Error and Contradictions in the Bible

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia
Matthew 23:10
And do not be called teachers; for One is your Teacher, the Christ.

OOOH! Finally! Something to work on!

Explanation 1: Jesus was talking about the rulers of the day and how they were glory-seekers and hypocrites. Perhaps he was telling his disciples not to chase titles.

Explanation 2: Jesus could very well have been directing his disciples to reflect all praise and glory to the one who was their Teacher: Jesus.

Explanation 3: Jesus could have been talking about the ultimate Teacher, or the one from whom all was to originate. The apostles were not to make their OWN laws, but to merely pass on what Jesus had taught.

The apostles had ONE Teacher, Jesus, and they went on to TEACH others what they were TAUGHT by the Teacher. They were not teaching their OWN teachings, but they were teaching Jesus' teachings!

We all are teachers, whether we like it or not. The question is: What are we teaching? Are we teaching what the Teacher gave us? Or are we teaching our own gospel?

To say that Jesus is to be our ONLY teacher is incorrect. I am going out on a limb here and assuming that you are referring directly to Jesus. In that case you are wrong, because Jesus teaches us not just individually, but through his Word, the Bible, and through pastors, teachers, etc. You probably don't agree. In that case, tell me, how do you reconcile the fact that the Scriptures talk alot about teachers? If you insist that there is only who should teach us and who we should call teacher, how do you reconcile that?

Eph 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
Eph 4:12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

1Co 12:28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues

Act 13:1 Now there were in the church that was at Antioch certain prophets and teachers; as Barnabas, and Simeon that was called Niger, and Lucius of Cyrene, and Manaen, which had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul.

The facts point to the conclusion that there were teachers who taught the early church, and still do, and they WERE called teachers. Even worse for you, there is no evidence of them being reproved for being called teachers, etc, but we see the Holy Spirit moving in them! In that case, your assumption about Jesus' statement, "Call none teacher, for one is your teacher, Christ." is wrong. If you insist on being right, then have fun with the ramifications, because if that is the case (that your assumption is right) Acts, Timothy, Corinthians, and Ephesians are all NOT inspired of God! Which brings us to a whopping big question: Is ANY of it God-inspired? If so, WHICH?

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
No thanks... I'll just stick to Jesus Words being what Jesus said... I know Paul followed Christ but he himself said himself that he was imperfect... so I'll just stick with Jesus Words... since Jesus is perfect...

And besides... the Father didn't say, "This is my beloved Son hear Him but pretty soon Paul's going to come along and if anything Paul says disagrees with Jesus just go ahead and figure Jesus must have been mistaken or meant something different than what He said" haha... "He said this is my beloved Son hear Him"

The bottom line is Jesus said not to call anyone teacher but Him... I have no problem with that.. since He is God's Word... and since He is my foundation... it makes perfect sense...

John agrees...

1 John 2:27
But the anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will abide in Him.

I'm sure you'll have some explanation why I shouldn't believe John testifying to Jesus being the only teacher either... and that we're taught by the anointing we receive from Him... but it makes perfect sense to me... thanks to His Spirit in me who taught me it... which allows me to abide in Him... and be taught by Him...

I think it's amazing that you think Jesus could have meant anything except what He actually said because it disagrees with your religion... so trippy...

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia
No thanks... I'll just stick to Jesus Words being what Jesus said... I know Paul followed Christ but he himself said himself that he was imperfect... so I'll just stick with Jesus Words... since Jesus is perfect...

And besides... the Father didn't say, "This is my beloved Son hear Him but pretty soon Paul's going to come along and if anything Paul says disagrees with Jesus just go ahead and figure Jesus must have been mistaken or meant something different than what He said" haha... "He said this is my beloved Son hear Him"

The bottom line is Jesus said not to call anyone teacher but Him... I have no problem with that.. since He is God's Word... and since He is my foundation... it makes perfect sense...

John agrees...

1 John 2:27
But the anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will abide in Him.

I'm sure you'll have some explanation why I shouldn't believe John testifying to Jesus being the only teacher either... and that we're taught by the anointing we receive from Him... but it makes perfect sense to me... thanks to His Spirit in me who taught me it... which allows me to abide in Him... and be taught by Him...

I think it's amazing that you think Jesus could have meant anything except what He actually said because it disagrees with your religion... so trippy...

Obviously the implications haven't struck home. I doubt they ever will.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If what you say is correct, then I must be having one enormous brain overload! Perhaps I am so deluded that I'm seeing words that don't exist! :unsure:

1Ti_2:7 Whereunto I am ordained a preacher, and an apostle, (I speak the truth in Christ, and lie not;) a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and verity.

2Ti_1:11 Whereunto I am appointed a preacher, and an apostle, and a teacher of the Gentiles.

Paul said that he was a teacher of the Gentiles! Whoa!

Oh, I had a look at your claim that Jesus said that only he was to be our Teacher. I had enormous difficulty trying to find such a passage. I'll leave it to the addressee to work it out :)

And let me add to that list:

Eph 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
Eph 4:12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

1Co 12:28
And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

I agree that Jesus is the only teacher. But he did appoint others to teach for him. If they teach what Jesus taught (like the Bible does) it's the same as if Jesus were teaching you.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well one of the most blatant contradictions in the bible involves the idea of slavery. A good well educated friend and I have discussed this many times over the laws in exodus regarding the way a man should treat his slaves. The book talks about the value of a slave and the possibility of a slave sleeping with an owners daughter and some other confusing laws. Then Jesus talks a lot about humbling yourself and making yourself the least of your brothers. How can someone be humble and still have a slave to do all the dirty work ? Does not make sense, the only argument I have is that Jesus was sent to change the rules and that the old testament days were much different than the days of Jesus.

Hi Comm.Arnold,

Without having spent time recently on the topic, I remember things I've studied in the past about slavery in the Bible. The impression I got is that "slave" in the Bible weren't always (sometimes, but not always) the same thing we think of today. Given our U.S. history, we think of the autrocities brought on the Africans in the 1600's through the 1800's. They were captured like wild beasts and forced into work, or they were simply born into the system. That is terrible!

However, I'm sure since you and a friend studied the subject you came across the notion that the slaves of the Bible were often more along the lines of agreed servants, subjects of debtors prison or surfs. They owed money or couldn't make a living on their own so they agreed to work for a master to pay off their debt. Once they paid off their debt, they were free to go.

From the Laws listed in the OT, you see there was a year of Jubilee which allowed them to go scot free no matter what they owed. They could take it or remain to stay with their master. If they agreed, they could never have freedom again.

I do acknowledge forced slavery is in the Bible. Joseph the son of Jacob was one of them. That was a heinous act that Joseph accepted (that is, he accepted his fate and excelled at his job). However, "slavery" in the Bible isn't necessarily what we think of today.

That's my explanation for now, but it's worthy of continuing the conversation if I'm missing some details, which I suspect I am.

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
Well there's a contradiction for you then FHII... because John said we don't need anyone to teach us because the anointing we receive from Christ teaches us all things... and as we abide in that anointing and are taught by it... that's how we abide in Him... He doesn't say a man teaches us...

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
Me personally... I don't have trouble with that... nor does that damper my opinion of the testimonies to Christ that are in the book... probably because the anointing I've received is what tells me they're true... and not a man...

Personally while there's a lot of thing's I can relate to about Paul... and his struggles... there's also some things I don't agree with him on... is that so hard to believe? I mean didn't Paul himself brag about how he rebuked Peter? Even though Peter was the first to receive the revelation of Christ? and the Holy Spirit...

Like for instance forbidding women to speak... I mean... since in Christ we are all One and there is neither male nor female... isn't it a contradiction to say we are all one in Christ and that there is neither male no female and then to go on to say women aren't allowed to speak... since we are all One in Christ... isn't He forbidding Christ to speak? Or is there male and female in Christ... because if there's not male and female in Christ... then all should speak... as the Lord gives to each one...

BibleScribe

Jun 17, 2011
S.W. USA
Matthew 23:10 And do not be called teachers; for One is your Teacher, the Christ.

If no one minds, I'd like to reply to this:

1Cor. 14:26 says:

[sup]26[/sup]How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.

So I'd ask "Robbie" exactly how is it that someone bring a doctrine, if Jesus is the only one who teaches?

And of course he's already said the doesn't believe select the majority of Scripture. And his argument is that there is a ~contradiction~ as he has pointed out.

But then I'd explain that the answer to his dliemma is found in 1 Cor 14:29:

[sup]29[/sup]Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.

-- the difference being that we are NOT to follow any religious authority lock-step, but be independently connected with GOD through the HOLY SPIRIT.

So it turns out we are to have Apostles, Prophets, Evangelists, Pastors, and Teachers, -- but in all things we are to judge those influences against what the Holy Spirit confirms.

But this takes work, and religion is so much easier, because rules are established and boundaries are defined. The the fact is, Scripture DOES provide EXACTLY how GOD operates in our daily lives.

BibleScribe

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
So says Paul... but as I already pointed out... Jesus said not to call anyone Teacher but Him... so there is a contradiction...

And as I already responded to FHII concerning John's views... maybe you hadn't read that because you seemed not to acknowledge any of it... haha

"Well there's a contradiction for you then FHII... because John said we don't need anyone to teach us because the anointing we receive from Christ teaches us all things... and as we abide in that anointing and are taught by it... that's how we abide in Him... He doesn't say a man teaches us...

Me personally... I don't have trouble with that... nor does that damper my opinion of the testimonies to Christ that are in the book... probably because the anointing I've received is what tells me they're true... and not a man...

Personally while there's a lot of thing's I can relate to about Paul... and his struggles... there's also some things I don't agree with him on... is that so hard to believe? I mean didn't Paul himself brag about how he rebuked Peter? Even though Peter was the first to receive the revelation of Christ? and the Holy Spirit...

Like for instance forbidding women to speak... I mean... since in Christ we are all One and there is neither male nor female... isn't it a contradiction to say we are all one in Christ and that there is neither male no female and then to go on to say women aren't allowed to speak... since we are all One in Christ... isn't He forbidding Christ to speak? Or is there male and female in Christ... because if there's not male and female in Christ... then all should speak... as the Lord gives to each one...

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
On Judgment Day I'm sure we will clearly see the reasons for attacking the Bible are mainly because they don't like what God said. But they use the parts they like.

BibleScribe

Jun 17, 2011
S.W. USA
Amen, DB, Amen.

So to refresh this assessment:

I don't really care what it says in Corinthians...

Your statement is not a good omen. It's usually what people say when they are in rebellion against GOD, -- more typically expressed as ~"I only believe the words in red."~

Scripture is provided as GOD's Word to the Church, and if you don't like all of it, then I would propose you like none of it.

BibleScribe

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
Let me rephrase that... I don't care what it says in Corinthians when it contradicts Jesus... haha... Jesus is the foundation... John's in agreement with Jesus so it's all good... Paul isn't so I'm over it... Jesus is the perfect revelation of the Father and the Word of God manifested in the flesh... not Paul... when Paul is in agreement with Jesus I say amen... when Paul isn't in agreement I don't freak out and throw everything Paul says out.. I just take Paul at his own words... Paul wasn't yet perfected... and because he's not yet perfected I don't expect him to have everything right... on the other hand Jesus is the perfect revelation of the Father and the Word of God and He has everything right... it's funny that you try and exalt yourself over me as knowing it all... yet you don't even understand this simple truth... which is that Christ is the only foundation anyone should be building on... as Paul himself understood... no other foundation can we lay than Christ... not even Paul... or his letters...

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Let me rephrase that... I don't care what it says in Corinthians when it contradicts Jesus... haha... Jesus is the foundation... John's in agreement with Jesus so it's all good... Paul isn't so I'm over it...
Peter called ALL of Paul's letters Scriptures. Peter was taught by Jesus face to face for years.

2 Peter 3:15-16 (NKJV)
15 and consider that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation--as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, has written to you, 16 as also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which untaught and unstable people twist to their own destruction, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures.

Guess you are professing to know more than Peter and Paul. Or you think Jesus was a terrible teacher, Robbie? And you just also removed nearly half of the NT.

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
I'm probably not going to read any responses to this because I have the four people intent on accusing me hidden and they seem to be the only people interested in this topic... haha... but I thought I'd share this anyways...

I was reading Luke tonight and found another difference...

In luke 22 it says that satan entered Judas before the feast of unleavened bread...

In John 13 it says during the feast and after the bread was dripped satan entered Judas...

This doesn't trip me out because of how Luke began his whole written testimony... which was basically that he felt he had good enough understanding of the things that had happened because of the spoken testimony he had recieved... that he felt he was qualified to write an account himself... and I agree... the Spirit in me loves Luke's account... even if his account is slightly different from John's...

I'm not legalistic about the accounts... if one person says the rooster crowed twice and the other once I don't trip... because whether people's accounts are perfectly in align with each other or not is irrelevant... it's the Spirit in me that testifies to Christ... and no matter what differences or contradictions I might find in the bible... Jesus is true...

Thank you Father, Jesus and You're Spirit... You are One... you are the Truth!!!

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
robbie says

you need to take the culture into effect. in this time women were considered even lower than a dog. they were to be quiet and not seen. they were not educated, had very little mingling so when they heard about this new revelation they had questions because they had never heard anything like this before and they had lots of questions and instead of taking the time to answer all the questions they had paul told them to ask their husbands their questions when they get home and if their husbands don't know then they can go ask paul. paul did not have time to answer every question that they had and preach too and this is why the women were told to stay quiet in church so they don't disturb the service with all their questions.

BibleScribe

Jun 17, 2011
S.W. USA
Peter called ALL of Paul's letters Scriptures. Peter was taught by Jesus face to face for years.

2 Peter 3:15-16 (NKJV)
15 and consider that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation--as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, has written to you, 16 as also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which untaught and unstable people twist to their own destruction, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures.

Guess you are professing to know more than Peter and Paul. Or you think Jesus was a terrible teacher, Robbie? And you just also removed nearly half of the NT.

Hi 7angels,

Please note that "Robbie" cannot resolve what either is or isn't Scripture. This is evidence of an individual who is in rebellion against GOD. So do you really think you should follow his rabbit trails? Is he your "teacher", a ministry which he himself disdains? Or is this a double minded man, for which James 1:7 says is unstable in all his ways?

So I would first ask you, -- are you satisfied with the answer which Duckbill provided? And is so, then are you able to receive the answer you asked for? But even before asking this Forum, have you asked GOD? For that answer is clearly provided in Scripture.

BibleScribe

Comm.Arnold

Apr 7, 2011
Hi Comm.Arnold,

Without having spent time recently on the topic, I remember things I've studied in the past about slavery in the Bible. The impression I got is that "slave" in the Bible weren't always (sometimes, but not always) the same thing we think of today. Given our U.S. history, we think of the autrocities brought on the Africans in the 1600's through the 1800's. They were captured like wild beasts and forced into work, or they were simply born into the system. That is terrible!

However, I'm sure since you and a friend studied the subject you came across the notion that the slaves of the Bible were often more along the lines of agreed servants, subjects of debtors prison or surfs. They owed money or couldn't make a living on their own so they agreed to work for a master to pay off their debt. Once they paid off their debt, they were free to go.

From the Laws listed in the OT, you see there was a year of Jubilee which allowed them to go scot free no matter what they owed. They could take it or remain to stay with their master. If they agreed, they could never have freedom again.

I do acknowledge forced slavery is in the Bible. Joseph the son of Jacob was one of them. That was a heinous act that Joseph accepted (that is, he accepted his fate and excelled at his job). However, "slavery" in the Bible isn't necessarily what we think of today.

That's my explanation for now, but it's worthy of continuing the conversation if I'm missing some details, which I suspect I am.

I see this concept is somewhat of a middle eastern custom. Still doesn't really jive with the stuff Jesus was laying down but then again life costs money or we would all be at a barter house exchanging bread for shower curtains.

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
Thanks a lot for more false testimony against me biblescribe... just so you know it doesn't surprise me... I expect it...

I guess it's always easier to turn to insults and false accusations when you don't have an answer to give... so when was it that satan entered Judas again? haha

If you say anything else to me biblescribe and I don't respond just know it's because I'm adding you to my ever growing hidden list... I just really feel like the Lord's telling me not to waste my time or energy talking to people who are falsely accusing me... not only does it not really go anywhere... I run the risk of getting angry and reacting in a way that isn't pleasing to the Lord... so better for me to ignore you guys and cut off what might tempt me to sin... how you act is on you... I can only control myself...

And thanks Angel 7 for your reply... is there a place in the bible where it actually says that's why Paul said that? I've heard that same reasoning before but I've read the New Testament many times and I cant' remember Paul ever giving that explanation...

And what is your opinion about it personally? Are we all One in Christ and women have just as much right to speak as men because in Christ there is neither male or female or do you think women should keep silent because in Christ there is a difference between male and female?

Also... did you also have any perspective on what I pointed out about the differences in the accounts of when satan entered Judas?

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's really a shame that Robbie has decided to block 4 people (I assume I'm one of them) from himself. Its a shame that he won't be responding to those 4 people and won't read what they say. I worked hard to write up a response to his question concerning a supposed contradiction in the Bible. But, he probably won't even read it if I posted it and I assume he isn't reading this either. But it is a doozy!

Oh well.... Robbie's off listening to the voices inside his head, perhaps reading the Bible and making notes so when he actually meets God he can correct the Bible, and doing, well... Whatever a person like Robbie does.

Peradventure I'm not one of the 4 people Robbie doesn't want to listen to, I would advise him to add me to the list. What the Holy Spirit has to say through me (when I quote the Bible), he won't like nor accept. Really a shame.... Perhaps I'll post it anyways as I'm sure Ducky, Biblescribe, Groundzero, Rach and a few others would have enjoyed it. Perhaps even Aspen too! I'm really reaching, but I hope Fire 7 is still reading too.

But it's all for nought.... Robbie doesn't want to hear it. He's not going to hear it, because he's blocked our posts (yea, I believe that like I believe anything Bill Clinton has to say about sexual relations and what cheating is or isn't!)

BibleScribe

Jun 17, 2011
S.W. USA
... Robbie doesn't want to hear it. He's not going to hear it, because he's blocked our posts ...

Hey FHII,

I'm really not so concerned that someone won't listen to me, but it's serious when they won't listen to GOD. But Jesus didn't argue with Judas, he simply said: “What you are about to do, do quickly.” (Ref. John 13:27)

And so each makes their own decision, some to everlasting life, and some to everlasting shame and contempt. (Ref. Daniel 12:2)

BibleScribe

To All,

Please be aware that my observation regarding this individual is not intended as judging one individual to perdition, but simply an acknowledgment that if ANYONE should decline to receive the fullness of Scripture, then they are obviously having difficulty communing with the Holy Spirit, for HE confirms the TRUTH of Scripture to GOD's children.

As such, I would strongly encourage that (or any other) individual to either break through to receive that confirmation, or live a life which is less than full, -- and possibly lacking entirely.

BibleScribe