Does Satan run the world? Or does God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My my. @Rella ~ I am a woman.

I’m not going to ever believe that Jesus is coming back again today. My choice is going to be to live day by day, and wait for death to take me out and move forward from this life…

I’m not afraid of what’s out in the world because my fear is towards God. Sorry if this offends you in any way.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Rella ~ I am a woman it’s a choice and you get that right? Readers decision. You may believe how you want to, but it doesn’t mean I have to accept it. I’ll love and respect you for your view. Same should go for me.

3 Resurrections

Jan 20, 2024
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t believe the entity known as Satan roams around today, and the Bible proves it was to come in a time to come quickly with the renewing of the age, and destruction of Israel.
YES. Totally agree with you on this, along with the scriptures that back it up. Satan is dead as a doornail since AD 70. God predicted in Isaiah 27:1 that He would slay that ancient serpent, the dragon. He accomplished this by burning Satan to ashes on the earth, as Ezekiel 28:18-19 also foretold.

The Roman believers got the bulletin in Romans 16:20 that God would crush Satan under their feet in a very short time - within their lifetime.

For those who cannot bring themselves to acknowledge that humanity alone is fully capable of performing and imagining evil on the level we see it today - they have no idea of how corrupt the human heart can be, even without the presence of any Satanic assistance whatever. Christ told us in Mark 7:21-23 where evil originates. "For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness: All these evil things come from within, and defile the man."

If all Bible prophecy, including Revelation, was fulfilled by 70AD, (aka Full Preterism), as Matthew claims, then we are living in the age of the new Heaven and new Earth.
YES, we ARE living with the new heavens and new earth in place at present. This NHNE was never said to be the culmination of regular human history on this planet, however.

3 Resurrections

Jan 20, 2024
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I want to see it in writing that "the sun WAS darkened, and the moon DID not giver her light...

I HAVE yet again just now and there is nothing.......
The "sun" and the "moon" in this text have to be understood in Biblical terminology. In Joseph's dream, the sun and moon represented his own father and mother - the origins of the nation of Israel - along with the stars representing all the sons of Jacob / Israel (Genesis 37:9-10). To have these entities "darkened" and not giving their light as before represented the elimination of Israel as a nation in the AD 70 period.

Revelation has many, many allusions to OT literature and prophecy - the author being an Israelite well-schooled in Hebraic expressions and OT references. It is only natural that he would adopt these expressions in his writing of Revelation.

The "powers of the heaven" being shaken were the evil angelic hosts being eliminated, since what was capable of being shaken was going to be REMOVED according to Hebrews 12:27. That means there is no longer an evil Satanic realm in existence anymore since the AD 70 period.

Last edited:

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The "sun" and the "moon" in this text have to be understood in Biblical terminology. In Joseph's dream, the sun and moon represented his own father and mother - the origins of the nation of Israel - along with the stars representing all the sons of Jacob / Israel (Genesis 37:9-10). To have these entities "darkened" and not giving their light as before represented the elimination of Israel as a nation in the AD 70 period.

Revelation has many, many allusions to OT literature and prophecy - the author being an Israelite well-schooled in Hebraic expressions and OT references. It is only natural that he would adopt these expressions in his writing of Revelation.

The "powers of the heaven" being shaken were the evil angelic hosts being eliminated, since what was capable of being shaken was going to be REMOVED according to Hebrews 12:27. That means there is no longer an evil Satanic realm in existence anymore since the AD 70 period.
Except that the Book of Revelation was written after
70 A. D.

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hi 3R,

Glad you are posting here.

I was going to contact you to tell you Mathew G needs your help....

NOW....

It is too convenient to say "The "sun" and the "moon" in this text have to be understood in Biblical terminology." That is always the way... a somewhat quasi-explanation of things that "get in the road".

Let's talk Josephus....
Link:

The 7 Signs Of Josephus Reveal End Times Destruction
LAST UPDATED ON: FEBRUARY 9, 2018 AT 5:23 PM
FEBRUARY 9, 2018 BY KEITH GOur only first-hand account of the Roman assault on the Temple comes from the Jewish historian Josephus Flavius who was a former leader of the Jewish Revolt who had surrendered to the Romans and had won favor from Vespasian. In gratitude, Josephus took on Vespasian’s family name – Flavius – as his own.

As an eyewitness to the destruction of Jerusalem, Josephus gives us a startling window into a series of seven signs which God sent to the people of Jerusalem prior to their ultimate destruction in AD 70.

Tell us all what he meant by

#3.
3) A COW GIVES BIRTH TO A LAMB
“At that same feast [just after the 2nd sign, the great light over the altar] a cow that had been brought by someone for sacrifice gave birth [just before it was to be killed] to a lamb in the midst in the court of the Temple.”

Where did this come from.... for it is not biblical.... yet an eyewiteness Josephuus... sates it.

I can hazard a guess as to it.... but, wont

What about
5) ARMIES IN THE SKY
“Again, not many days after that festival on the twenty-first of Artemisium [the Jewish month of Iyyar which is in the late springtime], there appeared a miraculous phenomenon, passing belief. Indeed, what I am about to relate would, I imagine, have been deemed a fable, were it not for the narratives of eyewitnesses and for the subsequent calamities which deserved to be so signalized [so “sign-ized,” a great sign]. For before sunset …” “For before sunset throughout all parts of the country [of Judea] chariots were seen in the air and armed battalions hurtling through the clouds and encompassing the cities.”

OR

ROMAN HISTORIAN TACITUS ALSO CONFIRMS:
“There were many prodigies presignifying their ruin which was not averted by all the sacrifices and vows of that people. Armies were seen fighting in the air with brandished weapons. A fire fell upon the Temple from the clouds. The doors of the Temple were suddenly opened. At the same time there was a loud voice saying that the gods were removing, which was accompanied with a sound as of a multitude going out. All which things were supposed, by some to portend great calamities.” [Tacitus Historiae V: The Roman Earthworks at Jerusalem]

Was everyone dead from that time that they could not record anything that would make it into scripture about that time?

Last... another hurdle we have battled.... the timing of Revelation... as I posted above.

Seems Josephus truly narrowed down the the date to the later one when he wrote this...
With the help of Eusebius.

Another Historian is quoted in What happened to the apostle John after the Biblical account of his life ends?

"With Eusebius (Church History III.13.1) and others we are obliged to place the Apostle's banishment to Patmos in the reign of the Emperor Domitian (81-96). "

This is well after 70AD
But: and the entire article is quite a read. Josephus comments on John's Apocalypse REMEMBER WHEN DOMITIAN WAS EMPEROR.... AD 81-96 long after the temple destruction and 70AD.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/3260046?seq=11
Josephus' Anticipation of a Domitianic Persecution

Page 11 of 11

Josephus presents a situation into which the Apocalypse of John readily fits. Owing to the stimulus given to emperor-worship by Domitian,

John of Patmos entertained a lively anticipation of trouble for Christians on account of their anta-
gonism toward the worship of any earthly potentate.

But the author of the New Testament Apocalypse cannot claim for his faith those precedents of toleration and those historical displays of providential protection by means of which Josephus hopes
to avert impending danger to Judaism.

Consequently Josephus is less desperate than the Christian seer, yet he clearly betrays
a similar anticipation of increasing hostility on the part of the authorities under Domitian.

AND THIS IS WHY THE HISTORIAN JOSEPHUS PROVES REVELATION HAD TO HAVE BEEN WRITTEN AFTER...BOLSTERED BT EUSEBIUS

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
70 A. D.
This is a tradition, that says it was written after. No one has to accept the traditions of man.

Internal evidences of Revelation suggest the Temple was still standing. And if it had been after the Fall why doesn’t John mention and “don’t be like those who didn’t listen when the temple had fallen.”

Reactions: 3 Resurrections

3 Resurrections

Jan 20, 2024
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
70 A. D.
Not according to all of Revelation's internal evidence. All of it combined narrows down Revelation's composition date to a period between late AD 59 and early AD60, just prior to the disastrous Laodicean earthquake.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
YES. Totally agree with you on this, along with the scriptures that back it up. Satan is dead as a doornail since AD 70. God predicted in Isaiah 27:1 that He would slay that ancient serpent, the dragon. He accomplished this by burning Satan to ashes on the earth, as Ezekiel 28:18-19 also foretold.

The Roman believers got the bulletin in Romans 16:20 that God would crush Satan under their feet in a very short time - within their lifetime.

For those who cannot bring themselves to acknowledge that humanity alone is fully capable of performing and imagining evil on the level we see it today - they have no idea of how corrupt the human heart can be, even without the presence of any Satanic assistance whatever. Christ told us in Mark 7:21-23 where evil originates. "For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness: All these evil things come from within, and defile the man."

YES, we ARE living with the new heavens and new earth in place at present. This NHNE was never said to be the culmination of regular human history on this planet, however.
:contemplate: Something to think about, thank you.

3 Resurrections

Jan 20, 2024
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's talk Josephus....
No, let's not talk Josephus. It's not necessary to quote Josephus to determine when Revelation was written. All that is necessary is scripture's own internal witness with its own language. THIS is what gives solid proof for an early date anywhere from late AD 59 until no later than AD 60.

It is also useless when determining Revelation's composition date to quote historians who have so often differed with one another and are prone to error like every other man.

There is a problem with your reasoning which pre-supposes that John was banished by Emperor Domitian to Patmos. This is not proven fact. For that matter, there is historical written evidence saying that it was the Emperor Nero who had John sent to Patmos. And you can't use a presumption to prove Revelation's date of composition. It's better to stick with Revelation's own language itself as well as other scriptures to determine this date.

Last edited:

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, let's not talk Josephus. It's not necessary to quote Josephus to determine when Revelation was written. All that is necessary is scripture's own internal witness with its own language. THIS is what gives solid proof for an early date anywhere from late AD 59 until no later than AD 60.

It is also useless when determining Revelation's composition date to quote historians who have so often differed with one another and are prone to error like every other man.

There is a problem with your reasoning which pre-supposes that John was banished by Emperor Domitian to Patmos. This is not proven fact. For that matter, there is historical written evidence saying that it was the Emperor Nero who had John sent to Patmos. And you can't use a presumption to prove Revelation's date of composition. It's better to stick with Revelation's own language itself as well as other scriptures to determine this date.
As usual, I disagree.

I prefer to follow what an historian who was living at the time had to say.

There is nothing that I have studied in Rev. that would lead me to believe and earlier date.

We have what Josephus wrote and we also have what Eusebius did. That is two.

But Ill continue my studies and let you know what I find.

Reactions: MatthewG

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As usual, I disagree.

I prefer to follow what an historian who was living at the time had to say.

There is nothing that I have studied in Rev. that would lead me to believe and earlier date.

We have what Josephus wrote and we also have what Eusebius did. That is two.

But Ill continue my studies and let you know what I find.
May the spirit of God guide.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I even suggest revelation could have been written as close to 67 Ad, and sent out. Because the time was coming quickly upon theM.

All the Bible letters and their written dates are all debatable to me.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The only thing I find interesting about Josephus is that he was born of a line of priest so he knew the Bible well, and he was quite the writer. He was born 4 years after Jesus’s ascended.

If I had a spare one I’d send this to you @Rella ~ I am a woman; I can’t remember how much on eBay it was.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    615 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    541.2 KB · Views: 1

3 Resurrections

Jan 20, 2024
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I even suggest revelation could have been written as close to 67 Ad,
Sorry, but that is too late to match with the internal evidence within Revelation. Revelation can't possibly be written any later than early AD 60, or any earlier than late AD 59. There are datable events in Revelation that prove this.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry, but that is too late to match with the internal evidence within Revelation. It can't possibly be written any later than early AD 60, or any earlier than late AD 59.
Like I said friend. It’s all debatable. You could share what you would like to prove that point with me if you want.

The only point I use is that the temple was still standing, it wasn’t anymore after 70Ad.

3 Resurrections

Jan 20, 2024
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The only point I use is that the temple was still standing, it wasn’t anymore after 70Ad.
Sure, I agree that this is one solid fact that denies the late dating. But it is certainly not the only one.

There is no way that Revelation's letter to the Laodicean church (reproving them for their smug, self-satisfied attitude) could have been written to them AFTER the AD 60 disastrous earthquake which Laodicea experienced. It had to be written JUST BEFORE that AD 60 earthquake, when the Laodiceans were still confidently cocky that they were rich and had need of nothing. God promised that if they did not repent, that He was "about to spue thee out of my mouth". This was God predicting the IMMINENT destruction coming to Laodicea by the AD 60 earthquake. Revelation had to have been written just before this AD 60 earthquake occurred.

Much more internal proof than this for an early date...

Reactions: MatthewG

3 Resurrections

Jan 20, 2024
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Additional internal proof for Revelation's early date...

John's readers were told to "calculate" the number of the Rev. 13 Sea Beast. They were to do this by counting backward in time 666 years from that time when Revelation was written to them, going back all the way to when that ancient Sea Beast first began its existence. This Sea Beast had the features of a lion, a bear, and a leopard in Rev. 13:2; all of which indicated that this Sea Beast was as old as the oldest "lion" kingdom (the Babylonian empire under Nebuchadnezzar). The Sea Beast's biography began with the first deportation of Daniel and others of Jerusalem's nobility to Babylon in 607 BC.

As John was writing Revelation, that Sea Beast had existed for 666 years up to that point in time (which would have been AD 59 / 60 - Revelation's composition date). Anyone living in that year with the slightest memory of Israel's captivity and subjection to all those pagan empires would have realized that this Sea Beast had first started its existence when Jerusalem's nobility were taken in that first 607 BC deportation. All it took for John's Jewish readers to understand this 666 number was a simple calculation of the number of years they had been subjected to all those pagan empires throughout their history.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not according to all of Revelation's internal evidence. All of it combined narrows down Revelation's composition date to a period between late AD 59 and early AD60, just prior to the disastrous Laodicean earthquake.
"

Christianity.com

Plus

When Was Revelation Written?​

...According to church tradition, John did not leave Palestine for Asia Minor until after the Jewish revolt against Rome in 66-70 AD. According to one biblical scholar, “placing the writing of Revelation during Nero’s reign would not allow sufficient time for John’s ministry to have reached the point where the Romans would have felt the need to exile him.” "