Falling for the romance scammers

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm always amazed at how some people start sending money so easily to someone they have never met.
Especially people that meet someone at dating sites.

This woman gave a romance scammer over $500,000! Even sold her home to do that.

She had an audio of his voice. Even I could detect the African accent. Most of the romance scammers operate out of Nigeria.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: TLHKAJ and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm always amazed at how some people start sending money so easily to someone they have never met.

She had an audio of his voice. Even I could detect the African accent. Most of the romance scammers operate out of Nigeria.

There are so many of them now! One big one is they pretend to be on an oil rig and talk you up to hook you in, they even use others profiles and pics pretending that they are them. It's horrible. The oil rig ones ask you (after you are hooked) to get them phone cards up to 300 bucks so they can continue to contact with you. One such man is using Hakan Celik from Turkey: 1693068028003.png He is a newscaster and how the guy got info on him is beyond me. So much these people are going to have to answer to!

Reactions: Debp

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He is a newscaster and how the guy got info on him is beyond me. So much these people are going to have to answer to!

The last half of the above video explains how the scammers operate....first half is the woman victim's story.

In the video, apparently the Nigerian scammer looked up some innocent older man on the Internet. He then used the facts and some photos of the guy's life.

This particular YouTube channel always shows the victim's story and also what their investigation uncovered which is interesting.

The lady said even her priest warned her it's a scam....she didn't listen!

Reactions: Nancy

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
P.S. I only watched Dr. Phil a bit. Most of those times were the romance scammers.

Phil would send or hire local investigators to go to the sites where the scammers would tell the women they were living, etc.
One time the investigator found an empty storefront where the woman was mailing her letters to. Scammer told her it was an apartment building.

Another investigator (for a different scammer) went to a little grocery store. The scammer claimed he was living on the street there homeless. Also, claimed he bought his food there.
The investigator showed photos of the guy to the store owner and some neighborhood people. No one ever saw the guy in the photos.

Another scammer told the woman he was stranded in Jamaica.... could not get across the border! Dr. Phil yelled "There are no borders..... Jamaica is an island!"
Same scammer told her he took a boat from Africa to Jamaica in five days.
Dr. Phil said the fastest ship in the world couldn't make that trip in five days!

• Angry
Reactions: Nancy

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Years ago I was on a dating site and I could spot 'em a mile away. I had fun trolling them with all sorts of nonsense. I once tried to sell one of them a timeshare. True story. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Nancy and Debp

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Years ago I was on a dating site and I could spot 'em a mile away. I had fun trolling them with all sorts of nonsense. I once tried to sell one of them a timeshare. True story. :)

It's a shame the world got this way with scammers.
But it's good to be aware that there are scammers, and that they often take alot of money from gullible, lonely people.

The lady in the video in post one had children and grandchildren. And she gave over half a million to that scammer!
She had to take a job after that. Her dead husband had left her well provided... until she gave it away.

• Sad
Reactions: Patrick1966

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's a shame the world got this way with scammers.
But it's good to be aware that there are scammers, and that they often take alot of money from gullible, lonely people.

The lady in the video in post one had children and grandchildren. And she gave over half a million to that scammer!
She had to take a job after that. Her dead husband had left her well provided... until she gave it away.

The person who did that to her is likely facing a horrific experience in the hereafter.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Sad. Imagine how deep loneliness overcomes rationality and common sense.
Praying for those poor sad people.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the later part of the video, they say the Nigerians that do the scams are often very young guys. So he might still be living...
I must be careful not to condemn because I was once a young guy who did unkind things to others, but nothing on the scale described here.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I must be careful not to condemn because I was once a young guy who did unkind things to others, but nothing on the scale described here.
I cannot judge because on one occasion I was like those women.
I gave nowhere near that kind of money over. But I did buy things for someone who feigned a need.
Someone early on warned me of him, I paid no heed. And even told him. I knew how he spoke of her reflected on who and what he was. Yet, I paid no heed.

It was but for a very short time. Though at its end I learned quite a bit about myself.
Giving made me feel needed and appreciated. Something my then relationship lacked. That was but one lesson learned. It changed me for the better.

And as such, is judged as worth every penny.

Years later I saw them pulling a new scam on Go Fund Me no less.
They had only grown worse.

Sad. My prayers surround them and all in their circle.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I cannot judge because on one occasion I was like those women.
I gave nowhere near that kind of money over. But I did buy things for someone who feigned a need.
Someone early on warned me of him, I paid no heed. And even told him. I knew how he spoke of her reflected on who and what he was. Yet, I paid no heed.

It was but for a very short time. Though at its end I learned quite a bit about myself.
Giving made me feel needed and appreciated. Something my then relationship lacked. That was but one lesson learned. It changed me for the better.

And as such, is judged as worth every penny.

Years later I saw them pulling a new scam on Go Fund Me no less.
They had only grown worse.

Sad. My prayers surround them and all in their circle.

You sound like a Godly woman.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My brother in law who is now deceased used to fall for that stuff all the time. I would tell him that it's not an actual woman he was talking to. He wouldn't listen and would send them his SSI money from disability. He was mentally retarded to some degree but functioned somewhat. One time he was allowed to talk to the person on the phone, he had a guys voice and sounded like he was from Mexico.

My brother in law finally moved away with his sister, she convinced him to move and she led him into a homeless escapade. He shortly began having strokes and heart attacks. When he was on life support they found out that he had a brain tumor. Sad really.

It is clear to me that these scammers will end up in hell. They are cruel and harm people. And hell is where people like that end up.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My brother in law who is now deceased used to fall for that stuff all the time. I would tell him that it's not an actual woman he was talking to. He wouldn't listen and would send them his SSI money from disability. He was mentally retarded to some degree but functioned somewhat. One time he was allowed to talk to the person on the phone, he had a guys voice and sounded like he was from Mexico.

My brother in law finally moved away with his sister, she convinced him to move and she led him into a homeless escapade. He shortly began having strokes and heart attacks. When he was on life support they found out that he had a brain tumor. Sad really.

It is clear to me that these scammers will end up in hell. They are cruel and harm people. And hell is where people like that end up.

Wow, that is a sad situation what happened to your brother in law. Not only being taken for money in his mental capacity....but everything else that happened to him.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow, that is a sad situation what happened to your brother in law. Not only being taken for money in his mental capacity....but everything else that happened to him.
Yeah, I kinda think like he's better off with God. He was homeless most of his life. He got an SSI check but couldn't manage money. He had a home to live in every so often though. But I've been homeless and it is terrible to experience. His life was not fun. He always kept cheerful thru the whole experience.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, I kinda think like he's better off with God. He was homeless most of his life. He got an SSI check but couldn't manage money. He had a home to live in every so often though. But I've been homeless and it is terrible to experience. His life was not fun. He always kept cheerful thru the whole experience.

That's nice he was cheerful through everything he went through.

I feel for the homeless. Here in Los Angeles, they do try to get them housing and help. But some just prefer to live on the street.

Reactions: dev553344 and Nancy

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Heartbreaking. Truly sad and my sympathies though late are with your deceased BiL.

Scammers never truly prosper. That's how I see it anyway. Imagine thinking so little of yourself that you live off of hurting and lying to others. Stolen money will cost them.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Heartbreaking. Truly sad and my sympathies though late are with your deceased BiL.

Scammers never truly prosper. That's how I see it anyway. Imagine thinking so little of yourself that you live off of hurting and lying to others. Stolen money will cost them.
Actually I knew scammers in my life. It's not that they think little of themselves, rather you are treated like property so in fact they think little of you.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We had a scammer here pretending to be a Christian who had lost his wife and spun a sad tale of loss and of being unemployed….I felt sorry for him and offered sympathy, but it wasn’t long before he was hitting me up for rent money……I smelled a rat and when I questioned him and suggested that he was scamming me he got defensive and I reported him. Turns out he has hacked someone’s FaceBook profile and had been hitting on other women here as well. These jerks are everywhere….:no reply: