Evidence Part 1--History

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

LookingForGod

Apr 11, 2022
USA-Southeast
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
Many Christians say that we should base our faith on the evidence.
I'm at the point of wanting to look into that aspect of it.

To avoid extremely long posts, I hope that you'll let me divide this into--hmm, sub-subjects?

Here, if you have the time and the kindness, please tell me what you know about how history supports the Bible, the kind of history that historians study, not prophecy (another sub-subject).

I am sometimes a very methodical person. We use what we have. :)

I'm especially interested in supports for the the Bible's account of Jesus's life.

Referrals to a good web site about this would be good.

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

To avoid extremely long posts, I hope that you'll let me divide this into--hmm, sub-subjects?

Here, if you have the time and the kindness, please tell me what you know about how history supports the Bible, the kind of history that historians study, not prophecy (another sub-subject).

I'm especially interested in supports for the the Bible's account of Jesus's life.

HAVE YOU WONDERED: Is the Bible historically accurate?

Reactions: LookingForGod

Mosheli

Jul 2, 2020
Wellington
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
LFG: I don't have alot of time but I have already posted alot of articles and catalogue of them online. Some of my articles are here:
Sean Bambrough - Academia.edu

Faith is primary but it is not without evidence or reason. Historical evidence is one evidence reason but there are also other evidences reasons including fulfilled prophecies. Grant Jeffrey's Signature of God is a good book covering a number of evidences reasons, though his historical ones might be abit questionable.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The evidence is there--not that those who do not believe will receive it...not that I want to discourage you. But we overcome rather, "by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of our testimony." Revelation 12:11

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

There have been countless doubters throughout history (not saying you are one, just relating information) who have decided to study the Bible with the express intent of proving it wrong, many who were accomplished, esteemed, scientists and other professionals, who ultimately discovered the Truth of the Book and many of its historical proofs and evidences.

Not exactly sure if that was the case for this man I will tell you about, but his story is worth checking out. Bryant G. Wood ( Bryant G. Wood - Wikipedia ) is a man who was a well-respected engineer with plenty of degrees, etc. who, after reading the still-in-circulation book The Bible as History by Werner Keller, which was given to him as a random gift by his mother-in-law, became overwhelmed with fascination about the Bible and its possible historical evidence around the world.

He stopped everything he was doing career-wise, went back to school to pursue Archeology and began the adventure of a lifetime hunting down Biblical locations and studying them in-depth to prove, or disprove, their Biblical significance. He is very accomplished in his efforts to prove the Bible and in uncovering artifacts and other evidence of the stories within Scripture.

One of his most fascinating achievements was the re-excavation of the ancient city of Jericho in 1997. Already deemed Biblically insignificant by the British archeologist Kathleen Kenyon in 1950, Dr. Wood discovered things she had missed (intentionally/unintentionally) and presented the city of Jericho as one of the most amazing proofs and evidence of Scripture, legitimizing the Bible like few other discoveries in history have accomplished.

The book The Bible as History is worth a look, as well as Dr. Wood and his work on the city of Jericho.

God bless.

Glen55

Sep 4, 2015
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Imaginations is the oldest truth before creation was created, I don't regent the Bible read being Imagination being taught, secular history is worshiped by flesh that inherits nothing but dust, its a womb for Spirit called reborn,
It is in you as a person that the nature of God is revealed, for a scriptural episode is not a record of an historical event, but a parabolic revelation of truth. To see Jesus or David as an historical character is to see truth tempered to the weakness of your soul. You must see what the characters represent, rather than the characters themselves. This is true for every story in scripture, for every episode will unfold within you.

The title of the 54th Psalm is translated as “David is hiding with us” in the King James Version, and “David is in hiding among us” in the Revised Standard Version; but the title should read: “David is in hiding within us,” for that is where he is, as well as every character in scripture. When I say, with Blake: “All that you behold, though it appears without it is within, in your Imagination of which this world of mortality is but a shadow,” I mean that literally, for the drama of life unfolds from within.

The characters Jesus, David, Abraham, and Moses are but personifications of eternal states, which you individually will encounter as you move towards the ultimate awakening of being God himself. In his poem, “Saul” Robert Browning tells the story recorded in the 16th chapter of the Book of First Samuel, of how David cured Saul of the evil spirits which the Lord had sent upon him.

Glen55

Sep 4, 2015
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States

The Christian doesn't have enough time to read all Christ said, John 21:25 Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written.
I don't doubt grace or mercy but Christianity can't believe no ones lost is intolerable for churches needing work to keep them saving people, it is a serious flesh concerns. Satan, demons, fear,.......need rebirth every day.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

Hi @LookingForGod ; good to rest in Scripture's record; it wonderfully portrays God's revelation of the Person and Work of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Try:-
Coldcasechristianity for a detectives view on the accuracy and reliability of the gospels.
wintery knight for an evidence/scientific case for God.
Answersingenesis for general articles on theology and the bible.
reasonablefaith for logical arguments for christianity.

Glen55

Sep 4, 2015
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Like Paul explained how he woke to Christ in him wasn't by man or religion taught him Spiritual proof, letters where cast away from new wine being free, most Christian experts mix old and new wine, grace and mercy was challenged by hand built temples, the reminder is first never inherited nothing. The ability of Christ in man is a serious belief most reject.