Dwell In His Presence?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"And Enoch walked with God, and he was not, for God took him." (Genesis 5:24)

This is not a condemning thread. I'm only looking for honest answers, and I will start with my own confession. Do you walk with God during the day, i.e. in your daily life? If so, how do you experience His Presence?

My primary means has always been through study and meditation of His word. He's had a habit of revealing things to me; revelations from His word that opened up great understanding to me, and shined light on additional passages of scripture, and expanded on truths He has already shown me. It is as if He is indeed talking to me on a personal level, and nothing excites me more.

The problem is, I go through seasons where I'm no longer into studying and meditation as much. During these seasons my time in the Presence of God suffers, so I am now trying to rededicate my life to making sure I walk with Him some every single day (haven't figured it out yet, but I am now trying).

So if you can, please share how you dwell in His Presence, and how you manage to maintain it.

Blessings in Christ,
Hidden in Him
I have had many "dry spells" so to speak...the way I deal with it is to just remind myself to not rely on my feelings as, I know He is always near to me. My prayer life can be scattered at times...start praying for a friend, then thoughts flit through and can break my concentration and start praying for someone else before I am even finished with the friend! That's when I think it's time to sit still, quiet my mind wait for His peace. Peaks and valleys...

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
then thoughts flit through and can break my concentration and start praying for someone else before I am even finished with the friend! That's when I think it's time to sit still, quiet my mind wait for His peace. Peaks and valleys...

I agree, I am sure we all do it from time to time.

I believe the difference is between what I call duty prayers (- "Oh I really need to have a prayer time ") and the passion from the Holy Spirit. When He is prompting us to pray for someone...He knows the who, what, where and why's of all things...
I believe God hears all prayer at whatever level they are all. He just like us to communicated whichever way we can...but when God instigated the prayer session I find the time zips by so fast and He directs the narrative.
I think the co-working with God is one one the wonders of our daily life. :)

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"And Enoch walked with God, and he was not, for God took him." (Genesis 5:24)

This is not a condemning thread. I'm only looking for honest answers, and I will start with my own confession. Do you walk with God during the day, i.e. in your daily life? If so, how do you experience His Presence?

My primary means has always been through study and meditation of His word. He's had a habit of revealing things to me; revelations from His word that opened up great understanding to me, and shined light on additional passages of scripture, and expanded on truths He has already shown me. It is as if He is indeed talking to me on a personal level, and nothing excites me more.

And nothing is required to get into His Presence when studying and meditating of His word, right?

The problem is, I go through seasons where I'm no longer into studying and meditation as much. During these seasons my time in the Presence of God suffers, so I am now trying to rededicate my life to making sure I walk with Him some every single day (haven't figured it out yet, but I am now trying).

So if you can, please share how you dwell in His Presence, and how you manage to maintain it.

Blessings in Christ,
Hidden in Him

As for maintaining dwelling in His Presence, I bear witness that He maintains it as promised through the forever indwelling Holy Spirit in us;

Matthew 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

As for abiding in Him, as you have shared earlier.. studying and meditating in His words as we apply faith in Him and His words; His promises to us, in helping us and enabling us to follow Him as the just can only live by faith in Jesus Christ in how we can follow Him by His power. It is not a supernatural experience but an experience of trusting the Lord for all things, including following and abiding in Him since we can do nothing without Him... ergo, He is with us always so we can...including when go astray.

BUT we are still in His Presence since Jesus Christ dwells in us for why we are called not to grieve the Holy Spirit within us. Ephesians 4:30

That is the Holy Spirit fulfilling His role as our Comforter by forever dwelling within us ( John 14:16-17,26 ) because there may be times when we may not abide in Jesus Christ but He is faithful to such a point that He still abides even in former believers. 2 Timothy 2:13

And because He still abides in former believers is why we are to even call them to go before that throne of grace to ask for help in discerning the lies that turned them away from Him ( 2 Timothy 2:18-21 ) or to know that they had fallen from faith so that they can lean on Him for help in departing from iniquity & delivered from dark forces in the heavenly realm that has taken believers & former believers in a snare of the devil. 2 Timothy 2:24-26

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree, I am sure we all do it from time to time.

I believe the difference is between what I call duty prayers (- "Oh I really need to have a prayer time ") and the passion from the Holy Spirit. When He is prompting us to pray for someone...He knows the who, what, where and why's of all things...
I believe God hears all prayer at whatever level they are all. He just like us to communicated whichever way we can...but when God instigated the prayer session I find the time zips by so fast and He directs the narrative.
I cannot wait to get there! It feels like when I make a particular time, if I miss that time-I feel guilty, and just awful. So then, I start to think I am making my 7AM or 3PM prayer time a law, lol! I do pray pretty much constantly in my head for many things...it seems that when I am driving, I get my best prayer and praise and worship...I do plan on starting to go to the lake shore and find a spot to pray as that has always been a serene setting-no dogs, no phone, no solicitors!!!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I cannot wait to get there! It feels like when I make a particular time, if I miss that time-I feel guilty, and just awful. So then, I start to think I am making my 7AM or 3PM prayer time a law, lol! I do pray pretty much constantly in my head for many things...it seems that when I am driving, I get my best prayer and praise and worship...I do plan on starting to go to the lake shore and find a spot to pray as that has always been a serene setting-no dogs, no phone, no solicitors!!!

Yes, the Enemy loves to make us feel guilty about our prayer life. He is the master of legalism!!
Legalism kills the prayer anointing quicker than anything.
"You need to read the bible more, and pray more" Its a killer unless we know the Voice who speaks it! :)

Like you...I always have a conversation going 24/7 with the Lord. It's the way to live. And, getting quiet and just focussing on Him is the joy of hearing the deeper communication...."The hidden Place" :)

My hubby is like you...he "lets it rip" when he is in the car...praise, prayer ..and shouts of joy! He often wonders what others think when at a stop light :D

Bless you..Helen

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, the Enemy loves to make us feel guilty about our prayer life. He is the master of legalism!!
Legalism kills the prayer anointing quicker than anything.
"You need to read the bible more, and pray more" Its a killer unless we know the Voice who speaks it! :)

Like you...I always have a conversation going 24/7 with the Lord. It's the way to live. And, getting quiet and just focussing on Him is the joy of hearing the deeper communication...."The hidden Place" :)

My hubby is like you...he "lets it rip" when he is in the car...praise, prayer ..and shouts of joy! He often wonders what others think when at a stop light :D
Bless you..Helen

Yes, I am recognizing satan's wiles more and more! He will NEVER get another moment of my life again-he took half of it already, no thanks!
Ahahaha---I do the same, top of my lungs! People DO look at me and I DON'T CARE!!!! ♥
I am jealous of my brother Matt...he get to sit at my Evangelical tent today, we have a big tent outside our Church with coffee, water, tracks, books and of course-prayer♥ It will be my place to do that when I get back which will be on a week from today! I a SOOO happy there is only 3.5 days left! I am even excited to go to my follow-up appts., lol...that has been my social life all summer...God has made it into a good thing though, He sent me here-this little forum has helped me immensely over these months and I want to thank all of you-now I have a larger family ♥

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
..but when God instigated the prayer session I find the time zips by so fast and He directs the narrative.

Absolutely, Helen. This is why when the Spirit prays through us things also get answered more quickly as well. He speaks that which is in line with His perfect will, speaking prayers that are exactly what the Father needs and wants to hear, and they get answered. (1 John 5:14).

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Wonderful post! Like your new avatar, btw. :)

I can assure you if I had a lake shore I would try to get there for prayer, Nancy. I just love the water. If I lived near a beach I'd be so happy. Maybe it will have to wait for Heaven.

About observing set hours of prayer, did you know that was actually a custom during New Testament times? You'll see verses like where it says Peter went up to pray at the ninth hour (3PM)" (Acts 10:9). Also, when they were in the upper room and Pentecost came it was the third hour (9AM), which was another hour of prayer (Acts 2:15). These verses suggest the early believers were observing the Jewish hours of prayer. It's not a law, but it's a good habit. :) I observe them sometimes, although it is not a habit that has stuck for me yet. But when you need to get back into a prayer habit that's one way to do it; by setting aside certain times on the clock. And any hours that are best for you are the ones to go with.

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wonderful post! Like your new avatar, btw. :)

I can assure you if I had a lake shore I would try to get there for prayer, Nancy. I just love the water. If I lived near a beach I'd be so happy. Maybe it will have to wait for Heaven.

About observing set hours of prayer, did you know that was actually a custom during New Testament times? You'll see verses like where it says Peter went up to pray at the ninth hour (3PM)" (Acts 10:9). Also, when they were in the upper room and Pentecost came it was the third hour (9AM), which was another hour of prayer (Acts 2:15). These verses suggest the early believers were observing the Jewish hours of prayer. It's not a law, but it's a good habit. :) I observe them sometimes, although it is not a habit that has stuck for me yet. But when you need to get back into a prayer habit that's one way to do it; by setting aside certain times on the clock. And any hours that are best for you are the ones to go with.

Interesting, did not think of those verses, Ty!
Yes, I agree! It is something I need to strive more at so I can make it a habit.
In Him,
-nancy

Last edited:
Reactions: Hidden In Him

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A part of me is rebelling against responding to this thread, but something else is leading me on so here it is:

To me this "dwelling in His presence" is what Jesus called being "in my name" or what we might call being "in His name".

"For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." Matt 18:20

The verse quoted above is just one of a multitude of verses found not only in the NT but also in the OT. How can we express exactly what it means? God can and does express it at times to us, but we are likely to have difficulty expressing to others who have never been there.

I have read all of the posts on this thread and it was quite a pleasant experience because others have been in his name as well.

Many people meet regularly to worship God and when they do they should really all be in His name to get what God wants us to get when we gather together. Without the "in His name" it is likely no more than a social gathering of people and it may be good, but it certainly falls short of the "very good" that God made in the beginning.

We can be alone with God and "in His name" with no other person present and perhaps that is not the same as it is when other people are present who are also in His name, but they are certainly related. The difference I see is on the one hand preparing as an individual to become a part of the Body of the Christ, while the other is working together with other parts to get to that "fitly joined together" place of which Paul wrote. It is all necessary in God's plan and for anyone who hopes to be part of the end of God's plan.

For me the "in His name" comes sometimes with difficulty and sometimes so easily. The difference there is in me. How hard or easy is it to surrender it all to Him? My habitual time is in the morning when I first get up. I'm always the early bird so my wife sleeps on as I go into my study [2nd bedroom of 2 bedroom apartment] to spend my time with Him. I have my Bibles right there and I begin always with what people call the Lord's prayer [Matt 6:9-13 plus verses 14-15]. Some will call this a vain repetition, but I do not read them vainly. I pray them carefully two or three times depending on the day of the week. Some days it is in two languages plus one and other days in three languages plus one. As I am reading I am always trying to concentrate on what the words are saying. I do the same thing with my regular Bible reading which follows the Lord's prayer. Before and after each chapter read I will also stop to simply talk [pray] to the Lord or to listen.

Where does the "in His name" come in? Anywhere and everywhere. For me it usually comes in an unknown tongue. My tongue directed by His Spirit. This is the "plus one" I mentioned above. This is my morning session. There are no other special times, but while I am on a Christian forum I will always look to prayer sub forums and pray for needs expressed there. When I read through or scan the threads/posts on the other sub forums I will also try to pray as I go. When I don't, I may speak when I should be silent or I may say something better left unsaid. During the course of my day I will sometimes pray as led to do so. Usually, if not always this is "in His name".

"In His name"? What is it? Where is it? Heaven! When not "in His name" I guess that sometimes I am in hell, but I don't go there as often as I once did. When in heaven, it may simply be first, but quite often I believe it is the second. I cannot say that I've been to 3rd but God is not finished with me yet.

Don't get worried about heaven here. For me from scripture there are three. See the tabernacle in the wilderness built according to God instructions to Moses. There is the outer court, the holy place and the holiest of holies. Of course there is a place outside of the outer court. The children of Israel lived there and always had to return there. But daily the sacrifices were being made for them and once a year the high priest entered that most holy place. Now we, everyone of us, can stay always in first heaven; we should be entering second heaven every day. As to third heaven... that is a place for those without sin.

Never mind all of the detail for every person may be different in the details for the Body of Christ consists of many parts with assorted functions... but all "in His name".

Last edited:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Lovely and uplifting post John ( @amadeus )

When I was reading " In His Name" what came to me was " Abide in Me."
His name is Jesus Christ....and when we abide in Him, we are hidden in Him..therefore IN Jesus Christ..which is His name.

Anyway, thats what came to me.

Great post.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lovely and uplifting post John ( @amadeus )

When I was reading " In His Name" what came to me was " Abide in Me."
His name is Jesus Christ....and when we abide in Him, we are hidden in Him..therefore IN Jesus Christ..which is His name.

Anyway, thats what came to me.

Great post.
Of course I have never been given a song to write, but I believe the great anointed writers of Christian songs have been "in His name" when they received what God has for them. Is there not an old song named "Abide With Me" and like there is another named "Abide In Me".

Reactions: Helen

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry to have come to this a bit late in the day...but I have been unwell for a few days. I have come on here and read, but with no concentration enough to post.

Okay..for 'me' it took a while.
Long story short. I told the Lord one day (1982 )that I loved Him, and by His wonderful salvation through Jesus Christ , I knew He loved us.
I told Him that on my "good day" I am aware of His felt presence...but when I am not doing quite so good I don't have that same consciousness of His love.
This was over some days...
I had come to understand His Grace...( that took months. In the word and in my heart I could see it, and kind or knew it... But I fluctuated. A measure of the law still caused a hole in my bucket...ie "do good, get good...do bad, get bad." )
So one morning I lay there and said Lord, Your word says that you love me.
Often I can't feel it, often I don't know your Presence. So, By faith, I will lay here and say " Lord I know that you love me, regardless "
Next morning I did the same. I did not feel His presence, but I took it by faith. Then at the end of the week I did the same and said- " I cannot feel Your love or your presence but by faith I believe it."

That was it...I had an over whelming sense of God presence...I felt the love of God. ( we've all been in wonderful worship services or anointed prayer where God's Holy Spirit takes over and anoints. ) That is how it was.

Since that day I have always been conscious of the love and presence of God. ( not in that mighty anointed way..but a confident deep knowing..)
I'm never unaware of Him with me.
Well I lie..."red face".
I had surgery in '05 it was a perfect surgery ...and the surgeon said so.
Two days later everything "went sideways". I was angry at God and told Him so. ( I told Him that He abandoned me..blah blah blah.. I sulked.
I wouldn't speak to Him. Needless to say it took me a long time before I could repent of that.
I was stuck in hospital for 10 days because of that.
When we are "off with God" one of us has to speak first...and it wasn't Him. :) He just waited until my disappointment and sulk was over...and I was ready to talk :)

So..except for that period of time...I am always conscious of Him. He is always 'very there' for me.
It starts by faith, and becomes a reality.
This is just a peaceful, wonderful confident consciousness that I am talking about here.....which is different from the times that we are before Him and He lifts us up into the rapturous hight's.

Thats my story anyway. :)
I love your post. Sometimes He is silent so we will stop walking by how our flesh feels or doesn't feel and walk by faith. Its similar to a baby being weaned from milk and made to eat dry bread. He knows when the time is right for each of us.