Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone? (Poll included)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ronald Nolette ...especially if it "preaches well''.

FYI, (like this lady's)
45516018fa1a40096d57e71726c65f8a.jpg
pinterest

Awesome looking!!!! I wouldn't go through all that pain. I am too much of a wuss!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I can see why about the neck
@Christ4Me You can see how it's done to profusion from age 18 onward in various preferred placements; sometimes ppl who know new tattooees might be initially surprised but often it's more about seeing their transitioning to growing up than anything else. Rita said about her family's experience:

I did look through scripture and reflect on it before I got one-and it was also something I had to deal with as my sons reached 18 and got tattoos. ..With my son's it had nothing to do with my feelings as a Christian, it was more a reality check that they were making decisions that I had little control over.With me it was more an inspiration, so I felt good about it. ..I was 50 when I had mine done

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I do not believe that neighbor, whom is my Christian brother, was trying to do that with me, but I agree.
@Christ4Me So is your neighbor a young man maybe? because today among young people it's done to profusion. Conservative young ppl do it now.

juliannenw said:

I am a nurse in a cardiac ICU. I am also pretty heavily tattooed. I am a well educated, well rounded nurse, and was raised with strong morals and manners. .. I am an extremely traditional person.

allnurses dot com

Because it's also now what so many really conservative young ppl do, this would also be why many young Christians feel the door is wide open for getting witness prompting Bible verses, etc. inked in (if this makes logical sense?)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
The tattoo parlor I ventured into some 30 years ago was both tattoo and piercings.
Hugs
@Ziggy Well the industry then was big.

It's even bigger now.

It's what is done at around 18 onwards, and it's like there is an industry out there waiting for them as they turn 18.

(If they are so motivated.)

But then because it's done at 18, it does influence ppl becoming motivated.

Motivation and influence: both at work, really. Such a lot of scope for faith based witness inkings; Bible verse/ref.s, Christian fish sign <>< etc.

Reactions: Ziggy

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
She did, and they do, but she'd never used these guys for any of her tattoos.
@Lambano Yes, well I reckon it's an acquired skill to become aware of what is available in terms of tattoo and piercing services; at around 18 it's what is so widely done (both young men and women often get both earrings and tattoos) but in a sense the skill is to hone recognition of what is best among what is available; I think you mentioned your wife's son's earrings; and tattoos depend a lot on the artist and the trust s/he engenders. Perhaps it's worthwhile taking young ppl in the run up to turning 18 to a few parlors for them to learn and see whether what's available really is for them or not...

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Lambano Yes, well I reckon it's an acquired skill to become aware of what is available in terms of tattoo and piercing services; at around 18 it's what is so widely done (both young men and women often get both earrings and tattoos) but in a sense the skill is to hone recognition of what is best among what is available; I think you mentioned your wife's son's earrings; and tattoos depend a lot on the artist and the trust s/he engenders. Perhaps it's worthwhile taking young ppl in the run up to turning 18 to a few parlors for them to learn and see whether what's available really is for them or not...
Their choice of tattoo parlors was mostly based on proximity; it was only 10 minutes away, and it had a better reputation for cleanliness than the next closest, who had a well-publicized outbreak of staph infections. After she got the infection from her final tattoo, she no longer trusted that parlor. Her choice of the parlor where she got her nose pierced was based on a recommendation by a trusted friend.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
No, I never did find that!
@Mayflower No worries. I think you also mentioned about a preacher's wife when you said,
I think I saw one, but I can't remember.
Whether or not you ever figured if she did or did not, it seems often now that Godly ppl do strongly like to get inked up with conviction with Bible ref.s for really effective testimony-giving reasons.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Their choice of tattoo parlors was mostly based on proximity; it was only 10 minutes away, and it had a better reputation for cleanliness than the next closest, who had a well-publicized outbreak of staph infections. After she got the infection from her final tattoo, she no longer trusted that parlor. Her choice of the parlor where she got her nose pierced was based on a recommendation by a trusted friend.
@Lambano The trusted friend likely had a good experience getting a piercing there also. Seems like now, especially among one's peers (like among 18 year olds, etc.), if one of them gets a piercing, they all do. If one of them gets a tattoo, the same may happen.

From a business perspective, the recommendation of friends and family in tattoo/piercing establishments is probably the core of how they operate among clients.

(A lot of young Christians seem to be stimulated to get faith based tattoos when others get them also, similarly.)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Back
My daughter has a tattoo of a lion on her arm to show her powerlifting strength at the gym ... I think it looks great on her and I have no worries about it from a spiritual point of view.

@Paul Christensen Well, it's what so many young ppl (especially young women) do now, it seems, when they turn 18 or thereabouts: get their first tattoo (often followed by more).

All the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed with whom I have spoken have seemingly gotten them done for evangelistic reasons.

(Don't be surprised if your daughter gets more done also.)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
:) Yes.

Imagine this in tattoo form on my back:
c8e336d9d0ba471442c48dd5cb88df92.jpg

This is the closest facsimile I can find of it. The artist gave me my tatt art freehand years ago. I don't have the paper anymore.
It must be a nice tattoo, @Abigail . I expect you as a tattooed Christian woman must find that it "preaches well", in terms of personal testimony in reference to Jacob's ladder.

soul man wrote a while ago about how effective tattooing can be as a witness tool:

Tattooing in our day is big, if you need or want a tattoo, that is what you should have written in the biggest boldest lettering you can get. Stare at it daily, study it daily, it never gets old. It is the only message you need that flows from scripture in full depth of understanding for anyone that will pick it up and want to know something about it.

So was this faith based design your first tattoo, maybe? :)

Abigail

Jan 29, 2022
Brookside
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It must be a nice tattoo, @Abigail . I expect you as a tattooed Christian woman must find that it "preaches well", in terms of personal testimony in reference to Jacob's ladder.

soul man wrote a while ago about how effective tattooing can be as a witness tool:

So was this faith based design your first tattoo, maybe? :)
Shortly after I turned 21. . Like I said, that's a facsimile. Mine is the black and gray ink style but with a brush of color here and there. Like on the sides of the stairs. The doves are more distinguishable than there in the picture. They look like doves. While their eyes are blue shade so to stand out a bit. The clocks Roman numerals are highlighted on the black outline with a blue that isn't a constant line but breaks here and there in the line of each numerals outer border.
On the bottom step is that book and chapter I told you I had to learn when I was 5 , John 3:16, is printed on the front of the first step. In that picture it would be between the clouds at the bottom of the staircase.
Just the book reference itself. Then each step upward has each individual word of the latter part of the verse written on them.
Like So.
...That
Whosoever
Believeth
Shall
Have
Everlasting Life

On the underside of my right arm I have a cross. The foot of the cross is just before where my hand joins the wrist. There's a nail mark there on the cross itself, and nail marks on the cross beams . Red ink drops, surround the top and down to the middle of the vertical beam of the cross. And around the cross in a circle reads: "A BLOOD DONOR SAVED MY LIFE"

had to change that last part. Too many, "itself" in the paragraph. lol

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Shortly after I turned 21. . Like I said, that's a facsimile. Mine is the black and gray ink style but with a brush of color here and there. Like on the sides of the stairs. The doves are more distinguishable than there in the picture. They look like doves. While their eyes are blue shade so to stand out a bit. The clocks Roman numerals are highlighted on the black outline with a blue that isn't a constant line but breaks here and there in the line of each numerals outer border.
On the bottom step is that book and chapter I told you I had to learn when I was 5 , John 3:16, is printed on the front of the first step. In that picture it would be between the clouds at the bottom of the staircase.
Just the book reference itself. Then each step upward has each individual word of the latter part of the verse written on them.
Like So.
...That
Whosoever
Believeth
Shall
Have
Everlasting Life

On the underside of my right arm I have a cross. The foot of the cross is just before where my hand joins the wrist. There's a nail mark there on the cross itself, and nail marks on the cross beams . Red ink drops, surround the top and down to the middle of the vertical beam of the cross. And around the cross in a circle reads: "A BLOOD DONOR SAVED MY LIFE"

had to change that last part. Too many, "itself" in the paragraph. lol
@Abigail The one based on John 3.16 and the ladder must have been a very fulfilling experience getting inked up as a fairly new adult Christian; I guess in its planning and going to the parlor and having it injected it must have given you a lot of joy to think and expect that it would lead you to talk to others about John 3.16.

My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; her favorite Bible verse and mine also; and I'm sure other conversations must have arisen as a result of her willingness to go get inked with it at the parlor - which was probably the whole idea for her.

I saw your added comment about the other tattoo; I was going to ask, did you get any more faith based tattoos? but I guess I'll rephrase it, Are you open to getting any more faith based inkings?

Abigail

Jan 29, 2022
Brookside
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Abigail The one based on John 3.16 and the ladder must have been a very fulfilling experience getting inked up as a fairly new adult Christian; I guess in its planning and going to the parlor and having it injected it must have given you a lot of joy to think and expect that it would lead you to talk to others about John 3.16.

My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; her favorite Bible verse and mine also; and I'm sure other conversations must have arisen as a result of her willingness to go get inked with it at the parlor - which was probably the whole idea for her.

I saw your added comment about the other tattoo; I was going to ask, did you get any more faith based tattoos? but I guess I'll rephrase it, Are you open to getting any more faith based inkings?
For the most part the biggest question I get when people see the back tattoo is, how long did that take and did it hurt? lol
The wrist tattoo is a matter of strategic planning. I'm right handed. When I encounter people and I have to reach out, like pay for something, hand something to them, they see that tattoo.It's also in the black and gray scale but the ink drops are red. The phrase is black and gray too . So the red stands out most of all.
I've had cashiers reach to take the money in that hand and pause as they hold the bills. I know they're reading and studying the art so I stand there patiently for as long as they need.

Did I think about how the art would maybe speak to people? I did it for myself mostly since it was my body being committed to canvas. I figured if I was inspired to get this, being it was some 15 years after being saved, it must have been meant to be by God himself. Because the back image was from a dream that carried on for three nights. It would always start the same way and end the same way. I'm walking through this woods that was brilliantly colorful and as I get to the edge of the woodline and break through that tattoo is what I saw. No way a tattoo artist could mix those colors. And the clouds were moving.
If a animated gif tattoo is ever possible my brother is going to make a fortune. lol

I figured after three nights of having that same dream and a brother who owns a shop, somethings sending a message. It took about two weeks to get the design down as close as I could come to the sketch I made on the dream journal page beside my bed. And all in all about six months to finish. The outline first of course. I'm patient. And not fond of needles or the pain.

The wrist tattoo came after my BFF gifted me a tank top for my workouts that had that phrase and a regular type cross on it. I just got all artistic and wanted the tattoo design to be a little more stylish. I like black and grey tatt art. And my brother is gifted in the medium so it all worked out.

Sorry, didn't answer that other question you had. Not yet inspired to get more tattoos. I'm not a full body canvas type. But if the inspiration comes, we'll see.