Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone? (Poll included)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Can you imagine if we were all the same? Boring!
@Truman I suppose your son's mother thought for him it would add some individuality as he became an adult, right?

It was probably something he wanted to do anyway, but she likely thought it would be a way of expressing his personality.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@TLHKAJ Yes. Getting tattooed for closure, would probably make a good title or summary for what's on the video, right?
I like the title of the video much better, actually...
"Called by Name: an Incredible Chosen Story"

The tattoos aren't the main focus.

Reactions: farouk

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Truman I suppose your son's mother thought for him it would add some individuality as he became an adult, right?

It was probably something he wanted to do anyway, but she likely thought it would be a way of expressing his personality.
Maybe.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Her encouraging it is not a given...she may have just allowed it.
@Truman Well, I see. Sounds like your son was really motivated to get it, right?

A lot are, at that sort of age, really. Often it's preceded by ear piercing; then they graduate to the tattoo as they become adults, right?

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@TLHKAJ Although branding as well as tattooing - distinct from each other - is a recognized form of bodyart, it's particularly terrible to do it when forced. No wonder she found it traumatic.
I don't think it's something that God particularly honors ...especially carving and branding. These people who brand and carve their victims do so in a brutal way, and I don't see that as an honorable practice under any circumstances. I know another survivor who was brutally carved on her body by her handlers. It happens a lot. I suffered something similar, which was more of a mutilation to punish me.

And honestly, I'm not a fan of getting tattoos for the sake of individuality or self expression, etc. I do respect my daughter as well as this young woman for their reasons behind getting a tattoo.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I don't think it's something that God particularly honors ...especially carving and branding. These people who brand and carve their victims do so in a brutal way, and I don't see that as an honorable practice under any circumstances. I know another survivor who was brutally carved on her body by her handlers. It happens a lot. I suffered something similar, which was more of a mutilation to punish me.

And honestly, I'm not a fan of getting tattoos for the sake of individuality or self expression, etc. I do respect my daughter as well as this young woman for their reasons behind getting a tattoo.
@TLHKAJ Seems like your daughter and this young woman in question have had really special reasons for doing it, like you imply.

And yes, branding/carving is a lot more invasive a procedure than tattooing. Wanting to receive the inking needle for special reasons, and being branded/carved are only superficially comparable but really a lot different to one another; apples and oranges, really.

Sorry indeed to learn of your own past mutilation experience. I see why you would think that - at least theoretically - tattooing in special circumstances could be seen as a way of mitigating somewhat a carving/branding experience and represent some kind of closure.

(The 'punishing' aspect you mention seems particularly sad and traumatic.)