Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone? (Poll included)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Getitright

Nov 7, 2019
North Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Getitright Thanks for your vote! I see you voted: "No, but it sounds like a good idea to start conversations".

My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also; and I'm sure other conversations have arisen as a result of her willingness to go ahead and be injected with such a design. I saw a quote from the Bible Belt which seemed to indicate how widespread it is there.

Nurses are a demographic which is notably tattooed, sometimes quite heavily, and they often use their ink as an ice breaker among patients and their families; so tattoos do indeed work, whatever the context of the message conveyed in the design; FYI:

allnurses dot com

Bottom line: they do seem to work as conversation-starters.

Personally, I don't like them and don't have any. I see no reason for them. However, as I said in the poll, it would be useful for striking up a conversation.

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Naomi25 Well, this is not unusual! A while ago a majority of the young men at the small, conservative local church that my wife and I attend seemed to be wearing earrings. Ear stretching, too, is quite popular with young ppl. The basic holes are usually around 20g or 18g. Then the stages down to bigger holes are usually 16g, then 14g, then 12g...right down to 0g. Sometimes 4g or 6g is reckoned to be the 'point of no return' when the holes won't revert back to smaller ones, but this varies from individual to individual, and maybe your daughter is a long way from there yet; I don't supposed she has said which 'g' (gauge) she has reached, yet?

As regards nose piercing, Ezekiel 16.12 mentions that the Lord Himself at least metaphorically gave Zion personified a nose ring; it's really a matter of personal taste, likes/dislikes.

Fact is, many tattoo parlors also do piercings, so they are an environment with which your daughter is already, or will likely soon be, familiar. (Sometimes a bit of parental guidance at a parlor re. the aesthetics and balancing of ink plans can be useful....)
Yeah, well, she's doing her own thing now; we asked her to hold off on some things til she turned 18, but allowed her full autonomy over such things once she turned 18. I don't think she'll go wild all at once, but I certainly won't be surprised if she adds piercings or even tattoos over the years. I think she's definitely more interested in the piercing side of things, but that could change, and that's fully up to her.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yeah, well, she's doing her own thing now; we asked her to hold off on some things til she turned 18, but allowed her full autonomy over such things once she turned 18. I don't think she'll go wild all at once, but I certainly won't be surprised if she adds piercings or even tattoos over the years. I think she's definitely more interested in the piercing side of things, but that could change, and that's fully up to her.
@Naomi25 Yes, well, the first tattoo - if it happens - is often preceded by one or two piercings, isn't it.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
My daughter is 56 and just got her first ones @farouk
120301499_10224046446410301_6269603216099838004_o.jpg

One on each wrist with her children's names.

@Pearl Thanks for the photo! Yes, a word and an emblem such as a flower can be a nice combination.

So maybe does your daughter say now she's done it they feel good for her to have? & do you think they look quite nice on her?

(Responding here bc it's a more live thread; thanks again for the photo contribution; seems like your daughter herself took it...)

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
...you were very polite in asking and I thank you for it.
@Spurgeon's Girl Tattoos — esp. faith based designs — are anyway a subject that Christians ought to be able at least to discuss politely; after all, they are used so widely in areas such as the Bible Belt; I saw this quote, FYI:

QueenCat said:
Around here (Bible Belt), it is common, especially among evangelical Christians, for the girls under about 40 to have religious tattoos. More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd. I hardly know any female at church that is under 30 that does not have a tattoo.
forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Personally, I don't like them and don't have any. I see no reason for them. However, as I said in the poll, it would be useful for striking up a conversation.
@Getitright You are right, yes they do work as conversation-starters, as @Heart2Soul said in one of her posts a while ago:
I have often pondered the idea of a tattoo that reflects my faith.....never know when it might be a witness to someone....would definitely be a conversation starter about Jesus!

Reactions: Getitright

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
doing her own thing now ... allowed her full autonomy over such things once she turned 18... that's fully up to her.
@Naomi25 Yes, it's what happens after 18, whether it's being needled with rings and/or ink, it's what they so often do...but best of all, acquiring a permanent, daily prayer and Bible reading habit is the really best thing to take responsibility for!

Reactions: Naomi25

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I think alot of people did, the craze has busted that stereotype wide open :)

The scriptures on the inside of her forearms, looked nice and did start a conversation

@soul man It was just a man thing years ago. It's now regarded as a very wholesome thing when Christian women desire strongly (whether it's called a craze or not) such inkings ... and so many Christian women now do desire them strongly.

Reactions: soul man

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@soul man It was just a man thing years ago. It's now regarded as a very wholesome thing when Christian women desire strongly (whether it's called a craze or not) such inkings ... and so many Christian women now do desire them strongly.

Yes I agree, you know me I'm going to use old man terms (craze) lol

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes I agree, you know me I'm going to use old man terms (craze) lol
@soul man Although some ppl might call it a craze, yet for example (see post #548, above) @Pearl 's 56 yr old daughter who just did it might say it's simply a really nice thing to do.

Seems like it's not only the really young ppl that are doing it, anyway, but those who are more mature are liking the idea, showing maybe it's not just a fad that they will soon tire of... (@Pearl maybe agrees? :) )

Reactions: soul man and Pearl