Exodus 19...confused

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, I don't think it was dropped. He went back down and warned them in the closing verse of ex 19.

Yes, it was to call them to the boundary. I didn't read far enough because even with the bad translation, it is clear later on.

Reactions: bbyrd009

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So God was quite clearly laying out a boundary around His holiness. Setting out that red light, while also giving a green light to the man He chose. And despite that, look at the rebellion of Korah, insisting that everyone was holy because God was with them all. Claiming holiness for themselves.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But there can't be holiness when there isn't even the obedience of trust that God counts as righteousness.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So its like Epi says - righteousness and holiness are not the same thing and men claim holiness when they aren't even righteous/ in the obedience of trust. So they are neither but claiming they are both!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well...yes, it says God will come to Moses in a thick cloud so they will hear God talking to Moses so they will always trust Moses.

But its the end of vs 13 that I found puzzling. It gives a green light for the people to go up the mountain, but it never happened...
Verse 13 doesn't say "up" the mountain, but "near" the mountain.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm just talking about whatever strikes me as I read. I'm in gen 32 or 33 now.

You must not cook a goat in its mothers milk has hit me a different way upon this reading.

I've always thought it meant do not milk a goat, put her milk in a pan and then cook her own offspring in it. That would require knowing which goats belong to which parents and that could get next to impossible to keep track of.

But I think it might mean to not cook an unweened goat, a young goat who still drinks milk. He is still "in his mothers milk."

The other thing I never noticed was how not keeping any of the Passover offering for the next day correlates to only collecting enough manna for one day. Wondering about the spirit of it, like, in spirit, how do we break this command...?

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I mean, I look at the manna story and I think God wanted their obedience regarding only gathering enough for one day because it would prove they trusted Him for tomorrows provision rather than trusting in a stockpile. So it was a matter of trust. It was a test of trust in heart and mind, to obey His instruction.

I just can't quite see it with the Passover lamb. It still deals with trusting Him, but I can't quite see it...

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah, by Jove...!

I can sort of see it! It might be impossible to explain with words though...

It has to do with doctrines that make collecting only enough for the day unnecessary. For instance, His mercies begin anew everyday. But with our doctrines we seek to gather more than the mercies needed for today. We want assurance for tomorrow, without the necessity of following and obeying daily.

If His mercies begin anew each morning, no doctrine that circumvents or collects more than enough for the day is needed.

That's the best I can explain what I saw in it...

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
So its like Epi says - righteousness and holiness are not the same thing and men claim holiness when they aren't even righteous/ in the obedience of trust. So they are neither but claiming they are both!
i am reminded of Job here for whatever reason
I'm just talking about whatever strikes me as I read. I'm in gen 32 or 33 now.

You must not cook a goat in its mothers milk has hit me a different way upon this reading.

I've always thought it meant do not milk a goat, put her milk in a pan and then cook her own offspring in it. That would require knowing which goats belong to which parents and that could get next to impossible to keep track of.

But I think it might mean to not cook an unweened goat, a young goat who still drinks milk. He is still "in his mothers milk."
so, when i was a new believer, looking back on it now, a quite valid perspective might be that i was a goat, and got "cooked" in milk bc other believers (earnestly) attempted to enforce their interpretations of Scripture upon me, like maybe emphasizing one Scripture at the expenseof another, not mentioning the other, contrasting v that inevitably goes with the one they wanted to emphasize, as we are all wont to do maybe. "Don't bias a new believer to your doctrine at the expense of the competing doctrine that surely exists" or something like that

a corrollary here being that when Scripture says "don't..." and we think to ourselves "i would never do that" we are almost surely doing that, in spades
The other thing I never noticed was how not keeping any of the Passover offering for the next day correlates to only collecting enough manna for one day. Wondering about the spirit of it, like, in spirit, how do we break this command...?
possibly by accepting a "fact" as truth, and not maintaining a spirit of what is it, or iow eating meat that offends rather than never eat meat again.
I mean, I look at the manna story and I think God wanted their obedience regarding only gathering enough for one day because it would prove they trusted Him for tomorrows provision rather than trusting in a stockpile. So it was a matter of trust. It was a test of trust in heart and mind, to obey His instruction.

I just can't quite see it with the Passover lamb. It still deals with trusting Him, but I can't quite see it...
we get an initial impression that Jesus died for our sins bc we believe that God needed a Sacrifice to make us acceptable to God--which is imo intentional bc it comports with our fallen nature, and draws us to Him--and then this perception becomes written in stone and we never hear No Son of Man may die for another's sins bc after all we have an overwhelming desire to become immortal souls, perhaps, rather than put on immortality.
IMG_0361.JPG
iow we are indoctrinated with the Fear vv and dont hear the Love vv in the same context maybe.
Ah, by Jove...!

It has to do with doctrines that make collecting only enough for the day unnecessary. For instance, His mercies begin anew everyday. But with our doctrines we seek to gather more than the mercies needed for today. We want assurance for tomorrow, without the necessity of following and obeying daily.

If His mercies begin anew each morning, no doctrine that circumvents or collects more than enough for the day is needed.

bada bing :D

Last edited:

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Ah, by Jove...!

Christ is the true bread come down from heaven. As such..."Now is the day of salvation." Today.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Deuteronomy 21
22 And if a man have committed a sin worthy of death, and he be to be put to death, and thou hang him on a tree:
23 His body shall not remain all night upon the tree, but thou shalt in any wise bury him that day; (for he that is hanged is accursed of God that thy land be not defiled, which the Lord thy God giveth thee for an inheritance.

Jesus, in being hanged on a tree, in taking upon him our sin, needed to then be buried the same day. Leaving His dead body hanging on the cross would have defiled the land. Hanging Him on the tree is a curse to Him, leaving the condemned hanging there after they are dead, that becomes a curse on those who do it.

The Passover is type of Jesus, and was not to remain laying around the next morning like last night's meatloaf, to be picked at the next day.

As a figure of Jesus' propitiatory execution, the lamb was to be treated the same way. No blemish. No broken bones. And not left until morning.

Some of my thoughts . . .

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Verse 24 says,

"But the priests and the people must not force their way through to come up to the Lord, or he will break out against them.”

My guess is that it is related to Exodus 33:18-23,

"And [Moses] said, 'Please, show me Your glory.'

Then He said, 'I will make all My goodness pass before you, and I will proclaim the name of the Lord before you. I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.' But He said, 'You cannot see My face; for no man shall see Me, and live.' And the Lord said, 'Here is a place by Me, and you shall stand on the rock. So it shall be, while My glory passes by, that I will put you in the cleft of the rock, and will cover you with My hand while I pass by. Then I will take away My hand, and you shall see My back; but My face shall not be seen.'” NKJV
The holiness of God is very searching...

Reactions: Sabertooth