Drugs And Religion?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sounds like a reasonable answer, but there's a simpler one. When Jesus passed the cup to His disciples during the last supper, He did not drink and vowed not to drink any wine again until He drank it new with His disciples in God's kingdom. That's actually a nazarite vow.
I raised up some of your sons as prophets,
And some of your young men as Nazirites.
Is it not so, O you children of Israel?”
Says the Lord.
“But you gave the Nazirites wine to drink,
And commanded the prophets saying,
‘Do not prophesy!’ Amos 2:11-12
Never considered that before. I'll have to look into it. Though, I'm sure He would have declined that concoction if no such vow was His.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even the native american indians used a certain mushroom i think , to enter into the spirit world .
Rest assured they were not communing with the HOLY GOD , but with other spirits .
SO TOO unto the man who enters into communion with GOD by means of mind altering substances .
They will not find THE GOD through that door way . ONLY he who knows how to appear as god , or as an angel of light .
And believe me he knows how to deceive and make it seem geuniune .
If we want to hear from GOD , PRAY . But enter not into the gateway or door to God through any other means .
WE already have our communion with GOD . The HOLY SPIRIT who Christ sent in His name .
I'm part "savage American" (technically, anyone born in North, Central, or South American a "native American") - my great grandmother was a full blown, full blooded member of the Choctaw tribe in North America. Our people worshiped the Great Spirit (Satan) and smoked "peyote", a small cactus containing a hallucinogenic, as their sacrament.

My research over the years has led me to believe that the reason so many of our brothers and sisters of color in our human family have suffered so much subjugation and exploitation by the white man is directly the result of the Biblical curse that if a people turn their back on God toward the worship of false Gods and idols, they place themselves outside the protecting hand of our Lord.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Scenario: A wounded person comes to Christ. Hoping to find help, he joins a fellowship. After not being healed by what he is given, he is abused and then ostracized. He leaves the church in worse shape than when he came. Then the church gossip mill ensures he's not accepted elsewhere.
How can you help someone if you haven't taken the time to get to know them?
I've found that I can't give away what I don't have. Peace.

Reactions: teamventure

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well, hey man! How you been? I hope well, despite the 2020 clown show which seems to only continue :) I'm still waiting for you to explain how a literal 490 years (you claimed Daniel 9 translates as a literal "seventy sevens of years", not symbolic time) can be cut off from only 2,300 literal days of Daniel 8 :p
Hi Phoneman
I have been quite well, and this clown show is now becoming crimes against humanity and Gestapo tactics. There is going to be a Nuremberg 2 trial.

Anyway, back to your question. From the commandment to restore and build Jerusalem until the crucifixion of Christ (when Messiah was cut off but not for Himself) is a total of 483 years. That leaves 7 years to be fulfilled in the future.

7 years = 2,520 days, and 2,300 days is about 6 years and 5 months. So what will happen during Daniel's 70th week is that about 7 months before the end of that period the sanctuary within the temple in Jerusalem will be cleansed (the Abomination of Desolation will be removed).

Then I heard one saint speaking, and another saint said unto that certain saint which spake, How long shall be the vision concerning the daily sacrifice, and the transgression of desolation, to give both the sanctuary and the host to be trodden under foot? And he said unto me, Unto two thousand and three hundred days; then shall the sanctuary be cleansed. (Dan 8:13,14)

The word "days" cannot be years in this verse, since it literally means "mornings" and here's the reason:

Strong's Concordance

boqer: morn- ing
Original Word: בֹּקֶר
Part of Speech: Noun Masculine
Transliteration: boqer
Phonetic Spelling: (bo'-ker)
Definition: morn- ing

NASB Translation
dawn (1), dawn* (2), day (1), daybreak (1), every morning (5), morning (195), mornings (2), soon (1), tomorrow morning (1).

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
futurum, ubi non sunt atheus troglodytae
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You claim to be "amazed at grace", the grace of Him Who prayed for those crucifying Him, right? But, the moment your ideas - not you yourself, but simply your ideas - suffer a little pin-prick crucifixion, the only lesson that amazing grace has taught you is to ignore His plain directive in 1 Thessalonians 5:20-21 KJV to either prove or dismiss ideas that confront you - namely, my claim that drug use among Christians is dangerously foolish - and simply indignantly walk away?

That reaction fully underscores the equally childish, immature, unBiblical nature of your stupid position.

Anyone reading this should immediately resolve themselves to follow the Biblical commandments of God to continually maintain a watchful state of sobriety and alertness both for the soon coming of our Lord and against the fiery darts of the enemy.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Truman the Levite's thread about Christians smoking marijuana got me to thinking. From past personal experiences with several different drugs, hallucinogens and others, I noticed that on many occasions they would bring about a desire to be closer to and learn more about God. I wasn't just me, I've seen many others do the same.

Is there perhaps something about some drugs that may actually be used in positive way? If a drug makes you desire to learn and want to be closer to God, is this necessarily a bad thing?
Which God?

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
When I first got the high that Holy Spirit gives, I realized what a cheap counterfeit everything else is in comparison.
Yet even that high can be a deception. If your sole reason for approaching God is to get "high", to go to church to have a good time, then it becomes a self fulfilling desire and creases to glorify God as another poster aptly said.
Truthfully, I say no. But it is an interesting and difficult question if alcohol is ok. And frankly, its not ok to get drunk. Yeah, sometimes I do... But it isn't ok.
Yet just one molecule of alcohol destroys brain cells. That is scientifically proven. To claim that is God's will is a stretch to say the least. We are to have the mind of Christ. The mind of Christ is not one of self destruction.

I have no issue with the non Christian smoking or drinking. If they never come to fellowship with Christ and are eventually eternally condemned, who are we to deny them a few pleasures in this life so long as they aren't trampling on the rights and lives of others? But once saved, the things of this world ought to be cast out.
The very day after I received Christ into my life, I was on a high for so long. I decided that what better opportunity to have a smoke. So I wandered out onto the farm to my favorite spot by a lagoon, rolled up, and took a puff. Just one. I immediately, and I mean this most sincerely, immediately and without any sense of doubt or confusion, became intensely aware and totally cognisant that the spirit of God left me. I was so convicted that my bag and the remainder of that joint ended up in the lagoon.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Back in the 70s, I used LSD in a spiritual search for something more.
BIG mistake. What I found terrified me. I describe them as satanic spiritual beings. It took two years for the constant fear to stop.
It is my opinion that no one, under any conditions, should use drugs such as LSD, mescaline (peyote), psilocybin (mushrooms), etc., in the search for God.
Since they mess with the brain chemical serotonin that controls mood, I believe they should be avoided.
In an experiment, a dose of LSD was irradiated. From the time it was ingested, it was tracked using diagnostic imaging (CT scan, I think). It went straight to the serotonin gland and was excreted by the body within 15 minutes. I think the high is caused by the drug causing your gland to temporarily malfunction.
Seek God with all your heart, and according to His promise, and my experience, you will find Him. If you keep looking. Psalm 29:13

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If you use the bible as your moral guide you would have compassion for your fellow man who is sick with an addiction instead of callng them the scum of the earth.
In other contexts and other conversations would you not justify it's use by claiming that marijuana is not addictive?

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
A bad rep for standing up for what I believe in? You're just ticked off because you can't bully me out of this debate and feel like the winner. You thought that because I'm new and you boast a big 'Messages' and 'Likes Received' count that you could run the show. You choked on your own words and can't admit it.
If I may comment here, although HH doesn't need any help from me, but maybe you do. GH did not say sick people are scum. Those were your words. He said the people he has observed lining up outside the drug shops are scum. Not a word I would use personally, but let's not be claiming he said things that he didn't okay?

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
this entire post is whacky anyone using drugs to seek God .is actually seeking the devil who is able to transform into a angle of Light. actually using drugs is the same as witchcraft

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
it is additive i use to love to smoke it . if i went w/o a buzz i was not a very nice person
I would say it is addictive to some personality types. They possibly would also be more susceptible to addictive gambling and alcoholism and sexual fetishes. Not suggesting you were any of the above:)

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not suggesting you were any of the above
lol suggesting does not phase me in the least little bit. its not what i would say its what i do know addiction is something accurized i drink turns to 2 . 2 can lead to more. more can lead to i like it to i want it and need it. everything starts with one i am 59 been straight good 27 years . some i know are in there 60,s still drinks still does meth

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Phoneman
I have been quite well, and this clown show is now becoming crimes against humanity and Gestapo tactics. There is going to be a Nuremberg 2 trial.

Anyway, back to your question. From the commandment to restore and build Jerusalem until the crucifixion of Christ (when Messiah was cut off but not for Himself) is a total of 483 years. That leaves 7 years to be fulfilled in the future.

7 years = 2,520 days, and 2,300 days is about 6 years and 5 months. So what will happen during Daniel's 70th week is that about 7 months before the end of that period the sanctuary within the temple in Jerusalem will be cleansed (the Abomination of Desolation will be removed).

Then I heard one saint speaking, and another saint said unto that certain saint which spake, How long shall be the vision concerning the daily sacrifice, and the transgression of desolation, to give both the sanctuary and the host to be trodden under foot? And he said unto me, Unto two thousand and three hundred days; then shall the sanctuary be cleansed. (Dan 8:13,14)

The word "days" cannot be years in this verse, since it literally means "mornings" and here's the reason:

Strong's Concordance

boqer: morn- ing
Original Word: בֹּקֶר
Part of Speech: Noun Masculine
Transliteration: boqer
Phonetic Spelling: (bo'-ker)
Definition: morn- ing

NASB Translation
dawn (1), dawn* (2), day (1), daybreak (1), every morning (5), morning (195), mornings (2), soon (1), tomorrow morning (1).
Yes, so if the days are literal days, then how can the 70 Weeks be "seventy sevens of years"? You can't cut off 490 years from 2,300 literal days.

Therefore, the 70 Weeks are not "sevens of years" but "sevens of weeks", or 490 days...which demands the use of the DAY/YEAR principle.

BTW, the 70th Week was fulfilled in Christ way back in history ;)