Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone? (Poll included)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Heart2Soul Well, it always has been very much a military thing; nowadays military spouses have it done very widely also, often in faith, patriotic or family themes.
Isn't it funny how trends get started. Someone creates a "new" look for themselves and next thing you know everyone is copying that.
I made a comment to Harley biker guy about his attire...I said all you Harley guys look the same...I wonder how this look became "the image" Harley owners adhered to and continue to wear for decades.
I said ya'll are just a bunch of followers...monkey see...monkey do...haha.
I personally like to make my own style...and my style completely hinges on cost, comfort and modesty...(I don't wear clothes that show my body to everyone).
So tattoos are kind of the same thing.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Isn't it funny how trends get started. Someone creates a "new" look for themselves and next thing you know everyone is copying that.
I made a comment to Harley biker guy about his attire...I said all you Harley guys look the same...I wonder how this look became "the image" Harley owners adhered to and continue to wear for decades.
I said ya'll are just a bunch of followers...monkey see...monkey do...haha.
I personally like to make my own style...and my style completely hinges on cost, comfort and modesty...(I don't wear clothes that show my body to everyone).
So tattoos are kind of the same thing.
@Heart2Soul Well, I think for example when young ppl become adults and start having their inkings done they are basically saying, Adults are ppl that have their own style. (Even if such styles are often very similar to those of others of the same generation.) They seem to be saying, As an adult, having your own style is what you do. (I think you would sense also a resonance here of your own daughters' thinking.) The scope and potential for faith based designs is also clearly large, among Christian young ppl.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
...went in and supported your community.
@Waiting on him I guess this is a way to look at it: supporting local talent and business; first timers - often new adults - thereby asserting their own personal style; many opportunities for faith based designs; from the artist's perspective, further develops skill, etc.

I supposed some ppl would say that both from the perspective of tattooing and being tattooed it can be a win-win situation (if this has some modicum of logic?)

Reactions: Waiting on him

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Waiting on him Thanks for the 'like'; in any case, while men have not unusually gone for bigger ones, yet even after it became more customary for women to do their first ink (whether or not it was to be their only ink), women have not unusually been quite measured and circumspect and restrained with the size of their first tattoo design, right?

Kind of 'testing the waters', I suppose?

Reactions: Waiting on him

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It bothers me when I see someone with 5 random, higgly-piggly odd-ball ones. It's like...commit, dude.
@Naomi25

Well, anyway, good to reflect that in fact many women are in this general situation that you describe, right?

Because many women, when they do get their first tattoo will often go for something rather small.

Later, if they get more tattoos, they will not necessarily be blended or balanced with their small first one.

So you yourself think that, rather than women - or men, for that matter - getting one small one and others later, it would really be best to consider a larger one or larger ones from the start and go for it from the start?

Spurgeon's Girl

Sep 18, 2020
CHANDLER
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Spurgeon's Girl FYI....did you see/vote in the poll, above? :)

I did see it, but thought it might be better if I remained quiet about it. But, you were very polite in asking and I thank you for it.

My opinion is that women, in particular, should not tattoo themselves and especially none that are visible to the public. It portrays a trashy image. I understand this is extreme judgment and it's not my place to judge others. My mom was in the Navy for more than 20 years. She took me with her to work sometimes because I had an interest in joining the Navy. One day a young military woman showed up in her uniform skirt and had a dragon covering her entire calf. Tattoos were not allowed at that time and this dragon was a severe violation. My mom took her aside and spoke to her privately. Needless to say she discharged from the service.

It's probably something I won't change my mind on, but I can accept that others have a different point of view. It's not anything that Christians should divide over.

God Bless my friend.

Reactions: Nancy

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I did see it, but thought it might be better if I remained quiet about it. But, you were very polite in asking and I thank you for it.

My opinion is that women, in particular, should not tattoo themselves and especially none that are visible to the public. It portrays a trashy image. I understand this is extreme judgment and it's not my place to judge others. My mom was in the Navy for more than 20 years. She took me with her to work sometimes because I had an interest in joining the Navy. One day a young military woman showed up in her uniform skirt and had a dragon covering her entire calf. Tattoos were not allowed at that time and this dragon was a severe violation. My mom took her aside and spoke to her privately. Needless to say she discharged from the service.

It's probably something I won't change my mind on, but I can accept that others have a different point of view. It's not anything that Christians should divide over.

God Bless my friend.
@Spurgeon's Girl Thank-you very much for that very interesting insight from your mother's past in the Navy! It's always interesting to learn of such personal stories, experiences, and memories.

I guess a memory I have is of when my wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also, and I'm sure that other conversations have arisen as a result of this Christian young lady being willing to undergo a parlor injecting in such a design. I think that when Christian women - such as the one with whom my wife and I spoke - decide to go ahead with obtaining such an acquisition, it's probably not just a case of "Ohh this feels good/ looks good", but rather, because it's something that - so widely - both genders now do, it's a matter of using a wide open opportunity for expression in witness.

Thank-you again for your really good comment!

Spurgeon's Girl

Sep 18, 2020
CHANDLER
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Spurgeon's Girl Thank-you very much for that very interesting insight from your mother's past in the Navy! It's always interesting to learn of such personal stories, experiences, and memories.

I guess a memory I have is of when my wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also, and I'm sure that other conversations have arisen as a result of this Christian young lady being willing to undergo a parlor injecting in such a design. I think that when Christian women - such as the one with whom my wife and I spoke - decide to go ahead with obtaining such an acquisition, it's probably not just a case of "Ohh this feels good/ looks good", but rather, because it's something that - so widely - both genders now do, it's a matter of using a wide open opportunity for expression in witness.

Thank-you again for your really good comment!

It's a joy that even though we have different ideas, we are all one in Christ.

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Naomi25 Okay! seems like your daughter didn't go "all out", then...? :)

Showing restrain at one's first ink can be sensible, anyway.

She hasn't had any done yet...hasn't really spoken of it thus far. But considering who she is, I suspect she would go for something small and elegant. You see....she's a midget. Anything too big and she'd get swallowed up!

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Naomi25

Well, anyway, good to reflect that in fact many women are in this general situation that you describe, right?

Because many women, when they do get their first tattoo will often go for something rather small.

Later, if they get more tattoos, they will not necessarily be blended or balanced with their small first one.

So you yourself think that, rather than women - or men, for that matter - getting one small one and others later, it would really be best to consider a larger one or larger ones from the start and go for it from the start?
Honestly, I'm not sure...I just find it...visually unsettling for the images to not mesh, either in pattern or scope. That's probably the autism tho!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Honestly, I'm not sure...I just find it...visually unsettling for the images to not mesh, either in pattern or scope. That's probably the autism tho!
@Naomi25 Well, it's great that you have developed and articulated a sense of what is aesthetically balanced and pleasing in tattoo designs and placements. And perhaps you are right to be willing to state that an initial, single design on its own might not mesh well with any subsequent ones if it is not entered into with aforethought and an attempt to balance it within a possible series of 2 or 3 others, etc., that might eventually materialize.

Maybe there is a case proactively to take 17/18 year olds — prior to any likely visit to a parlor as a client — to look at some parlor portfolios in order to give them a sense of what various designs are — and are not — aesthetically balanced and wholesome?

Obviously they will later decide in the end what designs to receive — if any at all — but there is a sense in which being forewarned is forearmed and in which having a bit more time to think it over with remembered and even discussed visuals might be helpful to the 17/18 year old before the time actually arises when any possible peer pressure may impel them to make hasty decisions; this might possibly be a concern of yours.

Reactions: Naomi25

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
She hasn't had any done yet...hasn't really spoken of it thus far. But considering who she is, I suspect she would go for something small and elegant. You see....she's a midget. Anything too big and she'd get swallowed up!
@Naomi25 Well, as mom you certainly do sometimes get a sense of what might eventually be either likely or according to the balance of possibilities.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It was short session..on tattoos.
People at the Conference were surprised..
- There was a session on tattoos!
---
The Conference was about 'spiritual maturuty,
gifts & ministry calling'.
---
My guess is ..tattoos session was added.
- Because it might be helpful for those involved in ministry..to know about tattoos.
---
The session was balanced..not too much negative.
- Instructor had experience..outreach ministry to
people with tattoos.

@Pathfinder7 So did you vote in this poll, above? :)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
The scriptures on the inside of her forearms...
@soul man

Seems like this placement is particularly preferred by many tattooees, especially women. Although some women increasingly go for full or half sleeves or else others simply prefer a small symbol on a wrist or finger, the inner forearm as a placement does offer something of an intermediate tattoo opportunity between those other thoroughgoing or minimalist preferences, doesn't it?

When done by a Christian in a faith based design (Scripture, like you pointed out), it will likely be unregretted, particularly because of its sheer potential in personal witness.