Drugs And Religion?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Kaz

Apr 18, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Truman the Levite's thread about Christians smoking marijuana got me to thinking. From past personal experiences with several different drugs, hallucinogens and others, I noticed that on many occasions they would bring about a desire to be closer to and learn more about God. I wasn't just me, I've seen many others do the same.

Is there perhaps something about some drugs that may actually be used in positive way? If a drug makes you desire to learn and want to be closer to God, is this necessarily a bad thing?

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Truman the Levite's thread about Christians smoking marijuana got me to thinking. From past personal experiences with several different drugs, hallucinogens and others, I noticed that on many occasions they would bring about a desire to be closer to and learn more about God. I wasn't just me, I've seen many others do the same.

Is there perhaps something about some drugs that may actually be used in positive way? If a drug makes you desire to learn and want to be closer to God, is this necessarily a bad thing?

No, Kaz. Altered states are the domain of spiritist religions, and have big use within Satanism as well. They blur the consciousness so that when demons are manifesting the adherent thinks they may be simply part of the "trip," and they also lower their resistance to sin and suggestion as well.

Christianity - true Christianity anyway - requires one be "of sound mind," and thus aware of his surroundings at all times, so as not to be deluded or deceived by the enemy.

God bless,
- H

Kaz

Apr 18, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Don't get me wrong. I don't require drugs to be a Christian or get closer to God. I don't use anymore and my belief is as solid as steel. I guess I should have worded it better. If someone smokes a blunt for example, and all of a sudden decides they want to start painting pictures of Jesus or angels, is that necessarily a bad thing? If drugs are bad, but make you do good things, is that so bad?

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't get me wrong. I don't require drugs to be a Christian or get closer to God. I don't use anymore and my belief is as solid as steel. I guess I should have worded it better. If someone smokes a blunt and all of a sudden decides they want to start painting pictures of Jesus or angels, is that necessarily a bad thing? If drugs are bad, but make you do good things is that so bad?

I'm saying it's not the "channel" they want to be taking to get to the True and Living God. It's a channel generally reserved for opening oneself up to demonic spirits.

Kaz

Apr 18, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I'm saying it's not the "channel" they want to be taking to get to the True and Living God. It's a channel generally reserved for opening oneself up to demonic spirits.
I've always found natural growing weeds, herbs, fungi to be perplexing. God doesn't want us putting bad things into our bodies, but some naturally growing things like mushrooms and even nutmeg if you take enough can produce a highly euphoric, and sometimes very intense feelings of being closer to God. One time I took some shrooms and watched a documentary on the End Times. I was never so into something like that in my life. The part where it showed Jesus' return where he descended from the clouds, it felt like it was really happening. After that experience, I never did shrooms again, but the experience made me obsessed with End Times material. Why would something that is supposed to be bad for me, produce a greater interest in such an important topic?

Kaz

Apr 18, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Although there is no Scriptural verse prohibiting drug use, I am guided by my Bible Study leaders common refrain, “It’s all about God’s glory.”

How does doing drugs bring glory to God?
That's not what I was saying. Just forget it.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
... be "of sound mind," and thus aware of his surroundings at all times, so as not to be deluded or deceived by the enemy.

God bless,
- H

Agree- the Ears hearing and A Sound Mind begins the process of OF a man's willing Freewill Election to Hear Gods Truth, they can not unhear.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I noticed that on many occasions they would bring about a desire to be closer to and learn more about God.
Hallucinogens definitely bring people into closer communication with the spirit world. There are many accounts which indicate this. But not necessarily the one true and living God and Christ. Psychedelic drugs take them further afield. But at least for Christians, drugs should ne excluded from spiritual communication.

Kaz

Apr 18, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What a disrespectful picture of Christ .

Alright. We don't know each other very well, but I didn't join this forum to be judged.

Just because I use "Buddy Christ" as my avatar, does NOT mean that I mean ANY disrespect towards Him. You don't know me. You don't know what's in my heart. Jesus does, and that's all that matters to me. I've been through a lot of hard crap in my life like everyone else, and have never lost my faith, so if you don't like my avatar fine, but keep your comments to yourself.

Last edited:

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, Kaz. Altered states are the domain of spiritist religions, and have big use within Satanism as well. They blur the consciousness so that when demons are manifesting the adherent thinks they may be simply part of the "trip," and they also lower their resistance to sin and suggestion as well.

Christianity - true Christianity anyway - requires one be "of sound mind," and thus aware of his surroundings at all times, so as not to be deluded or deceived by the enemy.

God bless,
- H
I think that you're spot on with this post, but I know from my personal experience as a longtime "abuser" of cannabis that besides just enjoying euphoria, I was self medicating because of long term anxiety issues and emotional trauma caused by parental abuse, disciplinary abuses of catholic nuns, abuse from peers who loved intimidating a big kid with a timid personality, abuse from University educators for not accepting theory as fact, abuse from officers in the military threatened by intellect and skill, abuse from supervisors intimidated by my skills and fearful of my intentions, and over 20 years of abuse on line from both professing Christians and nonbelievers for disagreeing with them.
I've had one physician give prescriptions for anxiety meds which had serious side effects, and on the occasion that led to my separation and ultimately to my divorce, I was put on powerful "stabilizers" in a hospital ward to restore my brain chemistry to normal after 12 days of partial fasting and sleep deprivation during the feast of tabernacles which coincided with my birthday back in 2017. Those meds were so powerful that my physician had to ween me off them slowly after I was evaluated as "not crazy" (in the words of the resident psychiatrist on the ward) and released. I fainted in my brother's bathroom under the effect of one of those meds and a step in one direction could've opened my skull.
While I know that we should avoid breaking the laws and should "be of a sound mind", I've always thought it odd that the Lord often provided cannabis providentially for my times of great distress and anxiety (I received unexpected "gifts", I found lost bags and joints where I walked or sat on campus, I was befriended by students who "dealt" on campus and smoked with me regularly glad for my company.) God's grace is inexplicable and He clearly created natural plant remedies for many disorders. As far as I know He called them all good (weed is a misnomer for cannabis which can be found growing wild where it was once cultivated but doesn't have thorns, nor grows as thistles or brambles, and has been cultivated for religious uses for millennia.)
The scripture prohibits the use of sorcery under the law, and sorcery in the original language involves the use of drugs for the reasons you've already given, but also because these ancient mystical pharmacists gathered poisons for performing abortions and other murders. Strictly speaking, prescription pharmaceuticals are no different from naturally occurring drug substances. Like most natural things potentially harmful in our experience, God made them good, but we pervert His intentions through our abuse.

Last edited:

Yan

Jun 15, 2020
City of David
the-land-of-hope.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Indonesia
Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've always found natural growing weeds, herbs, fungi to be perplexing. God doesn't want us putting bad things into our bodies, but some naturally growing things like mushrooms and even nutmeg if you take enough can produce a highly euphoric, and sometimes very intense feelings of being closer to God.

This brings up an interesting point. When Jesus talked about the wheat and the tares, darnel (the modern name for tares) actually produces a type of delirium in people who eat it. It can cause hallucinations and a type of drunken state, and if consumed in enough quantity can cause death.

Just an aside for you there.
One time I took some shrooms and watched a documentary on the End Times. I was never so into something like that in my life.

LoL!
After that experience, I never did shrooms again, but the experience made me obsessed with End Times material. Why would something that is supposed to be bad for me, produce a greater interest in such an important topic?

That I can't answer for you, so I suppose I will withhold judgment. :)

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I so regret starting this thread.

Well sorry if I seemed disrespectful. I did some drugs when I was a kid, including some hallucinogens. So I understand what you are saying in a way.

The thing for me, though, is that I can't publicly condone it as a mature believer now. But I do say not to judge when someone has an experience like you did. I think God can move in even the strangest and most unorthodox of circumstances. :)

Reactions: Kaz

Kaz

Apr 18, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well sorry if I seemed disrespectful. I did some drugs when I was a kid, including some hallucinogens. So I understand what you are saying in a way.

The thing for me, though, is that I can't publicly condone it as a mature believer now. But I do say not to judge when someone has an experience like you did. I think God can move in even the strangest and most unorthodox of circumstances. :)
That's all I was saying.

Reactions: Hidden In Him