Don't read this

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
I had a vocabulary worse then the worse truckers.
I say had... to be honest I get talking with my daughter and it's like we have a competition of who can say the most F bombs in a sentence.
That's an old habit. One not easily broken. It just flows out like water if you don't put a stopper on it.
But there are no meanings to them, like you say, they are just fillers. And it's not directed it's just part of the conversation.
I grew up on the low side of the city. Swearing was the language everybody used. Didn't mean anything.. just sounds.
And you had to act tough and sound tough in order to protect yourself.
Everywhere I worked has been an atmosphere of foul language.
It doesn't offend me when people cuss. Maybe there's a reason why I'm tone deaf to it.
I can talk to people from all walks without shutting them down because they didn't say this right or that right.
Now if I watch tv or a video and there is cussing, it actually hurts my ears.
Because they do it deliberately, and somehow I can sense the difference.
It's weird.. what can I say?

I don't think in cuss words.. they just fall out of my mouth.
I got plenty mouthwash.. better than the soap my mom used to use.
I don't swear when I talk to my dad or my mother in law, or the store clerk..
just my kid..
that is weird..
just fillers though, not angry or attitude..
She don't swear to her husband or my grandson,
just me...
I actually sitting here thinking..
why do we do that?
LOL
I don't know..
Yes. I arrived at the same conclusion that using cuss words is not saying anything. Unfortunately for me, my mother used to make me drink a table spoon of tabasco sauce if I said any cuss word's.

Reactions: Ziggy

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. I arrived at the same conclusion that using cuss words is not saying anything. Unfortunately for me, my mother used to make me drink a table spoon of tabasco sauce if I said any cuss word's.
I think I would have prefered the tobasco sauce. The soap was horrid.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Alright, drink a table spoon of tabasco sauce for a comparison, then take 2 aspirin and call me in the morning if the burning persists.
I'll take your word for it. I have enough to handle a 1/2 tsp of hot peppers on an itialian sub.
Maybe when I was a kid.. but definately not now.
:cool:

TheslightestID

Nov 30, 2020
From here to Kingdom come.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So it's perfectly fine for a Christian to serve the silent treatment on somebody when necessary; even if that causes them psychological pain?

Sometimes the silent treatment is used when those on the reciving end are very aware of what they did to cause it, yet they continue those dirty deeds. If you don't presently cover that point, you should.

People hate the silent treatment, even if they know why it's being implemented...it's a way to punish an adult, and hopfully aleviate the problem. See we can't force a childish adult to go to their room, but we can essentually send them to a vurtual room where they have no contact with certian people.

Having to do any of that is of course, not good, but sometimes the end justifies the means. And I do agree they definitely need to know why they are getting the treatment, but in my eperience, they always know, as that is the only time I use it.

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Sometimes the silent treatment is used when those on the reciving end are very aware of what they did to cause it, yet they continue those dirty deeds. If you don't presently cover that point, you should.

People hate the silent treatment, even if they know why it's being implemented...it's a way to punish an adult, and hopfully aleviate the problem. See we can't force a childish adult to go to their room, but we can essentually send them to a vurtual room where they have no contact with certian people.

Having to do any of that is of course, not good, but sometimes the end justifies the means. And I do agree they definitely need to know why they are getting the treatment, but in my eperience, they always know, as that is the only time I use it.
If you do actual research on this psychological condition/tactic you just might turn that opinion over.

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Show me where and how I ere.
My father used the silent treatment throughout my childhood and even in to my adult life everytime I voiced an opinion he found confronting. Understand that if you become a target for that type of reaction, that it's not about you. It is about them feeling insecure around you because you don't fit with their world view, moral preferences, work ethics, beloved football team, religious beliefs, the list is endless. So they remove themself from associating with you in a desperate attempt to change you into them.

You get it?

TheslightestID

Nov 30, 2020
From here to Kingdom come.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My father used the silent treatment throughout my childhood and even in to my adult life everytime I voiced an opinion he found confronting.

The very few times I have done that was to an adult, not a child, and they knew beyond doubt they had done someting bad wrong.

So, though I agree that in your case it likely was wrong of him to do that, we are talking two completely different situations here. He erred, and I, to this day, feel strongly that I have not.

This is a God given reflex, just like anger, there is a right and wrong time to use it, as such reflexes must be used wisely.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My father used the silent treatment throughout my childhood and even in to my adult life everytime I voiced an opinion he found confronting. Understand that if you become a target for that type of reaction, that it's not about you. It is about them feeling insecure around you because you don't fit with their world view, moral preferences, work ethics, beloved football team, religious beliefs, the list is endless. So they remove themself from associating with you in a desperate attempt to change you into them.

You get it?
So what did you do?
Did you become more silent or more vocal?
I'm kind of stubborn, my ex used to do that to me. So I would say stuff to tick him off to make him talk to me.
I didn't grow up with that though. Maybe if I had I wouldn't of challenged the silent treatment.

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
The very few times I have done that was to an adult, not a child, and they knew beyond doubt they had done someting bad wrong.

So, though I agree that in your case it likely was wrong of him to do that, we are talking two completely different situations here. He erred, and I, to this day, feel strongly that I have not.

This is a God given reflex, just like anger, there is a right and wrong time to use it, as such reflexes must be used wisely.
You need to demonstrate in theory why it would be wise to take such action.

Last edited:

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
So what did you do?
Did you become more silent or more vocal?
I'm kind of stubborn, my ex used to do that to me. So I would say stuff to tick him off to make him talk to me.
I didn't grow up with that though. Maybe if I had I wouldn't of challenged the silent treatment.
I became more talkative, and a people pleaser because of it.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I became more talkative, and a people pleaser because of it.
I always been one to try to find common ground..
not so much kiss butt though.
I'm an Aries..
I rather ram heads and find a solution than just bow down and just to keep the peace.
Although I prefer peace, sometimes you have to fight to keep it.
What's your sign?

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
I always been one to try to find common ground..
not so much kiss butt though.
I'm an Aries..
I rather ram heads and find a solution than just bow down and just to keep the peace.
Although I prefer peace, sometimes you have to fight to keep it.
What's your sign?
Scorpio.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You get it?
You see things, [or think you do], all black and white and thereby have all the answers [or think you do]. Without encountering God for yourself, you cannot understand where people are who have encountered God. You can write us off and criticize and/or mock us, but the proof is in our minds and hearts where you are unable to see. Are you familiar with this verse which unbelievers may write off as circular reasoning?

"But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him." Heb 11:6

It appears circular when viewed only through the lens of carnal man's way of thinking, his own logic. One does have to step out in faith to approach God. To the sincere heart, God will add anything that is then needed.

"Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled." Matt 5:6

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
You see things, [or think you do], all black and white and thereby have all the answers [or think you do]. Without encountering God for yourself, you cannot understand where people are who have encountered God. You can write us off and criticize and/or mock us, but the proof is in our minds and hearts where you are unable to see. Are you familiar with this verse which unbelievers may write off as circular reasoning?

"But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him." Heb 11:6

It appears circular when viewed only through the lens of carnal man's way of thinking, his own logic. One does have to step out in faith to approach God. To the sincere heart, God will add anything that is then needed.

"Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled." Matt 5:6
That's cool, your entitled to your beliefs.

Reactions: amadeus