Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone? (Poll included)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
For the most part the biggest question I get when people see the back tattoo is, how long did that take and did it hurt? lol
The wrist tattoo is a matter of strategic planning. I'm right handed. When I encounter people and I have to reach out, like pay for something, hand something to them, they see that tattoo.It's also in the black and gray scale but the ink drops are red. The phrase is black and gray too . So the red stands out most of all.
I've had cashiers reach to take the money in that hand and pause as they hold the bills. I know they're reading and studying the art so I stand there patiently for as long as they need.

Did I think about how the art would maybe speak to people? I did it for myself mostly since it was my body being committed to canvas. I figured if I was inspired to get this, being it was some 15 years after being saved, it must have been meant to be by God himself. Because the back image was from a dream that carried on for three nights. It would always start the same way and end the same way. I'm walking through this woods that was brilliantly colorful and as I get to the edge of the woodline and break through that tattoo is what I saw. No way a tattoo artist could mix those colors. And the clouds were moving.
If a animated gif tattoo is ever possible my brother is going to make a fortune. lol

I figured after three nights of having that same dream and a brother who owns a shop, somethings sending a message. It took about two weeks to get the design down as close as I could come to the sketch I made on the dream journal page beside my bed. And all in all about six months to finish. The outline first of course. I'm patient. And not fond of needles or the pain.

The wrist tattoo came after my BFF gifted me a tank top for my workouts that had that phrase and a regular type cross on it. I just got all artistic and wanted the tattoo design to be a little more stylish. I like black and grey tatt art. And my brother is gifted in the medium so it all worked out.

Sorry, didn't answer that other question you had. Not yet inspired to get more tattoos. I'm not a full body canvas type. But if the inspiration comes, we'll see.
@Abigail :

So your brother is a tattoo artist...so was he surprised/pleased when he realized that you were an 'inkable' Christian woman that he could help express what she believed?

Interestingly, historically tattooing was apparently very widespread among 19th century high society Victorian women:

...one of the major resurgences of interest in tattoos in Europe occurred among 19th century high society Victorian women (as well as men), after British explorers .. brought back the practice to Britain. .. [It] grew during the 19th century, and even Winston Churchill’s mother had a tattoo .. on her wrist. Queen Victoria was also believed to have had a tattoo of a Bengal tiger.. . From Victorian Europe, the craze spread to America. In 1897, (art critic, Margot) Miffin says that an estimated 75% of American society women were tattooed.
(Black Fire: Women, Tattoos, and the Transformative Power of Body Art)

So when reports today from the Bible Belt seem to indicate that it is widespread there among women, it would seem to have a good deal of historic precedent.

QueenCat said:
Around here (Bible Belt), it is common, especially among evangelical Christians, for the girls under about 40 to have religious tattoos. More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd. I hardly know any female at church that is under 30 that does not have a tattoo.
forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

Reactions: Abigail

Abigail

Jan 29, 2022
Brookside
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Abigail :

So your brother is a tattoo artist...so was he surprised/pleased when he realized that you were an 'inkable' Christian woman that he could help express what she believed?

Interestingly, historically tattooing was apparently very widespread among 19th century high society Victorian women:

(Black Fire: Women, Tattoos, and the Transformative Power of Body Art)

So when reports today from the Bible Belt seem to indicate that it is widespread there among women, it would seem to have a good deal of historic precedent.

QueenCat said:

forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com
I don't think he was surprised because he's an inkable Christian man. ;) :D

He has the background knowledge about the history of tattoo's. We talk about such things but it isn't anything that I care to keep in my memory banks per say. He's my tatt encyclopedia. If I need to know something I'll just ask.

He's proud of his work on my tattoos. Though he agreed not to take pictures for his book because he knows that even though they'll be visible to the public at times, they're between me and God. Not subject to review by potential customers who might want to have one "just like that one".

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Not yet inspired to get more tattoos. I'm not a full body canvas type. But if the inspiration comes, we'll see.
@Abigail

You're indeed right that before the machine ever pumps into the skin, the person needs to be "ready".

Being "ready" is all about individual responsibility.

What is perhaps significant is that for those who reach the age of 18, the weeks and months and years subsequent to the big 18 seem to mark huge numbers of potential tattooees soon becoming "ready".

All the young people with whom I have spoken with Bible verses tattooed seem to have them done for evangelistic reasons.

As if they have been waiting to go, "ready" to have it done.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
.. I have no problem with someone else getting one, if they like. Wouldn't bother me a bit.

I used to get the temporary tattoos...
@Cassandra All the young ppl with whom I have talked who have had Bible verses tattooed seem anyway to have had them done for witness reasons, in the hope of being able to talk with someone about the Bible.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I have tattoos and don’t care if people like them or not. Thankful I did not get a tattoo that was regrettable in any case. Have thought about getting a new one which is a cross on top of my hand, reminding me of the Lord and to live for him daily which is hard for some even a struggle due to lack of understanding and knowledge.

@MatthewG Like you, various other posters - MetalMike, Rita, Jar, Mayflower, FHII - have likewise said they don't regret their own tattoos. Interesting also that @DaveL says he regrets not getting one:

Dave L said:
I think when I was a young Christian, a scripture or Christian art Tattoo would have helped me stake a claim as a Christian and made people aware early on. It would have helped sort out friends from the start. So I regret not having that as an option during that time. .. If I found myself in a similar situation to when I was young, I'd probably have a tattoo.

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@ScottA It's certainly not for everyone, but my wife and I talked to a shy young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area. I reckon she likely got a lot of joy in going to the tattoo parlor for a modestly placed Bible verse that would likely lead to conversations about Scripture.

Reactions: ScottA

Abigail

Jan 29, 2022
Brookside
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Abigail

Although some faith based artwork can indeed be painful, yet in terms of strategic planning it might be so effective as a witness tool that the tattooee might well judge the discomfort and expense to be well worth it.

Like this lady's, probably, for example:

45516018fa1a40096d57e71726c65f8a.jpg
pinterest
Great tool! If someone is proficient in Latin. ;)

Reactions: farouk and Lambano

Abigail

Jan 29, 2022
Brookside
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Mayflower

So you really did think it was worth it, then...

(So your tattoo artist didn't use numbing cream.)
Maybe Christian tatooees refuse the cream because their pain symbolically joins them with Christ when they get offer themselves as a living scripture bearer. :)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Maybe Christian tatooees refuse the cream because their pain symbolically joins them with Christ when they get offer themselves as a living scripture bearer. :)
@Abigail So did you avoid a numbing cream also? :)

I would hesitate to regard it as a rite; more as a pragmatic tool that works in witness conversations.

Abigail

Jan 29, 2022
Brookside
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Abigail Did you see what it means? in Christ alone, by faith alone, grace alone, etc.
Sure. I was just thinking of people who have no clue about Latin. If the tatt is to lead people to Christ I'd think those same people wouldn't know Latin the way Bible reading Christians do. Or have any understanding of the Solas.
How would we lead those people when they don't understand Latin in the first place?

I reckon you also had in view ppl understanding the faith meaning of what you got inked.
If they're football or baseball fans they've seen my Bible reference plenty of times. "John 3:16" is a sign that is often held by fans in the stands and we see those signs on TV when we watch the games.

All someone has to do if they see my tattoo is get a Bible and look up book, chapter and verse to get the message that is already tattooed , partly written, on the steps leading up to the gates of Heaven.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Sure. I was just thinking of people who have no clue about Latin. If the tatt is to lead people to Christ I'd think those same people wouldn't know Latin the way Bible reading Christians do. Or have any understanding of the Solas.
How would we lead those people when they don't understand Latin in the first place?

If they're football or baseball fans they've seen my Bible reference plenty of times. "John 3:16" is a sign that is often held by fans in the stands and we see those signs on TV when we watch the games.

All someone has to do if they see my tattoo is get a Bible and look up book, chapter and verse to get the message that is already tattooed , partly written, on the steps leading up to the gates of Heaven.
@Abigail John 3.16 is a great summary of the Gospel, isn't it? :)

I guess you don't have any hesitations/regrets about having gotten inked up with it.