Does religion cause more conflict than it solves?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“Jesus practiced the religion of first century Judaism.”

(“What religion was Jesus?”)

Jesus of Nazareth, the Messiah, is himself historically rooted in Judaism.

Reactions: Jim B

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. The fact remains that his religion is Judaism, and Christianity began as a sect of Judaism.

Building on what you expressed, the religion of those who are disciples of Jesus is truth.
I largely agree with you, however, I also believe it is accurate to say that modern-day Jews are in error to continue to follow Judaism rather than the words and commands of Christ, who is also their savior, they just don't realize it - yet.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I largely agree with you, however, I also believe it is accurate to say that modern-day Jews are in error to continue to follow Judaism rather than the words and commands of Christ, who is also their savior, they just don't realize it - yet.

Anyone who doesn’t follow the words and commands of Christ will ultimately be found to be in error. I’ve yet to encounter any Jew who would dispute that.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Anyone who doesn’t follow the words and commands of Christ will ultimately be found to be in error. I’ve yet to encounter any Jew who would dispute that.
Did you misspeak? Modern-day Jews don't follow the words and commands of Christ.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Did you misspeak?

No. My comment about the Christ was a generic one.

Modern-day Jews don't follow the words and commands of Christ.

The vast majority of Jews today don’t yet recognize and acknowledge that Jesus of Nazareth, himself a Jew, is the Christ promised, raised up and sent by his God and their God.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The vast majority of Jews today don’t yet recognize and acknowledge that Jesus of Nazareth, himself a Jew, is the Christ promised, raised up and sent by his God and their God.
Ah I see. Thank you for the explanation.

St. Joseph

Apr 30, 2023
Arkansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While religion can be a cause of conflict, it carries political leverage that many say makes it a source for solutions and a tool for peace building.

Religion and Conflict Escalation. With religion a latent source of conflict, a triggering event can cause the conflict to escalate. At this stage in a conflict, grievances, goals, and methods often change in such a way so as to make the conflict more difficult to resolve.

Christianity is a person......Christ.
Religion has started more wars throuhout history than anything else.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
False. Have you noticed how the apostle John distanced Christ and His apostles from "the religion of the Jews"? Read the Gospel of John. The religion of the Jews -- Judaism -- was a departure from the teachings of the Bible and condemned by Christ as "the traditions of the elders". This was in conflict with the Word of God.
No, the Pharisees had distorted the Old Testament teachings. True Judaism was not a departure from the teachings of the Old Testament. It is true that some of the traditions of the elders were not of God, but that is a different issue. Jesus, who was a Jew Himself, corrected their false doctrines.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Have you actually polled Jews about what they believed? What was you sample set?

Reactions: Matthias

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christianity is a person......Christ.
Religion has started more wars throuhout history than anything else.

Christ is a person; Christianity is not.

Christianity, less commonly referred to as Christianism, is an Abrahamic monotheistic religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth. It is the world's largest and most widespread religion with roughly 2.4 billion followers representing one-third of the global population.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Have you actually polled Jews about what they believed? What was you sample set?

I haven’t conducted any polls. My comment is based on conversations I’ve had with Jews when visiting synagogues and personal encounters elsewhere with them, from time to time, including but not limited to reading Jewish sources.

Eliyahu613

Apr 14, 2020
Judea
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Israel
Bs"d

Did you ever find even one Christian who not only claims to follow the words and commands of JC, but also DOES them?

See here what JC himself says about the commandments:

“Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. 18 For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled. 19 Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven"
Matthew 5

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Does religion cause more conflict than it solves?​

Historically, yes.