Escaping pride, vainglory, the pleasing of men, and hypocrisy

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

icxn

Oct 6, 2018
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The following essay is from this book. I decided to post it for three reasons. To confess my own captivity to these vices and warn others of the danger; like a traveler stuck in the mud warning passersby. To give an example of what it means “the law is spiritual,” and the whole of the Old Testament for that matter. And to show how beneficial it is to study the writings of the Saints that went before us (Hebrews 13:7-8).

It has been written in the book of Esdras:

"When the enemies of the tribe of Judah and Benjamin heard it, they came to find out what the sound of the trumpets meant. And they learned that those who had returned from the captivity were building the temple for the Lord God of Israel. So they approached Zerubbabel and Joshua, and the chiefs of the families, and said to them: “We will build together with you. For we, likewise, as you do, obey your Lord, and we have been sacrificing to Him ever since the days of Asbasareth, the king of the Assyrians, who brought us here.” Then Zerubbabel and Joshua and the chief of the families of Israel said to them: “It is not for us and you to build together a house unto the Lord God.” (LXX 1 Esdras 5:63-66)

What do these things mean, and what especially is the nature of the envy by which they refused to build together with them, seeing that they worshiped the same God?

Response by Saint Maximus

The name Judah when translated means "confession," and the meaning of this word is twofold. The first meaning is gratitude for good things that have been given. The second is a response to evil deeds that have come under censure and accusation. In other words, "confession" includes both the grateful acknowledgment of divine benefactions on the part of the beneficiaries, and the acknowledgment of evil deeds on the part of those who committed them. Both of these activities are productive of humility. This is because a person who is grateful for good things, as well as a person who is charged with accusations, are both equally humbled: the former because he judges himself unworthy of the gifts, the latter because he begs to receive forgiveness of his sins.

The name Benjamin, strictly translated from the Hebrew, means "mourning" or "lamentation of the mother," or "measure of the mother," or "son of the right hand," or "edification of the people." It follows that everyone who confesses according to one or the other of the ways mentioned above, belongs to the tribe of Judah. And everyone who mourns for the sake of virtue, or who, like a mother, has righteousness rightly measuring his life and words, or who, through his abundance of virtue and the outpouring of his teaching, becomes for many a way of salvation and edification, belongs to the tribe of Benjamin.

It is people such as these that Scripture recognizes, who have received their freedom from the captivity of the passions, and who have departed from their attachment to things of sense, and who are able, in their state of dispassion, to build a house for the Lord. By "house" I mean an intellect that is built up from various virtues and principles in the course of ascetic practice and contemplation, forming a "dwelling place of God in the Spirit."

The enemies of such people are the four nations that were relocated to the land of Israel under Asbasareth, the king of Assyria, for he was the first to settle men from Babylon, Cuthah, Hamath, and Ava, in the land of Israel. The Babylonians signify pride, and their name when translated means "confused mind." The men of Cuthah signify vainglory, turning their minds from virtue to fruitless conceit, for when translated their name means "to stand outside." The men of Hamath signify the vice of "pleasing men," for Hamath translated means "spectacle of visible things," and it is through this vice that the largest profits are distributed to those who superficially pursue virtue for the sake of men. The men of Ava, finally, signify the deceit of hypocrisy, for their name in translation means "serpentine," and like the first serpent they banish from the place of virtue those who, like Adam, have been deceived by their craftiness and hypocritical friendship. Asbasareth, who relocated these men to the land of Israel, means to "take captive from behind," which means "invisibly" or "secretly." He is clearly the devil, who does all things secretly with the aim of subjugating human nature, and he tightens the chains of each human being by means of his sins. He is the one who introduced into the land of Israel (I mean into the state of virtue and knowledge) the vices of pride, vainglory, the pleasing of men, and hypocrisy, yoking these vices to men of virtue and knowledge, so that he might nullify the labors of those who toil, sophistically diverting the goal of creatures to things other than their Cause.

And it was perhaps knowing that these demons closely follow virtuous human beings that the divine Apostle prevailed upon the Corinthians, saying that he was not among them "as one using words off flattery" - like a hypocrite, for perhaps they were thinking this about him - "nor as one seeking glory from men," as if he were vainglorious. But concerning pride he said nothing, for he possessed the obvious marks of humility, numberless persecutions, bodily sufferings, extreme poverty, and lack of skill in his speech, for "even if I am unskilled in speech," he says, "I am not unskilled in knowledge."

"When they heard the sound of the trumpet, they came to find out what the sound meant. And they learned that those who had returned from the captivity were building the temple for the Lord God of Israel." The "trumpets," the sound of which is heard by the unclean demons, are the words of virtue and knowledge. The "sound" of these words are works of virtue and the stability of ethical conduct among those who returned from vice to virtue, and who have ascended from ignorance to the knowledge of God.

"So they approached Zerubbabel and Joshua, and the chiefs of the families, and said to them: 'We will build together with you. For we likewise, as you do, obey your Lord, and we have been sacrificing to him."' Zerubbabel is the practical intellect, and Joshua is the contemplative intellect. The chiefs of the families are the powers of the soul, from which arise the modes of virtue and the principles of knowledge. It is these powers that the unclean demons of pride, vainglory, the pleasing of men, and hypocrisy approach and say: "We will build the house of the Lord together with you." For none of these wicked demons ever hinders the eagerness of a virtuous person. To the contrary, such demons deceptively minimize the deficiencies of one's virtues, and urge a person to increase his efforts, joining in eagerly with the work of the spiritual struggler, so that they might draw to themselves the whole of his mind, for when it has lost the balance of moderation it will be unaware that it is advancing in the wrong direction. This is why those evil men said: "For we likewise, as you do, obey your Lord." For the demons do not hate temperance, neither do they loathe fasting, or the distribution of wealth, or hospitality, or chanting, or reading, or the higher lessons, or sleeping on the ground, or keeping vigil-or any of the things that are characteristic of a life lived according to God-as long as they can twist the motivation and aim of these activities toward themselves. For the ascetic will perhaps quickly recognize other kinds of demons, and easily avoid suffering harm from them. But of these demons - who seem to cooperate with us on the way of virtue, and who wish, as it were, to help us in building the house of the Lord - what intellect, even from among the most highly advanced, can recognize their presence without the help of the "active and living Word, who penetrates through all things, even unto the division of soul and spirit?" Who, in other words, can recognize their presence without the Word, who knows which activities or thoughts are from the soul (that is, the natural forms or movements of the virtues) and which ones are spiritual (that is, those beyond nature, which are characteristic of God, and which are given to nature by grace)?

(...)

icxn

Oct 6, 2018
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(continued)

Who, I ask, can know this without the Word, who knows thoroughly the fitting or unfitting convergence of the "joints and marrow," that is, the modes of virtue to their spiritual principles, and who "judges the thoughts and intentions of the heart," that is, the hidden relationships between our words and our inner depth, and their invisible causes within the soul? What can be hidden from the Word, from whom "no creation is hidden," that is, among us, who think we escape His notice, for "all things are open and laid bare,'' and not only things we have already done and thought, but also what we will do and think? For perhaps the words "no creation is hidden" refer to our future actions and thoughts, and not merely to something that has already taken place, and which is already quite plain even to us. For it is hardly necessary for me to argue that God knows in advance all the infinite ages that have formerly existed, and that exist now, and that will exist, and by His nature grasps in advance the knowledge of the genesis of all things – a knowledge which He possesses within Himself, which He has acquired not from created things, but from Himself for He alone is the natural knowledge of beings in as much as He is the Cause of beings. Moreover, He is knowledge itself, in as much as He possesses knowledge of Himself by nature and not on the basis of causality. And He is established upon this according to the principle of His transcendent infinity, which wholly and infinitely transcends all things. This is because He is the creator of our own so-called knowledge, and He is absolutely unapproachable by any other kind of knowledge that we can express or even imagine.

Who, then, I ask, not having this Word dwelling within the depth of his heart, will be able to escape the hidden guile of the demonic hypocrisy aimed against us, and be able to stand wholly by himself without mingling with them, and build the house of the Lord after the manner of Zerubbabel and Joshua and the chiefs of the tribes? For in response to the deceptive spirits of pride, vainglory, the pleasing of men, and hypocrisy, they cry out in a loud voice: "It is not for us and you to build together a house unto the Lord God; for we alone will build a house for the Lord of Israel." They say this knowing that any intercourse with them will lead to the overthrow and destruction of the entire edifice, and will despoil the joy of the beauty of the divine offerings and adornments. For no one is able to build anything of beauty for the Lord if he has any of the above mentioned demons accompanying him in his virtue. This is because such a person, as he moves along the path of virtue, does not have God as his goal, but rather his own passions, which arise from his virtue. Thus it was not out of envy that those from the captivity did not permit the men of Babylon, Cuthah, Hamath, and Ava, to join them in the task of building the house of the Lord, but because they recognized the deceitful friendship of demonic malice, which uses the good secretly to bring about death through sin.

To the wicked spirits who invisibly approach us with their false spiritual friendship; and who say: "Let us build together with you the house of your Lord," let us always say: "It is not for us and you to build together a house unto the Lord our God; for we alone will build a house to the Lord of Israel." And we will do this alone, for having been freed from the spirits that wage war on those who are deficient in virtue, and having come out from among them, we have no wish to be roused by their empty extravagances, and so become entangled in them and suffer a fall even worse than the first time. For then there was the hope of an easy return through the forgiveness of our weakness, while now there is no such hope for us, or at best our return would be difficult, for we will be hated on account of our pride and for having created a good we imagined to be greater than what is truly good. And we will not in fact build this house alone, for in our good works we have as our helpers the holy angels, or rather God Himself, who is revealed within us by means of our works of righteousness, and who builds us up, and makes us His holy temple, free from every passion.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Both of these activities are productive of humility. This is because a person who is grateful for good things, as well as a person who is charged with accusations, are both equally humbled: the former because he judges himself unworthy of the gifts, the latter because he begs to receive forgiveness of his sins.

Questions concerning ‘seeing ye put it from you, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, lo, we turn to the Gentiles.’ Acts 13:45-48 But when the Jews saw the multitudes, they were filled with envy, and spake against those things which were spoken by Paul, contradicting and blaspheming. [46] Then Paul and Barnabas waxed bold, and said, It was necessary that the word of God should first have been spoken to you: but seeing ye put it from you, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, lo, we turn to the Gentiles. [47] For so hath the Lord commanded us, saying, I have set thee to be a light of the Gentiles, that thou shouldest be for salvation unto the ends of the earth. [48] And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed.

icxn

Oct 6, 2018
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Questions concerning ‘seeing ye put it from you, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life
The two are not related. Saint Maximus speaks of those who realize their unworthiness of Christ's gifts and are grateful for them (thus rendering themselves worthy). Whereas those Jews mentioned in what you quoted, are those who rejected Paul’s teaching and therefore rendered themselves unworthy of the gift of everlasting life.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do these things mean, and what especially is the nature of the envy by which they refused to build together with them, seeing that they worshiped the same God?
Struggling here. A lot of good insights but ‘The nature of envy by which they refused to build together with them’ and the ‘we build alone’
sounds like the Pharisees, therefore ‘For so hath the Lord commanded us, saying, I have set thee to be a light of the Gentiles, that thou shouldest be for salvation unto the ends of the earth

1 Corinthians 3:4-9 For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal? [5] Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man? [6] I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase. [7] So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase. [8] Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour. [9] For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building.

The two are not related. Saint Maximus speaks of those who realize their unworthiness of Christ's gifts and are grateful for them (thus rendering themselves worthy). Whereas those Jews mentioned in what you quoted, are those who rejected Paul’s teaching and therefore rendered themselves unworthy of the gift of everlasting life.

1 Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

I guess what I’m asking is regarding envy and the ‘we build alone’; we refuse to build together with them...’Which say, Stand by thyself, come not near to me; for I am holier than thou. These are a smoke in my nose, a fire that burneth all the day.’ Isaiah 65:5

Last edited:

icxn

Oct 6, 2018
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Struggling here. A lot of good insights but ‘The nature of envy by which they refused to build together with them’ and the ‘we build alone’
The person who posed the question perceived as envy* the refusal of Zerubbabel and Joshua to work with the Babylonians (allegorically, the demons of pride, vainglory, etc) in building the house of the Lord. Saint Maximus explains that it wasn’t out of envy, but rather because it is not proper to do the work of God with self-serving intentions (for vainglory). I’m going back and forth between the literal and allegorical meaning here – I hope that is not confusing.
1 Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
I don't follow. Is that in reference to the Jews who rejected Paul's teaching?

____
* In the Greek text the word φθόνος is used, which also means 'grudging' - a possibly better translation perhaps?

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who, then, I ask, not having this Word dwelling within the depth of his heart, will be able to escape the hidden guile of the demonic hypocrisy aimed against us, and be able to stand wholly by himself without mingling with them, and build the house of the Lord after the manner of Zerubbabel and Joshua and the chiefs of the tribes?
Wholly by himself, none at all, I think!

I am His, and He is mine!

OK . . . please excuse the description . . .

I'm in a bubble with Jesus, there's me, and there's Jesus, and that's all. And outside of that bubble are all the people I work with, and my computer I'm writing to you with, and all of you on this forum reading these words, and everone in my life. And all the things and circumstances too of course.

And no demon or man has any place in this bubble of Jesus and I.

Much love!

icxn

Oct 6, 2018
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And no demon or man has any place in this bubble of Jesus and I.
You say that now, in your (spiritual) prosperity, but as the psalm suggests, there will come a time when Christ will burst that bubble and you will be in trouble.

Psalm 30:6-7
And I said in my prosperity, I shall never be moved. O Lord, in thy good pleasure thou didst add strength to my beauty: but thou didst turn away thy face, and I was troubled.​

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You say that now, in your (spiritual) prosperity, but as the psalm suggests, there will come a time when Christ will burst that bubble and you will be in trouble.

Psalm 30:6-7
And I said in my prosperity, I shall never be moved. O Lord, in thy good pleasure thou didst add strength to my beauty: but thou didst turn away thy face, and I was troubled.​
I'm not saying that I'm not now, or I'll never be poor, or sick, or troubled.

Life's afflictions continue, but faith continues, and is strengthened.

Help of the helpless, O abide with me!

Much love!