F.I.T.B.O.A.L

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MattMooradian

Apr 3, 2020
MUNSTER, Indiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But which Jesus is the correct Jesus to believe in?

The Jesus who spoke the Sermon of the Mount. He is the man who is like no man before Him or after Him. He is the man who had ideas that were never heard on Earth before His time. He is the man who shared a new ethic that went beyond the simple and time worn ethic of the 10 Commandments.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Jesus wouldn't have been crucified if the people of that age didn't believe silly thing's. So if the people of this age believe that Jesus sacrifice saves them from all the silly thing's they have done, then that's just one more silly belief. Right?
Their beliefs were very rational in choosing to crucify Jesus. They had no idea about God's plan for salvation. But they were aware of the Roman occupation. Jesus was the hope of many to overthrow the Romans, and also feared because he held such sway while being outside the established powers.

Last edited:

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
How belief works :)

First: Fear of the unknown must be present.
(Covid19 for example)

Second: Apply a belief to patch over the unknown gap.
(A garlic recipe for example)

Third: Convince the public that your garlic recipe will offer fringe benefits in this Covid19 pandemic.

Fourth: Stick to what you believe, even if the evidence is not forthcoming.
(Only because you have remedied your fear, not the illness)

MattMooradian

Apr 3, 2020
MUNSTER, Indiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus sacrifice saves them from all the silly thing's they have done, then that's just one more silly belief. Right?

Silly?! Hate and anger are not silly things that people do, they are devastating behaviors and attitudes that can ruin people's lives. I hope you do not intend to minimize such evils?

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Their beliefs were very rational in choosing to crucify Jesus. They had no idea about God's plan for salvation. But they were aware of the Roman occupation. Jesus was the hope of many to overthrow the Romans, and also feared because he held such sway while being outside the established powers.
Very sadistic of you :D

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Silly?! Hate and anger are not silly things that people do, they are devastating behaviors and attitudes that can ruin people's lives. I hope you do not intend to minimize such evils?
Do you or anyone on this planet know what all human feelings are for?

How many emotions does a human being actually have?

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Certainly, you must recognize that belief is primary over facts, even for yourself. Facts are too sparse, so, as humans, we fill in the gaps with our beliefs. You are subject to beliefs, as well.
You'd be wrong, as there is no actual belief processing department in the human brain.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
You'd be wrong, as there is no actual belief processing department in the human brain.

There is no tax branch of government, so you must not have to pay taxes either. Until the IRS comes knocking on your, or rather what is soon to be their door.

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
There is no tax branch of government, so you must not have to pay taxes either. Until the IRS comes knocking on your, or rather what is soon to be their door.
I'm in Australia, so there'd be different beliefs here.

bukka

Jun 7, 2020
Western North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

(Covid19 for example)

But is Covid-19 an unknown per your example? To me, the coronavirus exists exists as a scientific fact and functions as other biological entities of that type function. If it is a fact, how can it threaten faith?

Are you rather speaking about existential anxiety or dread? That is a form of angst is more related to the threatened nature of human existence and if it is not addressed soon leads to existential despair.

As an existentialist Christian, I seem to approach things differently from others.

Second: Apply a belief to patch over the unknown gap.
(A garlic recipe for example)

It horrifies me that garlic, much treasured, that allium, the camphor of the poor, the nectar of the gods, the poor man's treacle, the rust treacle, the stinking rose, is being used for this example. I like garlic! ;)

Third: Convince the public that your garlic recipe will offer fringe benefits in this Covid19 pandemic.

But isn't this shoddy kind of maneuver a characteristic of existential despair, the absence of faith, since it's predicated upon the denial of the facts concerning Covid-19?

Fourth: Stick to what you believe, even if the evidence is not forthcoming.
(Only because you have remedied your fear, not the illness)

But has the fear been remedied? Isn't it rather that it has been hidden away, pushed into the subconscious?

In the United States, for example, after it's been pushed into the subconscious, doublethink is the way of these faithless people have in dealing with Covid-19. For the doublethinker, somehow it is acknowledged as a scientific fact, especially when it leads to the sickness and death of family members. But the doublethinker, also denies its existence, especially in the doublethinker's politics, especially the politics directed towards those that are hated by the doublethinker. The doublethinker deceives and rejoices in the deceptions, and the world of illusions that have been created and will die in those illusions if the truth is no longer respected or apprehended as it is needed.

Isn't your example a talking not about faith, either existential or religious, but rather irreligion, the absence of faith?

By the way, what is a F.I.T.B.O.A.L. ? :confused:

MattMooradian

Apr 3, 2020
MUNSTER, Indiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The unknown is a strong source of fear, yes. But, the unknown can also stimulate more positive emotions, such as curiosity. Nevertheless, fear of the unknown does drive much of our beliefs. Even my example from child development regarding 'theory of mind' is driven by fear. We fear people whom we cannot understand there motives, so theory of mind enables us to form beliefs about what motivates another person (we imagine what their actions might mean, if we were engaging in that action). Humans (all animals) are designed to avoid death and seeking security in numbers is one way for humans to reduce the likelihood of death. But, associating with dangerous people may increase the likelihood of death. So, we must have a way to predict what their motives are. It's always a guess, a belief about the other's motives. But, it increases survival.

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
If humans could only stop believing in good and evil, then there will
What does this have to do with calling hate "silly"?

Human emotions are extremely varied, so many experts have cataloged them in the past. But, there are disagreements about exactly how many emotions there are. There are a small set (10 - 12) of emotions that are observable in very young children. Human emotions are for many different things: they motivate us to act in the face of danger, help us connect and understand other people, etc. Why is this important to you?
It is important because not understanding your own emotional sensory reactions can be the precursor for behavioral problems. Take the emotion aggression for example. It is just one of those unpleasant emotional reactions that most humans will try to fight off as a negative feeling by assuming the object of their frustration is responsible for their negative reaction. However this is not the case as I've discovered, since unpleasant emotions are typically warning alarms that alert the person when they are forming the wrong opinion about something in their environment. Frustration is the first emergence of you don't actually understand what you think you understand, and
What does this have to do with calling hate "silly"?

Human emotions are extremely varied, so many experts have cataloged them in the past. But, there are disagreements about exactly how many emotions there are. There are a small set (10 - 12) of emotions that are observable in very young children. Human emotions are for many different things: they motivate us to act in the face of danger, help us connect and understand other people, etc. Why is this important to you?
I claimed beliefs to be silly.

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
There is a well researched phenomena observed in all humans and children after a certain age call "theory of mind". This concept is all about beliefs in the human brain and how they are formed.

Where do you get these false ideas from? Have you researched psychology and neurology? Or, are you basing your ideas off popular (usually false) science?
No. I discovered that suspending all my beliefs was the only way I could cure schizophrenia. Yes, I do have evidence for this discovery.

Entanglement

Jul 15, 2020
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
But is Covid-19 an unknown per your example? To me, the coronavirus exists exists as a scientific fact and functions as other biological entities of that type function. If it is a fact, how can it threaten faith?

Are you rather speaking about existential anxiety or dread? That is a form of angst is more related to the threatened nature of human existence and if it is not addressed soon leads to existential despair.

As an existentialist Christian, I seem to approach things differently from others.

It horrifies me that garlic, much treasured, that allium, the camphor of the poor, the nectar of the gods, the poor man's treacle, the rust treacle, the stinking rose, is being used for this example. I like garlic! ;)

But isn't this shoddy kind of maneuver a characteristic of existential despair, the absence of faith, since it's predicated upon the denial of the facts concerning Covid-19?

But has the fear been remedied? Isn't it rather that it has been hidden away, pushed into the subconscious?

In the United States, for example, after it's been pushed into the subconscious, doublethink is the way of these faithless people have in dealing with Covid-19. For the doublethinker, somehow it is acknowledged as a scientific fact, especially when it leads to the sickness and death of family members. But the doublethinker, also denies its existence, especially in the doublethinker's politics, especially the politics directed towards those that are hated by the doublethinker. The doublethinker deceives and rejoices in the deceptions, and the world of illusions that have been created and will die in those illusions if the truth is no longer respected or apprehended as it is needed.

Isn't your example a talking not about faith, either existential or religious, but rather irreligion, the absence of faith?

By the way, what is a F.I.T.B.O.A.L. ? :confused:
I don't understand what you are getting across here.