Evangelical Anglicans

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Evangelical Anglican?

That's an oxymoron if ever I heard one.

I was told once that all this yapping about Jesus and being saved had no place in the Anglican church or in a priest's duties.

That was from a bishop, dear reader.

"Don't you know," he said, "that the priesthood is just a job?"

That little bit of enlightenment was offered to me after I put in seven years of work and study.

The truth is that evangelism is good for the soul; yours as well as the lost.

If you are an Anglican and feel called to evangelism, you would be well advised to find spiritual support elsewhere.

Tehilah BaAretz

Apr 19, 2011
Jerusalem, Israel
I've had the privilege of guiding some tour groups of Evangelical Anglicans from Thunder Bay, Canada. Actually, I think at least one of the groups was Charismatic. It's nice to know that God is not limited by denominational boundaries.

Jae

May 14, 2011
I hope no-one minds me asking this question but ... how would you define evangelical? Not sure if I could say if I'm an Evangelical Anglican without understanding better what's meant by this term.

deanrobertsnet

May 15, 2011
Cardiff, UK
Evangelical Anglican?

That's an oxymoron if ever I heard one.

I was told once that all this yapping about Jesus and being saved had no place in the Anglican church or in a priest's duties.

That was from a bishop, dear reader.

"Don't you know," he said, "that the priesthood is just a job?"

That little bit of enlightenment was offered to me after I put in seven years of work and study.

The truth is that evangelism is good for the soul; yours as well as the lost.

If you are an Anglican and feel called to evangelism, you would be well advised to find spiritual support elsewhere.

Completely disagree. Priesthood being a job? Well that makes me feel sick to the back teeth. All Anglicans should be Evangelical. I'm glad I belong to an Evangelical Anglican church. Jesus is the main thing, and Im keen on sticking to that

I hope no-one minds me asking this question but ... how would you define evangelical? Not sure if I could say if I'm an Evangelical Anglican without understanding better what's meant by this term.

Justification by faith and just being all about Jesus and what he's done for us!

Other terms are Gospel Christians, Bible Believing, etc.

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
I'm an Anglican but I'm more a a sacramental, having more in common with Roman Catholic belief and tradition than my evangelical brethren.

I don't know if your talking specifically about members of the Episcopal Church of the United States, the Church of England or the Anglican Communion in general but from my experience, those Anglcian i know who claim to be Evangelicals are nothing like the Evangelcials that you ahve in America. Most of them believe in evolution, do not take scripture litterally and still adhere for the most part to liturgical traditions which they don't always believe are neccessary but but do because of cannon law for example. I worshipped for 18 months in a Parish that called its self Evangelical and by Anglican standards it was, though in comparison to other churches it seemed most similar to the more liberal methodists and soem baptists. This church had an impressive colelction of stained glass but had no liturgical coloursl, no crucifix, no tabernacle, no stoup and during communion they used ordinary bread and wine instead of waifers and communion wine. Howeve, in the service, they used the Common Worship liturgy and the Book of COmmon prayer but never mentioned feast days except for the big ones liek Easter and Christmas and even then I can remember Easter communion being celebrated much the same as it would any other Sunday.

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Completely disagree. Priesthood being a job? Well that makes me feel sick to the back teeth. All Anglicans should be Evangelical. I'm glad I belong to an Evangelical Anglican church. Jesus is the main thing, and Im keen on sticking to that

Justification by faith and just being all about Jesus and what he's done for us!

Other terms are Gospel Christians, Bible Believing, etc.

Completely disagree? You're preaching to the choir brother. As for it making you sick to the back teeth, I can tell you that it depressed me severly. People I worked with and trusted for years mentally and spiritually violated me and robbed me. Never again will I trust a man because of his religious affiliation.

So I went out and bought a new car and used it to drive away from those losers. I swore an oath to never set foot in one of their churches again.

If you are participating in a communion that allows and encourages evangelism, then you are more fortunate than you know.
It is not so everywhere. Believe me.
Count your blessings dear sir, because you got 'em.

....and if you find yourself supported by the people who call you brother, then be free to do the Lord's work as you see the need.
May God bless you and cause your work to bear much fruit.

I'm an Anglican but I'm more a a sacramental, having more in common with Roman Catholic belief and tradition than my evangelical brethren.

I don't know if your talking specifically about members of the Episcopal Church of the United States, the Church of England or the Anglican Communion in general but from my experience, those Anglcian i know who claim to be Evangelicals are nothing like the Evangelcials that you ahve in America. Most of them believe in evolution, do not take scripture litterally and still adhere for the most part to liturgical traditions which they don't always believe are neccessary but but do because of cannon law for example. I worshipped for 18 months in a Parish that called its self Evangelical and by Anglican standards it was, though in comparison to other churches it seemed most similar to the more liberal methodists and soem baptists. This church had an impressive colelction of stained glass but had no liturgical coloursl, no crucifix, no tabernacle, no stoup and during communion they used ordinary bread and wine instead of waifers and communion wine. Howeve, in the service, they used the Common Worship liturgy and the Book of COmmon prayer but never mentioned feast days except for the big ones liek Easter and Christmas and even then I can remember Easter communion being celebrated much the same as it would any other Sunday.

All well and good, but how many young people are communicants?
By that I mean working age young people; twenty-ish.
How many young families with young children?

Liturgy and sacraments and political beliefs about dead animals notwithstanding, the number of active attending members of a congregation are the true test of faith in action. That's where the rubber meets the road, so to speak. Bread, wafers, prayer books and colored robes are all trappings of religious celebration and particular tradition. That is all well and good, but if there is no young blood in the crowd the whole thing is dead. That in fact is the condition of the Episcopal church in America who count themselves part of the Anglican communion (and every week they are counted less in number).

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
Our church does have a lot of young peopel but not in the Sunday service. They go to Youth chruch groups held on Fridays. So if you count them as part of our congregation and we do, then I'd say about a third of chruch members in my parish are under 20.

Now for the sad news; on Sunday services I'm the youngest communicant and I'm 30, there is a guy who is younger than me but he hasn't been confirmed so he doesn't commune even though he is allowed. Anyone not familiar with this tradition should not that prior to 2006 you had to be confirmed to recieve COmmunion in the church of England. I don't know if this is the same in ECUSA.

Btw, ECUSA do not just claim to be in the AC, they are in the AC, so its not a matter for debate.

I'm a bit confused about what yous aid about liturgy, you see some Anglicans like me can't get enough of it, we're very Catholic in that way but there are those who do what the diocese requires of them and don't go any further, so their use of liturgy is minimal. Now there is a third group called "Fresh expressions." This is a separate group that exists within the church of England and I think in the Methodist church too, thatis mission focussed and particularly on evangelising young people, mostly young families or wayward teenagers, they run things that aren't churchy at all but at the same time open people's eyes to Christianity and it can often be a stepping stone to help people get a foot through the portal (church door). I'll give you a few examples; there is a messy church, Liquid worship, an outdoor adventure church, a bmx church and lots of cafe chruches.. The group that our parish runs is called Good Friday and it does good work with Youths, and it has led to some of them getting baptised and confirmed.