Drugs And Religion?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Pretty sure that the law is satisfied in just 2 commandments, to love the lord our God with all our heart, soul, and strength, and to love our neighbor as ourself. So, do you have them down? Always showing love and compassion towards your neighbor? Always loving God through every trial? Pretty sure that smugness is not a spiritual gift.
It's called demonstrating absurdity by being absurd. I answered his post with good intentions, but got a flippant response.

At any rate, implying we can throw out the "ten" in favor of the "two" is not sound exegesis.

If you love God, you'll KEEP the first four.

If you love your neighbor, you'll KEEP the last six.

Last edited:

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
futurum, ubi non sunt atheus troglodytae
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But, after curse of sin fell upon the earth, conditions arose which didn't exist in that which was "good, good, very good"...such as fermentation, poisons, toxins, etc. Animals which previously lived in harmony with each other and nature now became an opposing force to it.

The Elant is the largest antelope in the world and is attracted to Acacia leaves...it will walk up to the tree and start wolfing them down. So, to avoid being killed, it has a defense mechanism: the breaking twigs release a pheromone which warns not only that tree, but the others nearby: they all respond by elevating the levels of the toxin "tannin" in their leaves so that at some point the animal takes a bite and goes, "yuck"...and he walks about 100 yards and begins eating on another tree, thus, the animal is forced to satisfy its hunger in a way that prevents it from stripping one and killing it off.

So, it's clear that toxins in plants are intended by God for purposes other than poisoning ourselves.
Well, sure. Plants, herbs, preexisted the pharmacopeial physians use today.
Plants heal, they can also make us very sick, or cause death.

However, with regard to the fall of our race and sin entering the world through Adam, I don't believe animals nor plants , nature, were affected.

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Thou shalt not kill" is, right?

When you introduce poisonous substances into your ransomed body which doesn't even belong to you, but to God, you are killing yourself...slowly.

Last time I checked, the commandment doesn't say, "Thou shalt not kill abruptly".
The original language was, thou shalt not murder.

If one were forbidden to kill anything, ancient people's would have been vegetarian.
And animal sacrifice, where the smell of roasting flesh and blood pleased the Lord, would not have occured in his name.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, sure. Plants, herbs, preexisted the pharmacopeial physians use today.
Plants heal, they can also make us very sick, or cause death.

However, with regard to the fall of our race and sin entering the world through Adam, I don't believe animals nor plants , nature, were affected.
The Bible says so...the curse not only affected the ground in its ability to yield food, but they became subject to death, as well as animals began savagely destroying each other, etc. I'll look up the verses which deal with nature being affected.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The original language was, thou shalt not murder.

If one were forbidden to kill anything, ancient people's would have been vegetarian.
And animal sacrifice, whe re the smell of roasting flesh and blood pleased the Lord, would not have occured in his name.
You're right, it's murder, not kill, but the point remains. People have been murdered by poisoning and we can do that to ourselves either abruptly or slowly. We live in a messed up world as it is with all the pollution, so I'm sure God wants us to do the best we can by not exacerbating the situation by deliberately polluting our bodies which He paid for with His blood.

Reactions: Brakelite

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just want to go on record as saying that I don’t think any Christian principle opposing medicinal cures and treatments. As far as recreational use, overdoing it is prohibited.

I had a friend who had a stomach issue. He could not drink any alcohol without getting sick. He did smoke MJ to relax.

Reactions: michaelvpardo

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're right, it's murder, not kill, but the point remains. People have been murdered by poisoning and we can do that to ourselves either abruptly or slowly. We live in a messed up world as it is with all the pollution, so I'm sure God wants us to do the best we can by not exacerbating the situation by deliberately polluting our bodies which He paid for with His blood.
If God created it to. Nourish our bodies I think we're good. Marijuana has its place, as does mushrooms. And were it not for grapes there would have been no wine for passover.

Remember certain of the prophets in scripture were given a tiny scroll, or something like, to take before their visions from God arrived.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's called demonstrating absurdity by being absurd. I answered his post with good intentions, but got a flippant response.

OH, DID YOU MISS THAT?

At any rate, implying we can throw out the "ten" in favor of the "two" is not sound exegesis.

If you love God, you'll KEEP the first four.

If you love your neighbor, you'll KEEP the last six.
Uh, I didn't reduce the commandments to two. That was this Jewish carpenter from Nazareth, I believe His name was Yashua. He'll be around shortly to explain things.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You spoke about people standing in line at legal pot stores. You also referred to them as "Druggies". And again, I quote:

I call them scum, straight up. The Bible says they are going to be burned. I am nice, I will donate the barbeque sauce.
Whoever wrote the dark letters , the bold letters , NEEDS to repent fast .
No way should we take pleasure in the death of the wicked . WARN them to repent YES and DO SO FAST .
BUT this was just wrong to say . I warn often , cause i have NO DESIRE for any to perish .

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If God created it to. Nourish our bodies I think we're good. Marijuana has its place, as does mushrooms. And were it not for grapes there would have been no wine for passover.

Remember certain of the prophets in scripture were given a tiny scroll, or something like, to take before their visions from God arrived.
I'm sure you'll agree that poisonous mushrooms have nothing to do with nourishment - they'll kill us. But, you seem to believe it's no big deal if a thing robs us of our ability to fight against the devil as long as it doesn't rob us of our life. Very immature. The army that sends its soldiers into battle with impaired cognitive ability has already lost before the first shot is fired.

"Be sober, be vigilant, for your adversary the devil walketh about seeking for whom he may devour."

"For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying unGodliness and worldly lusts, we are to live soberly, righteously, and Godly in this present world, looking for the blessed hope and the glorious appearing of our great God and our Savior Jesus Christ."​

BTW, it is Satan, not God, who finds it necessary to use mind altering methods to bridge the gap between the natural and supernatural. Not a single place in Scripture which teaches us to use drugs.

Last edited:

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Uh, I didn't reduce the commandments to two. That was this Jewish carpenter from Nazareth, I believe His name was Yashua. He'll be around shortly to explain things.
What do you mean by "reduce"?

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm sure you'll agree that poisonous mushrooms have nothing to do with nourishment - they'll kill us. But, you seem to believe it's no big deal if a thing robs us of our ability to fight against the devil as long as it doesn't rob us of our life. Very immature. The army that sends its soldiers into battle with impaired cognitive ability has already lost before the first shot is fired.

"Be sober, be vigilant, for your adversary the devil walketh about seeking for whom he may devour."

"For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying unGodliness and worldly lusts, we are to live soberly, righteously, and Godly in this present world, looking for the blessed hope and the glorious appearing of our great God and our Savior Jesus Christ."​

BTW, it is Satan, not God, who finds it necessary to use mind altering methods to bridge the gap between the natural and supernatural. Not a single place in Scripture which teaches us to use drugs.
Since you've made up your mind for the both of us, and presume to judge as well, good luck with that.

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
Ok back on topic,

Kaz, after reading folks replies to your post, are you even convinced a little bit that drug use may not be a way to God?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Not a single place in Scripture which teaches us to use drugs.
Correct. Indeed the Greek word translated as "sorcery" or witchcraft in the KJV is pharmakeia -- the use of drugs (along with spells). And it is forbidden.

Strong's Concordance
pharmakeia: the use of medicine, drugs or spells
Original Word: φαρμακεία, ας, ἡ
Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
Transliteration: pharmakeia
Phonetic Spelling: (far-mak-i'-ah)
Definition: the use of medicine, drugs or spells
Usage: magic, sorcery, enchantment.

Reactions: Azim

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
And animal sacrifice, where the smell of roasting flesh and blood pleased the Lord, would not have occured in his name.
I suppose he'll roast the wicked for eternity so he can get that never ending nice roasting smell

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since you've made up your mind for the both of us, and presume to judge as well, good luck with that.
You claim to be "amazed at grace", the grace of Him Who prayed for those crucifying Him, right? But, the moment your ideas - not you yourself, but simply your ideas - suffer a little pin-prick crucifixion, the only lesson that amazing grace has taught you is to ignore His plain directive in 1 Thessalonians 5:20-21 KJV to either prove or dismiss ideas that confront you - namely, my claim that drug use among Christians is dangerously foolish - and simply indignantly walk away?

That reaction fully underscores the equally childish, immature, unBiblical nature of your stupid position.

Anyone reading this should immediately resolve themselves to follow the Biblical commandments of God to continually maintain a watchful state of sobriety and alertness both for the soon coming of our Lord and against the fiery darts of the enemy.

Last edited:

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The power of death and life is in the tongue. Proverbs 18:21
Yep, peanuts and shellfish have claimed the life of many an unwary man - praise God for both the Sword of the Spirit and the Syringe of Epinephrine.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Correct. Indeed the Greek word translated as "sorcery" or witchcraft in the KJV is pharmakeia -- the use of drugs (along with spells). And it is forbidden.

Strong's Concordance
pharmakeia: the use of medicine, drugs or spells
Original Word: φαρμακεία, ας, ἡ
Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
Transliteration: pharmakeia
Phonetic Spelling: (far-mak-i'-ah)
Definition: the use of medicine, drugs or spells
Usage: magic, sorcery, enchantment.
Well, hey man! How you been? I hope well, despite the 2020 clown show which seems to only continue :) I'm still waiting for you to explain how a literal 490 years (you claimed Daniel 9 translates as a literal "seventy sevens of years", not symbolic time) can be cut off from only 2,300 literal days of Daniel 8 :p