Does the term unequally yoked apply only to unbelievers?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you the one without sin?

No. I'm not the one asking irrelevant questions either, LoL.
Would you have stoned the prostitute? Or showed her your love and compassion? As the Son of God taught?

Sir, you are teaching that Christians should marry prostitutes. Is this something you still believe, because the above two questions are deflecting.

Reactions: DuckieLady

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Would you have stoned the prostitute? Or showed her your love and compassion? As the Son of God taught?

You can love someone without marrying them. Jesus showed her compassion and mercy. He didn't take her to the altar afterwards...

Edit: OK I guess technically he did in a heaven sense, but not in a human way.

Alvertsky

Jan 10, 2021
Corolla NC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Unfortunately, as an anabaptist, if I was to find someone from my own denomination I'd probably be in a lot of trouble. They tend to be Mennonites or Amish, and if they took my buttons then I'd REALLY go all out on them. I'm 33 and I think by my age all of the good men are sold out anyway and you're left with a lot of divorced guys and not always those whose marriages ended with their wives cheating on them, and therefore they're all out of the question under Matthew 5:32.
Religions were formed by men, not Jesus. And Jesus cared no to who he preached, rich, poor, old, young, jew or gentile

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Unfortunately, as an anabaptist, if I was to find someone from my own denomination I'd probably be in a lot of trouble. They tend to be Mennonites or Amish, and if they took my buttons then I'd REALLY go all out on them. I'm 33 and I think by my age all of the good men are sold out anyway and you're left with a lot of divorced guys and not always those whose marriages ended with their wives cheating on them, and therefore they're all out of the question under Matthew 5:32.

Well, I feel for you, but what I would advise is learning how to be happy as a single woman. Then, if the Lord leads you to someone and him to you, you will be in a position of not necessarily needing him but just wanting to be with him : )

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
But do you think it applies also to different denominations?
If a denomination is actually False Christianity or is a heterodox cult, then certainly there would be an unequal yoke. Which must be avoided. Which means that you should know what the true Gospel and true Bible doctrine are.

Alvertsky

Jan 10, 2021
Corolla NC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. I'm not the one asking irrelevant questions either, LoL.

Sir, you are teaching that Christians should marry prostitutes. Is this something you still believe, because the above two questions are deflecting.
Nah, I repeated the words of Jesus Christ, they were rejected then by many as they are rejected today by many.

Jesus Forgives an Adulterous Woman - John 8:1-30 - Bible Study (trusting-in-jesus.com)

"Jesus Forgives
An Adulterous Woman"
John 8:1-30 Bible Study

iStock_000003132759XSmall.jpg

John 8:1-30,

VERSE 1-2: "but Jesus went to the Mount of Olives. Early in the morning he came again to the temple. All the people came to him, and he sat down and taught them."

So, with hardly a break from His grueling schedule, Jesus was back in the temple early in the morning; all the people were coming, and He was continuing to teach.

VERSE 3- 5: "The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery, and placing her in the midst they said to him, "Teacher, this woman has been caught in the act of adultery. Now in the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. So what do you say?"

Although the scribes and Pharisees were not wrongly accusing this adulterous woman, their purpose was not to justify the law, if so they would have also brought the man. He had broken the law just as much she had. The law required that both be stoned to death, (Lev. 20:10).

They were only using the woman as a trap, hoping to trick Jesus. The Romans did not permit the Jews to carry out executions, so:

If He had ordered her stoned, they would have reported Him to the Romans.

If He had said she should not be stoned they would accuse Him of breaking Moses' law.

VERSE 6: "This they said to test him, that they might have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground."

We are not told what, if anything, Jesus wrote in the dust with His finger. Some see a connection to when God wrote the Ten Commandments, but there are no scriptures to substantiate this view.

There is no reason to debate what He may have written, or to think it was mistakenly left out of this Scripture.

VERSE 7: "And as they continued to ask him, he stood up and said to them, "Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her."

This is a tremendous statement about being judgmental toward not only the adulterous woman but all sinners. Jesus said that only the sinless were worthy of casting the first stone.

While we as Christians cannot condone sin we are not to be so quick to pass judgment, that is God's role, not ours. We are to pray, offer guidance, and show compassion. This is not always easy but is an example of how the Church is supposed to operate.

VERSES 8-9: "And once more he bent down and wrote on the ground. But when they heard it, they went away one by one, beginning with the older ones, and Jesus was left alone with the woman standing before him."

So, with only the adulterous woman standing before Him, Jesus once again seemed to write something on the ground, and again we are not told what it may have been.

When Jesus said that only the ones without sin were worthy to cast the first stone at the adulterous woman, they all went away, one by one, (beginning with the older ones).

Don't you think they all knew they were in the wrong and felt convicted by the Words and presence of Jesus? Perhaps in the same way the temple guards in Chapter seven had said, "No man ever spoke like this before."

Do you think the older men were wiser in Scripture, or possibly more aware of their sins than the younger? Perhaps both?

VERSES 10-11: Jesus stood up and said to her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?" She said, "No one, Lord." And Jesus said, "Neither do I condemn you; go, and from now on sin no more."

This is an example of how Jesus forgives all sin. He did not condemn the adulterous woman to death; nor did he say that since He had come her adulterous deed was no longer a sin.

On the contrary, He openly revealed her sin when He told her to, "Go, and sin no more."

Based upon the Law of God, this woman had committed a sin that required the death sentence. However, Jesus, who was also God, had the authority to forgive this woman's sin, which He did.

Still, the death sentence for this woman was a Commandment of God that had to be carried out, and not even Jesus could break the Commandments.

So, some think only a few days later, Jesus died in her place on the cross fulfilling the requirements of the Law on her behalf.

The adulterous woman's sin was forgiven by Almighty God, never to be remembered again. (Complete forgiveness and eternal life with Him). What a wonderful plan and Savior!

Jesus not only died for the sins of this woman. Anyone who will accept Him as their Savior can receive complete forgiveness and eternal life. Like the adulterous woman, His death on the cross fulfilled the Law for all who will Follow Him.

Samuel L. Mills

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I get where you're coming from @Alvertsky , but forgiving someone for one sin is different from spending every single day of your life together, having babies and raising your children with someone with no Biblical foundation, nothing really preventing them from committing adultery, or looking online to commit adultery through a screen. (Matthew 5:28)

It becomes a lopsided marriage, and it isn't fun going to church alone and spending your entire life with Jesus alone. That's the case whether you become single forever or married to an unbeliever that doesn't want any part of it. And worse, they start to hate every part of Jesus that's in you and it begins to wear you down and break off your relationship with Christ.

As it says in 1 Corinthians 15:33, "Do not be misled: "Bad company corrupts good character."

Or in Psalm 1...

Blessed is the one
who does not walk in step with the wicked
or stand in the way that sinners take
or sit in the company of mockers,
but whose delight is in the law of the Lord,
and who meditates on his law day and night.

If he meant that just for platonic relationships, I am certain he meant it more for marriage. The values are different too, and it just leads to a lot of pain. A LOT of pain and suffering. The Bible keeps our hearts in mind, too.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I feel for you, but what I would advise is learning how to be happy as a single woman. Then, if the Lord leads you to someone and him to you, you will be in a position of not necessarily needing him but just wanting to be with him : )

I read the book And She Lived Happily Ever After: Finding Fulfillment as a Single Woman by Skip McDonald, and as sad as that probably sounds, it was pretty helpful. I would recommend it. It still sucks though (the burden, not the book)

Alvertsky

Jan 10, 2021
Corolla NC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I get where you're coming from @Alvertsky , but forgiving someone for one sin is different from spending every single day of your life together, having babies and raising your children with someone with no Biblical foundation, nothing really preventing them from committing adultery, or looking online to commit adultery through a screen. (Matthew 5:28)

It becomes a lopsided marriage, and it isn't fun going to church alone and spending your entire life with Jesus alone. That's the case whether you become single forever or married to an unbeliever that doesn't want any part of it. And worse, they start to hate every part of Jesus that's in you and it begins to wear you down and break off your relationship with Christ.

As it says in 1 Corinthians 15:33, "Do not be misled: "Bad company corrupts good character."

Or in Psalm 1...

Blessed is the one
who does not walk in step with the wicked
or stand in the way that sinners take
or sit in the company of mockers,
but whose delight is in the law of the Lord,
and who meditates on his law day and night.

If he meant that just for platonic relationships, I am certain he meant it more for marriage. The values are different too, and it just leads to a lot of pain. A LOT of pain and suffering. The Bible keeps our hearts in mind, too.
Christ has forgiven you, the question now is can you forgive yourself.

Yesterday don't matter, if it's gone.

Remember when one door closes another opens and that when you say goodbye to the past the future begins anew

Last edited:

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I was thinking about this earlier -- and it doesn't apply to me right now because I am not married, but still thinking about it.

We know that we can't marry unbelievers or agnostics. Okay. I did that once before. Mistakes. But do you think it applies also to different denominations? Ideally, I believe it denominations should not exist at all. (Let there be no division among you...) But by definition, I know that I would be considered an Anabaptist and as much as I resent the idea of it not just being "Christian" it still exists.

In other words, is a Baptist Christian is forbidden from marrying a Catholic, for instance? Or an Apostolic from a Lutheran? How does that work? What do you think?
one walks the narrow track, the other the wide road. How is it possible to harmoniously pull together?

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nah, I repeated the words of Jesus Christ, they were rejected then by many as they are rejected today by many.

Jesus Forgives an Adulterous Woman - John 8:1-30 - Bible Study (trusting-in-jesus.com)

Oh brother. :rolleyes: Sir, this is just posting nine miles of Bible study to DEFLECT again. No one is arguing with anything in that study; they are arguing with your statement that Christians should MARRY practicing prostitutes.

You are just trolling apparently. Congratulations, I fell for interacting seriously with another new "Christian" member, LoL. But good look on being a member for long with that business. Someone's gonna give you the hook.

God bless,
Hidden In Him

Alvertsky

Jan 10, 2021
Corolla NC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh brother. :rolleyes: Sir, this is just posting nine miles of Bible study to DEFLECT again. No one is arguing with anything in that study; they are arguing with your statement that Christians should MARRY practicing prostitutes.

You are just trolling apparently. Congratulations, I fell for interacting seriously with another new "Christian" member, LoL. But good look on being a member for long with that business. Someone's gonna give you the hook.

God bless,
Hidden In Him
One can not be a follower of Christ if they do not believe in repentance.

Unless you are the one without sin.

1. Luke 15:4-7 “If a man has a hundred sheep and one of them gets lost, what will he do? Won’t he leave the ninety-nine others in the wilderness and go to search for the one that is lost until he finds it? And when he has found it, he will joyfully carry it home on his shoulders. When he arrives, he will call together his friends and neighbors, saying, ‘Rejoice with me because I have found my lost sheep. In the same way, there is more joy in heaven over one lost sinner who repents and returns to God than over ninety-nine others who are righteous and haven’t strayed away!”

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One can not be a follower of Christ if they do not believe in repentance.

Unless you are the one without sin.

1. Luke 15:4-7 “If a man has a hundred sheep and one of them gets lost, what will he do? Won’t he leave the ninety-nine others in the wilderness and go to search for the one that is lost until he finds it? And when he has found it, he will joyfully carry it home on his shoulders. When he arrives, he will call together his friends and neighbors, saying, ‘Rejoice with me because I have found my lost sheep. In the same way, there is more joy in heaven over one lost sinner who repents and returns to God than over ninety-nine others who are righteous and haven’t strayed away!”

That doesn't have anything to do with it.

At all.

Alvertsky

Jan 10, 2021
Corolla NC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That doesn't have anything to do with it.

At all.
I was not responding to you, but again

Remember when one door closes another opens and that when you say goodbye to the past the future begins anew

forget-past-picture-quotes-road-Favim.com-1143409.jpg

Last edited:

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was not responding to you, but again

Ah, sorry for the misunderstanding. Well, I don't want to talk too much about personal relationships publicly, but my hands are pretty clean, so I'm good with that part. :):)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I guess this now has absolutely nothing to do with the OP.

But incidentally the book of Hosea is kind of relevant: the way Gomer behaved and the prophet's instruction from the Lord to take her back. So in theory marrying an ex-prostitute might be doable doctrinally, but in any case the huge resources of humbling grace and humility that would be needed are relevant as a spiritual principle.

Alvertsky

Jan 10, 2021
Corolla NC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah, sorry for the misunderstanding. Well, I don't want to talk too much about personal relationships publicly, but my hands are pretty clean, so I'm good with that part. :):)
If you look closely enough you will see the the light, if you get into the picture, you will feel it's warmth.
JFP-LRW-103.jpg

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess this now has absolutely nothing to do with the OP.

But incidentally the book of Hosea is kind of relevant: the way Gomer behaved and the prophet's instruction from the Lord to take her back. So in theory marrying an ex-prostitute might be doable doctrinally, but in any case the huge resources of humbling grace and humility that would be needed are relevant as a spiritual principle.

Aware of it. Was waiting to see if this was his support before responding to it. He simply evaded.

Pretty sure I know who this is, and if so, ignoring his "arguments" altogether is likely the best move, IMO.