Favorite Thanksgiving Memory

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for serving our country, especially in Viet Nam. It's unfortunate that our nation didn't back the soldiers of that war like we should have.
Thank you for remembering.
The treatment of soldiers returning from that duty was shameful. I try to be always Christ-like but to this day when I hear anything or read anything about Jane Fonda I have to grit my teeth and pray. I was not in a combat unit, but my signal company lost four men to the Viet Cong during our tour of duty. Two of them I knew personally. One of them attended signal school in Ft Monmouth NJ in the same classroom with me for 35 weeks immediately before receiving orders for Viet Nam. He was only 20 years old. I can never forget the faces of those two who came home to their families in body bags.

When I was a public school teacher, I had a student from the Dominican Republic. He was the sweetest 8th grader I ever had. (Many of my 8th grade students were not sweet at all.) I've wondered what ever happened to him. Of course, that was a long time ago.
Again I was with a signal company just outside of Santo Domingo for my 6 month tour there. It was another one of our country's mistakes overshadowed I guess at the time by Viet Nam. When we used to drive through the city in the back of an open truck in order to get a hot meal and a warm shower, there was one neighborhood where the people always threw rocks at us. But... most of the people we met face to face were very kind to us even though they wished we were not there. I learned both at home and aborad what it was to be an ugly American.

How is your wife doing? I had read on the prayer thread a while back that she needed prayer.
Thanks for the concern.

Just a bit less than an hour ago we got home from the ER. Since she had the blood clot two years ago she is supposed to go into an ER any and every time she has chest pain. This was the case but the doctor says it appears to be an inflammation in her chest due to her recent bout with pneumonia. Nevertheless they took every kind of test possible to rule out the other worse possibilities.

They gave her a shot for the pain and a prescription. While there they put a needle into her hand so as to attached an IV if necessary. When they took out of the room for a CT scan the thing caused the blood in the back of her hand to blow. Now her left hand and arm nearly to the elbow are swollen twice the size of her other hand and arm. Other than that I would say she is OK. The pain in her chest has lessened considerably. She has a heating pad on her hand and arm. In addition to praying for my wife, please also pray that I remain calm instead of getting angry about her hand and arm.

I guess that when it rains it pours.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sometimes, it seems, that seeking medical attention can do more harm than good. That's been my experience at times. Years ago, a doctor prescribed medication for an asthma-like condition I was dealing with, and the meds kept me mostly awake for 3 weeks. I was a basket case going that long without sleep. I got off the meds and did much better.

Both of my parents were harmed by blood thinners. My dad had a massive brain bleed on those meds. In the hospital a cardiologist told my sister that my dad wouldn't been much better off without the meds. My mom was placed on blood thinners for a blood clot in her leg. After minor back surgery, she collapsed and went into ICU. They said that she was losing blood, but they couldn't figure out what was going on. After 2 weeks in ICU, she died.

I couldn't be with my mom in Texas because I was battling some health problems of my own, but my husband and oldest daughter went to be with my dad because he couldn't function on his own. My mom wasn't saved at the time, but my husband sat with her every evening and read the Bible to her. He had done the same for his dad several years before. It was very, very sad. The good thing was, my girls and I had gone out to Texas and spent a few weeks with my parents right before she died (not knowing that it was the last time I would see her). My girls remember it as they best time they had ever spent with my mom thanks to God for having us go.... He knew that we needed to be there!

I don't mean to scare or discourage you, but sometimes I think that doctors prescribe meds too freely. And they don't always tell patients all of the possible negative side effects.

I'll keep you and your wife in my prayers. I know that as my family has gone through many hards times, it has helped just knowing that someone was praying for us!

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Prayer Warrior
Yes on the medical attention harm. My wife early on had some serious problems but she learned to self diagnose and still does a better job than some of our doctors, but when something is needed she is unable to prescribe. She had had more than one run in with doctors who really put too much emphasis on the need for pills when there really is another way.

When she had sever chronic asthma they finally put her on a daily steroid for years which effectively destroyed her immune system. When he asthma was stabilized after so many years she insisted that they get her off of the steroids because of all the terrible side effects. She has been off steroids now for several years but much of her continued suffering and frequent illnesses are due to that defective immune system. People really don't realize how bad steroids are for you. They sometimes do miracle for the moment, but sometimes the cost can be quite high.

Two much doctor error and doctor incompetence for which only the patients pay the price. It should not be with what I see as a tremendous amount of knowledge available... but that is still how it is. I have see too much of it myself... similar to what you experienced with your parents.

My wife was also on blood thinners for several months after her blood clot but she finally got off of those as well. Now it's my turn, This year for the first time they have me on a blood thinner which unless a new and better plan comes along will likely continue the rest of my life. I am slowing down because of age as parts wear out, but I've never had the regular severe problems my other half has had. Sometimes I wish I could simply trust in God alone instead of leaning so heavily on the medical system. Perhaps I could but my wife is my doctor so much of the time, I simply leave it with her and she won't let me go the way I might let myself go. She does a good job caring for me in spite of her own difficulties.

This is the way for us it must go... but I also pray for us as well as for all of these on this forum in need. God can and does streamline things or makes the unbearable bearable. I have one close friend who has lived a lot more by faith in the physical than me, but I know him well enough to know where he has also fudged on his faith. I don't want to do that just for appearance sake.

Having a family that cares and is willing to spend time is a very good thing. Many families have come apart and so many died effectively alone. I saw too much of that when I was working for Social Security. It is one part of that job I don't miss. People without God do not realize the difference living for Him really can make and how even the worst of times can be dealt with because of Him.

I don't scare or discourage so easily. When I lose control of the natural events I have learned to lean even more heavily on the Lord. I guess my worst time was when my wife was rushed to Oklahoma City by ambulance when she had that blood clot. She was really very close to being gone, but God said , "not yet".
I expect to lose her before I go, but being 7 years her senior I may be in for a surprise in that respect. This old flesh of mine is wearing badly.

For many years I have always planted a garden for us. I used to love it working with my hands as opposed to the mental work I did for Uncle Sam. This last Spring I prepared the ground an planted strawberries in our little plot behind out apartment. For all my work and pain for the work was painful we have received not return. The dormant plants never did a thing. In the past I have had other failures and have simply restarted and reworked and replanted. This year I was too tired and simply let it go. Maybe Spring will be better but my 75th birthday is coming up. We'll see if I can do it or not. Perhaps I can get my son to help me get started... but that's not quite the same. Still I have my computer, and my music and my stamps so I never run short of things to keep me busy.

Thanks for the prayers. We are praying as well.

Reactions: Helen

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And I know that you spend time praying. That's one of the best ways we can spend our time!

Sounds like y'all have been through it! In 2007, I came close to death due to lung poisoning. Two trips to emergency rooms were no help at all. One night, I could hardly breathe. I told Jesus that I would go to the hospital if He led me to, or if not, He would have to breathe for me. At times, He did!

I pressed into Jesus and His word for healing. I asked God to remove all symptoms. Over time, I did better, but still struggled sometimes. I finally asked God to let me function whether He removed all symptoms or not. I was home schooling my kids, and they REALLY needed me. Even though I still struggle with symptoms at times, God has been faithful to keep me functioning!

I really appreciate your prayers! Please tell your wife that for me. My family needs prayer more than I can say on this forum. I will continue to keep both of you in my prayers.

Reactions: amadeus

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My other favorite Thanksgiving memory was mom's baked macaroni. Mine is good, but it is nothing like mom's

Reactions: Prayer Warrior

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This year for the first time they have me on a blood thinner which unless a new and better plan comes along will likely continue the rest of my life. I am slowing down because of age as parts wear out, but I've never had the regular severe problems my other half has had. Sometimes I wish I could simply trust in God alone instead of leaning so heavily on the medical system. Perhaps I could but my wife is my doctor so much of the time, I simply leave it with her and she won't let me go the way I might let myself go. She does a good job caring for me in spite of her own difficulties.

Me too John.
I'm stuck on thinners too, probably for the rest of my life.
Ps 31.15 "My times are in Thy hand: deliver me from the hand of mine enemies, " Sickness is our enemy.
I am not as strong in healing now I am much older...aging comes.
We are not all Moses who's 'natural resources were not abated' His eye wasn't dim etc..
Im not sure how much is just bodily wear and tear....
I've known many on thinners who have been on the 20 years with no problems. As long as we get out levels checked regularly we can stay in the safe range.
I guess it is a case of "risk v benefit"/...We would be much good to our spouses if we stroked-out and were drooling in a wheelchair.
So we do what we do, in faith. :)

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My other favorite Thanksgiving memory was mom's baked macaroni. Mine is good, but it is nothing like mom's

We never can do certain dishes as well as our moms did. :) I could never make banana pudding that was as good as my mom's. My daughters tell me that about dishes I make. It must be generational. ;)

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Me too John.
I'm stuck on thinners too, probably for the rest of my life.
Ps 31.15 "My times are in Thy hand: deliver me from the hand of mine enemies, " Sickness is our enemy.
I am not as strong in healing now I am much older...aging comes.
We are not all Moses who's 'natural resources were not abated' His eye wasn't dim etc..
Im not sure how much is just bodily wear and tear....
I've known many on thinners who have been on the 20 years with no problems. As long as we get out levels checked regularly we can stay in the safe range.
I guess it is a case of "risk v benefit"/...We would be much good to our spouses if we stroked-out and were drooling in a wheelchair.
So we do what we do, in faith. :)

Hey, this post is OFF TOPIC!!! Just kidding. We got off topic many posts ago!

I would like a favorite Thanksgiving memory if you care to share one or two....

Reactions: Mayflower

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hey, this post is OFF TOPIC!!! Just kidding. We got off topic many posts ago!

I would like a favorite Thanksgiving memory if you care to share one or two....

We are British...we don't have Thanksgiving in England.
Not where everyone sit and eats themselves silly!! Ha!

In England in October people bring fruit and veggies to the church and it is a 'harvest festival'...then they take foods and they are packed in boxes and given to the old or the poor.
We were in our 30's when we moved here...we never 'got into' the thanksgiving meals and things over here. It just seems like a christmas meal, before Christmas ... :D

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

In England in October people bring fruit and veggies to the church and it is a 'harvest festival'...then they take foods and they are packed in boxes and given to the old or the poor.
We were in our 30's when we moved here...we never 'got into' the thanksgiving meals and things over here. It just seems like a christmas meal, before Christmas ... :D
Lol Helen, you are so correct, seems ike a Christmas meal, before Christmas, ha! We should have "thanksgiving" meals every time we eat! It is a silly "holiday", but I do have good memories as a child walking in the neighborhood on Thanksgiving days, smelling everybody's Turkey and stuff cooking, yum. :D

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Lol Helen, you are so correct, seems ike a Christmas meal, before Christmas, ha! We should have "thanksgiving" meals every time we eat! It is a silly "holiday", but I do have good memories as a child walking in the neighborhood on Thanksgiving days, smelling everybody's Turkey and stuff cooking, yum. :D

I think the USA Thanksgiving is more boring than the Canadian one.
At least in Canada there is TWO months before another turkey!!

Turkey used to be a treat in England...but with turkey twice in a few weeks 'the Christmas turkey' is ruined. :(

And my son in law wants it again at Easter!!! It is no longer a treat.
There must be something said for the war days...everything in my childhood was a treat..even the common orange. ( none during the war and for a few years after)

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I didn't know that you're a Brit. Well, that explains everything.:D (Just kidding, again!)

Seriously, I guess you wouldn't celebrate Thanksgiving Day. I like the idea of taking food to the needy instead of stuffing ourselves with stuffing!

Reactions: Mayflower and Helen

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Mayflower is what the pilgrims took to Plymouth where they had the first Thanksgiving with the Native Americans. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Prayer Warrior

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Turkey used to be a treat in England...but with turkey twice in a few weeks 'the Christmas turkey' is ruined. :(

There must be something said for the war days...everything in my childhood was a treat..even the common orange. ( none during the war and for a few years after)
I like a nice turkey meal once a year, a nice ham for Christmas dinner and a nice tenderloin for New Year dinner. Enough is enough with the turkey!!!! Ahaha! ♥

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It's not silly, Nancy!:( It's about giving thanks to God.

A lot of the early settlers died due to starvation and harsh winter weather. The ones who survived were thankful to God.... Didn't you take history in school? Or did you get the politically correct version that says Thanksgiving is about giving thanks to the Indians....

Let that be a history lesson to you! :)

Reactions: Mayflower and Nancy

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yeah, we definitely need more time between Thanksgiving and Christmas!!!

I'm going to have to be the one dissenter on this thread about too much turkey. I could easily have it once a month!

Reactions: Nancy