Does the day of Christ resurrection tell us to worship on Sunday?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Does the new reality in Christ being in us and with us always is why we are guiltless for profaning the sabbath day?

So in the end you concluded you are the one guiltless for profaning the sabbath day. As I said,
It's OK it's a question. If you want to inform God about your final decision, do it through prayer all the same.

Last edited:

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
O my God, why cannot anyone SEE the Sabbath is not about us, it's about You and us?
What has the Sabbath to do with us, the Sabbath was the sign of the covenant between Israel and God, what has it to do with us gentile who never where required to keep it, now we rest in Christ from our own works as God rested from His, simply because Christ has already fulfilled all the requirements, paid the price in full, all we need do is believe, isnt that hard enough for anyman, why put another yoke around a mans neck???

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
The Resurrection of Christ changed the nature of the Sabbath Day. All Scripture tells of the Divine change Jesus' Resurrection would bring about as reason for being of the Sabbath Day. Sunday NEVER was relevant or involved or earmarked or blessed or hallowed or marked or signed in any way for WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED ON AND IN AND WITH AND TO "the day, The Seventh DAY Sabbath OF THE LORD GOD". <<God never told anyone to keep Sunday in honor of the Resurrection of Christ>>, but God always told "the People of God" that "because I brought you up out of Egypt" and "up from the Red Sea" and "up through the River Jordan .. THEREFORE you shall remember the Sabbath". "If JESUS GAVE them rest, remembering the Sabbath THEREFORE for the People of God remains mandatory."

...and NOW it struck me for the first time why it is that the Gospel of Jesus Christ BEGINS with John the Baptist baptising in the River JORDAN! As "Last of the prophets" John's baptising in the River JORDAN FORESHADOWED nothing short of and nothing less than THE RESURRECTION OF JESUS CHRIST FROM THE DEAD in MEMORY of and as LINK in SALVATION HISTORY BETWEEN BEFORE AND AFTER THE PROMISED CHRIST AND SAVIOUR ... 'in the Last Day'!

Last edited:

Enow

Feb 5, 2020
Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First, kindly, improve my statement / translation, 'keeping Sabbath', with 'remembering the Sabbath' from 'apoleipetai' Hebrews 4:9. Thanks.

Your question is one of the most meaningful that could be asked 'concerning' the Sabbath - Hebrews 4:4.

Keeping the sabbath requires a work on the O.T. saints' part. So to cease from our work as God did His, is by resting in Him by not keeping that commandment because we are saved and no longer under the law to work at keeping that commandment to be saved.

It usually gets asked to <prove Jesus broke the Sabbath>, but that cannot be farther from the truth.

WHY?! HOW?! is it untrue? Did not the priests WORK in the temple on the Sabbath?

They absolutely did work. Their JOB was a Sabbath's WORK OF DUTY.

You are proving His point. Jesus gave 2 examples in Matthew 12:1-7 for how the saints had actually profaned the sabbath and yet they were guiltless because they were in the temple. In defending His disciples, Jesus said One greater than the temple was here, meaning inferring Himself for why His disciples were guiltless because He was with them.

Just like the Sabbatharian legalists the Sunday legalists in eternity will not, can not, and SHALL not admit that GOD'S WORK ON THE SABBATH DAY WAS HIS ALMIGHTY REST OF THAT DAY, "finished", "blessed" and "hallowed".

"For thus God concerning the Seventh Day [Sabbath of the LORD GOD] SPAKE" : "concerning the Sabbath spake, Then God the Day The Seventh Day from ALL, HIS, WORKS, RESTED."

Undeniable this is an uninterrupted New Testament reference to the Creation Saga, specifically to the Scripture Genesis 2:2,3 CONTINUED AND FINISHED in 3:8-24.

For THIS, I have for the greater part of my life been made the laughingstock and gallows pole, rope and hanged by Saturdayists and Sundayists alike despite I called upon many great Christians who believed Sunday is the Christians' day to worship as witnesses to the truth that, within the unity of Genesis 2:2,3 and 3:8-24 God's REST IS God's WORK and vice versa.

Well.. I would think this verse about when to collect for the support of the missionaries in the field should prove that.

1 Corinthians 16:1Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye. 2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

2 Corinthians 9: Therefore I thought it necessary to exhort the brethren, that they would go before unto you, and make up beforehand your bounty, whereof ye had notice before, that the same might be ready, as a matter of bounty, and not as of covetousness.

The churches are instructed that when the bounty is collected during church service on the first day of the week, they were to set aside a portion from the bounty for the support of the missionaries in the field to avoid the appearance of covetousness by not holding a special collection to raise supply for the missionaries when they had arrived.

Thank you for sharing.

Reactions: Nancy

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
by resting in Him by not keeping that commandment

This you say not because you cannot SEE but because you WILL NOT see. THIS is the kind of AUDACITY resulting not from Christ's virtues and accomplishments but from man's haughtiness and misdemeanour, simply, from man's God defying disobedience. I REJECT IT, I DESPISE IT, I ABHOR IT.

Besides, every word and every idea of it is lowest grade falsehood.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Jesus gave 2 examples in Matthew 12:1-7 for how the saints had actually profaned the sabbath and yet they were guiltless because they were in the temple. In defending His disciples, Jesus said One greater than the temple was here, meaning inferring Himself for why His disciples were guiltless because He was with them.

You make it TWO greater than the temple, you, the first one greater, the Other of no consequence.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
The FALSE:

1 Corinthians 16:1Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye. 2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

The TRUE:

1 Corinthians 16:1Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye. 2 Every First Day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

Enow

Feb 5, 2020
Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This you say not because you cannot SEE but because you WILL NOT see. THIS is the kind of AUDACITY resulting not from Christ's virtues and accomplishments but from man's haughtiness and misdemeanour, simply, from man's God defying disobedience. I REJECT IT, I DESPISE IT, I ABHOR IT.

Besides, every word and every idea of it is lowest grade falsehood.

Did the Gentiles sinners kept the sabbath before they were saved? If not, then how come there is no careful instructions nor a necessity to teach Gentiles to keep the sabbath day in any epistles to the churches in the N.T. ? Indeed, in the Book of Revelations, there is no mention of the breaking of the sabbath commandment in any churches of the saints in the future that needed to be repented of, and yet you see it everywhere, right?

I am asking you to read over Matthew 12:1-7 one more time asking Him to help you see the truth in His words why you are guiltless for profaning the sabbath day, because He is in you and is with you always for why His disciples were guiltless in His eyes.

I do point out that for Israel to keep the sabbath, they are also required to stone to death any Jew breaking the sabbath day. For that to change in the N.T. because some believers came from Jewish background, were not stoning to death any one breaking the sabbath commandment among the Gentiles, yet we find no emphasis on teaching the Gentiles to keep the sabbath day commandment.

So are you really keeping the sabbath day commandment within the churches? Are you for yourself in not buying anything on Saturday that takes advantage of someone working on the sabbath for you to do that? What about all those on television for your entertainment on the sabbath?

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States

Using this verse and going by the Jewish calendar the new day began at sundown, so the beginning of the day would have been Saturday evening. This verse can be read as describing the resurrection as happening on Saturday rather than Sunday. However in Mark 16, with the description of a sunrise it is pretty clear that it had to be Sunday morning. Matthew seems to have a tendency to play loose with the facts as compared with the other gospels.

Enow

Feb 5, 2020
Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The FALSE:

The TRUE:

1 Corinthians 16:1Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye. 2 Every First Day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

Right. On the first day of the week when they were holding church service was when the collection was held where said collection, a portion from that collection would be set aside afterwards for the support of the missionaries in the field that it would be ready for them when they come.

So it is reasonable to know that was when they were holding church services which was on the first day of the week when they were to hold their collection for the saints to have it ahead of time for when they come and not hold a collection at the time they come.

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
On the first day of the week when they were holding church service
Where does the text say they were holding church service? In context there was a famine in Judea (Acts 11:29) that various believing communities (Galatia, Corinth, etc.) were taking up collections for. Nowhere is it indicated that this was to be an ongoing collection (Paul said "so there will be no collections when I come"). To take these verses from their context and use them as guidelines for worship practices and days are disingenuous and lacks biblical support.

Reactions: GerhardEbersoehn

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Open unashamed making your word, the Word of God : HERE ....

The churches are instructed that when the bounty is collected during church service on the first day of the week, they were to set aside a portion from the bounty for the support of the missionaries in the field to avoid the appearance of covetousness by not holding a special collection to raise supply for the missionaries when they had arrived.

<<...collected during church service on the first day of the week...>> Big Mouth Little Horn pipsqueak exegete!
16:1 further is one point "concerning the collection" on the list of Paul's announcements from and including 15:58, —
announcements which Paul made from the pulpit ON THE SABBATH as he preached to the Church wherever whenever, —
announcements he made after his Sabbath's SERMON as here, —
in 1Crinthians 15, and closed with verses 55-57, his sermon, —
which he then, LATER ON, WROTE
to the Corinthian Church,
in which Letter Paul inter alia "gave instruction about / concerning the collection", —
this Letter which Paul at any time after, during his preaching ministry, as and like his other Epistles, WROTE to the Church, —
which Letter to the Corinthians on Sabbaths also had to be READ to all the other churches, —

when, “Ye, beloved brothers, must always firmly be congregating” [adelphoi agapehtoi edraihos ginesthe pantote].

“So now…” announces Paul after his Sabbath sermon, —

“So now concerning the collection…”, the ad hoc charity attempt at the time for the suffering Church in Jerusalem, —

“Everyone of you” [hekastos humohn], “at home…” [par heautohi] (‘chez lui’), “… on the First Day of the week…”, —

“on the First Day of the week calculate and put away according to your income…”, —

“according to your income” the past First to the Sixth Day days of the week,

Paul saying without saying, Don’t bother about it on the Sabbath—the Sabbath is meant “to hear the Word of God”. (Acts 13:44)

Last edited:

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Where does the text say they were holding church service? In context there was a famine in Judea (Acts 11:29) that various believing communities (Galatia, Corinth, etc.) were taking up collections for. Nowhere is it indicated that this was to be an ongoing collection (Paul said "so there will be no collections when I come"). To take these verses from their context and use them as guidelines for worship practices and days are disingenuous and lacks biblical support.
Amen

Enow

Feb 5, 2020
Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

1 Corinthians 16:1Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye.

This was an order given to all the churches to practice.

2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

Collection is done at church service. Every one of you as in addressing each church. It is from the bounty, the church was to set aside a portion for the supplying of the missionaries to collect when they come to that church or any church so that there be no special collection just for the missionaries when they or Paul had come.

Do not church services hold collection or not? They do. It is from that collection they are to take a portion from the bounty for the missionaries.

There is no point doing that on another day from the day they held church service when they do that collection for the missionaries from the portion of the bounty.

Enow

Feb 5, 2020
Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Open unashamed making your word, the Word of God : HERE ....

First off...

2 Timothy 2:24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, 25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

If you can't stick to the issues without belittling, then you need a break and pray, because you ought to know if God is peradventuring, He doesn't need you to belittle. In fact, I have not read of any one winning any one over in that way in any conversation.

<<...collected during church service on the first day of the week...>> Big Mouth Little Horn pipsqueak exegete!
16:1 further is one point "concerning the collection" on the list of Paul's announcements from and including 15:58, —
announcements which Paul made from the pulpit ON THE SABBATH as he preached to the Church wherever whenever, —
announcements he made after his Sabbath's SERMON as here, —
in 1Crinthians 15, and closed with verses 55-57, his sermon, —
which he then, LATER ON, WROTE
to the Corinthian Church,
in which Letter Paul inter alia "gave instruction about / concerning the collection", —
this Letter which Paul at any time after, during his preaching ministry, as and like an ordinary Epistle, WROTE to the Church in Corinth, —
which Letter had also to be read to all the churches during sermon-time
(after ‘Service hour’), —
on the Sabbath (before “every First Day of the week”).

1 Corinthians 15:55 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory? 56 The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law. 57 But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. 58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.

So where is the pulpit on the sabbath day that Paul supposedly preached from that you were talking about?

I know about the verses in Acts where they did missionary outreach to the Jews on the sabbath in the synagogue, but I do not believe the Jews would allowed them to hold a church service on that day, let alone in their Jewish synagogue.

Here is a verse from the Book of Acts that told me when they held service was when they came together regularly to hold communion.

Acts 20:7 And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight. 8 And there were many lights in the upper chamber, where they were gathered together.

Now understand my point of view whether you believe it or not, because it sure reads to me on the first day of the week was when they were holding communion. Can you understand why I believe that?

Now don't get mad. Just lean on the Lord Jesus Christ for His ministry on the topic. A disciple bears more fruit when they get pruned.

John 15:1I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. 2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.

Proverbs 27:17 Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 16:1Now concerning the collection for the saints

This collection was for the saints. The text clearly says that. In order to determine which saint look to Acts 11:29.

This was an order given to all the churches to practice.
Perhaps, but we cannot be certain as the scriptures only mention the churches of Galatia. Whether or not it was extended to congregations not mentioned in the text, we don't know, but we do know the purpose of the collection. The collection was for a specified reason and nowhere are readers told that it was to be a perpetual thing. In fact, the end of verse 2 says no gatherings of support would be taken after Paul arrived. Sounds like there was a limited time frame place on this special collection from the text.

Acts 20:7 And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight. 8 And there were many lights in the upper chamber, where they were gathered together.

Now understand my point of view whether you believe it or not, because it sure reads to me on the first day of the week was when they were holding communion. Can you understand why I believe that?

It is not confirmed from this text in Acts that the breaking of bread refers to communion. Looking at the full context that goes down to verse 11 (Acts 20:7-11), the case can be made that the disciples were eating a meal together as after midnight Paul went back to eat again.
Additionally, the 1st day of the week was not equivalent to Sunday. The 1st day of the week began approximately at sunset on Saturday evening and ended around sunset Sunday evening. Perhaps in this context, the disciples came together Saturday night to eat since Paul was leaving the next day and during this gather Paul preached from like 7pm or 8pm to midnight.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
1 Corinthians 15:55 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory? 56 The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law. 57 But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. 58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.

So where is the pulpit on the sabbath day that Paul supposedly preached from that you were talking about?

You Don't 'see' it in the above displayed before your eyes SCRIPTURE.

You Won't 'see' it because of your fear, because of your lack of knowledge, because of your cultivated distaste for the Sabbath of the Lord Jesus, because of your love for being esteemed among the deaf and blind.

You Will not 'see' it-- Will not, see this: The whole chapter, the greatest of Paul's sermons, with the Theme the battle-cry of his life. (One could say chapter 15 is Paul's only sermon he ever preached.) In the same way somehow or other the same chapter 15 recurs through all Paul's Letters. But what the Sundayers hate more than anything is to realise Paul preached this sermon before the Church of Christ Followers WEEKLY ON THE SABBATH DAY.

Following Paul's missionary journeys we find him preaching THIS sermon BEFORE THE CONGREGATION, just as regularly as he used it as theme and argument in all diatribe, dialogue, proclamation, confession, PRAYERS, <evangelising> or Letter or any other occasion of fellowship and worship -- i.e., ANY OCCASION OF GOING TO CHURCH – any occasion of <missionary outreach>.

Now do not even try the two solitary texts the Sunday-legalists have through all the centuries of heresy and idolatry in an apostate Christianity ABUSED without a blush of SHAME OR CONSCIENCE. By now the naked stupidity of the attempt has become a BORING INSULT TO INTELLIGENCE.

So where is the pulpit implied in the passage of Scripture <<that Paul .. on the sabbath day preached from>>? There, in the Church! The pulpit was the one Paul would have USED (even were it a tree-trunk next to a water stream) "on the Sabbath" the Day TO <preach> on, not <supposedly>, but the God-instituted "SABBATH TO HEAR THE WORD OF GOD ON".

Last edited:

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

Sorry, I'm at a total loss to why you believe <that>. <That>-- what's that? <<because it sure reads to me on the first day of the week was when they were holding communion>>? You say <it reads to me> well it does not read: <<on the first day of the week was when they were holding communion>>... simply. So, sorry. You, force, me to reject what you say <it reads to> you.