Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone? (Poll included)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We all have our different opinions, but from a practical point of view it is hard for me to dismiss the fact that all the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed with whom I have spoken seem to have received them as conversation-starting witness tools, which manifestly do work in their intended purpose.

If God instructed the young people to get a tattoo, then that is God's business. But for you to push the tattoo tool, as hard as you do, is not okay IMHO. That is overstepping the mark.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tattoos aren't for me, but I have no problem if ithers want them. As long as they aren't filthy or promote evil.
The Bible teaches that people shouldn't mark or cut their bodies, but God-given liberty of conscience dictates that people choose whether or not to obey God based on their perception of what the Bible teaches, which is as it should be. However, Christians today like to say that "under the old covenant, if you believe this (no body markings or cuttings), you have to believe that (long sideburns), too," unless, of course, it's an item that just happens to be on their agenda, like homosexuality, crossdressing, etc. The Old Testament is a believer's buffet now.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Qoheleth Do preachers shave?

(If so they are tacitly admitting that they are NT Christians with the Gospel being the rule of their life, rather than Old Testament Jews in the land with bushy beards.)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Tattoos aren't for me, but I have no problem if ithers want them. As long as they aren't filthy or promote evil.
@Ronald Nolette I can understand a believer strongly wanting to get a Bible verse tattoo....

......but being a bit anxious and nervous because s/he hasn't had one done before, but eventually finding the courage to do it...

.... and then afterwards — especially on days when the Bible verse tattoo has been the cause of challenging or encouraging someone — being able to go to bed that night thoroughly satisfied that it has made a difference.

Reactions: Ronald Nolette

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible teaches that people shouldn't mark or cut their bodies, but God-given liberty of conscience dictates that people choose whether or not to obey God based on their perception of what the Bible teaches, which is as it should be. However, Christians today like to say that "under the old covenant, if you believe this (no body markings or cuttings), you have to believe that (long sideburns), too," unless, of course, it's an item that just happens to be on their agenda, like homosexuality, crossdressing, etc. The Old Testament is a believer's buffet now.

That is the Old Testament which was for Israel. If you demand that the church obey that part of the Mosaic Law- you have to demand they obey the dietary, clothing, ceremonial and family laws! But Christr fulfilled all 613 commands of the Mosaic Law (including the ten in stone) so now we can or not depending on conscience.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is the Old Testament which was for Israel. If you demand that the church obey that part of the Mosaic Law- you have to demand they obey the dietary, clothing, ceremonial and family laws! But Christr fulfilled all 613 commands of the Mosaic Law (including the ten in stone) so now we can or not depending on conscience.
Yeah, yeah, yeah. I've heard it all before—'God is divided.'

What about the 1,050 commands in the New Testament?

Are we 'under' that law?

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Qoheleth Hebrews 7.12 shows that the law was changed.

What we now have is better than the law; Hebrews 7.19.
We've been over this, my friend. The law that was changed was the law regarding the priesthood. It's as plain as day in the text. And it wasn't really even changed—it was replaced by the Melchizadek order. It has nothing to do with the way we practice stewardship of our bodies which are the temple of the Holy Spirit.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
We've been over this, my friend. The law that was changed was the law regarding the priesthood. It's as plain as day in the text. And it wasn't really even changed—it was replaced by the Melchizadek order. It has nothing to do with the way we practice stewardship of our bodies which are the temple of the Holy Spirit.
Most believers from a dispensational church background would agree that we are not under the law as the Old Testament saints were.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I think at least in the 20s would be a good age to start.
@GodsGrace There's probably even a case for the parents of young ppl at around 18 or so to talk over with them aspects of tattooing that are worth avoiding and even take them on a visit without obligation to a tattoo parlor so that eventually when they do have their first parlor session it will more likely for something sensible and well thought out and less likely to be regretted in the long term...

Reactions: GodsGrace

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
@GodsGrace There's probably even a case for the parents of young ppl at around 18 or so to talk over with them aspects of tattooing that are worth avoiding and even take them on a visit without obligation to a tattoo parlor so that eventually when they do have their first parlor session it will more likely for something sensible and well thought out and less likely to be regretted in the long term...
I'd have to agree but only if the young person is displaying an interest in getting a tattoo.
Some parents just forbid it and the person ends up getting one anyway and maybe making a mistake.
I think we must all know of cases like this...

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I'd have to agree but only if the young person is displaying an interest in getting a tattoo.
Some parents just forbid it and the person ends up getting one anyway and maybe making a mistake.
I think we must all know of cases like this...
@GodsGrace

Yes, indeed.

If they display an interest; understood.

It's so widespread; it's what's done now, confidently.

Like you said a while ago:

GodsGrace said:
almost every young girl I know has some sort of tatoo.
Even those very conservative types.

Like FHII said:

Probably 75% of the congregation have tattoos, including myself and the Pastor ..
I have a tattoo, I am not ashamed of it, but it has no bearing on my salvation. ..I also agree that it makes a statement of freedom in Christ.

The 'trick' I guess is so that the young ppl don't get over-confident and rush into inkings without being well informed...

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most believers from a dispensational church background would agree that we are not under the law as the Old Testament saints were.
No doubt

I haven't a dispensational bone in my body.

Not for the last 32 years, anyway.

Being 'under the law' just means a condition of trying to gain salvation by the merit of one's own works.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
No doubt

I haven't a dispensational bone in my body.

Not for the last 32 years, anyway.

Being 'under the law' just means a condition of trying to gain salvation by the merit of one's own works.
I think this is for instance why many Christians from a dispensational background feel that, seeing as the Gospel (as opposed to the law,as per the 1689 confession) is the rule of the believer's life, then a faith based tattoo as a witness means is something in the area of personal responsibility and freedom , as per Romans 14.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think this is for instance why many Christians from a dispensational background feel that, seeing as the Gospel (as opposed to the law,as per the 1689 confession) is the rule of the believer's life, then a faith based tattoo as a witness means is something in the area of personal responsibility and freedom , as per Romans 14.
Again, no doubt