Evangelicals and the Sabbath

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You do not need your religion, that's the point. Please not I too!! Here's the fullness of your religion: <<to follow Christ, and if Hr is your all, why fo you need the Sabbath, should not your alll be enough??>> plain denial and belittling bringing the religion of Jesus Christ down on par with yours.
Sabbath cant save you, adds nothing, it is only our faith (Obedience) in His works that does.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
It is possible to be "religious" but not right with God. *Just look at the Pharisees. Religion apart from a relationship with Jesus Christ is in vain. (John 17:3) In James 1:26, we read - If anyone among you thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this one's religion is useless. This man's religion is vain, empty, devoid of power, lacking in content, nonproductive, dead and of no eternal value.

James 1:27 - Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world. There is nothing wrong with "pure and undefiled religion" but there is certainly something wrong with impure and defiled religion.

WHY DO YOU SAY THIS? What you say is true, but for what reason you must come and proclaim it here? Come on, tell me, not us, but me, with which purpose and motive? O certainly I do not control my tongue, and I won't excuse my sin by saying I cannot control either my tongue or temper. But we both know - and everybody else in this conversation know THAT IS NOT WHY YOU SAID THIS HERE? So say it! I'll spell it for you, what you meant to say and indeed EMPHATICALLY ARE SAYING WITH THIS POST, Sabbath -- S.a.b.b.a.t.h S.e.v.e.n.t.h D.a.y of the Lord's making.

You want me banned. You will not. God knows and is looking on!

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Sabbath cant save you, adds nothing, it is only our faith (Obedience) in His works that does.

Thanks, presume whatever you regard is <enough> to save you; but I prefer NOT to be saved by <our faith> and less to be saved by <our Obedience>-- it <does> NOT <save> even spelled with a capital letter.

God, help me control my tongue and temper, BUT VISIT my tempters and borers.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I think he is an excellent Bible teacher. As a person who has a Pentecostal theology I was first put off by his anti-Charismatic teaching, and thought he was a false teacher for many years. But I started to view his messages on Youtube, and found his Bible teaching very sound and faith-building. I did take a chance and viewed his messages on the Charismatic movement, and found that he had many very valid points about it which helped me see the Scriptural wood from the extra-Biblical "trees".

Of course, he teaches from a Calvinist doctrinal perspective, and that fits in with my Reformed English Puritan theology. And I make no apologies for having that theology at all.

I am glad indeed to hear. I am a great adherent of the Puritans and one might say a fanatic Calvinist. I believe I am really a Protestant and all my life have tried to be a proper Protestant. My heart belongs to the Faith of my people, the Boers, Afrikaners, of the Reformed family of churches. I always say I am a Dopper without permission. 'Without permission' because I resist Sunday sacredness and Sunday going to church. It's about the same with regard to the Evangelicals. I respect them, maybe admire them, and I also love their pithy sayings. But when it comes to Sunday, I oppose them, and do not fear or hesitate to lift out the GREATEST HERESY THE WHOLE CHURCH HAS FOR ITS WHOLE EXISTENCE IDOLISED AND SUPERSTITIOUSLY WORSHIPPED -- SUNDAY!

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
o_O
WHY DO YOU SAY THIS? What you say is true, but for what reason you must come and proclaim it here? Come on, tell me, not us, but me, with which purpose and motive? O certainly I do not control my tongue, and I won't excuse my sin by saying I cannot control either my tongue or temper. But we both know - and everybody else in this conversation know THAT IS NOT WHY YOU SAID THIS HERE? So say it! I'll spell it for you, what you meant to say and indeed EMPHATICALLY ARE SAYING WITH THIS POST, Sabbath -- S.a.b.b.a.t.h S.e.v.e.n.t.h D.a.y of the Lord's making.

You want me banned. You will not. God knows and is looking on!
Good grief. Why so defensive? I was speaking in general and was not pointing the finger at anyone in particular. Why would I want you banned? I’m still new to this forum and don’t even know you.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Because they are not Jews.

16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

There is no Scripture in all Scripture translatable into this trash you here publish as your word for the Word of God and moreover applicable to <Jews>. Have you had the education I could and would have showed you. But for now, I'll show you that I am also able to answer answerable nonsense.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There is no Scripture in all Scripture translatable into this trash you here publish as your word for the Word of God and moreover applicable to <Jews>. Have you had the education I could and would have showed you. But for now, I'll show you that I am also able to answer answerable nonsense.
But we are not Jews, so what has the Sabbath to do with us, our salvation is in Christ alone, He is the fullfillment and end of all things, everything is complete and finished in Him.

Amen

Reactions: mailmandan

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
mailmandan likes this.

But we are not Jews, so what has the Sabbath to do with us, our salvation is in Christ alone, He is the fullfillment and end of all things, everything is complete and finished in Him.

WHICH PROVES THE FALSEHOOD...
Good grief. Why so defensive? I was speaking in general and was not pointing the finger at anyone in particular. Why would I want you banned? I’m still new to this forum and don’t even know you.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Amen
Amen! God's Word makes it very clear that Sabbath observance was a sign between God and Israel: "The Israelites are to observe the Sabbath, celebrating it for the generations to come as a lasting covenant. It will be a sign between me and the Israelites forever, for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day he abstained from work and rested." (Exodus 31:16-17). We are not Israelites under the law.

Although God's rest on the seventh day (Genesis 2:3) did foreshadow a future Sabbath law, there is no Biblical record of the Sabbath before the children of Israel left the land of Egypt. *Nowhere in Scripture is there any hint that Sabbath keeping was practiced from Adam to Moses or that the Church, the body of Christ is commanded to keep the Sabbath day in the New Testament.

*To the contrary we find: Colossians 2:16 - Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day— 17 things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

In Deuteronomy 5, Moses restates the Ten Commandments to the next generation of Israelites. Here, after commanding Sabbath observance in verses 12–14, Moses gives the reason the Sabbath was given to the nation Israel: "Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and that the Lord your God brought you out of there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm. Therefore the Lord your God has commanded you to observe the Sabbath day." (Deuteronomy 5:15).

Last edited:

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Amen! God's Word makes it very clear that Sabbath observance was a sign between God and Israel: "The Israelites are to observe the Sabbath, celebrating it for the generations to come as a lasting covenant. It will be a sign between me and the Israelites forever, for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day he abstained from work and rested." (Exodus 31:16-17). We are not Israelites under the law.

Although God's rest on the seventh day (Genesis 2:3) did foreshadow a future Sabbath law, there is no Biblical record of the Sabbath before the children of Israel left the land of Egypt. *Nowhere in Scripture is there any hint that Sabbath keeping was practiced from Adam to Moses or that the Church, the body of Christ is commanded to keep the Sabbath day in the New Testament.

*To the contrary we find: Colossians 2:16 - Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day— 17 things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

In Deuteronomy 5, Moses restates the Ten Commandments to the next generation of Israelites. Here, after commanding Sabbath observance in verses 12–14, Moses gives the reason the Sabbath was given to the nation Israel: "Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and that the Lord your God brought you out of there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm. Therefore the Lord your God has commanded you to observe the Sabbath day." (Deuteronomy 5:15).

All very well except mailman Dan's own improvement on God's Written Word: <<*To the contrary we find: Colossians 2:16 ->> WHAT IS CONTRARY ANY SCRIPTURE IN COLOSSIANS 2, even in the sad state of translation which Dan quoted?

The trouble is it's the vogue to disregard and disgrace the Seventh Day Sabbath of the LORD among Christians. If you don't you are being looked down upon. Generation brought up generation with this Christian high-brows society's 'I'm not a Jew' attitude. Meanwhile they starve for the want of the Written Word. One who is dying of starvation, I heard it said, does not know he suffers for hunger. Looking at professing Christians it seems true spiritually as well.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
What is availed with pretending and claiming <the Sabbath is for the Jews only>? A double-standards God!

As impossible it is to get rid of the Sabbath or of God, as impossible is it to get rid of God or of the Sabbath -- for one reason : "The day the Seventh Day IS Sabbath OF THE LORD ... GOD". The only possible variant in this Scripture-Word is the inclusion or exclusion of "man" in it. Are "you" in this three-in-one union and unity in the Scripture-Word, "the day The Seventh Day Sabbath OF THE LORD, YOUR, GOD"?

Last edited:

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Meanwhile they starve for the want of the Written Word. One who is dying of starvation, I heard it said, does not know he suffers for hunger. Looking at professing Christians it seems true spiritu
Who is starving

57 As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me.

58 This is that bread which came down from heaven: not as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead: he that eateth of this bread shall live for ever.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Who is starving

57 As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me.

58 This is that bread which came down from heaven: not as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead: he that eateth of this bread shall live for ever.

Amen.

"You (Colossian Gentile) saints and faithful brethren in Christ .. that eateth of This Bread and drinketh of This Water .. eating and drinking OF SABBATH'S-FEAST .. BE JUDGED AND CONDEMNED!" "This, That Bread which came down from heaven .. which the Living Father sent" is BREAD He for no reason to his own glory "gave you the Sabbath NO bread but gave you the Sixth Day bread for two days".

"AS (those unbeliever Jews of old), you, Christians, DO NOT EAT. You REFUSE to eat, so you will rather starve, you will rather be dead than "BE EATING AND DRINKING OF SABBATH'S-FEAST" -- which is the "eating and drinking OF CHRIST THE SUBSTANCE AND NOURISHMENT .. of Sabbath's-Feast .. MINISTERED". So be it then, Starve and die, you WILL "LET YOURSELVES BE JUDGED AND CONDEMNED .. BY"... YOURSELVES!

That Paul of Tarsus, he must be the biggest liar out, for according to this Mjrhealth, Jesus The Word of God said, that "he that eateth of This Bread AS YOUR FATHERS, shall live for ever." But Mjrhealth teaches that when God gives The Living Waters to drink and the Bread of Life to eat AND "LIVE OF EVERY WORD FROM THE MOUTH OF GOD", to spew it out as if it is poison. Cherry pick Scriptures saves from the wrath to come ... if one has to believe one Mjrhealth and make God the liar.

Last edited:

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Nice rant. Is Christ alone the issue or the condeming nature of your religion. You chose your religion, not God, now you have obey its rules teachings and statutes. Thats your doing, and its made you an angry man.

Last edited: