Don't read this

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
You posted the website.
You should know #3
Oh now I do.

I remember when I used to search the Bible for any verse or passages that would aid me in winning an argument. I did however do my best to use verses that were relevant to debunking someone's argument, but sometime I'd lose my head and post something completely offcuff. So I understand, I really do.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh now I do.

I remember when I used to search the Bible for any verse or passages that would aid me in winning an argument. I did however do my best to use verses that were relevant to debunking someone's argument, but sometime I'd lose my head and post something completely offcuff. So I understand, I really do.
It's not about winning. It's about being right.
And you can't take a verse, you have to have context.
And maybe it's not about proving other people wrong but rather looking at things from different perspectives.
Some people just like to be on top.
Other people like to help lift others up.
Big difference.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So it's perfectly fine for a Christian to serve the silent treatment on somebody when necessary; even if that causes them psychological pain?
I am justifying God and any person who is following precisely the lead of the Holy Spirit. People bearing the label Christian may not always follow so precisely for not good reasons, but I cannot stop them from doing that. If they make an error and I see it, I am certainly able to pray for them and if they are open to it, I may be able to advise them on how to do better. Our perfect example will not be seen in every person we meet who calls himself a Christian. Why are you so critical when people are less than perfect? Is that your job as appointed by God, the God whose existence you seemingly doubt?

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
It's not about winning. It's about being right.
And you can't take a verse, you have to have context.
And maybe it's not about proving other people wrong but rather looking at things from different perspectives.
Some people just like to be on top.
Other people like to help lift others up.
Big difference.
How can getting to the truth be accomplished by debating one unsubstantiated belief over another. How can there be a rigorous discourse of fact based discovery, when the price of error in those beliefs means a total loss of salvation.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
unsubstantiated
This is the error in the question.
If one has no substantial belief in their faith, why bother having a rigorous discourse to begin with?
Other than to just be contentuous.
If one lacks faith in their belief, then that is their error.

Reactions: amadeus

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's like me arguing with my neighbor that no matter what, my car will make it to the store.
My car is a piece of junk and I put no faith into it.
I hope it will get me there, but I'm not going to argue, that without a doubt it will get me there.
My car has let me down in the past.
God hasn't.
Big difference

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
This is the error in the question.
If one has no substantial belief in their faith, why bother having a rigorous discourse to begin with?
Other than to just be contentuous.
If one lacks faith in their belief, then that is their error.
Actually now I think about your reply, I did make a error at post #27. My argument was simply supposed to be about a person deploying their belief to debunk a concept that lies outside the believers belief system itself. Yes, I did struggle with articulating that idea, and put the post together incoherently.

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
That's like me arguing with my neighbor that no matter what, my car will make it to the store.
My car is a piece of junk and I put no faith into it.
I hope it will get me there, but I'm not going to argue, that without a doubt it will get me there.
My car has let me down in the past.
God hasn't.
Big difference
Yum Yum Yum.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have a hard time grasping what your trying to say..
but I'll try..

a person deploying their belief to debunk a concept that lies outside the believers belief system itself.

hmm..
give me an example of what you mean please
Thanx

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
I have a hard time grasping what your trying to say..
but I'll try..

a person deploying their belief to debunk a concept that lies outside the believers belief system itself.

hmm..
give me an example of what you mean please
Thanx
A believer using the Bible to debunk a person's argument that microwave ovens are the best method of retaining the highest level of nutrients for certain vegetables (Due to the process being completely artificial, and against how God created food to be cooked)

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see your point.
I wouldn't use a bible to debunk it.
But the science or whatever that does debunk that microwaves are best method for retaining... what you said,
because study show that microwaves actually destroy all the nutrients in everything.

So this is where.. Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and unto God what is God's come in handy.
Science for science and Faith for Faith.

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
I see your point.
I wouldn't use a bible to debunk it.
But the science or whatever that does debunk that microwaves are best method for retaining... what you said,
because study show that microwaves actually destroy all the nutrients in everything.

So this is where.. Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and unto God what is God's come in handy.
Science for science and Faith for Faith.
Except when faith meets science all the way on Christian forums to spread the Gospel of Jesus the Christ (I think the proper way to address God the son is as Jesus the Christ/Not, Jesus Christ)

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Actually it just occurred to me how linguistically awkward it would be for people using Jesus the Christ! As a cuss word, over the common cuss phrase Jesus Christ!

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually it just occurred to me how linguistically awkward it would be for people using Jesus the Christ! As a cuss word, over the common cuss phrase Jesus Christ!
Yeah, maybe easier not to say it at all :p

Christ means "The Anointed"
so Jesus Christ means Jesus the Anointed.
either way.

But still, better not to cuss than have one find oneself in a linguistically awkward position in the first place.
Amen?

:)

Yan

Jun 15, 2020
City of David
the-land-of-hope.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Indonesia
Science itself was seems created by God, because in Genesis 3:22 has shown that the tree of knowledge good & evil was preserved by God to make mankind become like God. That's why when the scriptures are being given to a mankind, all mankind were called as the children of god (Psalms 82:6; John 10:31-38).
What differs the child of God and child of serpent ?
The child of God have a nature of God which are loving, compassion, forgives, peaceful, fair, etc (Galatians 5:22-23); while the child of serpent is the killer because serpent was a killer of a men since beginning of time (John 8:44).

Reactions: Ziggy

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Yeah, maybe easier not to say it at all :p

Christ means "The Anointed"
so Jesus Christ means Jesus the Anointed.
either way.

But still, better not to cuss than have one find oneself in a linguistically awkward position in the first place.
Amen?

:)
My opinion as to why people use cuss words comes down to the individual using them like putty in a series of cracks in their inability to articulate themselves emotionally.

Reactions: Ziggy

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My opinion as to why people use cuss words comes down to the individual using them like putty in a series of cracks in their inability to articulate themselves emotionally.
I had a vocabulary worse then the worse truckers.
I say had... to be honest I get talking with my daughter and it's like we have a competition of who can say the most F bombs in a sentence.
That's an old habit. One not easily broken. It just flows out like water if you don't put a stopper on it.
But there are no meanings to them, like you say, they are just fillers. And it's not directed it's just part of the conversation.
I grew up on the low side of the city. Swearing was the language everybody used. Didn't mean anything.. just sounds.
And you had to act tough and sound tough in order to protect yourself.
Everywhere I worked has been an atmosphere of foul language.
It doesn't offend me when people cuss. Maybe there's a reason why I'm tone deaf to it.
I can talk to people from all walks without shutting them down because they didn't say this right or that right.
Now if I watch tv or a video and there is cussing, it actually hurts my ears.
Because they do it deliberately, and somehow I can sense the difference.
It's weird.. what can I say?

I don't think in cuss words.. they just fall out of my mouth.
I got plenty mouthwash.. better than the soap my mom used to use.
I don't swear when I talk to my dad or my mother in law, or the store clerk..
just my kid..
that is weird..
just fillers though, not angry or attitude..
She don't swear to her husband or my grandson,
just me...
I actually sitting here thinking..
why do we do that?
LOL
I don't know..