False "pentecostalism" Today.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Well, as I've said before I'm Bap in the Holy Spirit...Pray in Tongues...heal....have been healed.
And, boy, do people get hot under the collar if I may mention it!
Wild!

Judging is above my pay grade - what a freedom to have that burden lifted.
I recognize the burden in others bec I was there once.
Gosh, to have a renewed mind is a blessing!!!!

And watch - I may get attacked for saying that! Ha!
smile.gif
Miss Hepburn

I certainly won't attack you for it! I believe The Holy Spirit is still... active in Christ's Body today, and healings by The Holy Spirit still happen too. What I don't believe is from The Spirit though, are things like the laughing Church, confusion that some claim is of The Holy Spirit. And I also believe the true cloven tongue will manifest as written in Acts 2.

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
I belong to a Pentecostal Holiness church.
I speak in tongues
Have interpreted tongues by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit
Seen others interpret tongues
Been slain in the Holy Spirit
I have been drunk in the Holy Spirit
I have seen others filled or drunk with the Holy Spirit
I have seen others healed
I priase God in song, and dance
In my church we do have an spontaneous dance that is aunctioned by the Holy Spirit
We just have a good old time in fellowship under the Holy Spirit, preaching Jesus Christ and living in holiness unto God. Whether you like it or not we are Christian and serve the Almight God and are bible based. If you do not like Pentecostal churches do not got to one! I have seen people though become filled with the Holy Ghost and receive tongues and the other gifts of the Holy Spirit and it has changed their lives. A quote you may here us say "Thank God my soul is anchored in Jesus and that Im saved, sanctified, Holy Ghost filled, tongue talking, foot stomping, fire baptized believer!" I love and enjoy my Jesus and his work in my life!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not charismatic by nature - I am quite introverted, however, I see many brothers and sisters in Christ worshiping God in this manner and it appears dynamic. I think the only false Pentecostalism is Oneness Pentecostals. Belief in the Trinity is the dividing line between Christianity and heresy

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Aspen... I agree... Pentecostal doctrine...

Justification - Acquiring faith
Salvation - Accepting Jesus
Sanctification - As the old school Methodist taught it - With a sweet spirit and love.
The Baptism - Tongues.

In which... *William Seymour warned that “Whenever the doctrine of the baptism in the Holy Ghost will only be known as the evidence of speaking in tongues, that work will be an open door for witches and spiritualist and free loveism. That work will suffer because all kinds of spirits can come in.”

I knew a oneness Pentecostal who spoke in tongues... But that was about it. He was very cold and legalistic. The guy ended up backsliding and there was no difference in his character as a sinner then as a Christian.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SID1FZZDtPw

beloved one

Sep 5, 2011
I heard someone put it this way - and I think it's accurate.

There are those who don't like to talk about the Holy Spirit enough - the Baptists. (I go to attend a Baptist church.) Then there are those who like to talk about Him too much. I find myself in the middle ground. I think there are some valuable lessons from the Pentecostal/Charismatic movement(s), but at the same time I don't agree with starting a holy war over a topic which is mentioned a handful of times in the Bible. There is a solid middle ground where we recognize that God's Spirit is still more than active, but at the same time we don't pretend to know someone's Christianity by "signs." There are many good Christian Pentecostals and many good Christian Baptists.
wink.gif

I heard someone put it this way - and I think it's accurate.

There are those who don't like to talk about the Holy Spirit enough - the Baptists. (I go to attend a Baptist church.) Then there are those who like to talk about Him too much. I find myself in the middle ground. I think there are some valuable lessons from the Pentecostal/Charismatic movement(s), but at the same time I don't agree with starting a holy war over a topic which is mentioned a handful of times in the Bible. There is a solid middle ground where we recognize that God's Spirit is still more than active, but at the same time we don't pretend to know someone's Christianity by "signs." There are many good Christian Pentecostals and many good Christian Baptists.
wink.gif

i agree. lately ive been learning that you can over- spiritualize, even though most things are spiritual.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Pentecostalism, unfortunately, makes way for too many 'fakes.' The old timers in our Pentecostal Holiness church would speak and tongues and there would be a 'holy hush' until someone interpreted. The interpretations were very edifying! It was exciting to go to church in those days to hear the Spirit of God speak! The old timers also carried with them the fruits of the Spirit... They were very warm, fun, and loving! Unfortunately, with the coming of new generations, this selfsame Spirit has been lost.

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
Pentecostalism, unfortunately, makes way for too many 'fakes.' The old timers in our Pentecostal Holiness church would speak and tongues and there would be a 'holy hush' until someone interpreted. The interpretations were very edifying! It was exciting to go to church in those days to hear the Spirit of God speak! The old timers also carried with them the fruits of the Spirit... They were very warm, fun, and loving! Unfortunately, with the coming of new generations, this selfsame Spirit has been lost.
I agree totally.

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
-- I have been attended Pentecostal churches across the United States for the last three decades. I have NEVER encountered the tripe that you have listed. Not...even...once.

The pastor of my church speaks glowingly of our brothers and sisters in other Churches. We support them financially if there is an emergency or they are doing mission trips, and he has NEVER questioned the salvation of those attending the churches.

He has said that there are true seekers in all denominations and while those who actually know God and have given their life to Him will go to heaven, many sitting in church every Sunday will not. He included our very church in that assessment. He says that just having your butt in a pew of ANY church doesn't guarantee salvation. Only your personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

We are a Pentecostal church but have never had, "extremes in physical expression, loud music, long sermons and calls for maximum donations."

In all my visits to other Pentecostal church I have NEVER seen: "many is the time that the offering basket is passed and re-passed throughout the pews until the church coffers are over-full. I witnessed one service where a deacon sat on the stage at a card table, counting the donations each time the basket was passed. The service was not allowed to continue until the targeted 'gift' amount was reached."

Is there possibly a church that has done this? Absolutely. Is it the norm in all Pentecostal churches. Absolutely NOT.

Your blanket unsupported, unsubstantiated accusations grow tiresome. Painting an entire denomination based on a limited (or non-existant) personal experience is far worse than the things you accuse these churches of doing.

It is my sincere hope that people are not making decision about following Christ based solely on your input.

Are you accusing me of lying? Of misrepresenting an expression of religious ceremony?

I am not.

The accounts I gave were accurate and true - and witnessed by many. Further, I doubt they are unique.
I will not here publish the name and location of these churches and the persons involved. I think it would be inappropriate.
On the other hand, if your curiosity is too great I will send you the information in a private message as to who was involved, the name of the church as well as its location.

You say that you've traveled all over the uS to visit services. Apparently you've missed a few dark corners.

I do not doubt the purity of the group you are associated with. God knows I wish to be associated with such folk, but I've never found a perfect church, a perfect congregation and a perfect pastor. I have to make do with the people I know. I suspect that most of us have the same experience. Nobody's perfect in my part of the country. I envy your unique situation.

I know I'm not perfect and I guess you'd be first in line to agree with me. I do not doubt your ferver and dedication, but I think your response was a little over the top especially when you weren't in attendance and didn't see what I have seen.

May I say that it's extremely impolite to call someone a liar when you don't even know them.