Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone? (Poll included)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Thanks to all who voted so far in the poll!

NB: If you have not voted yet in the poll, please vote now! :)

(Don't forget that the poll closes in a couple of days' time...)

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@TLHKAJ Well, he'll probably get used to them eventually, won't he? After all, it's what the younger generation especially does now, doesn't it?
He'll get over it because of his love for his daughter ...not because it's what the younger generation is doing. He still dislikes tattoos. And so do I. But I will not allow that to cause me to look down on my daughters even one tiny bit. Rather, I pray for understanding and see them through eyes of parental and godly love. My daughters are amazing. :) Nothing can take that away ....tattoo or no tattoo. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
He'll get over it because of his love for his daughter ...not because it's what the younger generation is doing. He still dislikes tattoos. And so do I. But I will not allow that to cause me to look down on my daughters. Rather, I pray for understanding and see them through eyes of parental and godly love. My daughters are amazing. :) Nothing can take that away ....tattoo or no tattoo. :)
@TLHKAJ In any case, you yourself indeed probably did get used to it after they each got inked up, right?

(Whatever your inner thoughts.)

For some Christians it does anyway seem to offer opportunities for faith expression and conversations.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@TLHKAJ In any case, you yourself indeed probably did get used to it after they each got inked up, right?

(Whatever your inner thoughts.)

For some Christians it does anyway seem to offer opportunities for faith expression and conversations.
I didn't really have to get used to them for more than a few minutes. It's hard to explain, I guess. I tend to look past outward stuff ...the outward is secondary, a reflection of the heart. Although I'm not a proponent or fan of tattoos, it is part of the story of who my daughters are inside. And if they began to get more and more ink, it would sadden me because my daughters are AMAZING .....and beautiful! Lots of excessive ink is a signal that something is lacking inside. It's the same with someone who feels they have to have 200 pairs of shoes (purses, watches, etc) or a woman who wears so much makeup you never know what she truly looks like...or piercings that mar the body so grotesquely that you can't tell they're fully human ....something is wrong when things are carried to an extreme.

I have a relative who buys pens ...she is obsessed with them and recently went and spent $100 on dozens of pens ....and she already had a couple hundred or more!! This is an obsession and is rooted in a wound or some unmet need. She isn't well off...she is on a fixed income. That money could be better spent on other real needs that she has, but ....she buys more pens. lol And I love her dearly ...and I don't put her down for buying things she doesn't need. I just try to be available for when she needs to talk.

All this to say ...I don't think it's healthy or right to say this is something people do bc they're part of a certain generation. Putting people in boxes like that isn't good. It sounds like a subtle brainwashing. Rather, we need to bless our children, raise them up in the way they should go, foster their confidence in their God-given value, shower them with truth and love ....and let them grow and blossom into healthy adults who are able to walk on a firm foundation of identity in Christ.❤

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think there is something to be said of moderation ...
Consider... a little wine is good for the belly ...but scripture is clear that drunkards will not enter the kingdom of heaven. Scripture warns against being deceived by it.

“Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.” — Proverbs 20:1 (KJV)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I think there is something to be said of moderation ...
@TLHKAJ In the context of tattoos indeed, good point about moderation...

FHII made a similar point, I guess:

FHII said:
I got my first and only tattoo when I was 25. I was told it was addictive, but for me it was not. .. I don't regret it .. Have I thought about getting more tattooed? Sure. But I don't feel as compelled as I did. How about a Christian themed tattoo? Yea... Thought about it and have a great idea for one. But its not going to increase my spirituality. ..Probably 75% of the congregation have tattoos, including myself and the Pastor

It's so widespread, but remembering moderation is good...

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I didn't really have to get used to them for more than a few minutes. It's hard to explain, I guess. I tend to look past outward stuff ...the outward is secondary, a reflection of the heart. Although I'm not a proponent or fan of tattoos, it is part of the story of who my daughters are inside. And if they began to get more and more ink, it would sadden me because my daughters are AMAZING .....and beautiful! Lots of excessive ink is a signal that something is lacking inside. It's the same with someone who feels they have to have 200 pairs of shoes (purses, watches, etc) or a woman who wears so much makeup you never know what she truly looks like...or piercings that mar the body so grotesquely that you can't tell they're fully human ....something is wrong when things are carried to an extreme.

I have a relative who buys pens ...she is obsessed with them and recently went and spent $100 on dozens of pens ....and she already had a couple hundred or more!! This is an obsession and is rooted in a wound or some unmet need. She isn't well off...she is on a fixed income. That money could be better spent on other real needs that she has, but ....she buys more pens. lol And I love her dearly ...and I don't put her down for buying things she doesn't need. I just try to be available for when she needs to talk.

All this to say ...I don't think it's healthy or right to say this is something people do bc they're part of a certain generation. Putting people in boxes like that isn't good. It sounds like a subtle brainwashing. Rather, we need to bless our children, raise them up in the way they should go, foster their confidence in their God-given value, shower them with truth and love ....and let them grow and blossom into healthy adults who are able to walk on a firm foundation of identity in Christ.❤
@TLHKAJ A lot of truth in what you say, indeed, I'm sure...

I didn't really have to get used to them for more than a few minutes. It's hard to explain, I guess. I tend to look past outward stuff ...the outward is secondary, a reflection of the heart. Although I'm not a proponent or fan of tattoos, it is part of the story of who my daughters are inside.

I'm sure it's hard to put in words, like you say.

But for so many now, a bit of inking in moderation can really be all part of who people are as regards their past, in their own personal journeys.

After they have had the ink for a while, it can sometimes even be a bit hard to think of them without their bit of ink, gotten a while back in moderation.

(I reckon your husband realizes this, too, to some extent.)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
...the tattoo’d person should be ready to answer...
@Michiah-Imla Yes; getting a faith based tattoo design - such as a Scripture quote or reference, or a Christian fish sign <><, etc. - would involve the person contemplating it being prepared to use it subsequently in personal witness. As in being ready to give a reason for the hope that is within you, as Peter says.

(If you follow?)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I personally like to make my own style...and my style completely hinges on cost, comfort and modesty...(I don't wear clothes that show my body to everyone).
So tattoos are kind of the same thing.
@Heart2Soul Strictly for those who want them only, there are plenty of modest placements available for faith based tattoo designs, than need not be big: a lot a small. Such placements include wrist, foot area, behind the ear, etc., whether for a Scripture ref./quote, Christian fish sign <><, etc.

For the believer contemplating a moderate inking, modest placements abound that need not involve a lot of cost, anyway.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I don't understand the question.
@ilovejcsog Oh, the poll question is about whether respondents have ever talked to someone as a result of a tattoo in a faith based design, that is is, whether one's own tattoo that someone has spotted, or else someone else's tattoo.

My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also and I'm sure other conversations have arisen as a result of her willingness to have it done (which was maybe the point of having it done in the first place).

The poll has various response options.

(NB: The poll is due to close soon.......)