Don’t Be Like The Five Foolish Virgins = Matthew 25;1-5

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The only thing smart about the other girls was their diligence to bring along
a good supply of fuel for their lanterns; whereas urging the foolish girls to
abandon their positions-- knowing they could miss the event --was not a
good idea.

Personally I think too much emphasis is placed upon the oil and not enough
upon watching for the groom's arrival. It was essential to be on hand so's to
be allowed entrance to the event before the opportunity was lost. The oil is
trivial in comparison.
_
A good tye in here would be the parable of the sower as well; many see the oil as identy of the holy spirit; the focus of those wise were fed the spirit but the focus of the others it died out; as though they needed to run back and learn the truth of the old testsment that Jeuss was the one promised to come. Only to come back an the “ark” was closed. Cause there was a limited time 40 years. (Maybe could include those who professed we did this and that and this for you), but it was about faith in him not there works, of such a way.

This is just an off the cuff reply as reading your post which yes it was important to be watching and being prepared, webster.

I could be wrong just wanted to share.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
good idea.

trivial in comparison.
_
The foolish did have the basic oil verse 8 however it was the custom to carry reserves.

They failed to add to their knowledge 2 Pet 1:5-9

For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love.

If they were distracted they weren't doing this.

F2F

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

good idea.

trivial in comparison.
_
Could this be the our advice?

1 Thessalonians 5:6
5 You are all children of the light and children of the day. We do not belong to the night or to the darkness. 6 So then, let us not be like others, who are asleep, but let us be awake and sober. 7 For those who sleep, sleep at night, and those who get drunk, get drunk at night.

The warning here is rather severe when we logically think about.

All his servants slept. All of us are distracted with various pursuits and pleasures.

See the issue.... “Foolish said to wise”

It's so foolish to believe that character can be transferred! It's too late!

Rev 22:10-12

10 And he said to me, “Do not seal up the words of the prophecy of this book, for the time is near. 11 Let the evildoer still do evil, and the filthy still be filthy, and the righteous still do right, and the holy still be holy.” 12 “Behold, I am coming soon, bringing my recompense with me, to repay each one for what he has done.

We can't say we were never warned.

F2F

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear Ronald Nolette,
You are referring to verses which apply to a believer who has received both the Early and Latter Rains. Both Rains are required to be "converted" and eternally saved.

Believers in the church who have only been given the Early Rain (called out believers) will remain spiritually blind. Paul typed this truth by his blindness when he received the Early Rain on the Damascus Road. Because a new believer will remain spiritually blind, they will fall for Satan's deceptions which he teaches in his "another gospel". This false gospel mixes works with faith and teaches a doctrine of free will which elevates the believer to be equal with God. When a believer accepts Satan's false gospel, they will become "worse than the first"; a Man of Sin.

Christ teaches this truth here:

Mat 12:43 When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest, and findeth none. 44 Then he saith, I will return into my house from whence I came out; and when he is come, he findeth it empty, swept, and garnished. 45 Then goeth he, and taketh with himself SEVEN other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter in and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first. Even so shall it be also unto this wicked generation.

The spiritual symbol of an unclean spirit represents a spirit which teaches Satan's false truth through lies and deceptions.

Since a new believer remains spiritually blind (Mark 8:21-25) after receiving the Early Rain of the Spirit (the Holy Spirit of Promise, Eph 1:13-14), they cannot replace their worldly false beliefs with the truth of Christ. ONE unclean spirit leaves but comes back with SEVEN more. The number "seven" represents perfection. In this case, the number seven represents the perfection of Satan's lies/deceptions which come to a believer by the indwelling of the spirit of anti-Christ. Now, instead of ONE unclean spirit within the believer, they now have EIGHT. The number eight is a spiritual symbol which represents a new spiritual condition. In this case, the new spiritual condition is worse than the first.

This "worse than the first" spiritual condition causes the believer to become a False Prophet, a Man of Sin, a Minister of Satan and a Seven Headed Beast with Ten Horns & Crowns.

Joe
Well as the unclean spirit Jesus was symbolizing representing the nation of Israel and not a person.

But I would appreciate your definition of this early and latter rain theory of yours.

YOu seem to say that a new believer is unsaved until something else happens. what is this latter rain?

• Love
Reactions: GRACE ambassador

FaithWillDo

Mar 1, 2023
Fort Collins, CO, USA
www.greatmysteryofchrist.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well as the unclean spirit Jesus was symbolizing representing the nation of Israel and not a person.

But I would appreciate your definition of this early and latter rain theory of yours.

YOu seem to say that a new believer is unsaved until something else happens. what is this latter rain?
Dear Ronald Nolette,
The Early Rain is the earnest of the Holy Spirit. It is a "down payment". It is also called the Holy Spirit of Promise:

Eph 1:13-14 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that Holy Spirit of Promise, 14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance UNTIL the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

The full amount of the Spirit (Latter Rain) is given when Christ returns later for those who are "waiting" for him (marriage analogy applies). The Latter Rain is our inheritance and is when an Elect believer is redeemed. The "purchased possession" are the Elect who Christ purchased with His blood. After the Elect are "redeemed", they become a new creation; a child of God.

When Christ comes to an unbeliever and gives them the Early Rain, the Spirit will give the person a "measure of faith". Without the Early Rain, mankind will only reject Christ.

Rom 3:10 As it is written, there is none righteous, no, not one: 11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.

But with the Early Rain, no man can reject Him. They will ONLY call Him "Lord":

1Cor 12:3 Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Spirit.

Giving a person the Early Rain is how Christ calls a person out from the world. Christ causes it to happen - the person does not. The apostate church teaches that an unbeliever must make a "free will" decision to call Jesus "Lord" but this is not true. A person will only call Jesus "Lord" because Christ came to them and gave them the Early Rain. This event is spiritual and will be concealed from their knowledge. From the new believer's point of view, they believe that they made a free will decision but they did not. At this point, the new believer will enter the church but since they remain spiritually blind, Christ will remain concealed from them. They will only see Him "carnally".

The entire Nation of Israel was "called out". Their Red Sea baptism was a "type" for the Early Rain.

1Cor 10:1 Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea; 2 And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea; 3 And did all eat the same spiritual meat; 4 And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.

Water is a spiritual symbol which represents the Holy Spirit. That is why the Nation of Israel "passed through the sea" and why new Gentile believers are baptized in water. Both are physical symbols which foreshadow their spiritual fulfillment (Latter Rain) which will come later. However, the Latter Rain is ONLY given to the "Wise Virgins" (the Elect). The cloud that followed the nation represents the Nation's spiritual blindness - it concealed them from "seeing" Christ.

Because the Jewish Nation had already been called out and had (in "type") received the Early Rain, the Jewish Elect only needed to receive the Latter Rain for their salvation. But since the Nation was not faithful and were following Satan's "crooked way", it was necessary to send a person to them in the spirit of Elijah. John the Baptist fulfilled this role. He made the call for the nation to repent from their works. Those who responded to the call of repentance made the pathway "straight" for Christ to come to them a second time. The second time occurred on the Day of Pentecost for the 120 Jewish Elect who responded to John's call of repentance. This was their moment of salvation and conversion.

The Gentiles will follow the same pathway to salvation that the Jewish Elect had to travel. They must first be given the Early Rain and be called out. They will then "fall away" and follow Satan's crooked way of works. For the fallen away Elect, Christ will sent a converted Elect believer to them in the spirit of Elijah to make the call of repentance to them. Like the Jewish Elect, they will repent and the pathway for Christ's second coming will be made straight. When Christ returns, He will pour out the Latter Rain and convert them.

The apostate church is so spiritually blind that they believe that the Early Rain they were given is the same baptism which the Jewish Elect received on the Day of Pentecost. It is not.

The Early and Latter Rain pathway is taught frequently in scripture but only a "few" can see it.

The story of the blind man in Mark 8:21-25 teaches when a person has their spiritual blindness healed. For that reason, Christ heals the blind man twice.

The story of the woman taken in adultery teaches when a person comes out from being under the Law. For that reason, Christ writes in the earth twice. It is only after the second time do the Pharisees drop their stones (the Law) and leave.

Paul's conversion also teaches the Early and Latter Rain. Paul received the Early Rain on the Damascus Road. Paul had no intention of becoming a Christian but all that changed suddenly when Christ came to His temple (Paul). Paul then fell to His knees and called Jesus "Lord". But Paul could only hear a voice and did not know who was speaking to him. Like the Jewish Nation, Christ remained concealed from Paul. Paul was made blind to represent his spiritual blindness and then had to be "led by the hand" (blind leading the blind) into Damascus. Paul remained in Damascus for three days (three is a symbol for a spiritual process). During His three days, Paul remained blind and was unable to eat or drink. In other words, Paul could not eat the bread of Christ or drink the New Wine. The spiritual process Paul was going through made him "worse than the first"; a Man of Sin.

After the three days were fulfilled, things began to change for Paul. He began to pray (represents his repentance). Ananias (type for Christ) then travelled to Paul on "Straight Street". This confirms Paul's repentance. When Ananias arrived, the scales fell off Paul eyes and he was baptized in the water (represents him receiving the Latter Rain). Paul was then told to eat "meat". This is the Marriage Supper of the Lamb when Christ begins feeding His truth to an newly born child of God.

There are many more examples of the Early and Latter Rain in scripture. The Early and Latter Rain is shown in "type" and is rarely called by those terms. The teachings are also presented "here a little and there a little". It is a very great mystery of how Christ builds His church:

Eph 5:32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

But James does use the Early and Latter Rain terms:

Jam 5:7 Be patient therefore, brethren, unto the coming of the Lord. Behold, the husbandman waiteth for the precious fruit of the earth, and hath long patience for it, until he receives the EARLY and LATTER RAIN. 8 Be ye also patient; stablish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh.

Believers who have only received the Early Rain must be "patient" for the Lord to return to them. Christ will only appear to them after they have received both the Early and Latter Rain because that is when the scales will fall off their eyes.

Joe

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don’t Be Like The Five Foolish Virgins = Matthew 25;1-5

1) They Took Their Lamps But No Oil. This is like a Christian not reading the Bible or praying to GOD.

Matthew 25;1-5

Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom. And five of them were wise, and five were foolish. They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them: But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.

2) When Told The Bridegroom Was Coming, They Left To Go Shopping: This is like a Christian getting caught up in the secular world and not watching for Jesus’s return.

Matthew 25:6-10

And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him. Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps. And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out. But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves. And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.

Matthew 25:11-13

Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us. But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not. Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.

II Peter 3:10-13

But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness; Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of GOD, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? Nevertheless we, according to His promise, look for New heavens and a New earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

AMEN
This is a tough passage for me but I like how you relate the oil to bible reading and prayer.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

There are any number of ways to interpret the parable of the ten maidens
and their lamps; but according to Matt 13:11 the correct interpretation is a
privilege.
_
The imagery of the oil is most definitely the Word of God in action and the idea of adding more oil is a faith which is growing in the knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ.

The idea of "trimming their lamps" means “to put in proper order” which again highlights the type of mind which is set on having sufficient oil to wait on their Lord.

Ultimately we are left with is an image of a bride who has made herself ready as per Rev 19:7-8, and that by her submission to the bridegroom is responsible to her beauty as expressed in Eph 5:25-27

25 Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, 26 that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, (OIL) 27 so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and blameless.

F2F

Last edited:

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It's commonly supposed that the five unwise girls were stupid for not
bringing along enough oil for their light sources. That may be true, but I
rather suspect that their stupidity was scarcely related to the oil and mostly
related to abandoning their posts.
I understand that this makes sense, I just don't have the wisdom to understand it.

It's like there's a door in my mind, and I only have experience enough to enter it one way.

Thank you for sharing, it is definitely food for thought!

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The imagery of the oil yada, yada, yada, yada.

I rather suspect that all new arrivals in Heaven are whisked off to a sort of Bible
camp where all their mistakes get corrected and all the blanks filled in of the
questions for which they had no answer.

At that time we'll discover whose interpretations of Jesus' parables were
privileged per Matt 13:11 and whose were fabricated. In the meantime:

Party on dudes;
And be excellent to each other.

Bill and Ted, 1989
_

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

I rather suspect that all new arrivals in Heaven are whisked off to a sort of Bible
camp where all their mistakes get corrected and all the blanks filled in of the
questions for which they had no answer.

At that time we'll discover whose interpretations of Jesus' parables were
privileged per Matt 13:11 and whose were fabricated. In the meantime:

Party on dudes;
And be excellent to each other.

Bill and Ted, 1989
_
If you change my posts does that give me permission to change yours?

Firstly, you will be disapointed to find out no one is going to Heaven....unless you are a JW, apparently!

The Parable of the Sower is the Key to unlocking all parables...take note and understand how Christ interprets that parable will help you unlock all the parables.

F2F

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2) When Told The Bridegroom Was Coming, They Left To Go Shopping: This is like a Christian getting caught up in the secular world and not watching for Jesus’s return.
I’d say the opposite in don’t be like the wise saying there is NOT enough for you and me. They are the ones who told them to go to those who buy and sell. Interesting turn of events to me is …can’t be ignored in my opinion…Jesus Christ set with the woman by the well. Where had his disciples gone? The word tells us. They had went to the market to buy meat. When they return and don’t ask him why He speaks with the woman but instead “has anyone given him meat?” Because Jesus tells them His meat comes from the Father. “I have meat you know not of.”

A few things that stands out about his being with the woman by the well. One is she didn’t ask for Living water…but He told her if she would have asked Him…”I would have given unto you.” …to me a scorn against those husbandmen(those wise), a slap to the face of their hypocrisy when he tells the woman to go call her husbands…what that says to me …not a single one of those wise men have ever cared for you. If you would have asked Me…I would not say no there is not enough, I would have given to you. I don’t think it was about her literal husbands…but His showing no one had bothered to offer her Life but Christ does. In “you are right in saying you have no husband, and the one you have now is not your husband.” …go in and tell your husbands” she runs in …the first thing she tells them all “this man told me everything I ever did. It is Him! The One we have waited for. the bridegroom is HERE!”

Second from His being by the well with the woman is His disciples had no idea of His meat …but instead went to buy meat in the market. YET Christ gives them Light. There is a verse where to me…where the wise answer was “no” “we can’t give unto you. It is too late. The bridegroom comes, get your own oil because there is not enough for us both, not enough for you AND me.” How ironic Jesus Christ spoke to the woman about two wells where one dries up (and will leave you thirsty) for it wasn’t deep and the water runs out…the other (Well) springs forth with never ending Living water. Where one will never thirst again. So deep is this Well that it never runs dry or out of Living Water …He told Her… “I would have given you of this Living water” …when the wise answer is “no” …Jesus Christ Christ says to her (Imo) you won’t get a no from Me…but “I WILL give you Light.” She asks Him …but Jacob dug this well. Are you Greater than Jacob (going off memory I hope that is right). Which well are the wise in the parable speaking of? Consider the two Jesus spoke of. If they are so wise and filled with the Holy Spirit …wouldn’t they be speaking of the same “well” that He spoke of to the woman? Why “there is not enough?” Think about it.

Third we totally forget let him who is wise become a fool, for he does not yet know what he ought to know. Charity. I never understand how we applaud their lack of it. Fearing there is not enough for them both, not enough for you and me. Which well are they speaking of? Which light? Which husbandmen? Christ never once said “no, there is not enough for us both. There is not enough for you and me.” He feeds the Hungry. Gives drink to those thirsty. And Light to those who sit in darkness.

I get that I can’t convince anyone that we may have it backwards. But is it by accident that He connects the ten virgins which ALL slept with whom when five awake and see their lights have gone out ask for help with “AWAKE YOU WHO SLEEP” Awake unto righteousness? What is awaking unto righteousness except to be as He is who thinks more on the things of others than on his own things …then we ignore “No. least there be not enough for us both, not enough for you and me.” Awake unto righteousness… He who gives to those without “rejected” and poor. Do we say the Will of God is “there is not enough for you and me…go to the market to get some meat…while He sits by the well with the outcast woman who doesn’t have any husbands to give unto her Light.
“How many husbands do you have.”
“I don’t have a husband Lord.”
”you said right, you don’t have a husband.”
“Do. you know who I am?” “Do you know who My Father is?” … “I am about to show them who My Father is. My Father is the True Husbandman of His vineyard. And I am the Vine.” (Or that is how I see that conversation continuing)…go call those who think they are wise. Tell them “It is Him. Whom we have waited for (the bridegroom is Here!) and The bridegrooms disciples are at the market buying meat. :eek: Oh dear!! Kind of blows apart our theology about the scumbags off at the market when The bridegroom comes. Because HE does not leave them instead those are His disciples and whom He called to be His disciples…those off at the market to buy meat. Having mercy …pity…long-suffering on their “we just went to buy meat at the market. What? Who came and gave Him meat?” OR with the woman with the alabaster box of precious ointment that could have been sold (at the market)and the money given to feed the poor… they asked “what is with this waste.” When she anointed HIS head with it instead. At least they didn’t say “do waste that precious oil. There is not enough of it to go around.” Which kind of they did.
14 Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.
15 ¶ See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise,
16 Redeeming the time, because the days are evil.
17 ¶ Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.

Lastly ..to me (Imo)
How we have it backwards is the foolish are in need. Yes they are foolish. Lacking. Poor. Without. Dumb. Unprepared. Blind too because their lights have gone dim or out. (Don forget who gives sight to the blind) (or who makes the dumb speak)

It is backwards (again just an opinion) in who is called to “AWAKEN to Righteousness!” “Wake up you who sleep!” They ALL slept. If we want to keep saying the ones with the oil, the ones prepared are the ones filled with the Holy Spirit, those who have Light and Oil. Then let’s call them wise virgins the “First Resurrection” “the First Fruits” …then are those awakened unto Righteousness not the ones called unto The Righteousness to give to those who lack, are poor, and are blind? If we want to continue to call the five wise virgins the blessed ones…called to bless others that curse them. then to me the more weight is put on them…knowing the goodness (tasted) of Christ they should be the ones to give His goodness …not those foolish and blind. Whom we criticize for their ignorance. God forgives ignorance. (Or at least that is what I read.) What He doesn’t forgive is speaking blasphemy against the Holy Spirit in saying there is a shortage of it, and it runs out of is to be coveted in there is not enough Holy Spirit for both; you and me. Or in saying to be awakened unto righteousness is seeing your brother without, has a need and going away without giving your brother what is needful. To know to do good but doesn’t do it…to him it is a sin.

I fear we are so certain of our theology of the parable. That we Will completely ignore whom Christ is and claim whatever condemns the “ignorant” in the parable and praise those “wise” speaking of a well that they fully fear dries up for a shortage of water…oil…fruit…Light. So they grasp what is theirs(fearing this oils failure to supply) and ignore the lack or need of those who voice “I am without.” “We are those who sit in the shadow of darkness” “will you give unto us some of your Light?”

“NO.”

If we want to continue on with that condemnation of this ignorant and applauding the wise who fear there will not be enough… then there is a chance we are the ignorant ourselves. Those condemned because everyone wants to be those fearful wise virgins or hold on to theirs out of fear there being not enough. Yea, let’s go with that.

Last edited:

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Parable of the Sower is the Key to unlocking all parables...take note and
understand how Christ interprets that parable will help you unlock all the parables.

If I were confident that you are among the privileged per Matt 13:11 then I
might have cause to respect your advice as that of a valid spiritual
counselor.
_

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear Ronald Nolette,
The Five Foolish Virgins had oil in their lamps when they first went out to meet the Bridegroom. This oil (Holy Spirit as you said) is the Early Rain (Holy Spirit of Promise, Eph 1:13-14) a person receives when they are called out from the world and when they enter the church. Only the Elect are given the extra oil in flasks so that that don't have to "turn back". This extra oil in flasks represents the Latter Rain.

A believer's supposed "free will" plays no part in why the Five Foolish Virgins have to turn back. They simply were not chosen and were not given the Latter Rain by Christ.

The Marriage to the Lamb occurs after an Elect believer is given the Latter Rain and is saved. The marriage ceremony happens within the lifetime of each Elect believer. The Marriage Supper of the Lamb (typed by the Lord's Supper, communion) follows the ceremony because the new bride (child of God) will be given spiritual vision (eyes that can see). The supper takes place when Christ feeds His bride the truth of His Word (milk, bread, meat and new wine). A carnally minded believer (Early Rain only) cannot consume this supper because they are spiritually blind.

Joe
We have to remember though when Jesus Christ gave unto them the parable. in OT it says “My people perish for a lack of knowledge” to me that is a lack in the knowledge of Christ that makes you not useless nor unfruitful.

When Jesus Christ stood before them giving the parable … of those wise and those foolish. Was He not about to turn it upside down in “He takes the foolish things to confound the wise.” Can we deny this as what actually happened in His disciples went to the market to buy meat from those who sell? We talk about how He choose lowly fishermen and a tax collector, those weak and the least likely to be called. Those who He said “I have meat you know not of.” When I read the parable the wise had flasks of oil and the foolish brought no oil with them, their lamps were going out. The prudent said “No, there will not be enough for us and you (too);go instead to the dealers and buy some for yourselves.”

Curious How many Christian’s here would admit they also would tell someone who says their lamp is going out, and when asked to give they would say “no. I can’t give unto you because then there won’t be enough for me.”?

God does say something simalar in
Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:
18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.
19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

And Jesus Christ counseled similar to that of His Father in “I say unto you, go make friends with the unrighteous mammon so that when it failsthey will receive you into eternal habitations. (Behold a set before you an open door no man can shut.)

I can see the wise then in telling them to go into the market…but if I understood correctly it is our assumption to destroy them and to not save them. When God and Jesus sent them to that which will fail…it was for their being able to learn and be taught what does not fail. Not to condemn them but to save them. To me this lines up with being wise but still yet not knowing what you ought to know…the counsel “become a fool” that you will know what you ought to know. Every one of us have gone to the market to buy from those who sell what fails…? No? Again, His disciples went to the market to buy meat ..they kept asking several times about how to feed such a crowd. Checking pockets for change. So confused where to go buy. Did they not also have to learn or be taught that meat, that water …it will fail. Did He takenthe foolish things to confound the wise? The wise who as many lords but no gods…when their brethren returns from the market “so that when it fails” knock …and those wise say from inside “the door is now shut.” What a game. Those going away to be taught the unrighteous mammon fails…going to be tried by fire …not received as Jesus Christ said that they may receive you into eternal habitations …not as a servant but above a servant, a Son…but now they shut you out of the kingdom of God. As they did Him also. He suffered without. He takes the poor, the despised, the weak, those rejected? For “I come not to save the righteous but sinners. I come to save those who are sick and in need of a physician.”

“I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.”

We condemn their being sent unto the market to buy from those who sell …making friends with the unrighteous mammon so that when it fails… as Gods hatred for the foolish when He said whom God loves, He corrects. What is “tried in the fire” if not learning or taught what does fail? His disciples to me had to learn or be taught in one instance they’re returning over and over again to buy, or prepare, or have confidence in supply from the market—but Jesus Christ was showing them another way. Crazy the disciples grew to telling a beggar “gold and silver we have none. But what we do have, we give unto you. Stand up and walk!.” (Paraphrasing)

Last edited:

FaithWillDo

Mar 1, 2023
Fort Collins, CO, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We condemn their being sent unto the market to buy from those who sell …
Dear VictoryinJesus,
The Word of God is written in the spiritual language of Christ. To understand scripture, a person must understand it "spiritually". Christ said to understand the spiritual way, one must have "ears that can hear" and "eyes that can see".

Paul made this statement:

1Cor 3:1 And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ. 2 I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.

The carnal mind understands (sees) Christ in a literal and outward way. This is the way mankind sees Christ and the way believers who are under the Old Covenant see Him.

The spiritual mind understands Christ in a spiritual and inward way. Only believers who are converted and who are under the New Covenant will see Christ in this manner.

In the spiritual language of Christ, Christ teaches us by spiritual symbols in parables (fictional stories), types (actual events) and by analogies. To understand the truth of those teachings, a believer must understand what the spiritual symbols represent and then apply the teaching spiritually and inwardly.

The Parables which begin with this phrase "the Kingdom of Heaven is like" are teachings on certain aspects (here a little and there a little) of the pathway to salvation. That pathway is spiritual.

Earlier on this thread, I presented the spiritual teaching of the Parable of the Ten Virgins. The parable is part of the "marriage analogy" which is taught in many places of scripture. To understand the parable, one must also consider the other portions of scripture which teach on that analogy. And since the parable is one of the "Kingdom of Heaven is like" parables, we know that it is teaching on the pathway to salvation that the Elect must travel.

Here is a similar teaching by Christ. This teaching is a "type" which also teaches a portion of the pathway to salvation. See if you can find the similar points which are presented in the Ten Virgins parable.

Here is the scripture:

John 4:7 There cometh a woman of Samaria to draw water: Jesus saith unto her, Give me to drink. 8 (For his disciples were gone away unto the city to buy meat.) 9 Then saith the woman of Samaria unto him, How is it that thou, being a Jew, askest drink of me, which am a woman of Samaria? for the Jews have no dealings with the Samaritans. 10 Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water. 11 The woman saith unto him, Sir, thou hast nothing to draw with, and the well is deep: from whence then hast thou that living water? 12 Art thou greater than our father Jacob, which gave us the well, and drank thereof himself, and his children, and his cattle? 13 Jesus answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again: 14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life. 15 The woman saith unto him, Sir, give me this water, that I thirst not, neither come hither to draw. 16 Jesus saith unto her, Go, call thy husband, and come hither. 17 The woman answered and said, I have no husband. Jesus said unto her, Thou hast well said, I have no husband: 18 For thou hast had five husbands; and he whom thou now hast is not thy husband: in that saidst thou truly. 19 The woman saith unto him, Sir, I perceive that thou art a prophet. 20 Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and ye say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship. 21 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father. 22 Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews. 23 Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews. 24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth. 25 The woman saith unto him, I know that Messias cometh, which is called Christ: when he is come, he will tell us all things. 26 Jesus saith unto her, I that speak unto thee am he.

The Samaritan woman is half Gentile and half Jew. In the story, she represents a 'called out" Gentile believer who has received the "earnest" (down payment/1st installment) of the Holy Spirit. The earnest of the Spirit is also called the Early Rain or the Holy Spirit of Promise. The earnest of the Spirit is given in measure and will leave a new believer carnally minded and spiritually blind. In this condition, Christ will remain "veiled" from them.

Eph 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that Holy Spirit of Promise, 14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance UNTIL the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

When an Elect person receives the Holy Spirit of Promise, it seals them until their day of redemption which will occur when Christ "comes again" and pours out the Latter Rain.

The sealing of the Elect with the Holy Spirit of Promise is presented in the first half of Revelation chapter 7. The second half of chapter 7 shows the Elect upon their day of redemption when they are baptized with the Holy Spirit (Latter Rain). This happens within the lifetime of each of the Elect.

Since the Samaritan woman has only received the Early Rain, she still drinks from Jacob's well. The water of Jacob's well will keep the woman under the Law and will leave her "thirsty" (Mat 5:6). It leaves her thirsty because the Law cannot make her righteous - but the Law will lead her to Christ (Gal 3:24) and His water of life which will make her righteous. The water of life represents the Latter Rain/Baptism of the Holy Spirit. After a called out believer drinks of this water, they will come out from the Law and be covered under the New Covenant of Grace through Faith.

Christ mentions the "gift of God" and says to the woman that if she "knew" who it was standing before her, she would have asked Him to give her His "living water". But the woman could not recognize Christ because of her spiritual blindness (Acts 9:5). This portion of the exchange between the woman and Christ is referring to what is taught in Luke 11:9-13. In that scripture, it teaches that when an Elect believer has finally been lead to Christ, they will ask for the Holy Spirit (Latter Rain). In response to their prayer, Christ will pour out the Holy Spirit upon them. This is the same salvation event which the 120 Jewish Elect experienced on the Day of Pentecost. It is the same prayer that Paul was praying after being in Damascus for three days. This is the Latter Rain.

When the woman asks for some of the living water Christ mentions, Christ does not give her any, but instead, Christ tells her to "call your husband and tell him to come here". She replies and says that she does not have a husband. Christ then tells her that she has said well. Christ continues by telling her that she has had "five husbands" and that the one she is with now is not her husband. The phrase "five husbands" is a spiritual symbol which represents a "called out" Gentile believer's "first love" (Christ). The number "five" represents the way a believer approaches Christ. In this case, the woman (when she first came to Christ), approached Him by "faith". But afterward, Satan came to her and deceived her. When she listened to Satan, she committed adultery with him and fell away. The woman committed adultery by following Satan's way (the crooked way of "works") instead of remaining "faithful" to her husband (Christ).

Near the end of the story, Christ tells her that the "hour" will come when she will no longer worship God on the "mountain" or in "Jerusalem". These two terms represents her carnality. The "hour" will come when the woman has been converted and has been given spiritual vision. She will then be able to worship God in "Spirit and in truth".

The story ends with the woman still not knowing who Jesus is. The woman then says that she knows when the Messiah comes, He will tell her all things. Christ then reveals Himself to her to represent His coming to her with the Latter Rain and salvation.

Joe

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear VictoryinJesus,
The Word of God is written in the spiritual language of Christ. To understand scripture, a person must understand it "spiritually". Christ said to understand the spiritual way, one must have "ears that can hear" and "eyes that can see".

Paul made this statement:

1Cor 3:1 And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ. 2 I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.

The carnal mind understands (sees) Christ in a literal and outward way. This is the way mankind sees Christ and the way believers who are under the Old Covenant see Him.

The spiritual mind understands Christ in a spiritual and inward way. Only believers who are converted and who are under the New Covenant will see Christ in this manner.

In the spiritual language of Christ, Christ teaches us by spiritual symbols in parables (fictional stories), types (actual events) and by analogies. To understand the truth of those teachings, a believer must understand what the spiritual symbols represent and then apply the teaching spiritually and inwardly.

The Parables which begin with this phrase "the Kingdom of Heaven is like" are teachings on certain aspects (here a little and there a little) of the pathway to salvation. That pathway is spiritual.

Earlier on this thread, I presented the spiritual teaching of the Parable of the Ten Virgins. The parable is part of the "marriage analogy" which is taught in many places of scripture. To understand the parable, one must also consider the other portions of scripture which teach on that analogy. And since the parable is one of the "Kingdom of Heaven is like" parables, we know that it is teaching on the pathway to salvation that the Elect must travel.

Here is a similar teaching by Christ. This teaching is a "type" which also teaches a portion of the pathway to salvation. See if you can find the similar points which are presented in the Ten Virgins parable.

Here is the scripture:

John 4:7 There cometh a woman of Samaria to draw water: Jesus saith unto her, Give me to drink. 8 (For his disciples were gone away unto the city to buy meat.) 9 Then saith the woman of Samaria unto him, How is it that thou, being a Jew, askest drink of me, which am a woman of Samaria? for the Jews have no dealings with the Samaritans. 10 Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water. 11 The woman saith unto him, Sir, thou hast nothing to draw with, and the well is deep: from whence then hast thou that living water? 12 Art thou greater than our father Jacob, which gave us the well, and drank thereof himself, and his children, and his cattle? 13 Jesus answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again: 14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life. 15 The woman saith unto him, Sir, give me this water, that I thirst not, neither come hither to draw. 16 Jesus saith unto her, Go, call thy husband, and come hither. 17 The woman answered and said, I have no husband. Jesus said unto her, Thou hast well said, I have no husband: 18 For thou hast had five husbands; and he whom thou now hast is not thy husband: in that saidst thou truly. 19 The woman saith unto him, Sir, I perceive that thou art a prophet. 20 Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and ye say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship. 21 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father. 22 Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews. 23 Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews. 24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth. 25 The woman saith unto him, I know that Messias cometh, which is called Christ: when he is come, he will tell us all things. 26 Jesus saith unto her, I that speak unto thee am he.

The Samaritan woman is half Gentile and half Jew. In the story, she represents a 'called out" Gentile believer who has received the "earnest" (down payment/1st installment) of the Holy Spirit. The earnest of the Spirit is also called the Early Rain or the Holy Spirit of Promise. The earnest of the Spirit is given in measure and will leave a new believer carnally minded and spiritually blind. In this condition, Christ will remain "veiled" from them.

Eph 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that Holy Spirit of Promise, 14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance UNTIL the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

When an Elect person receives the Holy Spirit of Promise, it seals them until their day of redemption which will occur when Christ "comes again" and pours out the Latter Rain.

The sealing of the Elect with the Holy Spirit of Promise is presented in the first half of Revelation chapter 7. The second half of chapter 7 shows the Elect upon their day of redemption when they are baptized with the Holy Spirit (Latter Rain). This happens within the lifetime of each of the Elect.

Since the Samaritan woman has only received the Early Rain, she still drinks from Jacob's well. The water of Jacob's well will keep the woman under the Law and will leave her "thirsty" (Mat 5:6). It leaves her thirsty because the Law cannot make her righteous - but the Law will lead her to Christ (Gal 3:24) and His water of life which will make her righteous. The water of life represents the Latter Rain/Baptism of the Holy Spirit. After a called out believer drinks of this water, they will come out from the Law and be covered under the New Covenant of Grace through Faith.

Christ mentions the "gift of God" and says to the woman that if she "knew" who it was standing before her, she would have asked Him to give her His "living water". But the woman could not recognize Christ because of her spiritual blindness (Acts 9:5). This portion of the exchange between the woman and Christ is referring to what is taught in Luke 11:9-13. In that scripture, it teaches that when an Elect believer has finally been lead to Christ, they will ask for the Holy Spirit (Latter Rain). In response to their prayer, Christ will pour out the Holy Spirit upon them. This is the same salvation event which the 120 Jewish Elect experienced on the Day of Pentecost. It is the same prayer that Paul was praying after being in Damascus for three days. This is the Latter Rain.

When the woman asks for some of the living water Christ mentions, Christ does not give her any, but instead, Christ tells her to "call your husband and tell him to come here". She replies and says that she does not have a husband. Christ then tells her that she has said well. Christ continues by telling her that she has had "five husbands" and that the one she is with now is not her husband. The phrase "five husbands" is a spiritual symbol which represents a "called out" Gentile believer's "first love" (Christ). The number "five" represents the way a believer approaches Christ. In this case, the woman (when she first came to Christ), approached Him by "faith". But afterward, Satan came to her and deceived her. When she listened to Satan, she committed adultery with him and fell away. The woman committed adultery by following Satan's way (the crooked way of "works") instead of remaining "faithful" to her husband (Christ).

Near the end of the story, Christ tells her that the "hour" will come when she will no longer worship God on the "mountain" or in "Jerusalem". These two terms represents her carnality. The "hour" will come when the woman has been converted and has been given spiritual vision. She will then be able to worship God in "Spirit and in truth".

The story ends with the woman still not knowing who Jesus is. The woman then says that she knows when the Messiah comes, He will tell her all things. Christ then reveals Himself to her to represent His coming to her with the Latter Rain and salvation.

Joe
That is a lot to digest. How are we certain He didn’t give unto the woman Living Water when the Spirit was poured out on all flesh? Is it because He doesn’t draw up water from Jacobs well to give to her? She asked Him…”Sir, you have nothing to draw with, and the well is deep: from where then have you that living water?

“And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.”

Consider he question “what will you draw with? You have nothing to draw with. From where will you get this Living Water to give to me?”
What does He have to draw with to give unto us Living Water? She was looking around asking where is your bucket? Or vessel? Or jar? I don’t know what it was called then?

Also think it is important she was half gentile and half Jew. I do notice how closely it matches the ten virgins parable.

FaithWillDo

Mar 1, 2023
Fort Collins, CO, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is a lot to digest. How are we certain He didn’t give unto the woman Living Water when the Spirit was poured out on all flesh? Is it because He doesn’t draw up water from Jacobs well to give to her? She asked Him…”Sir, you have nothing to draw with, and the well is deep: from where then have you that living water?

“And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.”

Consider he question “what will you draw with? You have nothing to draw with. From where will you get this Living Water to give to me?”
What does He have to draw with to give unto us Living Water? She was looking around asking where is your bucket? Or vessel? Or jar? I don’t know what it was called then?

Also think it is important she was half gentile and half Jew. I do notice how closely it matches the ten virgins parable.
Dear VictoryinJesus,
I'm not sure what you mean when you ask "How are we certain He didn’t give unto the woman Living Water when the Spirit was poured out on all flesh?"

The story is a "type" which teaches spiritual truths. The story does not teach whether or not the woman was eventually saved before she died. But since she is a Samaritan, it is certain that she was not one of the 120 Jewish Elect who were saved on the Day of Pentecost. If she was saved before she died, it would have been when the Gospel was opened up to the Gentiles.

When the woman says "Sir, you have nothing to draw with", it is teaching that the New Covenant does not draw water from the physical Old Covenant of Law (symbolized by Jacob's well). The Early and Latter Rains are spiritual and represent the "living water" which is given to an Elect believer spiritually and not physically. But since the Early Rain is only a down payment, the person will remain carnally minded & spiritually blind (like the parable of the Ten Virgins teaches) and will fall back to being under the Law (Jacob's well). For that reason, Christ will pour out the Latter Rain on the called out believers who have also been chosen. The Foolish Virgins were called but not chosen. The extra flask of oil represents the Latter Rain and that is why the Wise Virgins are the only ones who have it.

As for the verse you quoted: "And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.”, it does not apply to the teaching of the story. All mankind will be eventually drawn to Christ & saved but the story is only teaching about the salvation of the Gentile Elect who are saved in this present age. It is not teaching about the eventual salvation of all mankind.

The parable of the Ten Virgins shows that everyone who is espoused to Christ (called out/Early Rain) will leave their first love and drink from Jacob's well. The parable of the Ten Virgins teaches this truth when all ten virgins "sleep and slumber". This represents that all called out believers will committed adultery with Satan and will fall away from approaching Christ solely by faith. After this happens, they will all be drinking from Jacob's well. Also, the ten virgins sleep at "night" which represents their spiritual blindness when Christ is concealed from their knowledge - just as the woman did not know that she was speaking to Christ. Because called out believers are spiritually blind, it is easy for Satan to masquerade as Christ and deceive them into following his "another gospel" rather than the true Gospel of Christ. And to make matters worse for called out believers, since they are remain carnal, they naturally prefer the Old Wine (Old Covenant) over the New Wine (New Covenant).

Luke 5:39 No man also having drunk old wine straightway desireth new: for he saith, the old is better.

A called out believer has no opportunity to replace their worldly truth with the truth of Christ. This scripture applies this truth:

Mat 12:43 When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest, and findeth none. 44 Then he saith, I will return into my house from whence I came out; and when he is come, he findeth it empty, swept, and garnished. 45 Then goeth he, and taketh with himself SEVEN other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter in and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first. Even so shall it be also unto this wicked generation.

The spiritual symbol of an unclean spirit represents a spirit which teaches Satan's false truth through lies and deceptions.

Since a new believer remains spiritually blind (Mark 8:21-25) after receiving the Early Rain of the Spirit (the Holy Spirit of Promise, Eph 1:13-14), they cannot replace their worldly false beliefs with the truth of Christ. ONE unclean spirit leaves but comes back with SEVEN more. The number "seven" represents perfection. In this case, the number seven represents the perfection of Satan's lies/deceptions which come to a believer by the indwelling of the spirit of anti-Christ. Now, instead of ONE unclean spirit within the believer, they now have EIGHT. The number eight is a spiritual symbol which represents a new spiritual condition. In this case, the new spiritual condition is worse than the first.

This "worse than the first" spiritual condition causes the believer to become a False Prophet, a Man of Sin, a Minister of Satan and a Seven Headed Beast with Ten Horns & Crowns.

Joe

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If I were confident that you are among the privileged per Matt 13:11 then I
might have cause to respect your advice as that of a valid spiritual
counselor.
_
Lol you miss the importance of the oil and fail to acknowledge the oil and not being at their post is one and the same issue.
I guess you believe you are the elite privileged.
F2F

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear VictoryinJesus,
I'm not sure what you mean when you ask "How are we certain He didn’t give unto the woman Living Water when the Spirit was poured out on all flesh?"

The story is a "type" which teaches spiritual truths. The story does not teach whether or not the woman was eventually saved before she died. But since she is a Samaritan, it is certain that she was not one of the 120 Jewish Elect who were saved on the Day of Pentecost. If she was saved before she died, it would have been when the Gospel was opened up to the Gentiles.

When the woman says "Sir, you have nothing to draw with", it is teaching that the New Covenant does not draw water from the physical Old Covenant of Law (symbolized by Jacob's well). The Early and Latter Rains are spiritual and represent the "living water" which is given to an Elect believer spiritually and not physically. But since the Early Rain is only a down payment, the person will remain carnally minded & spiritually blind (like the parable of the Ten Virgins teaches) and will fall back to being under the Law (Jacob's well). For that reason, Christ will pour out the Latter Rain on the called out believers who have also been chosen. The Foolish Virgins were called but not chosen. The extra flask of oil represents the Latter Rain and that is why the Wise Virgins are the only ones who have it.

As for the verse you quoted: "And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.”, it does not apply to the teaching of the story. All mankind will be eventually drawn to Christ & saved but the story is only teaching about the salvation of the Gentile Elect who are saved in this present age. It is not teaching about the eventual salvation of all mankind.

The parable of the Ten Virgins shows that everyone who is espoused to Christ (called out/Early Rain) will leave their first love and drink from Jacob's well. The parable of the Ten Virgins teaches this truth when all ten virgins "sleep and slumber". This represents that all called out believers will committed adultery with Satan and will fall away from approaching Christ solely by faith. After this happens, they will all be drinking from Jacob's well. Also, the ten virgins sleep at "night" which represents their spiritual blindness when Christ is concealed from their knowledge - just as the woman did not know that she was speaking to Christ. Because called out believers are spiritually blind, it is easy for Satan to masquerade as Christ and deceive them into following his "another gospel" rather than the true Gospel of Christ. And to make matters worse for called out believers, since they are remain carnal, they naturally prefer the Old Wine (Old Covenant) over the New Wine (New Covenant).

Luke 5:39 No man also having drunk old wine straightway desireth new: for he saith, the old is better.

A called out believer has no opportunity to replace their worldly truth with the truth of Christ. This scripture applies this truth:

Joe
I’m having a hard time with your post. It is way over my head. If I understand correctly you are suggesting the Samaritan woman is just as much a parable as the ten virgin parable? I see them as different. One Jesus spoke to give an example. The other (the woman by the well) something He encountered on His journey. You said if it was a literal woman then she, would have to be saved before her death, and it would have been when the gospel went to the gentiles. Isn’t that the point though? His first preached to the Jews then as prophesied, the gospel would be preached to all nations? I do see connections to the woman by the well and the ten virgins. Mostly in who gives the Light. The oil. The meat. Who distributes and supplies the poor in spirit all things pertaining to Life. To say or suggest her as not a literal woman .. Jesus said “I must go” when He said He must go that way, through Samaria …is to take away the significance (to me) that He loved the woman. BUT I can’t knock your saying the woman by the well teaches or reveals Spiritual things, unseen things.. because to me everything Jesus encounters did. Like when He compared the natural birth and a spiritual birth in helping with “you must be born again”. You said Jacob’s well is the Law, that they will all go back to drinking of. I was thinking of it as His showing a literal well that man dug …and speaking of a well not dug by mens hands but a well coming from God, the supply of Living water coming out from God which to me it is Christ that comes out from the Father. I can see (though)your suggestion of Jacobs well in “wisdom” …where Jacobs well speaks of wisdom that is earthly. Devilish. Full of every evil work. Can see this as the water from Jacobs well that one drinks from and dies. Yet then we are instructed that the Wisdom which comes from God, the Living Water, is first pure…
Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom.
14 But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth.
15 This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish.
16 For where envying and strife is, there isconfusion and every evil work.
17 But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.
18 And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.

The verse of “Wake up, you who sleepest, wake up unto righteousness and Christ will give you Light.” …I still think the ten virgins, all who slept… they must have heard of His coming because that is the parable getting ready “for the Bridegroom comes” …wake up unto righteousness has to be (to me) wake up unto righteousness; made “Alive unto God” as Paul spoke of too… “Alive unto God” but if her husband for dead, she is free to marry another. Same way you have been made dead to the law of unrighteousness “by the body of Christ to bring forth fruit unto God” …we are talking wisdom in the parable …the wise and the foolish. I can hear Paul’s “you think I should praise or commend you. I praise you not.” Those considered to be wise and praised and commendable in the parable. One has but won’t give to the other. One has not, but ask and is not given unto. To me that is “what the kingdom will be likened unto in the last days”. If we are speaking of wisdom that is earthly and Wisdom which comes from God…which is “No. there won’t be enough for you and me.” …to me the parable just nailed (I mean in regards to significance) the woman by the well half gentile and half Jew. The whole squabble is there is not enough for the Gentiles also, it is only for the Jew. Which to me is the whole point of what angered God which is totally avoiding “love you neighbor as you love yourself. give (bless)those who curse you and hate you. Be kind to the unkindness. Be merciful to the unmerciful. If your enemy is hungry then feed him.” If someone asks for oil because their lamp is going out. Don’t shut the door on them, keep the door open. If you have a flask full…why are you afraid to pour the whole flask out into their lamp? Do you not know yet that the Lord will reward you with Life? Why are you afraid there won’t be enough for you and him? When your sufficiency comes from God and not Jacobs well? To me the whole parable of the ten virgins is to rebuke those wise in their own wisdom …because we say the same thing concerning “meat” is for those mature. yet Paul tells another way. He doesn’t boast in “meat” for some and “milk” for babes….but instead speaks of preparing them for and to handle the “meat”. I’ve encountered on here “you can’t have the meat” it belongs to us who are mature. ..then behave mature. Feed me milk —like a nurse maid to a child—unto I can handle the “meat”. Do not covet the meat for your own status as to be one called mature…if you can’t even handle charity nor love.

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
which is “No. there won’t be enough for you and me.” …to me the parable just nailed the woman by the well half gentile and half Jew. The whole squabble is there is not enough for the Gentiles also, it is only for the Jew.
The woman by the well is both. Half gentile, half Jew. :musicaln:What a shocker when the Spirit was poured out on the gentiles also. Point is, each person can decide for themselves. for me the “wise” he spoke the parable to lacked this one thing..”go sell all you own and give to the poor(what about this do we ignore?). Come follow Me.” I get you may say otherwise because they were “the chosen” and had the Spirit of God. (A down payment?) then this down payment was to bring forth Fruit, made Alive unto God. Awakened unto the righteousness of Christ. It is like praising and commending the Pharisee would did have peace, but refused it. “If you had known (you have not heard His voice, nor the voice of the prophets) the peace that belonged to you but now it hidden from you.”

Last edited: