
Wilson, NC
Born_Again said:
And that's fair, John. I just don't want them to get caught up in one our debates and too confused. My hope is that they reach out to one of us directly and not get in the middle of these debates..... You know as well as I do, it will only confuse them and may set a bad example of Christ, regardless of who is right or wrong. Fair?
[SIZE=16pt]No! Only the Holy Spirit can bring one to know God. All we can do is help people to pray for them to be given the Holy Spirit. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]And then encourage people to obey what the Holy Spirit teaches him or her.[/SIZE]

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Johnlove said:
Good then he or she may be open to the truth.

He or she may see that learning to know God from a book or man is impossible.

He or she just may go and ask God to give him or her the Holy Spirit, and let the Holy Spirit to bring him or her to know God.
If learning to know God from reading the Bible or from learning from other people was impossible then you would not have learned anything...

If no one shared the gospel with you, you would still be dead in your transgressions...

This particular teaching you have is from the pit.

Reactions: Born_Again

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Johnlove said:
[SIZE=16pt]No! Only the Holy Spirit can bring one to know God. All we can do is help people to pray for them to be given the Holy Spirit. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]And then encourage people to obey what the Holy Spirit teaches him or her.[/SIZE]
Good grief, John. Then I suggest you dont reply to them. Let the Holy Spirit teach them. You stay out of it!!!

StarTemple

Dec 14, 2014
Milky Way
The Bible is a historic record in part for now. Much prophecy concerning Christ turned from prophecy to history (so has prophecy after Christ developed further). So in time all prophecy becomes history. In the process it was based on a historic record which has been progressively verified from mass doubt over time. Now if people want to doubt it for tablets dug out of the ruins of Egypt and Babylon and the opinions of world historians, then they can, but all of it is as speculative as the Bible is to people who did not actually witness those events. So if one is going to bet their life, for that is what they are doing whether they know they are or not, bet on the Bible and it being preserved not from layers of dirt, but in nearly pristine form, through the history of one of the most tumultuous national developments (Israel) of all time in history—because it has important truth Satan is fully prevented from hiding or destroying physically. (He attempts to hide it spiritually)

The Bible is a very important message.

If the Bible was preserved on mere paper, yet we have to recover the history of Egypt from stone ruins and from Babylon on buried and shattered clay tablets, SOMETHING has been preserving that fragile yet powerful Bible record far more perishable and targeted for removal than any of the above. So by special delivery guarded by angels (for real), for a reason, by all means take advantage of the Bible, CHERISH IT, ABSORB IT, READ IT, THINK ABOUT IT DEEPLY, for its very existence is not accidental or mere archaeological chance finds from the now defunct opposing kingdoms, whose fall was foretold in that record. Nor is it a fairy tale, Israel's candid history is in the Bible and God is who made sure the whole story is preserved, not political editors like the scribes and Pharisees.

And though it may delay, it will ALL come true fully; More will fall.

Habakkuk 2:2-3
Write down the revelation, and make it plain on tablets, so that a heraldb may run with it. 3 For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay.

The point is the Bible is the "middle man" for a person to Christ and God, from God, to Christ to the person, the BIBLE is what tells the whole story for the person the moment they pick it up and start reading it. Other "middle men" often confuse and delay this very direct message, FROM GOD, that the Bible TRULY is, so do not cultivate the doubt, which is all the enemy has for he could not remove the Bible and its truth itself. So doubt and confusion is all they can use. Yet the message is very clear:

John 3:16-18
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.

The Bible is actually a very direct message once the only "middle man" we have faith in is Jesus Christ the living Word, the Bible is just the written form of that Word, it is the most valuable physical thing in this world at this time, but the real Word is coming back, believe it, that's what it is all about on another level; standing when Christ shows up, and he will show up.

Imo intensified world developments will help some recognize the approximate period of that return (Hag2:7), and prophecy actually contains modern details of those developments. (Rev17:8-18, Dan11:42-45) The Bible is like spiritual Java, it helps one stay awake, it is the water of life in written form and it will not forever be mocked by certain powers in this world, it will come true to the last detail, the "particle of a word" will not go unfulfilled.

Expect Christ and keep expecting him, you will not be disappointed. (Rev14:9-11) It is God, Christ, you, you, Christ, God; and don't let anyone break that chain or affect your faith in your placement in it. No one is testifying for anyone in time but the person and Christ, we are individually accountable but we have Christ as one who pleads for us, the best defense lawyer blood can buy. We may as well continually prepare for the greater reality of Christ that time will bring, it is just a matter of time, not if but when, and not much more time at that. The Bible helps keeps it fresh in the mind and heart, and holy spirit reacts with the Bible and prayer, the Bible has power and faith channels it into the person.

Colossians 2:3

My goal is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, 3 in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.

Regards

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, with a certain poster no longer in the mix, we seem to be in agreement about the importance of the word. To know His word is to know Him. Anyone disagree?

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Born_Again said:
Well, with a certain poster no longer in the mix, we seem to be in agreement about the importance of the word. To know His word is to know Him. Anyone disagree?
What importance do you place on knowing Him after the Spirit? And notice, that I am providing a lot of Word.

2 Corinthians 5:16
Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more.

John 14:17
Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

John 15:4
Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.

The Soirit and the Word, work hand in hand, inseparable, in total agreement.

Ephesians 6:17
And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

1 Corinthians 2:12
Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

1 Corinthians 2:14
But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I understand your question correctly, even beyond His word, I ask the Lord to still guide me with the Holy Spirit, daily. I keep the Lord in my everyday life. Am I understanding you correctly?? I'm barely into my first cup of coffee.... Forgive me if I'm way off base LOL

jos681

Jan 25, 2009
Northeast Georgia, U.S.
I would say yes to reading and studying the Bible, that's what it is for. The Bible is God's word and to read God's word means you will learn of him. If you read his word and are sincere in wanting to know of him he will give you understanding. "SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND, ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE". God is not slack in his promises. You must remember tho, God teaches in levels. Sometimes he won't show you something that you want to know because there are other things you should understand. sometimes you want to know one thing in the Bible and you wouldn't understand it until you understood another part of scripture. The learning of God is a slow process. When we are first saved we are as babies on milk, but as we grow stronger we start to eat solid food. How wonderful that can be!!!

Many people try to read and understand God's word before they ask for God's forgiveness and submit their sins unto Jesus Christ. You must be born again before you can learn the scriptures. God's word is for his children alone. The sinner can not understand it neither will God show it to them. The sinner will argue that he knows but in reality he knows nothing. Yes, study and seek him out yet while ye can!!! God Bless.

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Like in another thread, you need to know the word but at some point you should expand your relationship and have more time for prayer. These are the times to really get to know Him and receive the Holy Spirit. Be the proof of His love on Earth. Faith and works.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Johnlove said:
Where do you think the words in the bible came from Johnlove? The Holy Spirit. It is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training.

2 Tim 3:16-17 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Abby1

Nov 19, 2014
I am new here and I have just skimmed through this thread....so forgive me if I overlook anything anyone has said or if I repeat or even if I appear just nuts and have taken everything way out of context!

That is something to think about though and I don't mean any malice. I say this with love. People tend to do this with God's Word just as they do this with each other.
So I am writing this to no specific person.

People write/speak about their beliefs whether with complete truth, partial truths, or with deception and lies. With every word is a spirit which controls the passion of the writing and words spoken. Me, not completely reading all the info in this thread and speaking out without complete knowledge and understanding of what each has said, well can lead me to show myself to be ignorant. But I will take that risk in hopes it may plant a seed. IMaybe one needs to be planted in me ;) I pray what I say doesn't offend anyone.

Does one need to study the Bible?

First, what does "need" mean? Need only? Need for salvation? Need to believe? Need for guidance? Need for understanding? The question to me is a bit vague. Then the thread went off on Holy Spirit. Then Love and so on....

To me "need" is hunger for. It is a must for spiritual growth. I do not desire it. I need it to survive.
To study.... I do not find it a chore to study. I have a very heavy spiritual appetite to study the Bible and have to pace myself and learne to spiritually exercise what I have learned.

We all are different.

First, there are all sorts of spiritual appetites and foods (milk to meat) for God's Word just as there are physical appetites and food for our flesh body. Some eat healthy while others mix good food with bad. Some try to stay healthy but backslide at times. Others just are undisciplined and eat bad. Some have heavy appetites while others do not. Some over eat and get sick and glutenous while others starve themselves and deprive themselves of proper nutrients and also become sick. The examples can continue.

So we have different spiritual appetites which give us different levels in our walk. We have different kinds of eating which can effect our spiritual health and walk.

Studying the Word helps us to grow healthy. It is food for our soul.

There are people who are physically unable to read, yet they find a way to fulfill their spiritual hunger. There are others physically not able to learn and comprehend...and depend on others. I personally think these are special to the Lord and He is with them. My opinion. There are people with all abilities and tools available yet never appear to have a spiritual hunger..... "Nothing new under the sun".... Some run the risk of being spiritually sick unto death.

So now we go to Holy Spirit and Love with other things.

I will let the spirit within me speak. It is up to you to decide if the Holy Spirit is guiding me or if this is my flesh spirit talking nonsense. there will be scripture in here - is it Truth with understanding?

Christ is "the Word of God". He is "the Alpha and Omega" - Beginning and End. "He comes in the volumn of the book" - Gen. through Revelation. He wrote this letter to me for a reason. I ask myself "why"? What possible reasons are there in His Word that I need to know and understand?
What is Love? He is Love. He loves us and wants us to learn what love is. We love Him because He first loved us.
What is Righteousness and Truth? He is. How do we know?
How does one gain knowledge,understanding and true wisdom with His discernment? "The fear (reverence) of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge..."
How does one reverence and know His Will?
His Word will never be void. It is always unveiling. Not one person has made it. We all fall short and need our Lord, Savior, and King.
The Word is the Comforter. It is His spirit. He Comforts and Guides.

If He took the time to write me and I am able, then I have the time to read it and study it. My God wants my love. He wants a relationship with me. He is within those pages and it strengthens me and my faith reading His Word. "Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God".
We are to live by faith in Him.
He promises me "He will never leave me or forsake me". He is the Comforter.
He promises me many other things. What are they? Do I claim them?

This topic is close to my heart. I came to Christ by first reading the Bible precept upon precept and line by line.

Samael

Mar 10, 2016
well the fact most people just blindly quote it like mindless zombies without actually understanding what they are saying and just copying what there parents told them then no either way it does not matter as you can bring a man to a library but you cant make him learn

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Samael said:
well the fact most people just blindly quote it like mindless zombies without actually understanding what they are saying and just copying what there parents told them then no either way it does not matter as you can bring a man to a library but you cant make him learn
So are you answering yes or no to the question of the op?

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It is as the Op stated, but some have thrown God and the HS to teh wind and placed the bible above all. Jesus gave us teh HS to teach us the truth, but men would rather prove themselves worthy through there learning as if it makes any differnece to God, all because of one little text in the bible.

2Ti 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

G4704
σπουδάζω
spoudazō
spoo-dad'-zo
From G4710; to use speed, that is, to make effort, be prompt or earnest: - do (give) diligence, be diligent (forward), endeavour, labour, study.

Basically is says work at it....

And yet it is God who aproves of men because of what Christ did, not because of their works.

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
It is as the Op stated, but some have thrown God and the HS to teh wind and placed the bible above all. Jesus gave us teh HS to teach us the truth, but men would rather prove themselves worthy through there learning as if it makes any differnece to God, all because of one little text in the bible.

2Ti 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

G4704
σπουδάζω
spoudazō
spoo-dad'-zo
From G4710; to use speed, that is, to make effort, be prompt or earnest: - do (give) diligence, be diligent (forward), endeavour, labour, study.

Basically is says work at it....

And yet it is God who aproves of men because of what Christ did, not because of their works.

Revelation 22..Jesus said "behold I come quickly and my reward is with me for every man according to his WORKS"

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That is teh whole issue is it not HTE. everyman is trying to say "looka te Me God loo kat what I did". everyman is trying to show tha the is better than eery one else, when we are all equal in Gods eyes. It doesnt seem to matte rwhat Jesus di, it somes to count for nothing for so many christians trying to "earn there salvation. And yet you achieve nothing but seperate youreslf from Christ, because while you work God can do nothing.

And what is our work,

to "BELIEVE, have FAITH in God".

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Revelation 22..Jesus said "behold I come quickly and my reward is with me for every man according to his WORKS"
And what goes with that, this bit.

Luk 18:8 I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?

Yet it is teh one thing that is sadly lacking.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Believeeee.....

Rom 9:30-33 NIV What then shall we say? That the Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, have obtained it, a righteousness that is by faith; 31 but Israel, who pursued a law of righteousness, has not attained it. 32 Why not? Because they pursued it not by faith but as if it were by works. They stumbled over the "stumbling stone." 33 As it is written: "See, I lay in Zion a stone that causes men to stumble and a rock that makes them fall, and the one who trusts in him will never be put to shame."