Faith alone is man's thinking only

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ghada

Jul 13, 2023
Damascus
Faith
Christian
Country
Syrian Arab Republic
A major error in the reading the Bible by believers and unbelievers alike, can be by reading His words with a natural mind, and so we miss the true things of the Spirit, by whom we are sanctified unto life.

Natural man can have and speak of having faith alone without works. And so when we read the words of of the Bible, that speaks of faith, without any other words mentioned beside it, then we naturally think the Bible is teaching of having faith alone. That is how some Christian fervently believe the Bible teaches being saved and justified by faith alone. They read the Bible like all other books with natural eyes and comprehension.

However, in the Bible God is not using man's words in a natural way, but in His own spiritual way.

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.

For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

We see here the reason why God's thoughts are not as natural man's thinking, and that is thoughts are higher than natural man. It's not because God is the great Guru with majetic thoughts from on high, that mere mortals cannot possibly conceive. But rather it's closer to home and more down to earth than that. As the saying goes, True spirituality is utter practicality.

What the Bible is simply saying, is that God's thoughts are greater than man's, because His thought are His ways. His thoughts are never separated from what He is doing. Gen 1 shows all men, that God is not just a hovering thinker only, but is always a Doer of His word. So it is with the baser and useless thoughts of man, who thinks having faith can be alone and separate from our works.

Only man can sit around thinking thoughts and having things in the mind, that have nothing to do with what we are doing in life. With God, that is not possible, and throughout His Bible He says so. That is why we are warned against men's philosophy and other vain deceit robbing us of our simplicity in Christ.

That simplicity is simply to be doers of the word, and not hearers and believers only, whose thoughts and faiths are separate from our ways.

Reactions: Episkopos

Ghada

Jul 13, 2023
Damascus
Faith
Christian
Country
Syrian Arab Republic
Gnostics are all about what they think, and not what they do. They teach that thoughts are the highest things, while what we do is secondary at best. That is what saving faith without works teaches about works, that they are only supplements to their saving faith at best, but have nothing to do with their faith that saves them. Faith alone is the high king, while works are only things we do from time to time.

By the Father judging our works, and not our faith alone, we understand the simplicity of Christ: What we may be thinking and believing about things of God, ourselves, and life on earth, absolutely none of it matters when it comes to what we are actually doing at the time.

God's thoughts are greater than man's, because they are never separate from His ways and way of doing things. While man's thoughts and faiths are foolishness to God, if they are separate and different from our works.

For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

The reason taking up our cross like Jesus is foolish to thinkers and believers alone, is because they think they can have important thoughts and saving faith set apart from what they do in life. Some Christians like the philosophers of the world, actually mock taking up our cross for Jesus' sake, as some
sort of religious self-flagellation ceremony.

Having faith without works, is only thinking without doing it. And the very 'idea' of thinking such a thing is impossible with God. much less the very idea of teaching it in His word to man.

But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

James 1 is telling us not to be hearers and believers only, but to be at all times doers of the word.

But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.

Faith alone only thinks about the things of God, while not doing His will. It also believes in being saved at the same time. They are thoughts and faiths separated from their ways.

The God of the Bible is telling all believers, that if our thoughts are not our ways, then they are foolishness and deceitful. God's judgment of our works tells us that doing His word is greater and higher in His sight, than just thinking believing alone.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That simplicity is simply to be doers of the word, and not hearers and believers only, whose thoughts and faiths are separate from our ways.
Yes, absolutely! We are commanded to believe in Jesus, and to love others, the two great commandments our Lord gave to us. In these, we will not only live in agreement with the Law you promote, but we will transcend over it's requirements as spirit transcends over flesh. Looking unto Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our faith. Setting our affections on things above, where Christ is, where we are, hidden with Him in God.

If we look to live by the letter of the Law we will necessarily fall short. The Law was given for the ungodly. Live in the Spirit, walk in the Spirit, all will be well.

Much love!

Reactions: mailmandan

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Faith alone only thinks about the things of God, while not doing His will.
Very true, by which we know this is not saving faith. There is no transformation. If you are not different, what is your reason to think you are born again? If God is not in your heart, leading you now, then you are not His. And as I consider it, His leading in our spirit isn't found in letters on stone.

Much love!

Reactions: Rapture Bound

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Very true, by which we know this is not saving faith. There is no transformation. If you are not different, what is your reason to think you are born again? If God is not in your heart, leading you now, then you are not His. And as I consider it, His leading in our spirit isn't found in letters on stone.

Much love!
Too many people seem to confuse faith in Christ "alone" for salvation (Romans 4:5-6; Ephesians 2:8,9) with an empty profession of faith/dead faith that remains "alone" - barren of works. (James 2:14-24) These are two separate "alone's" in connection with two different things.

Reactions: marks

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been through the Paul vs. James arguments; I spent about 15 years on a forum sponsored by a Reformed ministry. I saw sinners trusting God and finding comfort in the message, "It is by grace you are saved, through faith; not of works, lest any man should boast. It is a gift from God, not of yourselves." And it showed in how they treated others with the same grace they'd been shown.

Me, I just figure this world is crying out for a few good works. Some things go beyond just saving my sorry ass from the flames.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been through the Paul vs. James arguments; I spent about 15 years on a forum sponsored by a Reformed ministry. I saw sinners trusting God and finding comfort in the message, "It is by grace you are saved, through faith; not of works, lest any man should boast. It is a gift from God, not of yourselves." And it showed in how they treated others with the same grace they'd been shown.

Me, I just figure this world is crying out for a few good works. Some things go beyond just saving my sorry ass from the flames.

Idk lamabno. Combing both paul and james, it shares that even though one is saved by grace through faith; they will combined with “faith”, come to love God and others.

Not many people wanna crawl up on the cross with Jesus or pick up their cross, because its a death sentence.

Thats my take, the flesh only = death…

But the spirit = peace and life.

There gotta be a balance rather than arguments… its stupid how people fight about this stuff…

Rather than seek truth of the matter itself.

Who has time to read the bible? That dusty ol thing, especially when they are a supposed student, the flesh hates it but the spirit is willingly.

Reactions: Lambano

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Too many people seem to confuse faith in Christ "alone" for salvation (Romans 4:5-6; Ephesians 2:8,9) with an empty profession of faith/dead faith that remains "alone" - barren of works. (James 2:14-24) These are two separate "alone's" in connection with two different things.
Well, either they confuse it, or they work it, to push their thing.

It's a debate ploy, straw man.

To me, when people start talking like that, I know they are either confused or dishonest.

Much love!

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
IF A PERSON HAS FAITH, WHY DOES HE NEED TO EXERCISE IT???

To God Be The Glory

Last edited:

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A major error in the reading the Bible by believers and unbelievers alike, can be by reading His words with a natural mind, and so we miss the true things of the Spirit, by whom we are sanctified unto life.

Natural man can have and speak of having faith alone without works. And so when we read the words of of the Bible, that speaks of faith, without any other words mentioned beside it, then we naturally think the Bible is teaching of having faith alone. That is how some Christian fervently believe the Bible teaches being saved and justified by faith alone. They read the Bible like all other books with natural eyes and comprehension.

However, in the Bible God is not using man's words in a natural way, but in His own spiritual way.

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.

For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

We see here the reason why God's thoughts are not as natural man's thinking, and that is thoughts are higher than natural man. It's not because God is the great Guru with majetic thoughts from on high, that mere mortals cannot possibly conceive. But rather it's closer to home and more down to earth than that. As the saying goes, True spirituality is utter practicality.

What the Bible is simply saying, is that God's thoughts are greater than man's, because His thought are His ways. His thoughts are never separated from what He is doing. Gen 1 shows all men, that God is not just a hovering thinker only, but is always a Doer of His word. So it is with the baser and useless thoughts of man, who thinks having faith can be alone and separate from our works.

Only man can sit around thinking thoughts and having things in the mind, that have nothing to do with what we are doing in life. With God, that is not possible, and throughout His Bible He says so. That is why we are warned against men's philosophy and other vain deceit robbing us of our simplicity in Christ.

Without obedience (works), I think we get into a lot of trouble.