Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone? (Poll included)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
PS: @AceWestfall08 I think that this is a reason why some Christians seem to keep getting tattoos even if others have quit having it done: Amanda Wachob (not even writing in the context of Christian tattoo designs) said:

“It’s amazing how my tattoos have connected people. And given people a reason to speak to each other when maybe there wasn’t a reason before to talk to a stranger.” femaletattooers dot com

When ppl are isolated and don't get to talk to others, a faith based (Bible ref., etc.) design might well serve to get ppl talking when otherwise conversations might not have come about. And some would say, Presumably we want opportunities to talk to ppl.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes,I can see tattoos as a conversation starter!
I never meet a stranger anywhere!
Talking and conversation seems to one of my blessings...............others may think not....lol.

@L3astAm0ngManyB13ss3d

I saw this quote which seems to explain why Christians use them as conversation-starting tools:

Amanda Wachob (not even writing in the context of Christian tattoo designs) said:

“It’s amazing how my tattoos have connected people. And given people a reason to speak to each other when maybe there wasn’t a reason before to talk to a stranger.” femaletattooers dot com

And interestingly the quote is from someone who is not even speaking from a Christian context, but who is affirming that they do work as things that get people talking to one another. I'm not saying that this is what all Christians ought to get, or anything like that, but anyway some would say, Presumably we want opportunities to talk to ppl about what we earnestly believe?

(cc @Ronald Nolette )

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
My daughter is 56 and just got her first ones @farouk
120301499_10224046446410301_6269603216099838004_o.jpg

One on each wrist with her children's names.
@Pearl Re. what you said there back a bit; it can be a constant and vivid way to have a reminder to pray for those whose names they are of.....maybe, right?

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Someone at the drug store asked my wife about her tattoos last Friday. It was a good opportunity to witness. .. I’ll do a detailed inventory later, but I think the total is now an even dozen. No regrets
@Lambano Kind of, with that amount of them and with their effective witness use, probably now reached a serene, default level and amount of ink, I suppose...

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
.. so many people and friends I know have them. All four of my kids have at-least 1 on them somewhere. My 2 boys have the most and girls have 1..
@Christophany

What you say reminds me of what Nancy posted:

Nancy said:
tattoos ... everyone and their grandmothers has them now and, they do not a thing for me, what can I say? Pretty much every one I know, and that includes Christians and myself, have a tattoo so...I am not criticizing anybody here or anywhere...

I guess it shows why a lot of Christians find in faith tattoo designs scope for witness tools, right?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Can you imagine if we were all the same? Boring!
@Truman

A quote, from seanmcdowell dot org:

Nearly 4 in 10 Millennials have a tattoo, roughly 50% have 2 to 5 tattoos, and 18% have 6 or more.12 In her book GENERATION ME, sociologist Jean Twenge wrote, “Tattoos are a medium for self-expression and the communication of individuality. They fit the generational trend perfectly: they are outward expressions of the inner self. They allow you to be different and unique. It’s so important to be an individual, and to communicate that fact to others, that young people routinely tattoo it onto their skin.”

Like you say, it seems to be about expressing individuality.

No wonder that believers use faith based tattoos to express what's on their hearts, right?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I had a whole night of feeling something cold breathing on my neck, where my tattoo is.

That did not last- I prayed about that.
@FluffyYellowDuck It may just be the effect of the ink in the skin; I wouldn't think that it means you were being 'jinxed' or something.

It could be that when you had the tattoo injected, the needles could have gone in quite deep, near some glands, etc. Admittedly, the neck is quite a sought after placement for a tattoo, so you are probably far from alone (a local tattoo artist might be able to confirm this or advise).

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Tattoos - as in continually getting/needing more of them can be an addiction.
PS:
@Goldie75 Your comment reminded me; there is actually a tattoo parlor in Florida called 'Addicted to Tattoos'.

It's probably more of a play on words, to some extent; although the lady that is the proprietor has a vested interest in people getting tattooed.... (Like anyone selling anything, really...)