Faithful and Just to Forgive . . .

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
19 Then shall ye do unto him, as he had thought to have done unto his brother: so shalt thou put the evil away from among you.

That means they are put out of the camp to be alone in the desert. How many survive the desert?

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm quoting a few passages that show intentional sins that are not punishable by death under the law in the Old Testament.

Of course, that is under that covenant. All sin kills, according to Romans 5.

There is the covenant made with God and Israel, and there is also a certain reality about sin itself.

Much love!

The second time the ox gored someone, did the owner make the ox gore again?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That means they are put out of the camp to be alone in the desert. How many survive the desert?
I see this a repudiation of the evil, but not the person.

19 Then shall ye do unto him, as he had thought to have done unto his brother: so shalt thou put the evil away from among you.

If the false witness would have cost their victim $1000, then fine them $1000. If it would have cost them a hand, then chop their hand.

Even still, this is not specified as a capital offense, even banishment is not the same as stoning.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The second time the ox gored someone, did the owner make the ox gore again?
The owner made the choice to not secure their ox which was known to gore. Could it get out on it's own? Sure. But do you see the point I'm making? There are a number of examples in the Law where we can clearly see intentional sins that do not receive the death sentence.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@marks

If sin is sin and all sin is intentional, what is a trespass?
In the New Testament, trespass, from paraptoma, is to fall alongside.

In Ephesians 2:1, we were dead in trespasses and sins, so trespasses are enough to kill. Sin kills.

In 2 Corinthians 5, "God was in Christ, reconciling the world to Himself, not imputing their trespasses against them", so trespasses separate us from God, but God removes them in Christ.

In the Sermon on the Mount, as Jesus teaches on forgiveness, it is in forgiving the trespasses of others, so your trespasses may be forgiven.

14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:
15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Let me ask you . . .

Luke 17
3 Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him.
4 And if he trespass against thee seven times in a day, and seven times in a day turn again to thee, saying, I repent; thou shalt forgive him.

How do you repent from unintentional and unknowing sin? You can regret having done it. You can repudiate the act. You can make restitution.

But how do you turn in your mind to stop doing what you never meant to do? If it wasn't in your mind to sin . . . trespass . . . than how to you trade that for the new mind?

If trespass is specifically unintentional and unknowing, are you really doing it 7 times a day? Slow learner?

Seriously though.

What makes a trespass more OK than a sin? Both fall short of God's glory, meanwhile, we are made partakers of God's nature, and have within us to walk in His Spirit, without sin and without trespass.

Much love!

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

They are one and the same.

If the false witness would have cost their victim $1000, then fine them $1000. If it would have cost them a hand, then chop their hand.

Even still, this is not specified as a capital offense, even banishment is not the same as stoning.

Much love!
How do you get the evil out without the person?

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the New Testament, trespass, from paraptoma, is to fall alongside.

In Ephesians 2:1, we were dead in trespasses and sins, so trespasses are enough to kill. Sin kills.

In 2 Corinthians 5, "God was in Christ, reconciling the world to Himself, not imputing their trespasses against them", so trespasses separate us from God, but God removes them in Christ.

In the Sermon on the Mount, as Jesus teaches on forgiveness, it is in forgiving the trespasses of others, so your trespasses may be forgiven.

14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:
15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Let me ask you . . .

Luke 17
3 Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him.
4 And if he trespass against thee seven times in a day, and seven times in a day turn again to thee, saying, I repent; thou shalt forgive him.

How do you repent from unintentional and unknowing sin? You can regret having done it. You can repudiate the act. You can make restitution.

But how do you turn in your mind to stop doing what you never meant to do? If it wasn't in your mind to sin . . . trespass . . . than how to you trade that for the new mind?

If trespass is specifically unintentional and unknowing, are you really doing it 7 times a day? Slow learner?

Seriously though.

What makes a trespass more OK than a sin? Both fall short of God's glory, meanwhile, we are made partakers of God's nature, and have within us to walk in His Spirit, without sin and without trespass.

Much love!

How is a trespass different than a transgression?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They are one and the same.

How do you get the evil out without the person?
Satisfy the requirement of the Law. It's just as written. Impose the correct penalty on the wrongdoer, and this puts the evil away from them. Sins that did not require death were dealt with in the ways prescribed, in the case of the false witness that they receive what they would have meted out, which could included death, but might not.

Justice is satisfied, and the people responded to the evil work with what God told them to do. Overcome evil with good. Follow God's way when confronting evil, and that will overcome the evil.

That's how I see it.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How is a trespass different than a transgression?
We're getting into parsing words, trespass, sin, transgression, iniquity, wickedness, doing wickedly, walking according to the flesh, all are falling short of His glory.

But in Christ we can live according to Christ.

Much love!

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We're getting into parsing words, trespass, sin, transgression, iniquity, wickedness, doing wickedly, walking according to the flesh, all are falling short of His glory.

But in Christ we can live according to Christ.

Much love!

A transgression is willful. Is a trespass willful? Show me the definition of a trespass.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A transgression is willful. Is a trespass willful? Show me the definition of a trespass.
Are we contending for the right to commit trespasses?

The definition for trespass does not include a statement of intent.

The word simply means to fall alongside. That's why I showed some of it's usage, so show that trespass is used pretty much the same as sin, which simply means to miss the target, or standard, and equally does not show intent in the definition of the word.

We fall, we miss, and all is beneath God's glory, to which we are measured. We will fall short, no matter what you call it, it's not God's Gold Standard, as it were.

But in the Spirit we live our new nature which is righteous and holy.

Much love!

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You are right, only willful sins show intent. Trespasses are unintentionally committed.

Leviticus 5:15
“If a person commits a trespass, and sins unintentionally in regard to the holy things of the Lord, then he shall bring to the Lord as his trespass offering a ram without blemish from the flocks, with your valuation in shekels of silver according to the shekel of the sanctuary, as a trespass offering.

Now if you still want to argue that all sin is intentional, then I'm just not getting through to you. You don't want my help. You've got it all figured out. ;)

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are we contending for the right to commit trespasses?

The word simply means to fall alongside. That's why I showed some of it's usage, so show that trespass is used pretty much the same as sin, which simply means to miss the target, or standard, and equally does not show intent in the definition of the word.

We fall, we miss, and all is beneath God's glory, to which we are measured. We will fall short, no matter what you call it, it's not God's Gold Standard, as it were.

But in the Spirit we live our new nature which is righteous and holy.

Much love!

John said that he is teaching his children so they WON'T SIN. I don't want the right to sin. But if we do commit an unknown trespass then as we forgive others their trespasses against us, Jesus is then our Advocate to cleanse ours. (No repentance mentioned in 1 John 2:1 so we know He is not our advocate for willful sins.)

JPPT1974

Flowers of May
Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 23, 2012
East TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah as it is easy to forgive those lovingly those who would accept. But those that are not loving and not easy to forgive it is not easy but with God's help we need Him Lord to help us to forgive. So that all of us can be helped in moved on.

Reactions: marks and Nancy

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are right, only willful sins show intent. Trespasses are unintentionally committed.
That's not what I said.

I said that in the definitions of paraptoma, trespass, and hamartia, sin, neither definition contains a statement of intent one way of the other.

Just the same, would you not agree that stealing and lying about someone else, that these are things that are intentionally done?

Much love!

Reactions: Nancy

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah as it is easy to forgive those lovingly those who would accept. But those that are not loving and not easy to forgive it is not easy but with God's help we need Him Lord to help us to forgive. So that all of us can be helped in moved on.
Understanding how completely forgiven we are helps us to show that generosity to others, I think.

Much love!

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just the same, would you not agree that stealing and lying about someone else, that these are things that are intentionally done?

Much love!

Of course. And there are no sacrifices to cover them.

Last edited:

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Are you talking about the gifts? You miss the point if you think the wickedness has to do with God's gifts. It meant that even though there will be some who do wonderful things in Jesus name, secretly their hearts are wicked. I'm afraid for some TV evangelists who are so money hungry they become extortionists promoting "seed faith".
Ye theres many of them around.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What is faith if that person still sins in the flesh? Jesus came to free us from sin, not freedom to sin. Which is it in your mind. You worry me. Are you turning the grace of God into licentiousness? Do you believe the doctrine that we will always sin in the flesh and belief in Jesus does nothing to stop you? Have you convinced yourself that God knows we are weak so sent His Son to take the penalty for the sins, but He gives you no power to stop you from committing? I hope not. So the bottom line is, do you fulfill the lust of your flesh, or walk in the Spirit?
Why, dont your trust Jesus to see you through. Jesus isnt worried, Gods not worried and so therefore I am not worried,

It is finished.