Evangelicals and the Sabbath

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
88369605_10219443187184168_921663977010757632_n.jpg

Reactions: marksman

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
And I think the greatest weakness in the church today is its strongest characteristic, its pride and hatred, because the two don't come separate but with their regular attendant and unifier, contempt for Scripture. How beautiful exemplars have we seen already on this thread!

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
@mjrhealth , @marksman , @Paul Christensen
Can anyone one of you tell me, why in the world that you are wasting your time with this hot air baffoon, namely @GerhardEbersoehn ?
Has anyone of you been able to decipher his gibberish, and deluded nonsense, I can't???
Maybe someone at church got up his nose at one stage and he is taking it on every other church ever since. I once worked with a school principal who said he was an atheist because of all the hypocrites in churches. Actually it is a convenient nail to hang one's hat on to try and justify one's stance, when the real reason is that he did something at church that required correction from the church leaders, but was too arrogant and rebellious to accept it and walked out. I suspect that the school principal afore mentioned who was a professing Christian, might have had an adulterous affair which affected his marriage, and the church leaders tried to get him to see that he was sinning and should end the affair. Possibly he refused to end the affair, divorced his wife and married the other woman, causing the leaders of the church to ask him to leave.

I can understand a young person deserting the church after being molested by a pedaphile priest, but even then, the person needs to see that just because one priest is a demonised pervert who can't keep it in his pants, doesn't mean that all priests are like him.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I was talking about Gentiles who came to Christ and who did not fellowship with Jews in their Synagogues. It is through Gentile believers that worship on Sunday started. I am well aware that Jewish Christians did worship in the Synagogue on Saturdays, until many of them were thrown out because of their Christian faith.

Yes, I concur with you that it was probably Constantine who made Sunday worship official for the Christian church.

By the way, I am not a Jew, but a Gentile believer, so the Mosaic Law doesn't and has never applied to me at all.

We need to note that Paul encountered Jewish "apostles" who came from Jerusalem to the Galatian churches and taught that the Gentile believers there needed to be circumcised and comply with Mosaic Law in order to be saved. In other words, they would have to adopt a Jewish identity to be truly saved. Paul treated these "apostles" as totally false, "bewitching" the churches to depart from their original faith in Christ, and that they were preaching a false gospel that had the curse of God on it.

So, I can't see how First Century Gentile believers would want to go and worship in Jewish synagogues, and how the Jews would want to have them mix with them. The Jews would have seen Gentiles coming into their synagogues as totally unclean and would not have allowed them to bring corruption in among them.

There is two glaring errors in your comment. The first one is that you claim the Gentile believers did not fellowship with the Jews. Where does it say that in scripture?

And two your claim that the mosaic law does not apply to you. That being the case you are saying that you don't need to love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, etc etc.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Maybe someone at church got up his nose at one stage and he is taking it on every other church ever since. I once worked with a school principal who said he was an atheist because of all the hypocrites in churches. Actually it is a convenient nail to hang one's hat on to try and justify one's stance, when the real reason is that he did something at church that required correction from the church leaders, but was too arrogant and rebellious to accept it and walked out. I suspect that the school principal afore mentioned who was a professing Christian, might have had an adulterous affair which affected his marriage, and the church leaders tried to get him to see that he was sinning and should end the affair. Possibly he refused to end the affair, divorced his wife and married the other woman, causing the leaders of the church to ask him to leave.

I can understand a young person deserting the church after being molested by a pedaphile priest, but even then, the person needs to see that just because one priest is a demonised pervert who can't keep it in his pants, doesn't mean that all priests are like him.
Could be argued that he's suffering from some sort of, self inflicted trauma.
Or, it could be that he's just a puffed-up simpleton?
Either way, I see what you mean, there does seem to be an axe to grind?

Reactions: Paul Christensen

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Unashamedly Evangelical! Wave Scripture, history, fact and Truth! Bless Scripture!

But I if ONLY i, will not keep quiet for you or anyone, so help me, God! Therefore, AGAIN, TAKE THIS IF YOU CAN, TAKE SCRIPTURE and stop your prattle!

“On the Sabbath…” in Acts 13

“They went into the Gathering and sat down (in worship) on the Day of the Sabbath

14ἐλθόντες εἰς τὴν συναγωγὴν τῇ ἡμέρᾳ τῶν σαββάτων ἐκάθισαν.

“Paul stood up and waiving the hand (like once Moses before the Red Sea) spoke (in worship)…

16ἀναστὰς δὲ Παῦλος καὶ κατασείσας τῇ χειρὶ εἶπεν

“We declare unto you The Good News declared before our ancestors

32ἡμεῖς ὑμᾶς εὐαγγελιζόμεθ τὴν πρὸς τοὺς πατέρας

“the same Gospel / Promise having come / been fulfilled

ἐπαγγελίαν γενομένην

the same Gospel God hath fulfilled unto us their children

33ὅτι ταύτην ὁ Θεὸς ἐκπεπλήρωκεν τοῖς τέκνοις ἡμῶν

“in that He hath raised up Jesus

ἀναστήσας Ἰησοῦν,

The Word of Salvation, The Word is sent forth and proclaimed

26ἡμῖν ὁ λόγος τῆς σωτηρίας ταύτης ἐξαπεστάλη

ON EVERY SABBATH EVERYWHERE EVERYONE GATHERED TO HEAR THE WORD OF GOD

44Τῷ σαββάτῳ πᾶσα συνήχθη ἀκοῦσαι τὸν λόγον τοῦ Θεοῦ.

“and the Voice of the Prophets ON EVERY SABBATH EVERYWHERE was made heard ANEW

27καὶ τὰς φωνὰς τῶν προφητῶν τὰς κατὰ πᾶν σάββατον ἀναγινωσκομένας

On the Sabbath .. Paul and Barnabas PREACHED BOLDLY indeed, saying

44Τῷ δὲ σαββάτῳ .. 46παρρησιασάμενοί τε ὁ Παῦλος καὶ ὁ Βαρνάβας

“It was obligatory to speak / preach the WORD OF GOD to you (Jews) first*

εἶπαν Ὑμῖν ἦν ἀναγκαῖον πρῶτον λαληθῆναι τὸν λόγον τοῦ Θεοῦ·

“since you REJECTED it and judged yourself not WORTHY OF ETERNAL LIFE (we preach)

ἐπειδὴ ἀπωθεῖσθε αὐτὸν καὶ οὐκ ἀξίους κρίνετε ἑαυτοὺς τῆς αἰωνίου ζωῆς,

Behold henceforth we PROCLAIM it to (all) the NATIONS (Gentiles).

ἰδοὺ στρεφόμεθα εἰς τὰ ἔθνη (45 τοὺς ὄχλους).

For so hath the Lord (Jesus) commanded / entitled us ..

47οὕτως γὰρ ἐντέταλται ἡμῖν ὁ Κύριος

“I have set thee to be a light of the Gentiles that

τέθεικά σε εἰς φῶς ἐθνῶν τοῦ εἶναί

“thou shoudest be for salvation unto the ends of the earth.

σε εἰς σωτηρίαν ἕως ἐσχάτου τῆς γῆς.

(Isaiah 42:6; 49:6; 51:4 2Corinthians 4:6 Ephesian 5:14 Isaiah 58:8-14)

*first – v42 Day of Judgment “in-between-sabbath”

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Reactions: mailmandan

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
There is two glaring errors in your comment. The first one is that you claim the Gentile believers did not fellowship with the Jews. Where does it say that in scripture?

And two your claim that the mosaic law does not apply to you. That being the case you are saying that you don't need to love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, etc etc.
It means that I abide by the law of the Spirit of life in Christ written on the fleshly tables of my heart, than to follow a set of external rules that lead only to self-righteousness.

If you want a reliable answer to your first point, why not ask an orthodox Jew whether Gentiles who have not converted to Judaism would be welcome to join in the worship in their synagogue.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@mjrhealth , @marksman , @Paul Christensen
Can anyone one of you tell me, why in the world that you are wasting your time with this hot air baffoon, namely @GerhardEbersoehn ?
Has anyone of you been able to decipher his gibberish, and deluded nonsense, I can't???
oh hes being in about ut forever, i did not know you coild turn a day into an idol, apparently you can.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It means that I abide by the law of the Spirit of life in Christ written on the fleshly tables of my heart, than to follow a set of external rules that lead only to self-righteousness.

If you want a reliable answer to your first point, why not ask an orthodox Jew whether Gentiles who have not converted to Judaism would be welcome to join in the worship in their synagogue.

And Jesus said he had come to fulfill the law. What do you make of that?

We are not talking about gentiles that have not converted to Judaism. We are talking about Jews and Gentile that had converted to "The Way" as it was known.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
oh hes being in about ut forever, i did not know you coild turn a day into an idol, apparently you can.
Well, I expect that many things are imaginable in his world, but are they feasible, plausible, or Biblical, ...I can't imagine!

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I was talking about Gentiles who came to Christ and who did not fellowship with Jews in their Synagogues. It is through Gentile believers that worship on Sunday started. I am well aware that Jewish Christians did worship in the Synagogue on Saturdays, until many of them were thrown out because of their Christian faith.

Yes, I concur with you that it was probably Constantine who made Sunday worship official for the Christian church.

By the way, I am not a Jew, but a Gentile believer, so the Mosaic Law doesn't and has never applied to me at all.

We need to note that Paul encountered Jewish "apostles" who came from Jerusalem to the Galatian churches and taught that the Gentile believers there needed to be circumcised and comply with Mosaic Law in order to be saved. In other words, they would have to adopt a Jewish identity to be truly saved. Paul treated these "apostles" as totally false, "bewitching" the churches to depart from their original faith in Christ, and that they were preaching a false gospel that had the curse of God on it.

So, I can't see how First Century Gentile believers would want to go and worship in Jewish synagogues, and how the Jews would want to have them mix with them. The Jews would have seen Gentiles coming into their synagogues as totally unclean and would not have allowed them to bring corruption in among them.

This just as well could have come out of one of John MacArthur's sermons on the Sabbath. It's so flawed and stale and tasteless and like the Sahara desert devoid of Living Water of The Word not even a thorn to prick one in the foot, could grow in its forever on stretching dunes of dust ideas and suffocating words.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
To Whom It May Concern, FYI:
  1. The Law Reveals Sin:
    Rom 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
  2. The Law Cannot Justify:
    Gal 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
  3. The Law Leads To Christ:
    Gal 3:24-25
    (24) Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
    (25) But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.
  4. The Law Is Eternal:
    Luk 16:17 And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail.
  5. The Law Was Made Weak Through The Flesh:
    Rom 8:3-4
    (3) For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
    (4) That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
  6. The Law Was Fulfilled In Christ:
    Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
  7. The Law Ends In Christ:
    Rom 10:4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believes.
  8. The Law Does Not Rule Over Those Under Grace:
    Rom 6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for you are not under the law, but under grace.
  9. The Law Is Written On The Hearts Of Gentiles Who Do By Nature What It Requires, They Being A Law Unto Themselves:
    Rom 2:13-15
    (13) ( For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.
    (14) For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
    (15) Which show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another )
Thankyou for your attention to these details...

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hypocrite, don't pretend and say you 'can't', because you, <DBN>, 'deciphered' my 'gibberish' and found it <<deluded nonsense>>.
Actually, it was the attitude that I deciphered as deluded, seriously. Thus, i anticipate that the rest is just nonsense (as where there is vanity, folly is close at hand).

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
The Law Ends In Christ:
Rom 10:4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believes.

If the Law ends in Christ, it, in Christ, continues.
Now this discussion being about the Evangelicals and the Sabbath, If the Sabbath ends in Christ, it, in Christ continues the Sabbath of the Lord Jesus, the Same, yesterday, today, and forevermore. Even so, No, it continues not in Christ the same, because in Him now, the Sabbath has been magnified, into CHRIST-LAW BY THE POWER OF HIS RESURRECTION been changed.

Last edited: