Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone? (Poll included)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Christ4Me Sometimes a small, judiciously place tattoo can be quite effective in stimulating conversations.

For those who are averse to receiving ink over a large expanse of skin, small faith based tattoos may indeed suffice, right?

Still, it looks like painful process to me.

Better to show others we are Christians by our love than by tattoos and wearing necklaces with crosses.

There are a lot of people wearing necklaces with crosses on them lacking love for others. Mabe if they leave their crosses at home, they be more trusting of Jesus Christ when they live each day in loving others as we should.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Still, it looks like painful process to me.

Better to show others we are Christians by our love than by tattoos and wearing necklaces with crosses.

There are a lot of people wearing necklaces with crosses on them lacking love for others. Mabe if they leave their crosses at home, they be more trusting of Jesus Christ when they live each day in loving others as we should.
@Christ4Me Oh I strongly agree about the prior importance of inward and spiritual exercise and Christian conduct.

Like you say, it can be painful, but the young lady with whom my wife and I talked with the wording of John 3.16 - her favorite Bible verse - tattooed on her wrist area evidently felt that the joy of going to the tattoo parlor to receive such a Scripture verse inking was well worth the discomfort.

It's what they do at around 18, and this is evidently how she herself wanted to do it.

Reactions: Christ4Me

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Back

@Not me I know it's not for everyone but faith based tattoos are so widespread now among Christians, aren't they?

I hold true, that what is on the outside cannot inherit the kingdom of God, so therefore I give it little mind…

Be blessed in your relationship with Him, Not me

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I hold true, that what is on the outside cannot inherit the kingdom of God, so therefore I give it little mind…

Be blessed in your relationship with Him, Not me
@Not me Good point; I think really they are often done by Christians out of sheer pragmatism, in the knowledge that the do act as effective conversation-starters. All the young people with Bible verses tattooed with whom I have spoken seem to have gotten them done for evangelistic reasons. I.e., they certainly do work as conversation-starters, and not because of some intrinsic value to getting pumped with ink.

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Not me Good point; I think really they are often done by Christians out of sheer pragmatism, in the knowledge that the do act as effective conversation-starters. All the young people with Bible verses tattooed with whom I have spoken seem to have gotten them done for evangelistic reasons. I.e., they certainly do work as conversation-starters, and not because of some intrinsic value to getting pumped with ink.

‘Let each person be firmly convinced’

In the Beloved, Not me

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
She did, and they do, but she'd never used these guys for any of her tattoos.
@Lambano Really wishing to get pierced, and really wishing to get tattooed, are things which can both be experienced strongly. But they won't necessarily involve procedures under the same roof.

Seems anyway like your wife expects to exercise discernment about where she has them done, and won't just take on trust that because a place that inks also pierces she should have piercing done there also....

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Tattooing was not considered an "essential service".
@Lambano I can understand how at the time they would have said that.

I can also understand that because pragmatically a faith related tattoo can be such an effective tool in witness conversations, that some Christians might attach a great deal of priority to getting one. For instance, all the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed with whom I have spoken seem to have had them done as witness tools. I can understand how a young lady with whom my wife and I talked with a John 3.16 tattoo modestly placed on her wrist area would likely have gone with joy and determination in her heart to the tattoo parlor.

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Not me Yes, I can just imagine young men and women and older reading Romans 14 and either going to the parlor firmly convinced to get inked up, or else not going to the parlor firmly convinced.

Yes, good call, I do believe that is the truth being portrayed…. :)

In His love, Not me

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
..it is not my cup of tea, but if they fee l a burden form god to do it-- go for it to the glory of God.

@Ronald Nolette ...especially if it "preaches well''.

FYI, (like this lady's)
45516018fa1a40096d57e71726c65f8a.jpg
pinterest

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes, good call, I do believe that is the truth being portrayed…. :)

In His love, Not me
@Not me Ppl do appear to want strongly to go for the witness opportunities it affords, since what you say seems generally compatible with the understanding of others who have posted about very widely expanding practice, anyway...

Nancy said:
tattoos ... everyone and their grandmothers has them now .. Pretty much every one I know, and that includes Christians and myself, have a tattoo so...I am not criticizing anybody here or anywhere...

Heavenhome said:
My dear Dad had two tattoos but that was from his navy days.
I have noticed however that lots of young girls have them and what is really noticeable is a huge amount are women say around their sixties.
christianforums