Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone? (Poll included)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
@GodsGrace So...did you see your friends again at all recently?
See her all the time.
My daughter's neighbor.
No new tattoos for her.

But listen to this:
A friend in London, a very young 50, got her first tattoo about 3 weeks ago. She's married, no children. She got her parents names on her arm.
I think that's so unusual.
Then she had a couple of hearts under the names...
Now she doesn't like the hearts.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
See her all the time.
My daughter's neighbor.
No new tattoos for her.

But listen to this:
A friend in London, a very young 50, got her first tattoo about 3 weeks ago. She's married, no children. She got her parents names on her arm.
Now she doesn't like the hearts.
@GodsGrace

Interesting....

So were you surprised at this news about the new - and first - tattoo from your friend in London?

It used to be mainly a man thing, many years ago.

But not any more, right?

(I think Rita said she had hers done when she was 50; and I think @Pearl's daughter was about the same age, she said.)

Last edited:

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@L3astAm0ngManyB13ss3d So did you ever visit a tattoo parlor to look at the portfolio artwork without obligation? (and maybe be reminded of your son's memorable tattoos?)

No, I haven't. I have pics and videos of him with them exposed.

I asked my cardiologist Fri, if I could get a tattoo of my son's and daughters names tattooed on my inner fore arm. I see him bc I'm prone to blood clots and am on a blood thinner. He said stop it for 48 hrs then go for it.

At 65, I've decided the Lord has blessed me thus far above and beyond my genetic inheritance, so I'm gonna do the things I've thought of but let fear keep me from.

I want them written in calligraphy!

Reactions: Lambano

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
No, I haven't. I have pics and videos of him with them exposed.

I asked my cardiologist Fri, if I could get a tattoo of my son's and daughters names tattooed on my inner fore arm. I see him bc I'm prone to blood clots and am on a blood thinner. He said stop it for 48 hrs then go for it.

At 65, I've decided the Lord has blessed me thus far above and beyond my genetic inheritance, so I'm gonna do the things I've thought of but let fear keep me from.

I want them written in calligraphy!
Hi @L3astAm0ngManyB13ss3d Your idea as an intending tattooee reminds me of Exodus 28.19:

"And Aaron shall bear the names of the children of Israel in the breastplate of judgment upon his heart, when he goeth in unto the holy place, for a memorial before the Lord continually."

And yes, you mentioned that you are in your 60s; Heavenhome in a comment a while ago indeed mentioned that a huge number of women in their 60s are getting tattooed:

Heavenhome said:
My dear Dad had two tattoos but that was from his navy days.
I have noticed however that lots of young girls have them and what is really noticeable is a huge amount are women say around their sixties .
christianforums

Heavenhome's observation that she makes is indeed that it's what a huge amount of women in their 60s are doing (it's likely often that when they have family and faith themes that motivate them deeply it's what they do; it seems to be a strongly desired huge trend).

Did you get a parlor appointment? you'll likely have to go back later after you talk to the artist about what exactly you desire to have.

Last edited:
Reactions: L.A.M.B.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
If I had it to do over I'd definitely pass.
@Qoheleth My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of the lettering of John 3.16 painstakingly machined into her wrist area; and it indeed seemed to work in causing the conversation; and I'm sure other conversations have arisen also. All the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed with whom I have spoken have seemingly received them for witness reasons, anyway.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Qoheleth My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of the lettering of John 3.16 painstakingly machined into her wrist area; and it indeed seemed to work in causing the conversation; and I'm sure other conversations have arisen also. All the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed with whom I have spoken have seemingly received them for witness reasons, anyway.
Well, I guess if one is of the mind that the prohibitions of body markings and cuttings in the old testament are strictly a concern of Judaism, then they will feel justified in whatever they want to do in that regard.

So much of what has been socially and religiously acceptable has changed over the last 50 or so years, that it just makes my head spin. My dad tells me that he never had such surreal culture shock to the extent that I have.

It's easier in real life because people aren't always trying to pry judgment calls from one another the way they do online and in the media.

I'll never forget Perez Hilton's assault on that poor beauty pageant girl—like an essential qualification for a beauty queen is endorsing something she believes is wrong. How manipulatively and calculatingly disgusting that was.

Back to tattoos, far be it from me to try to hinder anyone from making informed, uninhibited, and conscientious decisions regarding faith and morals, but for me, it's a non-starter upon which, unfortunately, I got off to an early start.

I'd prefer to err on the side of caution when it comes to obeying God. That's offensive to a lot of people, I know, but there it is.

I wouldn't think people need my blessing when they want to do something I wouldn't do over again. For some reason, I kinda feel like you're trying to sell me something here, farouk. Maybe I'm just imagining things. Do you have skin in this game? lol

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Well, I guess if one is of the mind that the prohibitions of body markings and cuttings in the old testament are strictly a concern of Judaism, then they will feel justified in whatever they want to do in that regard.

So much of what has been socially and religiously acceptable has changed over the last 50 or so years, that it just makes my head spin. My dad tells me that he never had such surreal culture shock to the extent that I have.

It's easier in real life because people aren't always trying to pry judgment calls from one another the way they do online and in the media.

I'll never forget Perez Hilton's assault on that poor beauty pageant girl—like an essential qualification for a beauty queen is endorsing something she believes is wrong. How manipulatively and calculatingly disgusting that was.

Back to tattoos, far be it from me to try to hinder anyone from making informed, uninhibited, and conscientious decisions regarding faith and morals, but for me, it's a non-starter upon which, unfortunately, I got off to an early start.

I'd prefer to err on the side of caution when it comes to obeying God. That's offensive to a lot of people, I know, but there it is.

I wouldn't think people need my blessing when they want to do something I wouldn't do over again. For some reason, I kinda feel like you're trying to sell me something here, farouk. Maybe I'm just imagining things. Do you have skin in this game? lol
Oh you're BarnyFIfe..... :) I hadn't made the connection, @Qoheleth .... :)

Thanks.....

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
No sweat, my friend. :D

How do you like my makeover?
Interesting.....and I see you put a small version of your former avatar into your current one...

I think Qoheleth - the Preacher - is a subtitle of Ecclesiastes, right?

Not so many Ecclesiastes quote tattoos; often ppl - esp. young ppl - get NT quotes or ones from Psalms, Isaiah, etc.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
PS: @Mantis Did you see this post, above, by GodsGrace from some days ago?

But listen to this:

I know GodsGrace thinks it's unusual; well, fine. But I don't.

I don't think it's unusual at all, do you?