Does the Bible teach us how Cain murdered Abel? I think so.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Skovand1075

Jul 13, 2022
Alabama.
www.instagram.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This one centers on Cain and his brother, Abel. Many times people often believe that the death of Abel is wrapped up in mystery, and one of those mysteries is how did Cain kill Abel. It’s often claimed that the Bible never says how he did it. But personally, I believe it does. Most people seem to imagine Cain lifting up a rock and smashing it into the back of his poor brothers head crushing the skull in. Maybe it was just one hit, or maybe it was a bloody violent out of control attack that lasted minutes with Cain just bringing the rock down again and again and again. It sort of makes me think of the elevator scene from Driver but with a apple sized rock.

However, I don’t think either one is true and I believe the original language helps clear it up.

Cain’s name in Hebrew is “ Qayin “ which in a concordance is H7014. Most will hear that Cain’s name means to acquire because phonetically it’s pronounced the same as qanah ( h7069 ) which means acquire. However, it’s less often brought up that despite sounding differently, it’s written identical to qayin (h7013) which means spear.

So the first clue to me that Cain killed Abel with a spear is because just like Abel, whose name has a special meaning in Hebrew, so does Cain’s and his name means spear.

But there is a second clue in verse genesis 4:8. It’s the word “wayyaharḡêhū” (h2026) translated as “ and killed him”. The reason why that’s important is because that exact phrase only shows up 2 other times in the entire Tanakh/ OT.

Those verses are: 2 Samuel 23:21 and retold in 1 Chronicles 11:23 and in each case it says “ 21 And he struck down an Egyptian, a handsome man. The Egyptian had a spear in his hand, but Benaiah went down to him with a staff and snatched the spear out of the Egyptian's hand and {killed him/ wayyaharḡêhū } with his own spear.“

So on genesis 4:8 we learn that Cain’s name is spelled the same as spear, and the exact phrase in Hebrew mentioning he killed him is only found in two other places where the man was killed by a spear.

We see these paralleled later on in the gospel with the death of Jesus. Jesus , though not killed by a spear, was a innocent man who ended up having a spear drove into his side spilling out his blood. In the same way, I believe that Cain drove a spear into the side of Abel spilling out his blood.

There is also another really cool hyperlink. It’s as if Jesus, on the cross, was looking back throughout time and answering Gods question to Cain.

When Yahweh came upon Cain he asked him this.

“9 Then the Lord said to Cain, “Where is Abel your brother?” And he said, “I do not know. Am I my brother’s keeper?” 10 Then He said, “What have you done? The voice of your brother’s blood is crying out to Me from the ground. “

Cain made it clear he was not there to protect or save his brother from anything. It’s the opposite of what Christ did for us. You can picture God looking down at the Pharisees who was about to kill his son. I can imagine Jesus hearing his father asking them “ what have you done I can hear my son’s blood screaming out to me” and Jesus stands up for us and says “ Father forgive them “.

The verse Genesis 4:8
Genesis 4:8 Hebrew Text Analysis

Cain’s name.
Strong's Hebrew: 7014. קָ֫יִן (Qayin) -- Cain

The word for spear.
Strong's Hebrew: 7013. קֵין (qayin) -- a spear

The word for “ and killed him “
Hebrew Concordance: way·ya·har·ḡê·hū -- 3 Occurrences

shortangel

Aug 23, 2020
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well tradtion says that Cain picked up a rock and hit Abel on the head although scripture doesn't actualy say that

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This one centers on Cain and his brother, Abel. Many times people often believe that the death of Abel is wrapped up in mystery, and one of those mysteries is how did Cain kill Abel. It’s often claimed that the Bible never says how he did it. But personally, I believe it does. Most people seem to imagine Cain lifting up a rock and smashing it into the back of his poor brothers head crushing the skull in. Maybe it was just one hit, or maybe it was a bloody violent out of control attack that lasted minutes with Cain just bringing the rock down again and again and again. It sort of makes me think of the elevator scene from Driver but with a apple sized rock.

However, I don’t think either one is true and I believe the original language helps clear it up.

Cain’s name in Hebrew is “ Qayin “ which in a concordance is H7014. Most will hear that Cain’s name means to acquire because phonetically it’s pronounced the same as qanah ( h7069 ) which means acquire. However, it’s less often brought up that despite sounding differently, it’s written identical to qayin (h7013) which means spear.

So the first clue to me that Cain killed Abel with a spear is because just like Abel, whose name has a special meaning in Hebrew, so does Cain’s and his name means spear.

But there is a second clue in verse genesis 4:8. It’s the word “wayyaharḡêhū” (h2026) translated as “ and killed him”. The reason why that’s important is because that exact phrase only shows up 2 other times in the entire Tanakh/ OT.

Those verses are: 2 Samuel 23:21 and retold in 1 Chronicles 11:23 and in each case it says “ 21 And he struck down an Egyptian, a handsome man. The Egyptian had a spear in his hand, but Benaiah went down to him with a staff and snatched the spear out of the Egyptian's hand and {killed him/ wayyaharḡêhū } with his own spear.“

So on genesis 4:8 we learn that Cain’s name is spelled the same as spear, and the exact phrase in Hebrew mentioning he killed him is only found in two other places where the man was killed by a spear.

We see these paralleled later on in the gospel with the death of Jesus. Jesus , though not killed by a spear, was a innocent man who ended up having a spear drove into his side spilling out his blood. In the same way, I believe that Cain drove a spear into the side of Abel spilling out his blood.

There is also another really cool hyperlink. It’s as if Jesus, on the cross, was looking back throughout time and answering Gods question to Cain.

“9 Then the Lord said to Cain, “Where is Abel your brother?” And he said, “I do not know. Am I my brother’s keeper?” 10 Then He said, “What have you done? The voice of your brother’s blood is crying out to Me from the ground. “

Cain made it clear he was not there to protect or save his brother from anything. It’s the opposite of what Christ did for us. You can picture God looking down at the Pharisees who was about to kill his son. I can imagine Jesus hearing his father asking them “ what have you done I can hear my son’s blood screaming out to me” and Jesus stands up for us and says “ Father forgive them “.

Cain’s name.

The word for spear.

As far as I know it simply stated Cain assulted Abel, which resulted in death, but what is the relevancy?

Skovand1075

Jul 13, 2022
Alabama.
www.instagram.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As far as I know it simply stated Cain assulted Abel, which resulted in death, but what is the relevancy?

Did you read through the post? Or just the title and then wanted to share a discussion?

what’s the relevancy? Several. It ties into the gospel. As disciples we are told to meditate on scripture. If you’re someone who enjoys in-depth studying and how tropes and biblical patterns are set up it touches on that.

Why did God allow us to know more than a plain text reading? Probably excuse he wrote it to ancient Jewish people in their own language and it was stepped in their culture and worldview.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Cain’s name.

The word for spear.

“…avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain.” (Titus 3:9)

“Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.” (1 Timothy 1:4)

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Cain’s name.

The word for spear.

Maybe, maybe not! God decided it wasn't important enough to specifically write down. I suffer nothing by not knowing! REmember Cain got his name at birth.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you read through the post? Or just the title and then wanted to share a discussion?

what’s the relevancy? Several. It ties into the gospel. As disciples we are told to meditate on scripture. If you’re someone who enjoys in-depth studying and how tropes and biblical patterns are set up it touches on that.

Why did God allow us to know more than a plain text reading? Probably excuse he wrote it to ancient Jewish people in their own language and it was stepped in their culture and worldview.

I must admit sir, I did not, and I apologize, I will go back right now and read it.

I have went back and researched what you said, and salute you sir for your insight. In one place in the Bible that refers to spear, it is exactly the same word, so I have to admit you may very well be correct. The Bible is a remarkable book in which you can spend an eternity in learning, and you obviously taught me something that I was not aware of prior.

Although you may have nailed the way Cain killed Abel, it is still just speculation and opinion, and again I stress it may very well be correct, but Jehovah chose not to clearly include that in His word, so it has to remain speculation. May I ask that in the scheme of things, when people are needing to be reached with the good news of the Kingdom that we have been sent to proclaim, what is the relevancy of devoting so much time and research to what appears to be an insignificant topic? No offense intended sir, and I recognize your sincerity, and likely the truth of the matter, but still do not see the need for this in the ministry. Now is the time to make disciples while the door is still open.

Skovand1075

Jul 13, 2022
Alabama.
www.instagram.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess it depends on who you are studying with. This subject routinely comes up when I’m sharing my faith with agnostic Christian’s to help show support of the messiah being hunted at throughout the Bible. Additionally, it helps because scripture is meditation literature as we study it more and more we learn more and more and it helps up pick up the wisdom better. It’s also especially beneficial when studying with Jewish people.