Don't sacrifice your home for your Ministry

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Your first ministry is to the home." Mom would begin.

She began to explain why its important to see that your house is in order before various outreach ministries.

I think this is biblical.

1 Timothy 5:8

8 But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

That word infidel is translated in some versions to be 'unbeliever.

One of the qualifications of an Elder is that they run their home well (1 Timothy 3:4), are the husband of one wife and have faithful children (Titus 1:6).

This is only possible when deliberate time qnd priority is given to the home.

Many times, as a result of our own egos, we come up with a huge to-do list outside of loving our spouses and children well. But we should be careful.

Paul said we could give ourselves up to be burned alive and it be useless if we do not love (1 Corinthians 13:3).

It takes love and humility to prioritize one's family over outside ministry. People aren't going to celebrate loudly for going home and loving your family well. But those who care more about the appearance of Godliness already have their reward (Matthew 6:2).

We've all seen the results of those who focus on the ministry and sacrifice their family in the process. They may have booming ministries but their families are jaded and broken.

Thats why I love to see pastors and ministry leaders take breaks, delegate leadership, and cherish their wives and children first.

We need to be careful that our ministry does not become hypocrisy.
Matthew 7:22-23

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

HisLife

Aug 24, 2020
Napier
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand

It takes love and humility to prioritize one's family over outside ministry.

No, Your First ministry should be to God then your Husband or wife and family and then to the church, How do interpret the Verse 1 Timothy 5:8 But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, What do you think needs to be provided in that verse?

It takes love and humility to prioritize one's family over outside ministry.

It takes Gods Love to be able to get these prioritizes right, If the foundation isnt God First the rest will be based on pride and will fall

The order Is always God First, Then the rest can line up from that perspective, True Love comes from God as God is Love, Trying to love outside Of God you end up with people killing out of there view of Love because it is not based on God, God is the foundation for everything that will Stand in the end

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

She began to explain why its important to see that your house is in order before various outreach ministries.

I think this is biblical.

1 Timothy 5:8

8 But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

That word infidel is translated in some versions to be 'unbeliever.

One of the qualifications of an Elder is that they run their home well (1 Timothy 3:4), are the husband of one wife and have faithful children (Titus 1:6).

This is only possible when deliberate time qnd priority is given to the home.

Many times, as a result of our own egos, we come up with a huge to-do list outside of loving our spouses and children well. But we should be careful.

Paul said we could give ourselves up to be burned alive and it be useless if we do not love (1 Corinthians 13:3).

It takes love and humility to prioritize one's family over outside ministry. People aren't going to celebrate loudly for going home and loving your family well. But those who care more about the appearance of Godliness already have their reward (Matthew 6:2).

We've all seen the results of those who focus on the ministry and sacrifice their family in the process. They may have booming ministries but their families are jaded and broken.

Thats why I love to see pastors and ministry leaders take breaks, delegate leadership, and cherish their wives and children first.

We need to be careful that our ministry does not become hypocrisy.
Matthew 7:22-23

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

A bold thread @Wynona. Needful and interesting but bold. Love the title you choose.

Reactions: Mayflower

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, Your First ministry should be to God then your Husband or wife and family and then to the church, How do interpret the Verse 1 Timothy 5:8 But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, What do you think needs to be provided in that verse?

It takes Gods Love to be able to get these prioritizes right, If the foundation isnt God First the rest will be based on pride and will fall

The order Is always God First, Then the rest can line up from that perspective, True Love comes from God as God is Love, Trying to love outside Of God you end up with people killing out of there view of Love because it is not based on God, God is the foundation for everything that will Stand in the end
Thanks HisLife.

I was kind of assuming God being first was a given.

God, then family, then outside ministry is what Im trying to get across

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I can relate to that. Not long after first becoming a Christian I married a girl in the church I joined, and we quickly became youth leaders. Quickly mainly because there were no other volunteers. But the thing is we were so focused on doing "stuff" for this thing and that person, mistakenly thinking that doing stuff in the church was the equal to doing stuff for God. As a result we neglected each other and our marriage. My wife woke up early to this, me, not so much. I couldn't see it. We got over it, but lessons learnt the hard way.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can relate to that. Not long after first becoming a Christian I married a girl in the church I joined, and we quickly became youth leaders. Quickly mainly because there were no other volunteers. But the thing is we were so focused on doing "stuff" for this thing and that person, mistakenly thinking that doing stuff in the church was the equal to doing stuff for God. As a result we neglected each other and our marriage. My wife woke up early to this, me, not so much. I couldn't see it. We got over it, but lessons learnt the hard way.

If I may ask, what made you change your mind to knowing that doing stuff for the church wasn't necessarily doing things for God? Was it listening to your wife?

Was it hard to let go of doing all the ministry? Was there backlash?

Thank you, Backlit!

Reactions: marks and Mayflower

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Food for thought. I get concerned sometimes because my hubby works thirds. So he has to sleep a lot during the day. And now I'm working more hours with my son one. It is a blessing to be able to take my kids to work and being paid to play with them as well as other kids. I do spend a lot of time on forums. As the kids get older, I'll have to cut back more. It was a super good thing during covid lockdown between pregnancy and a two year old. But it was easy to slip into unhealthy habits. The enemy would just love to split the home and families up. When someone is seeking after God's kingdom first and foremost, He is going to take care of everything else. It is important to be mindful. How many other scriptures does it talk of though of evangelism and going out into all the world? Of who are Jesus mother, brother, fathers, sisters? The home is important. Prioritizing is so important... Family should not be kicked to the wayside.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Food for thought. I get concerned sometimes because my hubby works thirds. So he has to sleep a lot during the day. And now I'm working more hours with my son one. It is a blessing to be able to take my kids to work and being paid to play with them as well as other kids. I do spend a lot of time on forums. As the kids get older, I'll have to cut back more. It was a super good thing during covid lockdown between pregnancy and a two year old. But it was easy to slip into unhealthy habits. The enemy would just love to split the home and families up. When someone is seeking after God's kingdom first and foremost, He is going to take care of everything else. It is important to be mindful. How many other scriptures does it talk of though of evangelism and going out into all the world? Of who are Jesus mother, brother, fathers, sisters? The home is important. Prioritizing is so important... Family should not be kicked to the wayside.
I LOVE listening to your thoughts... I see you as a lowly handmaiden... with heart wide open and filled with LOVE of CHRIST.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If I may ask, what made you change your mind to knowing that doing stuff for the church wasn't necessarily doing things for God? Was it listening to your wife?

Was it hard to let go of doing all the ministry? Was there backlash?

Thank you, Backlit!
That took place over 40 years ago. What I remember is that my wife had greater and more important and urgent need for my attention and devotion than any of the youth in the church. And though I wasn't spending more time with them than my wife, it was proportionately too much. We didn't know it at the time, it was 20 years later she was diagnosed with PTSD as a result of childhood trauma. We struggled with this for years without understanding what was going on and why. It was God who brought us together. We both had needs that the other was given as a help meet. But in my young youthful excitement as a relatively new Christian, I saw ministry in the church as my main ministry... It wasn't.

Last edited by a moderator:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think your post is right on target!

Paul, writing to both Titus and Timothy, wrote, essentially, that the overseers and servers were to have successfully raised Christian families.

If we cannot care for our own families, how will we care for God's family?

Much love!

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That took place over 40 years ago. What I remember is that my wife had greater and more important and urgent need for my attention and devotion than any of the youth in the church. And though I wasn't spending more time with them than my wife, it was proportionately too much. We didn't know it at the time, it was 20 years later she was diagnosed with PTSD as a result of childhood trauma. We struggled with this for years without understanding what was going on and why. It was God who brought us together. We both had needs that the other was given as a help meet. But in my young youthful excitement as a relatively new Christian, I saw ministry in the church as my main ministry... It wasn't.
What a BEAUTIFUL and HONEST testimony.... This really touched my heart.