The THREE DAYS of Christ.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is Easter weekend, the time Christians now celebrate Jesus going to the cross as an act of self-sacrifice to save the world from sin against God, and his resurrection from the dead, having conquered death.

Jesus died on the cross. He died on Friday, is said to have descended into the depths of the earth to save even those who had died before his coming, then rose again the "third day."

The "three days" and the "third day" are a repeated theme throughout much of the Bible. It is all a revealing prophecy--even for our own time--today.

The three-day term regarding the salvation of mankind takes shape in chapter 22 of the book of Genesis, where Abraham after God called to him and commandment him, took his only son Isaac up a mountain to sacrifice on an alter before God. It was a test, and a foreshadowing prophecy. On the "third day" Abraham proceeded to go ahead with the sacrificing of his son. But God intervened and provided a ram to sacrifice in Isaac's place.

Then in chapter 40 of Genesis, Joseph (son of Jacob aka Israel, son of Isaac, son of Abraham) while in prison gave an interpretation from God of the dreams God had given to the Cup Bearer and Baker of the Pharaoh of Egypt ("Pharaoh", meaning "great house"). Pharaoh's Cup Bearer received a dream of "three" branches, and his Baker received a dream of "three" baskets. Joseph interpreted each "three" to mean "three days." The "three branches" were a reference to those of a vine, meaning: Christ, "the true vine." The "three baskets" were a reference to "bread"--from heaven, which is the Word of God, again meaning: Christ.

The Cup Bearer then, after "three days" was returned to serving the "great house", and the Baker lost his head, meaning Christ was "cut off" (a prophecy confirmed by Daniel).

Fast forward to Jesus, who said among many references to the "three days", "I am the true vine" John 15:1, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.” John 2:19 (referring to the temple of his body), and "Behold, I cast out demons and perform cures today and tomorrow, and the third day I shall be perfected" Luke 13:32. And who was the "cup bearer" of God's wrath on the cross? Jesus the Christ.

Jesus being the "Head" of the Church is his "body", as the rest of scripture indicates, "today" in Jesus' statement above, is to be understood as the day of his coming to Israel, and "tomorrow" as his coming to all the other [gentile] nations and people. Which bring us up to the present, or "third day."

The "third day" is "that day of the Lord" repeatedly referred to in the scriptures as the day that everything is wrapped up and finished, the day of his and our deliverance. That day of which he said, "the third day I shall be perfected." "Perfected" here is a reference to Jesus saying, "you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect." Matthew 5:48.

Do things now seem "perfect?"

No, but it is coming...as the times of the gentile nations are coming to a close. As it is also written of these times:

The angel whom I saw standing on the sea and on the land raised up his hand to heaven and swore by Him who lives forever and ever, who created heaven and the things that are in it, the earth and the things that are in it, and the sea and the things that are in it, that there should be delay no longer, but in the days of the sounding of the seventh angel, when he is about to sound, the mystery of God would be finished, as He declared to His servants the prophets." Revelation 10:5-7​

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Jesus died on the cross. He died on Friday, is said to have descended into the depths of the earth to save even those who had died before his coming, then rose again the "third day."

Ah ScottA, do you believe that Christ died around 3 pm on the Friday of the Passover Feast?

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, seeking clarification of what you had posted that I had quoted.

Okay. Well, I do understand the confusion...days of preparation, evenings and mornings, the day of, the week of feasting, etc., but I don't prescribe to any of those issues. Rather that after all this time (and time being the illusion that it is), it is enough that Christ died and rose the third day.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
ScottA, this is the question that I asked: -

Ah ScottA, do you believe that Christ died around 3 pm on the Friday of the Passover Feast?

And you did not answer my question with this response: -

Okay. Well, I do understand the confusion...days of preparation, evenings and mornings, the day of, the week of feasting, etc., but I don't prescribe to any of those issues. Rather that after all this time (and time being the illusion that it is), it is enough that Christ died and rose the third day.

Can you please answer my original question and not submit an answer that deals with another aspect of the crucifixion.

Did Christ die at the ninth hour on the Friday?

A "yes" or a "no" will suffice to make it simpler for you.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ScottA, this is the question that I asked: -

And you did not answer my question with this response: -

Can you please answer my original question and not submit an answer that deals with another aspect of the crucifixion.

Did Christ die at the ninth hour on the Friday?

A "yes" or a "no" will suffice to make it simpler for you.

What do the scriptures say?

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What do the scriptures say?

It tells us that Christ died on the day of preparation before the day of the Passover Feast which was on the Friday of that year.

But this is what you stated in a post above.

But when you were asked to clarify your understanding, you wriggled around not wanting to provide an answer in light of your obvious mistake.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It tells us that Christ died on the day of preparation before the day of the Passover Feast which was on the Friday of that year.

But this is what you stated in a post above.

But when you were asked to clarify your understanding, you wriggled around not wanting to provide an answer in light of your obvious mistake.

What "mistake?"

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What "mistake?"

ScottA you know what you said and that it was wrong.

You claimed in the post above that Christ died on the Friday afternoon and not on the Thursday afternoon.

The scriptures confirm what I have pointed out to you.

You can go back into your hole now.

Goodbye

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ScottA you know what you said and that it was wrong.

You claimed in the post above that Christ died on the Friday afternoon and not on the Thursday afternoon.

The scriptures confirm what I have pointed out to you.

You can go back into your hole now.

Goodbye

Still venting your grudges, I see.

But, it was you who came out to make some todo of Jesus dying on Thursday as opposed to Friday. So, please, do elaborate your point.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Still venting your grudges, I see.

But, it was you who came out to make some to do of Jesus dying on Thursday as opposed to Friday. So, please, do elaborate your point.

@ScottA, for someone who considers themselves to be well versed in the scriptures, I should not have to expound on the Gospel records to you with respect to when Christ was crucified. However, the evidence can be found in these scriptures: - Matthew 27:62, Mark 15:42, Luke 23:54, John 19:14, John 19:31, John 19:42. But then I . . . . can only tell you a couple of times before there is no point in continuing this conversation further. Perhaps it would be good for you to expand your reading of the Gospel accounts further than just the listed verses provided.

Goodbye

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
there is no point

Yes, that's true.

You acted like you had a point to make; I asked you nicely what it was; had to ask again; but still you don't make any point, only mock.

Typical.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes, that's true.

Just following your example. Seems like you enjoy mocking rather than checking the referenced verse that I provided for you to verify if they were true.

Seems like you, ScottA, need no help from me because you are digging your own hole to fall into, all by yourself.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just following your example. Seems like you enjoy mocking rather than checking the referenced verse that I provided for you to verify if they were true.

Seems like you, ScottA, need no help from me because you are digging your own hole to fall into, all by yourself.

For the record: Still no point, only mocking.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is one who does not want the subject of this thread to be heard:

That we come now to the "great and terrible day of the Lord", and that "third day" that has been so much of prophecy.​

Jesus referred to "the third day" in his own life as a smaller example of what was, and is, and is to come (1, 2, 3). It was and is to be a day of His and our "perfection." But also as that "terrible day" when many who have and want no part in God succumb to His wrath and perish, while those who are decidedly His enter fully into His rest.

Many have taught and many have believed that it would all fall upon one final generation, which was, as foretold, a part of the "lie" causing "strong delusion" and "great apostacy." While, in truth, every generation has experienced a similar mix of the fallen nature of this world and the evidences of the existence of God, giving equal opportunity to all people to walk out or work out their own free will of deciding what their eternity shall be.

Which, then, makes this generation no different in one respect, accurately defined "as the days of Noah" of "eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage." Except--there indeed comes a last generation. This is that generation.

"Then comes the end."

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There is one who does not want the subject of this thread to be heard:

ScottA, your message was lost in the second paragraph of your OP. You held to tradition whereas I was suggesting that the tradition that you were holding up was in error.

All that you needed to respond with was, "Yes, I have made a mistake." Christ actually died on the Day of Preparation at the 9th hour before the start of the Friday Passover as recorded in the Scriptures, but your pride would not let you admit that you had erred on such a simple mistake/misunderstanding, and you arrogantly tried to establish that I was in error when I said that Christ died on the Thursday's Day of Preparation of the Passover feast when the Passover Lamb was killed for the feast and then cooked.

I would have been happy if you had admitted that you had made a mistake and then left it at that, but no you suggested that my question was a "trick question."
Trick question? What's your point?
and
What "mistake?"

Scott, I basically had no issues with the rest of your post, but your desire to make me the bad guy, irked me, and when I presented the scripture references that demonstrated that Christ did actually die on the Day of Preparation on the Thursday Afternoon around the nineth Hour, you claimed that I had not been able to back up my claim.
However, the evidence can be found in these scriptures: - Matthew 27:62, Mark 15:42, Luke 23:54, John 19:14, John 19:31, John 19:42.

For Example: -
Matthew 27:62-64: - 62 The next day, the one after Preparation Day, the chief priests and Pharisees assembled before Pilate. 63 “Sir,” they said, “we remember that while He was alive that deceiver said, ‘After three days I will rise again.’ 64 So give the order that the tomb be secured until the third day. Otherwise, His disciples may come and steal Him away and tell the people He has risen from the dead. And this last deception would be worse than the first.”

These few verses fly in the face of what you were attempting to present.

But you claimed: -
You acted like you had a point to make; I asked you nicely what it was; had to ask again; but still you don't make any point, only mock.

Scatt you made yourself out to be the victim, but the reality was that you were the victim of your own pride.

Why do you not want to admit that you had made a mistake in the OP. Thanked me for pointing out your mistake and gone back and corrected that mistake and I would have happily removed my post highlighting your error. but now let all of the posts above stand.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ScottA, your message was lost in the second paragraph of your OP. You held to tradition whereas I was suggesting that the tradition that you were holding up was in error.

All that you needed to respond with was, "Yes, I have made a mistake." Christ actually died on the Day of Preparation at the 9th hour before the start of the Friday Passover as recorded in the Scriptures, but your pride would not let you admit that you had erred on such a simple mistake/misunderstanding, and you arrogantly tried to establish that I was in error when I said that Christ died on the Thursday's Day of Preparation of the Passover feast when the Passover Lamb was killed for the feast and then cooked.

I would have been happy if you had admitted that you had made a mistake and then left it at that, but no you suggested that my question was a "trick question."

and

Scott, I basically had no issues with the rest of your post, but your desire to make me the bad guy, irked me, and when I presented the scripture references that demonstrated that Christ did actually die on the Day of Preparation on the Thursday Afternoon around the nineth Hour, you claimed that I had not been able to back up my claim.

For Example: -
Matthew 27:62-64: - 62 The next day, the one after Preparation Day, the chief priests and Pharisees assembled before Pilate. 63 “Sir,” they said, “we remember that while He was alive that deceiver said, ‘After three days I will rise again.’ 64 So give the order that the tomb be secured until the third day. Otherwise, His disciples may come and steal Him away and tell the people He has risen from the dead. And this last deception would be worse than the first.”

These few verses fly in the face of what you were attempting to present.

But you claimed: -

Scatt you made yourself out to be the victim, but the reality was that you were the victim of your own pride.

Why do you not want to admit that you had made a mistake in the OP. Thanked me for pointing out your mistake and gone back and corrected that mistake and I would have happily removed my post highlighting your error. but now let all of the posts above stand.

Woe to you lawyers (who can't even count)!

He did not say "three evenings and mornings", but "three days." --"God called the light Day." Genesis 1:5

The error is yours, and your own words of condemnation are the measure you yourself shall receive.

Last edited:

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Woe to you lawyers (who can't even count)!

He did not say "three evenings and mornings", but "three days." --"God called the light Day." Genesis 1:5

The error is yours, and your own words of condemnation are the measure you yourself shall receive.

Sorry, ScottA, if you were quoting what I had posted, I would have been happy to admit it, but I had not quoted Matthew 12:40 in my posts above. Your wriggle room is diminishing in trying to paint a false picture of what I have posted in this thread.

because of your stubborn refusal to admitting to an error in the OP re the actual day on which the Lord died around the ninth hour, this toing and throwing is going nowhere. I await your correction in your OP where the original error occurred on your part.

I will see you around like a raw prawn on a hot rock.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
FAQ: When was Jesus "in the spirit" per 1Pet 3:18-20?

REPLY: In the days of Noah.

"He went and made proclamation to the spirits now in prison, who once were
disobedient, when the patience of God kept waiting in the days of Noah,
during the construction of the ark."

FAQ: How so?

REPLY: By means of Yahweh's spirit. (Gen 6:3)

FAQ: Was his preaching via Yahweh's spirit direct?

REPLY: Christ communicated indirectly, viz: by means of an inspired man.

"Noah . . a preacher of righteousness" (2Pet 2:5)

FAQ: Has Noah been the only inspired man to ever channel the spirit of Christ?

REPLY: There've been others.

"Concerning this salvation, the prophets, who spoke of the grace that was to
come to you, searched intently and with the greatest care, trying to find out
the time and circumstances to which the Spirit of Christ in them was
pointing when he predicted the sufferings of Christ and the glories that
would follow." (1Pet 1:10-11)

FAQ: Are you suggesting Yahweh's spirit, and the spirit of Christ, are one and
the same spirit?

REPLY: Yes.
_

Last edited: