Does the term unequally yoked apply only to unbelievers?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Unfortunately, as an anabaptist, if I was to find someone from my own denomination I'd probably be in a lot of trouble. They tend to be Mennonites or Amish, and if they took my buttons then I'd REALLY go all out on them. I'm 33 and I think by my age all of the good men are sold out anyway and you're left with a lot of divorced guys and not always those whose marriages ended with their wives cheating on them, and therefore they're all out of the question under Matthew 5:32.

Fluffy,

Do you attend an Anabaptist church? Or, would you be classed as Baptist in your beliefs today? Is your theology too far removed from the theology of the Southern Baptists or General Baptists?

While I'm an Aussie, I attended and graduated from an Anabaptist Seminary, Ashland Theological Seminary, Ashland OH (Arminian). It was sponsored by The Brethren Church, an Anabaptist denomination. If you want a more Calvinistic, Anabaptist denomination, there is the Grace Brethren denomination.

There was an Old Order Amish community also in Ashland.

Oz

Reactions: DuckieLady

Alvertsky

Jan 10, 2021
Corolla NC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Alvertsky,

Second Corinthians 6:14 commands: "Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?"

God gives the command for believers not to be yoked with unbelievers. That's good enough for me. The ERV translates as, "You are not the same as those who don’t believe. So don’t join yourselves to them. Good and evil don’t belong together. Light and darkness cannot share the same room."

Believers and unbelievers do not support the same spiritual value system. For an unequal yoke, it means good and evil marry. An attempt is made to marry light and darkness. It doesn't work.

I'm also of the view that there will be hurdles leading to resistance if, say,
  • A non-charismatic marries a charismatic;
  • Roman Catholic marries a Protestant;
  • A theological liberal marries an evangelical;
  • A Calvinistic Reformed marries an Arminian, etc
Oz
Comparing marriage to the yoking together of farm animals is nothing short of vulgar. I am married not yoked, but if you would rather be yoked more power to you.

As for Jesus he preached to nonbelievers including prostitutes perpetually. In fact since there were no real christans in his time nearly everyone was a nonbeliever

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I was thinking about this earlier -- and it doesn't apply to me right now because I am not married, but still thinking about it.

We know that we can't marry unbelievers or agnostics. Okay. I did that once before. Mistakes. But do you think it applies also to different denominations? Ideally, I believe it denominations should not exist at all. (Let there be no division among you...) But by definition, I know that I would be considered an Anabaptist and as much as I resent the idea of it not just being "Christian" it still exists.

In other words, is a Baptist Christian is forbidden from marrying a Catholic, for instance? Or an Apostolic from a Lutheran? How does that work? What do you think?

Hi Fluffy. Good question...

If you end up forming a loving relationship/family then i don't think it would be a problem either way...

It depends on the individuals. How accepting they are and how strict. Some people have strong beliefs in particular doctrines. Take born again for example. Some people cannot accept the other... While some people will be more apathetic

I wouldn't put up any barriers, i would just take it as it comes.
If the difference in denomination doesn't interfere with love then don't let it...

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Comparing marriage to the yoking together of farm animals is nothing short of vulgar. I am married not yoked, but if you would rather be yoked more power to you.

As for Jesus he preached to nonbelievers including prostitutes perpetually. In fact since there were no real christans in his time nearly everyone was a nonbeliever

When animals - or people - are 'yoked' it means that they work in harmony, both going in the same direction, as one not as two separate beings. And that is how a good marriage should be.

Alvertsky

Jan 10, 2021
Corolla NC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When animals - or people - are 'yoked' it means that they work in harmony, both going in the same direction, as one not as two separate beings. And that is how a good marriage should be.
So this is a good marriage
ox-yoke.jpg

Not if one values freedom

Alvertsky

Jan 10, 2021
Corolla NC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's an analogy to highlight two partners sharing the load.

Do you believe that a husband and wife should support each other?
Not with a yoke no. I have also never heard the term as applied to marriage and as far as I am concerned it's sick
Should baby cows also be yoked

Yoked means enslaved to work

Howell%20Plowing%20Match_2014-08_Linebacker%20oxen.jpg

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
yoke n.

a. A contoured crossbar having two U-shaped attachments that fit around the necks of a team of oxen or other draft animals, with a central ring for hitching the team to a cart, plow, or other load.
b. pl. yoke or yokes A pair of draft animals, such as oxen, joined by a yoke.
c. A bar used with a double harness to connect the collar of each horse to the pole of a wagon or coach.
2. A frame designed to be carried across a person's shoulders with equal loads suspended from each end.
3. Nautical A crossbar on a ship's rudder to which the steering cables are connected.
4. A clamp or vise that holds a machine part in place or controls its movement or that holds two such parts together.
5. A piece of a garment that is closely fitted, either around the neck and shoulders or at the hips, and from which an unfitted or gathered part of the garment is hung.

6. Something that connects or joins together; a bond or tie.

7. Electronics A series of two or more magnetic recording heads fastened securely together for playing or recording on more than one track simultaneously.
a. Any of various emblems of subjugation, such as a structure made of two upright spears with a third laid across them, under which conquered enemies of ancient Rome were forced to march in subjection.
b. The condition of being subjugated by or as if by a conqueror; subjugation or bondage: 14th-century Russia under the Tatar yoke; the yoke of drug addiction.
v.
yoked, yok·ing, yokes
v.tr.
1. To fit or join with a yoke.
a. To harness a draft animal to.
b. To harness (a draft animal) to a vehicle or an implement.

3. To join together; bind: partners who were yoked together for life.

4. To force into heavy labor, bondage, or subjugation.

v.intr.

To become joined.

You see there are a number of definitions including human partnerships.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
2 Corinthians 6:14
Don’t team up with those who are unbelievers. How can righteousness be a partner with wickedness? How can light live with darkness?

Alvertsky

Jan 10, 2021
Corolla NC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Corinthians 6:14
Don’t team up with those who are unbelievers. How can righteousness be a partner with wickedness? How can light live with darkness?
Don't team up with people who yoke people together

yoke n.

a. A contoured crossbar having two U-shaped attachments that fit around the necks of a team of oxen or other draft animals, with a central ring for hitching the team to a cart, plow, or other load.
c. A bar used with a double harness to connect the collar of each horse to the pole of a wagon or coach.
2. A frame designed to be carried across a person's shoulders with equal loads suspended from each end.
3. Nautical A crossbar on a ship's rudder to which the steering cables are connected.
4. A clamp or vise that holds a machine part in place or controls its movement or that holds two such parts together.
5. A piece of a garment that is closely fitted, either around the neck and shoulders or at the hips, and from which an unfitted or gathered part of the garment is hung.

7. Electronics A series of two or more magnetic recording heads fastened securely together for playing or recording on more than one track simultaneously.
a. Any of various emblems of subjugation, such as a structure made of two upright spears with a third laid across them, under which conquered enemies of ancient Rome were forced to march in subjection.
b. The condition of being subjugated by or as if by a conqueror; subjugation or bondage: 14th-century Russia under the Tatar yoke; the yoke of drug addiction.
v.
yoked, yok·ing, yokes
v.tr.

v.intr.

To become joined.

Yoked is tortured

05113_cr5.jpg

yoke n.

v.
yoked, yok·ing, yokes
v.tr.

v.intr.

To become joined.

Yoked means tortured

70fe143e6a18ca6fca1c351c0fabea87--medieval-fair-school-s.jpg

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
transcendiary.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But do you think it applies also to different denominations?
From a practical standpoint, different denominations can intermarry if their views are similar enough.
Vineyard, Assembly of God & Foursquare are all very similar to each other. Other believers who do not believe that the "sign" gifts are for today are offended at that practice (and will be offended by those who practice such).

A Baptist and a Nazarene will likely get along just fine.
Ideally, I believe it denominations should not exist at all.
Paul makes a solid case for denominations in 1 Corinthians 12:12-26.

If there were no denominations, we would all be forced to agree on a single denomination.

(FYI, did you know that every part of your body, though they have vastly different functions, shares the same DNA...?
full
)

Alvertsky

Jan 10, 2021
Corolla NC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are being deliberately obtuse. As the dictionary definition shows it does have other meanings.
And one meaning of yoked was what was done to control slaves, so in my opinion yoked is a morbid term

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
transcendiary.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And one meaning of yoked was what was done to control slaves, so in my opinion yoked is a morbid term
In all of the above uses, "yoked" is figurative.

Jesus said,
"Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me,

for I am gentle and lowly in heart,
and you will find rest for your souls.
For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30 NKJV
Takin' the Easy Way, 2nd Chapter of Acts (1983)