Does Satan run the world? Or does God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God speaking to Job said.

View attachment 43104
Yes God is ultimiate ruler, but has allowed Satan temproary control of the earth.

2 Corinthians 4:4
In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

Luke 4

King James Version

4 And Jesus being full of the Holy Ghost returned from Jordan, and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness,
2 Being forty days tempted of the devil. And in those days he did eat nothing: and when they were ended, he afterward hungered.
3 And the devil said unto him, If thou be the Son of God, command this stone that it be made bread.
4 And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.
5 And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time.
6 And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it.
7 If thou therefore wilt worship me, all shall be thine.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes God is ultimiate ruler, but has allowed Satan temproary control of the earth.

2 Corinthians 4:4
In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

Luke 4​

King James Version​

4 And Jesus being full of the Holy Ghost returned from Jordan, and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness,
2 Being forty days tempted of the devil. And in those days he did eat nothing: and when they were ended, he afterward hungered.
3 And the devil said unto him, If thou be the Son of God, command this stone that it be made bread.
4 And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.
5 And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time.
6 And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it.
7 If thou therefore wilt worship me, all shall be thine.

Would you say Satan still has control today? If so why?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a very specific reason for that question. Because before Jesus came into the world “arrangement” for the Jewish people it was under the law. With Yeshua completing this and nailing these ordinances to the cross, then fulfilling his purpose of coming back and with the wrath of God poured out upon the nation and completely being obliterated as a whole. Satan has no bounds in the “world” today because the arrangement has been replaced with the new covenant. While some suggest that Satan has control of the world for a brief period of time, that is correct: when the Law had not been fulfilled, now it has been and today…

Would Satan be able to still be around? My answer of course would be no. Darkness? Yes, all of us have darkness within to some degree or another and why light needs to come into one’s heart and mind, by the spirit.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because evil still exists and is getting worse as time goes on
Hey friend,

Did Adam and Eve not eat from the tree of knowledge of good and evil? Does Evil exist because of Satan? How would you connect it?

It’s a common response the one you give.

Reactions: ChristisGod

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can we explain the ghastly state of the world simply by human nature run amuck? Do we think the labor pains of evil we have seen increase in magnitude and intensity over the past 100 years can be explained solely in human terms? What the person and doctrine of Satan actually mean is yet another mystery, but I do believe it expresses some fundamental truth about supernaturally evil influences on human persons and events. So whether or not God allows Satan to "run the world," it certainly appears Satan is strong and extremely active. The late Dr. Michael Heiser (Unseen Realm) wrote extensively on the way the ancient Jews viewed the role of the demonic in the world: Dr. Michael Heiser - Biblical Scholar | Author | Semitic Languages Expert.

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey friend,

Did Adam and Eve not eat from the tree of knowledge of good and evil? Does Evil exist because of Satan? How would you connect it?

You didn't ask me, but I would say: Yes, there is a mysterious propensity toward evil within all of us, but it alone cannot explain the magnitude of the evil in the world or the mysterious increase in intensity we are observing. No, evil does not exist "because of" Satan. Evil exists because beings with free will - including Satan - can exercise that free will to disobey God. We are human evil; Satan is supernatural evil. Why God allows supernatural evil to interact with and influence human affairs, greatly mulitplying the human evil, is a huge mystery. Explanations like a "war in heaven" strike me as cartoonish, but they are attempts to deal with this fundamental mystery. I can understand why some heretics - the Manicheans and others - posited two gods, one good and one evil, and a genuine war between them.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can we explain the ghastly state of the world simply by human nature run amuck? Do we think the labor pains of evil we have seen increase in magnitude and intensity over the past 100 years can be explained solely in human terms? What the person and doctrine of Satan actually mean is yet another mystery, but I do believe it expresses some fundamental truth about supernaturally evil influences on human persons and events. So whether or not God allows Satan to "run the world," it certainly appears Satan is strong and extremely active. The late Dr. Michael Heiser (Unseen Realm) wrote extensively on the way the ancient Jews viewed the role of the demonic in the world: Dr. Michael Heiser - Biblical Scholar | Author | Semitic Languages Expert.
It’s the Law that causes a person to sin more isn’t it? When the Law was around, it seemed Satan was able to accuse of people to God, like Job for example. While you remarks consider Satan to be around, how do you explain him being around when, he has had his head crushed, done away with in the lake of fire and the former “arrangement within Israel” is made new from the new covenant, making a new “world” where Satan is not part of the picture.

Did not Adam and Evil eat the fruit in the Garden? Which was from the tree of knowledge of good and evil? By their nature they inherited we did to. It’s easy for me to have an attitude of hate and evil… it’s not Satan.

There are spirits of the world I believe that exist, such as spirit of greed, spirit of hatred, spirit of lust, etc… and all believers in Christ fall short based on their weakness.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
""""""And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.""""

However, Satan is the god of this world, for a little while longer.

How do you know?
Its because we are told to be in the world but not "OF it'., and if it was God operated then it would be His Kingdom, and its certainly not that. ,at all.
We are told that a Tribulation and a Great Trib is on the Way.

So, the Devil is still on the throne down here, , but Jesus is on the Way, and Soon.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You didn't ask me, but I would say: Yes, there is a mysterious propensity toward evil within all of us, but it alone cannot explain the magnitude of the evil in the world or the
Looking at myself in the mirror. I know that I am evil… thoughts of my younger self and the desire to take out my mother come to mind. You learn from your parents, and you learn from observing others… the logical explanation for evil is that God allows for it to continue to exist by merit of my own choice of following through an action that correlates to evil : gossiping on others, downplaying them, etc… it comes from you, it comes from me, it comes from others - maybe not as much from those whom have Christ in them, and those with Christ in them, fail in their weaknesses. All of us have times of weakness we give in to.
mysterious increase in intensity we are observing. No, evil does not exist "because of" Satan. Evil exists because beings with free will - including Satan - can exercise that free will to disobey God.
Because God created the tree of knowledge and good and evil.
We are human evil; Satan is supernatural evil.
I don’t know perhaps it’s because of my faith in Jesus and his victory so much I don’t think on demons or Satan anymore. Satan can’t do anymore than what is allowed by Yahavah… and Yahavah promised to have his head bashed in. I do believe in spirits of the world that exist, and people can be idolaters and also worship other gods that is not the living God.
Why God allows supernatural evil to interact with and influence human affairs, greatly mulitplying the human evil, is a huge mystery.
I don’t think I believe this is still true today with the “world” being new and under the one whom sits in the throne of Heaven, the Lord God Almighty. Things can influence even going down the dark road of trying to talk to spirits with oujia boards etc… the more you influences your mind with “Satan and his demons are around” you are gonna tend believe it more than the victory which Jesus has had in defeating them…

A mind renewal is in need.
Explanations like a "war in heaven" strike me as cartoonish, but they are attempts to deal with this fundamental mystery. I can understand why some heretics - the Manicheans and others - posited two gods, one good and one evil, and a genuine war between them.
Okay.

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Looking at myself in the mirror. I know that I am evil… thoughts of my younger self and the desire to take out my mother come to mind. You learn from your parents, and you learn from observing others… the logical explanation for evil is that God allows for it to continue to exist by merit of my own choice of following through an action that correlates to evil : gossiping on others, downplaying them, etc… it comes from you, it comes from me, it comes from others - maybe not as much from those whom have Christ in them, and those with Christ in them, fail in their weaknesses. All of us have times of weakness we give in to.

Because God created the tree of knowledge and good and evil.

I don’t know perhaps it’s because of my faith in Jesus and his victory so much I don’t think on demons or Satan anymore. Satan can’t do anymore than what is allowed by Yahavah… and Yahavah promised to have his head bashed in. I do believe in spirits of the world that exist, and people can be idolaters and also worship other gods that is not the living God.

I don’t think I believe this is still true today with the “world” being new and under the one whom sits in the throne of Heaven, the Lord God Almighty. Things can influence even going down the dark road of trying to talk to spirits with oujia boards etc… the more you influences your mind with “Satan and his demons are around” you are gonna tend believe it more than the victory which Jesus has had in defeating them…

A mind renewal is in need.

Okay.
I never allow the Bible to trump my actual human experience. Not a popular position here, I realize, but I cannot exist in the perpetual state of cognitive dissonance that many believers seem to embrace as though 'living in a state of cognitive dissonance" were proof of "real faith." My experience is that the magnitude and intensity of the evil in the world cannot be explained in human terms and demand a supernatural explanation, at least in part. In this instance, I see no disconnect with the Bible.

Whether interpreted literally or metaphorically, the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil did not create evil. The possibility of evil arose when God created beings, including Satan, with free will. Satan's dominion of evil would have existed even if humans had never fallen. They simply would have remained in a state of innocence, obeying God's commands with no concept of good or evil. In my belief, they would have remained less than fully human, unable to grasp God's goodness or enjoy genuine communion with Him.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I never allow the Bible to trump my actual human experience.
Some would popularize this as “being in one’s feelings,” but hey people say Ghost are still lurking around… etc… I wouldn’t downplay your experience. All us have have had experiences from good to bad. From partaking in evil, like myself when I was a Satan worshiper. I worshipped myself over all else and considered myself, in a sense god. I was wrong about that.
Not a popular position here, I realize, but I cannot exist in the perpetual state of cognitive dissonance that many believers seem to embrace as though 'living in a state of cognitive dissonance" were proof of "real faith."
I don’t even know what that means. All I know is the reader of the Bible must make the final choice what they believe about concerning it. Just like accepting Jesus and his return to a people whom were promised to see him, in that age.

That age no longer exists. We are in the new age, of the spirit today, which shows forth fruits of love. Anything that is not of love is not of God and only if this world.
My experience is that the magnitude and intensity of the evil in the world cannot be explained in human terms and demand a supernatural explanation, at least in part.
I don’t believes it’s that mysterious to me. I’ve had experiences as well. You made no remarks in my openings up to you, and it seems you are not going to change your mind. When it comes down to evil. We are inherited by the nature of Adam and Eve which they received and you watch and see God destroy the people then, be it seen world wide or a basin.

It seems to me it’s us human beings that is the problems, and it starts at the root of the human heart. God is speaking to everyone even as young children. Sometimes we rather go do bad things, than good.

I’ll be the first to admit I rather do bad, than good, but it’s the good of Christ within that helps perform God for Gods will and his pleasure.
Whether interpreted literally or metaphorically, the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil did not create evil.
It created a nature within Adam and Eve which they had sinned ran and hide naked knowing their shame - covering with fig leaves (covering oneself in religion.) From then on this nature continues to plague humankind in which eventually we end up dead.

It seems that Darkness existed in the presence of God. Therefore when he created light he separated the light from the darkness…

You may never have thought about this but perhaps it was the darkness that was there in the beginning which triggered Satan to turn against God and therefore Satan is just the representative of what Darkness entails…

I don’t believe the entity known as Satan roams around today, and the Bible proves it was to come in a time to come quickly with the renewing of the age, and destruction of Israel.
The possibility of evil arose when God created beings, including Satan, with free will.
Darkness that consumes one’s inner being. Sort of like that movie Neverending story. Satan chose to go with the darkness and leave his prior position.
Satan's dominion of evil would have existed even if humans had never fallen.
I’m not sure what difference that makes to me personally.
They simply would have remained in a state of innocence, obeying God's commands with no concept of good or evil.
They would have never died, I would suggest, but one of the kids down the line could have misheard their mother and fathers warning and went for it anyway. You know how children are.
In my belief, they would have remained less than fully human, unable to grasp God's goodness or enjoy genuine communion with Him.
I believe they would have been fully human, and they could have asked God how to procreate, they could have even went as far as to tell about the snake in the garden but “chose” not too.

It’s amazing that Adam blamed God for the woman whom he had given him.

In the end. I still believe that it’s the Lord God Almighty on the throne, and I believe the rainbow underneath symbolizes peace with Yahavah and the world today, and Satan is done away with, despite the countless…

Experiences of people which could be true or not true, doesn’t make a difference if your heart is changed and you are able to love God and other people by the spirit.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes he still is in temprary control. Jesus has not returned and he has not been abyssed yet so he is still the false god of this world. but he is on a leash.
Thank you for sharing your take, Ronald. Scary to think about.

It seems you have a view that Jesus has yet to have the victory over the Devil. Jesus talks about casting him, out of this world, and the Revelation speaks about the doing away with the Devil too. God promised the defeating of the devil with a crushed head in Genesis. And Jesus promised that the things which would happen within that generation would happen. That generation would include the 7 churches in Asia Minor. Are you saying that those people never seen the return of Christ? And what do you base it on?

Just curious for more information.

Reactions: 3 Resurrections

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey friend,

no satan = no evil- until his rebellion against God evil was not in existence. Evil is a result being against the Light/ God. Sin brought forth evil-gave birth to its existence.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
no satan = no evil- until his rebellion against God evil was not in existence.
There seemed to be darkness that God was surrounded by before he said let there be light and separation was what he did between the light and darkness. Could Satan have been influence by this darkness that existed seemingly around God been what tempted even himself to fall? Just curious have you ever thought of it? Satan in turn would be in a representation of what the darkness entails. Such as exaltation, pride, haughty, etc… those are some things that reside in our heart annd aren’t from Satan directly or indirectly. The world is what tempts us which comes by our own lust. The darkness seemed to exist before anything else was made. I don’t know when.

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ronald Nolette could the “god of this world” be in reference to how Israel worshiped the Law, and it was the governing force and drive for them, could Israel have been the ha’Satan? The Law to them was what they worshipped, and not Yahavah himself. Making traditions of man, and things of that nature to be performed or held on to, and to forsake and kill Jesus.

That’s pretty Satanic isn’t it? So instead of the snake in the garden. It could be seen them themselves as the “adversary.”